Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-14-2005, 01:08 PM

The very first 1620?

I'm working on an article for Club Systems International, and I need a definitive answer to the following question:

When was the first 1620 produced?

Every source I contact tells me a different story, so I'm turning to the mighty wavemusic community for help. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Mario, Shorty, Bueller, anyone?

Thanks in advance.

John Landers
Old 07-14-2005, 01:15 PM

?

They hit the market with production models in 1982 or 1983! So my guess would be 1981 or 82. Im sure they had done a prototype or two earlier than this!

Last edited by clubman5 : 07-14-2005 at 02:08 PM.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:20 PM

Thanks, Scott! Was that was after UREI had been acquired by JBL?
Old 07-14-2005, 01:20 PM

cool -- the CSI ppl hang out here too...

great rag....

but I gotta say, I had hoped for more pics in the gentleman's club issue....

Do you all have any more info on the Force of Magnitude Foundation mixer that was mentioned in the same issue? (I think it was installed in the Dayton club featured) also IIRC it was tied to chicago,s sound investment company in some way....

the article said it was an extreme approach to a discrete signal path with a power supply of over 20#s

sorry for the thread HiJAck

dsa_audio or Mistick Krewe or dave
Old 07-14-2005, 01:32 PM

I think....

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnL
Thanks, Scott! Was that was after UREI had been acquired by JBL?
I think Urei was Harman owned by this time! But Im not 100% sure!

Harman acquired Urei in 1981 or 1983, not sure which!

Legend has it, Richard Long sent a Bozak to Urei, telling them THIS is what the market needs, and they threw a prototype together rather quickly! As Bozak was on the way out, the market DID need a high quality mixer to be able to buy and use! They came out with the 1620, which had the additional input matrix, booth output as well as both balanced and unbalanced house outputs, and ALPS CP pots that lasted much longer than carbon pots, it was an overnight success!

Last edited by clubman5 : 07-14-2005 at 02:09 PM.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:34 PM

[quote]Originally posted by louped garou
cool -- the CSI ppl hang out here too...

I lurk here constantly.

great rag....

Thanks!

but I gotta say, I had hoped for more pics in the gentleman's club issue....

Heh. I'll pass your comment on to Kerri.

Do you all have any more info on the Force of Magnitude Foundation mixer that was mentioned in the same issue?

No, but I'll see what I can find out. It caught my eye, too . . .

Thanks again for the kind words.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:36 PM

Scott, thanks again for the information. The history of the original 1620 seems to be have been a casualty of the UA/JBL turf wars, and Soundcraft's reproduction has hopelessly cluttered every Google search I've tried. I really, really appreciate your help.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:58 PM

Re: ?

Your welcome
Old 07-14-2005, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnL
Scott, thanks again for the information. The history of the original 1620 seems to be have been a casualty of the UA/JBL turf wars, and Soundcraft's reproduction has hopelessly cluttered every Google search I've tried. I really, really appreciate your help.
I remember this well. My uncle came with a spec sheet on the urei 1620 in 1982 towards `83! Heres the new mixer he said, but its gonna be expensive! We got our first one from RLA, and it had a custom " Ducker Circuit " for mic talkover built into it! Done by RLA, it cost us $1300 back in `83. And that was considered a great deal of money to spend on a mixer!

By 1984, all you saw was the urei, in all the nightclubs! It had taken over, though there were people who still preffered the Bozak sound, the urei took over the marketplace as " THE " mixer to have, and that to this day, still holds weight!
Old 07-14-2005, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by clubman5
I remember this well. ... We got our first one from RLA, and it had a custom " Ducker Circuit " for mic talkover built into it!

do you have the schematic for the ducker circuit???? or a pic????

too cool

Old 07-14-2005, 02:22 PM

Nah

Quote:
Originally posted by louped garou
do you have the schematic for the ducker circuit???? or a pic????

too cool
It had been removed from the mixer sometime in the late 80,s or early 90,s! I had Al Fierstein of Acoustilog make me an external unit that goes in the effects loop of the mixer!

It worked though, adjustable muting, adjustable release time! Basically a sidechain compressor!
Old 07-14-2005, 05:56 PM

Urei

I wondered if somebody could go back and try to find a post on the Soundcraft 'Urei' board by a ex Urei tech.

Its a long shot but there might be possible to contact the author of this thread. I can remove this text as it copied from 'Urei' site.

"I hope you got rid of the Molex KK series tin-plated connectors. They were one of the biggest mistakes we made as product designers "back in the day."

