About Us
Labels
Distributed Labels
Links

Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads > Sound Installers and Manufacturers

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 27 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-26-2008, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmariog
Greg,

You could stop by tomorrow (AM) & I will change the knobs to blue. I do not have any red left. I will tell ya the blue make the unit sound even better (Lol).

Here is a photo of a unit I shipped to Germany.

Ooooh Yeaaaah, those are nice! How about a GSA ISO3001 ILE ( Italian Limited Edition ) with a green, white, and red knob? Just imagine the sound from that!

Germany, Italy, Costa Rica, the worlds gonna be rockin New Years Eve with the GSA Isolator!

My Beloved Wife

Last edited by Dj Greg G : 12-26-2008 at 06:49 PM.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:11 PM

Germany?
Is this "my" unit or is there somebody else out there in germany with the same taste of knob color?
Old 12-26-2008, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurin
Germany?
Is this "my" unit or is there somebody else out there in germany with the same taste of knob color?

I have the same one.... check it out on page 5. I like a little color in my life. I'm going to get the X3001 and Q5001 with blue knobs too.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:11 PM

are you in germany?
Old 12-27-2008, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdamo
anywhere outside of the states is considered third world to them lol
never been to Costa Rica... so i didn't/don't know...

but i do know, due to family living there, that in places like Bolivia and Viet Nam are still "third world," and you can get almost anything through hole rebuilt/repaired with little effort.... i figure it is the same in other parts of the world also...
Old 12-27-2008, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurin
are you in germany?

No I'm across the Atlantic in the US, did not read your comments correctly.
Old 12-27-2008, 05:58 PM

Germany, Italy, Costa Rica, the worlds gonna be rockin New Years Eve with the GSA Isolator! [/size][/i][/quote]

Just need to add a few more GSA ISO3001 also in Japan, China and one will be on its way to Australia.
Old 12-28-2008, 03:52 PM

Well its been just about a week now since I recieved my isolator and I've put about 10 hours in on the unit so here are my thoughts.

Over all I like the unit. There are a few things I think could have been done better though IMO. I promissed a fair honest review and that is exactly what this will be. I will break it down in to 4 sections: functionality, feel, build quality/metal work and of course sound.

1. Functionality: The unit opperates simply and as it should. Nothing fancy, just a simple 3 band ISO. It is un cluttered and simle to operate. The 0 marking on the pots (12:00) IS absolute unity. Switching the loop in and out on the Rane 2016a there is no change in volume what so ever. I really like the effects switch alot even though I don't have anything plugged into it yet. The switch is exactly where I feel this type of switch should be, on the front panel not the rear. Some effects units degrade sound quality <cough> PIONEER EFX <cough> and this location of this switch allows you to use that unit but keep the loop switched out to keep sound quality intact, and you can engage the loop when an effect is desired. The 3 way design of this switch is a nice touch as well. I tested for bleed and I did find the same issue Greg G metioned in another thread. The highs do have a slight amount of bleed. I think that should have been adressed and corrected before the unit hit production.

2. Feel: I like the feel of the pots. Very smooth with a somewhat tight resistance. I do wish they were still a bit tighter as they will surely loosen with time, but over all not bad. I would compare the feel more to the pots on the Rane 2016a then the Urei LE. Both mixers use Alps Blue velvets, but they feel noticably different between those two units. The Urei is tighter then the Rane, and I have tried multiples of each and found that difference to be consistent between all examples of each. The pots on the GSA are not as tight as on the Urei which I was a little dissapointed in. The spacing of the pots is nice wich adds to the overall feel of the unit IMO.

Build quality/Metal work: I have to be honest, I was disappointed in this area. I don't like the design of the chasis. I just don't feel it is as heavey duty as it should be for a $900 unit. The metal felt somewhat thin to me, and I don't like that the top folds over and is also the back, and the bottom folds up and is also the sides. This is just my oppinion but I don't like that style of chasis. I like to be able to take the top off to look at the board without removing half the chasis. I have been told that this is the same chasis as the original RLA X-3000. Well, if that is the case then I don't like the chasis on the original RLA X-3000 either. Just because RLA did it the same doesn't make it good automatically. Another thing I noticed that disturbed me was the GAPING holes the RCA conectors poke through. I feel like at least SOME attempt should have been made to fit the connectors to the back plate a little better. It just doesn't scream quality fit and finish to me. But again, just my oppinion. To be fair though I will say that once the unit is mounted in your console these are all non issues. I still feel like the build could have been done better though for a $900 unit.

