Labels
Distributed Labels
Links

Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-08-2005, 12:16 PM

Club Pacha

I went to club Pacha for there invite party last night. Here is my 2 cents if anyone cares? The place was nice, not to much different from the looks of the Sound Factory. I was a little disapointed about that because i thought they wanted to make a different club scene more warm feeling? The outside was nothing special just a fresh coat of paint and some tents that were being takin down by 1:30am. They moved the dj booth to were the stage was in the Factory and took off the metal covering that was on the pillers and replaced it with some kind of material. The place looked more like a club and not just an after hours spot but it still had that dark feel. They added as many areas for table service as they could. The sound system sounded pretty good. They had the EV alphas on the main floor i think 8 or 10 full range boxes hanging in the corners and middle(like the ones they had in Space in Miami). Around the bar and under the walkways they had small EV boxes and EAW boxes hanging. The subs were EV alphas. It looked to me that there were 6 or 8 along one wall on the main floor. Maybee some under the stairs going to the secound level. There were no tweeter boxes hanging from the ceiling. I couldnt see what was in the dj booth but i know they had some kind of isolator because the DJ was killing the bass some times. All in all it sound good to me but im no expert! Definitly didnt have the womp bass from the berthas but it had alot of kick. There wasnt enough bouncer or managers running the bottle service areas. Anyone could walk in and out definitly didnt feel like you were recieving vip treatment but maybee bacause it was the invite party and they wanted it that way? Im sure it will get better as they gain more expereince. It definitly doesnt beat Crobar just two different designs!

Henry
Old 12-08-2005, 07:44 PM

I ALSO FORGOT TO MENTION THAT THERE WAS ANOTHER 2 FLOORS THAT I DIDNT GET TO SEE BECAUSE I GUESS THOSE FLOORS WERE FOR THE REAL INVITES OR GUESTS. THEY PROBLY WILL BE OPEN TO EVERYONE ON FRIDAY?
Old 12-08-2005, 09:37 PM

Out of the box sound in a space like that. Sorry a disgrace. I may go the the Saint at Large party New Years Eve but based on your assesment sounds like what I expected from an out of the box digital sound system how disappointing

James
Old 12-09-2005, 01:09 PM
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally posted by LuvLatins
Out of the box sound in a space like that. Sorry a disgrace. I may go the the Saint at Large party New Years Eve but based on your assesment sounds like what I expected from an out of the box digital sound system how disappointing

James

Well, there's actually no such thing as an "out of the box" system. Speakers are like building blocks, you use the ones most appropriate to do the job. Somebody probably put at least some thought into what should go in there and where to put it. On the other hand they might not have been has dedicated as Gary, Shorty or Richard Long would have. Maybe the sound in there is good, I would definitely not knock it until I've heard it.

It doesn't really matter if you use custom made boxes, factory made boxes or vintage gear. If you don't know how to use them it, the end result will not be good. A friend of mine used to own a sound and light rental company. I'm still amazed of how some sound guys could get the worst sound out of the boxes he had and how some could get a really good sound.

I definitely don't have any preference in vintage or new equipment. All I know is when somebody pays more than $50,000 on a sound system that sounds crap, then somebody has done a bad job with the equipment at hand or a bad decision. Most speakers and amps of today have the potential to sound at least good, but some people have a hard time achieving even that, so for bad sound I never blame the equipment.

The really great sound takes years of experience and a lot of dedication be able to achieve, which makes it expensive. Dedication is also important for club owners to have. A lot of club owners today are in the business for the wrong reasons, wether they want fame, money or girls. The clubs of yesterday were run by people dedicated to the people, the party, the dance and the music. That's what makes a great club and those people usually have a different eye for details. Every once in a while there actually is one of those clubs popping up, but they have to fight the competition from the commercial clubs and it's a tough fight.

Excuse my ranting, but I don't want to bad mouth a place I've never been to, just because they have the wrong brand of speakers or the wrong color paint on the walls. I really hope the guys behind Pacha NY are dedicated to the right elements and I wish them the best of luck.