I was one of the designers of the original 1620, along with Brad Plunkett, Dennis Fink and Frank Kelly. What seems to be less known about the 1620 was that it was itself a kind of a "rip-off" of another company's design. The other company (I am tempted to say Bozak, but I'm not absolutely sure I remember the name correctly,) had gone out of production with their mixer, at least temporarily. Richard approached UREI with the idea that we should make a product he could actually buy. We designed it to look and behave almost identically to the original product, with the same feature-set, and we had the first units "out the door" in about six weeks - maybe even less. Hooray for small companies!

I wish UREI still existed. It was a great place to work. I learned a lot, and made some tremendous friends. And contributed to many good products.

A side note to the Discussion Board leader: The name of the company was United Recording Electronics Industries. Shortened, that became UREI. All capital letters. And always spelled out when saying it aloud.

It's nice to hear that people still remember our work. Thanks."
Old 07-14-2005, 06:04 PM

More

There might be info buried within The Lansing Heritage site. There might also be links to ex employes of the Urei era.

Good Luck

Dave
Old 07-14-2005, 06:56 PM

John

Doing some looking around, Urei might have been acquired by Harman in 1980! I am not sure, but its certain they were bought up by JBL,s parent company in the very early, if not the very beggining of the 80,s!
Old 07-14-2005, 11:32 PM

Gratitude

Thanks for all of the information and suggestions. I learn something every time I visit this forum!
Old 07-15-2005, 12:58 AM

Re: The very first 1620?

True?
very first 1620s serial number is 101?
Old 07-15-2005, 01:46 AM

Re: Re: The very first 1620?

Quote:
Originally posted by Rotarymadness
True?
very first 1620s serial number is 101?
This I do not know! I guess it could be, what I always thought was serial numbers started like 000. I have the first production model of the Crown PSA-2 with serial number 0001.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:49 AM

Thumbs up Re: Re: Re: The very first 1620?

Quote:
Originally posted by clubman5
This I do not know! I guess it could be, what I always thought was serial numbers started like 000. I have the first production model of the Crown PSA-2 with serial number 0001.

First PSA-2!!!
Old 07-16-2005, 08:29 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: The very first 1620?

When was the first 1620 produced?

All my notes read 1982.

They had knobs like the Bozak mixer on the phono,aux 1-4 and level/house/booth. There was a blue badge on the right side no screening for the UREI logo. They had the Frako 470/40 caps on the power supply and the silver TL084. The original Phono preamps had duel TL072 opp amps and the newer cards changed to TL084 and then again to TL072. The mic preamp paart # was 10-13853 which was transformer balanced. The newer mic preamps are active balanced circuitry. There was also a crossfader model #1620T wich had a retail value of $496.00 but you also had to replace the 2 phono cards wich had a retail value of 96.00 ea. Which added $688.00 to the cost of the mixer. The sales of the 1620t crossfader did not go well and it was discontinued. They also had problems with the unit if I could recall. It had something to do with the balance. If phono was playing through the crossfader and you turned the balance it would distort and blow the output of the mixer. I had one years back for a short period but sold it, wish I still had the unit. Shorty stated he had one he may be able to post some pictures.

I do have books of notes and mods and many stories but we could go on forever. I have worked and rebuilt 100's of UREI Mixers and still do.

If you want some real deal info there was a man named Jerry who worked for UREI and I believe he now works for CREST.

Have a great weekend
djmariog@aol.com
Mario G.
Old 07-17-2005, 01:39 AM

Mario, I really appreciate the detailed information - especially the part about the 1620T factory crossfader model. It's interesting to consider how the art of the DJ (and dance music as we now know it) might've been affected if UREI had managed to successfully address the reliability/price issues of that particular mixer back in the day.

Anyway, it looks like the consensus is 1982. Thanks again, everyone!
Old 07-17-2005, 10:51 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The very first 1620?

Quote:
Originally posted by djmariog
There was also a crossfader model #1620T wich had a retail value of $496.00 but you also had to replace the 2 phono cards wich had a retail value of 96.00 ea. Which added $688.00 to the cost of the mixer. The sales of the 1620t crossfader did not go well and it was discontinued. They also had problems with the unit if I could recall. It had something to do with the balance. If phono was playing through the crossfader and you turned the balance it would distort and blow the output of the mixer. I had one years back for a short period but sold it, wish I still had the unit. Shorty stated he had one he may be able to post some pictures.

Mario G.

so the UREI was the mixer that required different phono cards for the Xfader model... not the Bozak.... thanks for clearing that up for me Mario...