Sound Quality: This is the main reason I wanted to hold off on commenting. I wanted to be fair, and give the unit a chance bcause when I first installed it I did not like the sound. The highs and upper mids sounded harsh to me, the snare hits sounded metalic, and the bass did not sound as clean as it should IMO. The sound DID start to change after playing on the unit for about two hours. This is SPECIFICALLY why I decided to wait on commenting, because the sound changed for the better after a couple hours which led me to think maybe the unit needs a break in period or something. I don't know, but I DO know somehow the sound started to change after the first couple hours. TO BE FAIR after giving the unit 10 hours of use and making some tweaks to my system the unit sounds MUCH better now. The bass sounds full and warm, the mids and snare sounds as they should (the metalic sound has disappeared). The highs do still sound a little harsh and hashy to me though. I listened to the unit on my modest studio system, and also recorded some audio to take my studio rig out of the equation and listen back in some different environments. I only tested with dance music. My reasoning on that is simple. The unit is for DJ use, and while I like all types of music I play house when I dj, so that is the only music that counts as far as I'm concerned.

So, there you have it. These are my honest thoughts about the unit after 10 hours of use. If I had to give it a rating of 1-10, 1 being the lowest and 10 being the highest I would rate it a 7. It is a very nice unit, but some things could have been done better IMO which would have given a higher rating.

I will say the unit will come in very handy for gigs. I will be packing it in my record bag and taking it to gigs for sure... cuzz no one out here has isolators installed and I'm addicted to them lol. I will also say that I will be buying the matching 5 band program EQ to go with it when it is released.

Watch me spin live Saturdays 3-5PM PST here
http://www.stickam.com/faderwaveradio

Baba Booey!
Old 12-28-2008, 08:53 PM

Hey Kevin,

Gary Stewart likes to keep the spirit of RLA designs alive. I find all GSA products previous and forth coming try to stay as true to RLA as possible. I believe it's the GSA way of paying homage to RLA. If the design work probably made a difference sonically, then I would imagine the issue would be addressed.

Actually the chassis is not a heavy metal, it is anodized aluminum. It is designed this way to keep the weight down, as a mobile DJ I appreciate this feature.

These RCA connectors are actually connected to the board unlike other RCA connectors that merely have a screw holding them in place. These RCA connectors have been proven to be trouble free for over 30 years.

I have several units with the same Blue ALPS pots and they all feel different. I personally don't want extremely tight pots on an Isolator. It defeats the purpose.

As far as a warm up period; well there are no tubes and there's nothing but carbon filled resistors and capacitors. You will get the same sound instantly as well as 24 hours later.

A score of 7, 7 ain't bad but I'd give it a little higher score than that because hey, nothing is perfect.

Mario on the other hand love's the number 7 ! I was at his house yesterday getting my knobs replaced on my isolator ( I decided on Bozak knobs ) and in 7 days he sold another 50 units.

Whodathunkit!

Last edited by Dj Greg G : 12-29-2008 at 01:06 PM.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj Greg G
Gary Stewart likes to keep the spirit of RLA designs alive. I find all GSA products previous and forth coming try to stay as true to RLA as possible. I believe it's the GSA way of paying homage to RLA. If the design work probably made a difference sonically, then I would imagine the issue would be addressed.

Actually the chassis is not metal it is anodized aluminum. It is designed this way to keep the weight down, as a mobile DJ I appreciate this feature.

These RCA connectors are actually connected to the board unlike other RCA connectors that merely have a screw holding them in place. These RCA connectors have been proven to be trouble free for over 30 years.

I have several units with the same Blue ALPS pots and they all feel different. I personally don't want extremely tight pots on an Isolator. It defeats the purpose.

As far as a warm up period; well there are no tubes and there's nothing but carbon filled resistors and capacitors. You will get the same sound instantly as well as 24 hours later.

A score of 7, 7 ain't bad but I'd give it a little higher score than that because hey, nothing is perfect.

Mario on the other hand love's the number 7 ! I was at his house yesterday getting my knobs replaced on my isolator ( I decided on Bozak knobs ) and in 7 days he sold another 50 units.

Whodathunkit!

Greg,

I understand what you are saying, but the unit being true to RLA isn't a priority for me. I think most of us here like the RLA STYLE systems and processors etc, but there is also something to be said for expanding on Richards original ideas and principles and moving forward and bringing those ideas into the here and now by improving on them.. I mean Richard has been dead and gone for over 20 years. At some point you gotta move on lol. I don't really like the build of the chasis. That doesn't mean I don't like the unit, it just means I don't like the chasis design. Oh, and to be technical, last time I checked aluminum IS a type of metal lol.