/Daniel

Last edited by daniels : 12-09-2005 at 01:13 PM.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:02 PM

your correct Daniels, I have not hear it and that is why I said, I may go to the Saint and Large party to hear it for myself. However based on the above post and the fact that it is "out of the box" does not get me all excited. Dont know why you say there is really no such thing as an out of the box system. Out of the box to me means sold by numerous Speaker Manufaturers, It means any one can buy it and install it. Why do you think that when you buy a Mcintosh power amp they "require you to use certain installers approved by them to install it" Becasue they are Mcintosh and not simply "Out of the Box" Gear. This system is common, anyone can buy it and install it. You yourself said, "
Quote:
Somebody probably put at least some thought into what should go in there and where to put it.
I say the system is out of the box only to mean that no big name installer was engaged to do the work and in a club of that size I think that is disappointing. Granted, that does not mean that it could not be ajusted by audio professionals later to sound nice. (Which ultimely is what will probably happen after no one gets excited or bothers to come.) What it does mean for sure however, IMO is that it will never be fantastic or one of the ones that you rememver forever, like the Saint, The Garage, The Loft, Studio etc.

I wish them the best of luck also observation was to identify that it appears to be out of the box meaning it will probably never been anything spectacular.

JB
Old 12-09-2005, 02:14 PM

don't know that I would call the installer a nobody...

not to step on anyone's toes... but check the results...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...&b tnG=Search

did a quick google search on Lord Toussaint and infinate audio...

not exactly an unknown... maybe not a shorty/gary/dick short kinda installer, but ....

**edited for bad spelling***

dsa_audio or Mistick Krewe or dave

Last edited by louped garou : 12-09-2005 at 02:32 PM.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:21 PM

WOW !

Make me eat my words louped garou (So there is hope then after all)
Old 12-09-2005, 02:26 PM

didn't mean to make you look bad...

JFWY

also Pacha has on board the promoter from the Asseteria parties -- so the promotional emails/e-flyers should have a solid distribution list as well...

only time will tell tho'...

Old 12-09-2005, 03:14 PM

Sorry, but Mcintosh is "off the shelf" too. Anybody *can* buy them and hook them up, and anybody who buys one and then relies on some special installer to connect their amp has more money than sense.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:20 PM

Quote:
For the Consumer's Protection
In order to ensure the highest level of customer satisfaction, "new" McIntosh products may only be purchased over-the-counter or delivered and installed by an Authorized McIntosh Dealer.

McIntosh products that are purchased over the Internet, by phone or mail order are presumed to be "used" and do not qualify for any McIntosh Warranty.

McIntosh does not warrant, in any way, products that are purchased from anyone who is not an Authorized Dealer or that have had their serial number altered or defaced.

At McIntosh Laboratory, you come first!
Old 12-09-2005, 03:24 PM

IMO

Clearly at McIntosh they have this policy in place to discourage any common joe from taking one home and hooking it up incorrectly, and to ensure the good name and outstanding reputation that comes with owning a peice of history.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:49 PM

Maybee my post was missunderstood. I didnt say that Pacha sounded bad at all! There are no tweeter arrays for that high end sizzel and different subs then the NYC standard Berthas that put out that low rumble. The bass kick really hard. I think they definity didnt just plug in the speakers to a bunch of amps and called it a day. There had to be adjustments made threw there driveracks. And my comment about the paint was because i was expecting to see a totally different stlye of club "like they said in the article in club system magazine" to me the 2 main floors werent that different from the sound factory just alot of vip tables and 2 showers.

Henry
Old 12-09-2005, 04:09 PM

Thumbs down

Definately not a WORLD CLASS SOUND SYSTEM...
Old 12-09-2005, 04:20 PM

If I won a coupla million dollars....

I would like to tour the country listening to various clubs installed by the same installers and get a feel for each room's unique character, or lack thereof...

Old 12-09-2005, 04:59 PM
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally posted by dancetomybeat
Definately not a WORLD CLASS SOUND SYSTEM...

How's that for a nuanced and detailed comment

TheDJay, I didn't misunderstand your post. I found it interesting and I do believe that system has potential. Just because it's not using Berthas, have tweeter arrays or was installed by Richard Long doesn't automatically mean it sounds bad. It's just a different approach.