As for the RCA connections, my issue isn't how they are connected to the board, its the huge gaping holes they come out of in the metal back of the unit. I just think that could have been done better.

As for the need of a warm up period, I agree it shouldn't need one. BUT, I don't know what to tell you man, the unit sounds better to me now then it did when i first plugged it in. I don't know why that is, I just know that it IS.

AS I said originally I like the unit over all. I even stated I plan to buy the 5 way EQ when released. But... as you say NOTHING is perfect and I simply stated my likes and dislikes about this piece. As for the number 7 your right, 7 is not a bad number OR bad rating... did I mention my unit IS serial # 7 lol

Baba Booey!

Last edited by Kevin James : 12-28-2008 at 09:16 PM.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:58 PM

Hey Kevin, Thanks for the review...We all cant agree on everything but that's what makes life beautiful!

As far as the chassis goes is....It looks VERY well constructed to me but I honestly couldnt care less about that. I do know that GSA went with certain design elements - NOT to be true to RLA but because they are TRIED and TESTED and have withstood the test of time. It's assuring to know that those elements are incorporated into the Isolator.

The pots feel great to me. Im with Greg on this one...I dont really want or need really tight pots on an Isolator or Crossover. They feel perfect to me.

My opinion: I LOVE IT and I never thought I'd ever replace my E&S but I have. Soundwise it's transparent and thats exactly what I want. Economically speaking, the price is right and having the extra effects switch rocks too.

It's #1 in my book....and did I mention, I have SERIAL #1.

(Also Kevin, were in the same boat as far as Isolators go...Ive tried EVERYTHING out there! It once again goes back to the fact that we're all individuals as far as our preferences and what sounds good to each of us.)

Last edited by djhh212 : 12-28-2008 at 10:05 PM.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhh212
Hey Kevin, Thanks for the review...We all cant agree on everything but that's what makes life beautiful!

As far as the chassis goes is....It looks VERY well constructed to me but I honestly couldnt care less about that. I do know that GSA went with certain design elements - NOT to be true to RLA but because they are TRIED and TESTED and have withstood the test of time. It's assuring to know that those elements are incorporated into the Isolator.

The pots feel great to me. Im with Greg on this one...I dont really want or need really tight pots on an Isolator or Crossover. They feel perfect to me.

My opinion: I LOVE IT and I never thought I'd ever replace my E&S but I have. Soundwise it's transparent and thats exactly what I want. Economically speaking, the price is right and having the extra effects switch rocks too.

It's #1 in my book....and did I mention, I have SERIAL #1.

(Also Kevin, were in the same boat as far as Isolators go...Ive tried EVERYTHING out there! It once again goes back to the fact that we're all individuals as far as our preferences and what sounds good to each of us.)

Maybe I should have been more specific on my comment on the pots. They are perfect as they are. If they stayed as they are now forever that would be perfect. They will end up loosening over time though, and THAT is why I would like tighter pots, so when they DO loosen they don't ever get to a point where they are looser then they are right now. Hope that makes sense.

By the way... I like the red cap on your switch.

Baba Booey!
Old 12-28-2008, 10:23 PM

Thanks for the correction Kevin on the Aluminum, I meant to type it's not a heavy metal. Sometimes when I reread or spell check I skip a thing or two.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:32 PM

Quote:
I decided on Bozak knobs

Good choice Greg!

How about you keep Mario working and have him swap out the red Urei LED's for Bozak Green on the Iso and Crossover.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Good choice Greg!

How about you keep Mario working and have him swap out the red Urei LED's for Bozak Green on the Iso and Crossover.

I've been thinking about that ever since I got the Isolator. Great minds think alike!

My Beloved Wife
Old 12-29-2008, 07:30 AM

Kevin, capacitors need break in time, not endless months IMO, but after two weeks the sound will settle into it's final tone, and your desired sonics.

Basically, what happens is that brand new caps being fresh, the dielectric is hasn't charged on and off, and signal passing thru gets weird sounding. This is why many companies have a burn in period before shipping electronics and amps.

This is the metallic, hashy texture u heard. And, yes one adjusts systems differently than when using a different brand and make as well.

I think the GSA will grow on you, its a more polite solid state sound, and at first, I also was not sure, TILL I PLAYED REAL MUSIC, and tweaked.

I will say this, MIXER IS ALL IMPORTANT! I liked the GSA with the Rane 2016, liked it with original Urei 1620, and HATED with the 1620LE. But, it is not the GSA I don't like its the LE!

I understand what your saying about the chassis, but, the RLA was the same, it will hold up. And, hey, it is made to SOUND PROPER, AND fit a PRICEPOINT, too! This was and IS important. Mario priced it right, and will sell many ISO,s I think.

You really want a tighter pot? Well you have your opinion, but they are tight enough for me.

I love the loop design too, and Im getting a pair of Summit Audio FEQ-50,s to put into the GSA loop.

Play on it more, in a few days, come tell us your thoughts then, as well.

For me, personally, I kind of like its more subtle tonal sound character, it isnt wearing off, you know? The ISO grows on me.

And the tube Summits in GSA,s loop being switchable in/out is cool, when you want tube color, and when you don;t. Consider that your listening to tube sound quite a while now, and tubes, while nice and blown up sounding they are, it is coloration. I like it too. And sometimes it gets overdone as well.

One thing is certain, I played alot of REAL music thru the GSA and it didn't make me take it out. Most DJ gear I don't like for REAL music, ya know? This is good, and I like it with everything.

It won't break, don't fear, it is built solid, more than you think. Use it!
Old 12-29-2008, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubman5
I think the GSA will grow on you, its a more polite solid state sound

+1 SCOTTY.

It's transparency is crystal clear which is a quality I really appreciated in the E&S. The Crossover points are PERFECT and the effects loop is a great option to have. Add its price point to the picture and the GSA is destined to be a classic IMHO!

PLAY WITH WHAT YOU LIKE AND WHAT MAKES YOU LIKE TO PLAY MORE!

Last edited by djhh212 : 12-29-2008 at 08:05 AM.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubman5
Kevin, capacitors need break in time, not endless months IMO, but after two weeks the sound will settle into it's final tone, and your desired sonics.

Basically, what happens is that brand new caps being fresh, the dielectric is hasn't charged on and off, and signal passing thru gets weird sounding. This is why many companies have a burn in period before shipping electronics and amps.

This is the metallic, hashy texture u heard. And, yes one adjusts systems differently than when using a different brand and make as well.

I think the GSA will grow on you, its a more polite solid state sound, and at first, I also was not sure, TILL I PLAYED REAL MUSIC, and tweaked.

I will say this, MIXER IS ALL IMPORTANT! I liked the GSA with the Rane 2016, liked it with original Urei 1620, and HATED with the 1620LE. But, it is not the GSA I don't like its the LE!

I understand what your saying about the chassis, but, the RLA was the same, it will hold up. And, hey, it is made to SOUND PROPER, AND fit a PRICEPOINT, too! This was and IS important. Mario priced it right, and will sell many ISO,s I think.

You really want a tighter pot? Well you have your opinion, but they are tight enough for me.

I love the loop design too, and Im getting a pair of Summit Audio FEQ-50,s to put into the GSA loop.

Play on it more, in a few days, come tell us your thoughts then, as well.

For me, personally, I kind of like its more subtle tonal sound character, it isnt wearing off, you know? The ISO grows on me.

And the tube Summits in GSA,s loop being switchable in/out is cool, when you want tube color, and when you don;t. Consider that your listening to tube sound quite a while now, and tubes, while nice and blown up sounding they are, it is coloration. I like it too. And sometimes it gets overdone as well.

One thing is certain, I played alot of REAL music thru the GSA and it didn't make me take it out. Most DJ gear I don't like for REAL music, ya know? This is good, and I like it with everything.

It won't break, don't fear, it is built solid, more than you think. Use it!

Some people are telling me I'm crazy, it doesn't need a break in period. Well, I know what I heard and after a few hours the sound started to change for the better. To those that think thats bullshit, think what you want.

The pots.... did you read what I said? I already addressed that. They are perfect as they are. The fact they will loosen over time is the reason I wish they were a bit tighter, because I do not want them any looser then they are now.

The chasis, again I already know the RLA was the same and again that means NOTHING to me. That doesn't make it good..... sorry but thats my oppinion.

I hear you on the REAL music, BUT I'm not going to be spinning jazz or classical music or even classic rock etc when I dj.... only nice deep soulful smooth house music. That being the case that is the only music that matters.

But again I will say over all I like the unit, as with anything there were a few things I didn't like thats all.