James, what I meant in my rant was that I can buy, say a McIntosh amp, hook it up and make it sound terrible when used improperly. I can also set up a generic Sony amp and make it sound decent. When used properly most of today's higher end audio components can sound pretty good.

So, when buying a sound system from a reputable company, you're not paying for the individual components of the system and you shouldn't have to worry about it either. What you're paying for is the whole package and the comfort of knowing someone has spent the time and effort to find components that work together in your room, regardless of what the components are. Thus, "out of the box" can indeed sound good, if used properly.

/Daniel
Old 12-09-2005, 05:55 PM

Daneils Thats my point, I never said it sounded bad i said it sounded good to me but im not an expert. I just made the comment about the tweeters and subs to give a discription of the setup so people that arent able to go see the club for themselfs have an idea of whats there. Im not trying to put the system down just giving my opinion.

Henry
Old 12-09-2005, 07:37 PM

I'd be interested in more information and opinions from people who have actually heard the sound system in question. Any changes/improvements after opening night?
Old 12-09-2005, 09:53 PM

This board is so funny sometimes. The only point I was trying to make this entire time is that I was disappointed that a real "Super Star" RLA type installer was not putting in this system. Its not often in NYC that a club opens. Its a MAJOR event and we on here get into a dialouge for days about, "Out of the Box", need to have pros install it, "I did not mean to say, this or that."

Come on lets face it, ITS MANHATTAN for GODS SAKE. It should have been a major annoucement. It should have been on television, it should have been all over the dance community. Instead someone digs out a site www.goinfinite.com/pub/08_news.htm and they won one award. Big f***ing deal. Has anyone on hear heard of Infinite Audio Systems, Inc. Not me. Ok I sound bitter, perhaps I am, but come on its NEW YORK CITY the dance capital of the WORLD. Splash Sucks, the Saint is history, the Garage is gone. What is there gentelemen ? Shelter ? Come ON !!!! I was hoping for major news the return of someting GREAT and we on here are bicking about out of the box and splitting hairs. And tip toeing. LOOK BOTTOM LINE does anyone out there think this club is GREAT !

Another GARAGE ! Another SAINT !

Doubt it. (I stand by my origial comments - Its Out of the BOX) and nothing FANTASTIC. I am a typical New Yorker, that means SHOW ME PROOF its awsome, or go away. OK OK, I know I have not heard it yet but Im betting I will not come out saying WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW

JB
Old 12-10-2005, 01:31 AM

damn James -- go smoke some weed...

Old 12-10-2005, 01:35 AM

Hehehe (I do get passionate sometimes dont I)
Just got tired of all the BS in this thread. Inhaling deeply and handing off to Louped.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Hehehe (I do get passionate sometimes dont I)
Just got tired of all the BS in this thread. Inhaling deeply and handing off to Louped.

Passion is good... as is history... only time will tell if the current trends in the big US installations will hold up. I hope they don't; not in the clubs at least. The staduim soudn right now is pretty good though. we'll see in time...

I personally prefer the older analog stuff. And I have a fairly recent EV amp too -- its nice, but more like a PA amp with a loud fan for cooling. But it's not the greatest sounding am I have ever heard, but i got it farily cheap too...

Have you heard what the citizens of Denver recently passed? Posession of up to 1 oz as legal! The local authorities have said that they will continue to issue misdemeanor tickets (I think they run about $150) for simple posession under state law, though.

Bunch of hippies up here, I tell ya' -- and all the clubs in Denverhave to learn to turn the lights down -- every single one of 'em are too damn bright.

Old 12-10-2005, 02:20 AM

As you already know, I am an old Queen. The best country I ever visited was Amsterdam. As many probably know, hash (White Opium) is legal. In fact when I was there in 1976 we watched a great band perform at the ¡§Milky Way¡¨ night club and the system was NOT ¡§Out of the Box¡¨ ( LOL)

The club was right up the street form the Police Department. The Society in Amsterdam did not fall apart. My entire family here in the US are lawyers and my Dad, said a great thing IMO a few years ago ¡§None Violent Offenses¡¨ like Sex Crimes and prostitution are destroying the Court System in the United States and are a total waste of time and money.