Baba Booey!
Old 12-29-2008, 11:36 AM

Break in period and components stabilizing in sonic trait is mot BS!

If it were amp maker, and other audio devices wouldn't be put on a burn in rack, where components are left on for a specified period of time.

Caps vary and fluctuate a bit till they stabilize, some things break in quick, others take forever.

New tubes, you can hear them changing a bit till they burn in, I found the 12Ax7A to stabilize within a few days.

Harry used the right word, I find the GSA pretty transparent, and also takes on the sound of whatever else you use. And for this, I LIKE IT.

Yeah, Im sure if desired it possibly could be made even better, but you know? $895 and its really good. Hard to beat. Tell you something else! Some of the parts used, an engineer and assembly plant look and say YOU can get better! BUT, certain things chosen for a particular sound, and IT WORKS! Mario and I spoke, and Gary knows his gear, and what to use and why. They used a specific brand of carbon film resistor,nothing exotic, BUT I like the way things built with them sound. I said to mario use this, he told me that was what he used, and he and gary had discussed it.

Of course nothing in our world is perfect, even the RLA has it,s flaws. For the period I loved the RLA and these days prefer other things.

The alps pots are said to be of fair sonic quality in the audiophile world, and somehow, I like them. Most high end gear either has no attenuators or has stepped attenuators with 1% metal film resistors. But I still like pots, and pots influence sound, too.

Besides that, the GSA represents great value. It sounds beyond it's moderate price, and is useful. THIS is what makes classic gear!

I understand and respect your opinion, Kevin, about the pots, your entitled. The feeling you want are carbon composition pots, new, these are not really available widely anymore, and they wear out, and I, personally, think todays carbon comp pots are not as good as yesteryears simply because the industry no longer buys and uses the volume as they did years ago.

Conductive plastics are good, and are made well, to fairly precise tolerance. And don't get noisy with age and wear.

For what it is, at the pricepoint, Gary and Mario did a GREAT JOB! I would rather hear this than the yellow knobs thing from PDS, or Vestax.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:42 AM

Kevin,

No one here said youre crazy. If anything, Scotty was agreeing with you and offered a reason why it might've sounded "off" to you when you 1st plugged it in. Everyone has different likes and dislikes. You stated preferences that werent things I would necessarily look for in an Isolator. The next guy stated why he likes certain things and so on, and so on.

In the end, we'll all use what we like and what sounds best to us.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Kevin,

No one here said youre crazy. If anything, Scotty was agreeing with you and offered a reason why it might've sounded "off" to you when you 1st plugged it in. Everyone has different likes and dislikes. You stated preferences that werent things I would necessarily look for in an Isolator. The next guy stated why he likes certain things and so on, and so on.

In the end, we'll all use what we like and what sounds best to us.

Sorry, I was in a hurry when I posted that. I should clarify. I wasn't refering to anyone here when I said people are telling me I'm crazy about the break in period. It was actually a couple other people I was talking to that are not memebers here. Sorry for the confusion.

And I agree, we all have different preferences and thats what makes us unique. No problem with that

Baba Booey!
Old 12-29-2008, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin James
Another thing I noticed that disturbed me was the GAPING holes the RCA conectors poke through.

Have any of you ever tried to use a Hosa cable, Monster cable or one of those super duper big ass expensive cables that I can't even pronounce in the effects loop on a Urei 1620? You can't do it! Some of those cables won't fit together even on the RCA phono and Aux inputs on some mixers. Anyone of those cables will fit in any GSA unit.

This is the one time in my life when I actually prefer a gaping hole.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to dino59
everyone talking gsa ,those anyone have a used gsa crossover for sale and allready know about Mario ,and met him but lookking for a used one maybe even a good deal you can email me thanks Dino nyc area
please
Old 12-29-2008, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Have any of you ever tried to use a Hosa cable, Monster cable or one of those super duper big ass expensive cables that I can't even pronounce in the effects loop on a Urei 1620? You can't do it! Some of those cables won't fit together even on the RCA phono and Aux inputs on some mixers. Anyone of those cables will fit in any GSA unit.

This is the one time in my life when I actually prefer a gaping hole.

I use mogami rca cables. They fit and they are inexpensive. Don't think they sound much better than hosa. I just like mogami, all my cables are mogami. I like to be consistent.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:09 PM

Ok, i just changed the oil in my new GSA iso3001, Im goin to put synthetic 10w 30 in it and really beat on her New Years Eve!!!!! lolololol

Just joking !!!