I so agree, but then again I live in the USA so guess I need to just get annoyed on this website by idiots that continue to claim that Pacha is good, might be good, possibly may be good, only time will tell bullshit.

Did you know that the editor of the magazine Club Systems, Kari Mason, who gave Infinite Audio Systems, Inc., the award also now allegedly works at Pacha. I am an old Queen and I was born at night but just not Last Night.

I know, louped garou your thinking, god LuvLatins will just not give it up but I am a life fan of good music, and good weed or not, Pacha is IMO still a huge disappointment. Hey louped if you give me an award I will hire you too. LMAO

OK now pass that Dubi louped (Huge Grin)

James, a silly old Queen. But a wise one ļ
Old 12-10-2005, 02:36 AM

Sorry reposting first post was a mess

As you already know, I am an old Queen. The best country I ever visited was Amsterdam. As many probably know, hash (White Opium) is legal. In fact when I was there in 1976 we watched a great band perform at the Milky Way a night club in Amsterdam and the system was NOT Out of the Box (LOL).

The club was right up the street form the Police Department. The Society in Amsterdam did not fall apart. My entire family here in the US are lawyers and my Dad, said a great thing IMO a few years ago. Non Violent Crimes and Offenses like Sex Crimes and Prostitution are destroying the Court System in the United States and are a total waste of time and money.

I so agree, but then again I live in the USA so I guess I need to just get annoyed on this website by idiots that continue to claim that Pacha is a good install, might be good, possibly may be good, only time will tell bullshit.

Did you know that the editor of the magazine Club Systems, Kari Mason, who gave Infinite Audio Systems, Inc., the award also now allegedly works at Pacha. I am an old Queen and I was born at night but just not Last Night.

I know, louped garou your thinking, God LuvLatins will just not give it up but I am a life fan of good music, and good weed or not, Pacha is IMO still a huge disappointment. Hey louped if you give me an award I will hire you too. LMAO

OK now pass that Dubi louped (Huge Grin)

James, a silly old Queen. But a wise one (Wink)
Old 12-10-2005, 02:44 AM

Thanks for putting up with me eveyone Im done with this Pancha BS

Regards James
Old 12-10-2005, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Did you know that the editor of the magazine Club Systems, Kari Mason, who gave Infinite Audio Systems, Inc., the award also now allegedly works at Pacha.

James, I know you simply wanted to share your first impressions of the venue and its new sound system, but I'd like to clarify a couple of points before we move on:

Infinite did win a Club World Award in 2003 for the sound system at Space (Miami), and shared a 2005 CWA for the installation at Rain (Las Vegas).

Kerri Mason, the Managing Editor of Club Systems International, does indeed work at Pacha.

Although CSI sponsors the CWAs, the winners are actually determined by ten judges, all of whom work in or around the nightclub industry. Some past judges, like Dawn Batsche of Batsche Designs, have been chosen for their knowledge of interior design (one of the CWA categories). Others, such as Eric Bernstein of Intelligent Lighting Services, were picked because of their lighting expertise. Still others, like Diabolique, were selected for their style, wit, and encyclopedic knowledge of clubland.

Obviously, some of the judges know more about nightclub sound systems than others. Also, not all of the judges have had an opportunity to experience each nominated sound system in person. As a result, the judging process tends to be rather subjective.

All of the CWA nominees are invited to submit information packets to the judges. Some firms carefully document their design goals and the installation process. Others simply submit an equipment list. Some installers include press clippings and photos in their packets, others send photocopied product cut sheets.

Last year, Infinite submitted a glossy folder full of information about the Rain's sound system, including floor plans, glowing reviews from various publications, and a DVD which documented the entire installation process.

Despite this, Infinite did not win the category. The company ended up sharing top honors with Phazon (nominated for Mansion in Miami).

Like all awards shows, the CWAs tend to be something of a popularity contest. Kerri, however, does not attempt to influence the voting in any way, much to the dismay of some of CSI's more prominent advertisers.

Anyway, I do appreciate your honest assessment of the Pacha installation. You've made some very interesting points, several of which are no doubt already being discussed in a certain New York office.