Labels
Distributed Labels
Links

Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 10-07-2012, 01:37 PM

you cart intellectuals want to rip on everyone but cant take it when someone calls you out... grow a d###!!!
Old 10-08-2012, 11:47 AM

I would agree that if you are going to spend a fuck-ton of money on a very nice mixer and a very nice tonearm, it seems odd to only put a mediocre cartridge on there. Its not a slam - obviously he can afford whatever he chooses, but there are just so many better carts out there....

Of course, I have some some Shure's that I use when scratching and messing around or when heavy handed friends stop by, but when I'm shooting photos for the Picture thread, or seriously listening to music, the Grado's go on.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:50 PM

I am agree about the facts that i could choose a better cartridge, for a hardware like mine.

But tell me , what is the best choice to listenning to records and mixing with them and 70% of time with Serato......

Mixing with a Grado cartridge , is inappropriate ......

But i am thinking about modding a third technics mk2, for just only listen to records. And i will choice a respected audiophile cartridge......
Old 10-08-2012, 04:32 PM

OK, good point - it doesn't matter what cart you use with Traktor/Serato as long as it tracks well.

For records, mixing with a Grado is just like mixing with any other cartridge unless you like to scratch. They backcue just fine.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:20 AM

now back to the lights,
are they a dreamed up/self implemented hack or a kit?

details either way, please!

:grin:
Old 10-09-2012, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistick Krewe
now back to the lights,
are they a dreamed up/self implemented hack or a kit?

details either way, please!

:grin:

You can buy them on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Technics-SL-1210-SL-1200-Under-Platter-Fader-Programable-Multi-Colour-LED-Kit-/290787127331?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiF i_Turntables&hash=item43b4437023
Old 10-09-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartmixer
I am agree about the facts that i could choose a better cartridge, for a hardware like mine.

But tell me , what is the best choice to listenning to records and mixing with them and 70% of time with Serato......

Mixing with a Grado cartridge , is inappropriate ......

But i am thinking about modding a third technics mk2, for just only listen to records. And i will choice a respected audiophile cartridge......

Ortofon Broadcast is nice, Shure Whitelabel is ok.
Very good but hard to get are the old Staton 680EL.

And even the Ortofon DJ S sounds way better than the 44-7.
Even the 44G is better than the 44-7, to be honest for me the 44-7 is one of the worst sounding DJ cartridge out there.
But I love them on my PDX 2000 for sratching.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:12 PM

Yea I hate the 44-7 too, I think they sound terrible. There is more to like about a Stanton 500 than a 44-7 imo... Go on other American production forums cough MPC bla and they think the 44-7 is the best sounding cart in the world though lol

Any way, I see you are from Germany. Can you still buy the Broadcast E easily there?
I've always found it hard to get hold of here, wouldn't mind trying it.
It has a more compliant suspension than the NCE as used in the DJ-E/Arkiv but unlike the DJ-E or Arkiv the cantilever is lower mass and lighter :-)

The best Stanton's I heard/used were those 881s I think they were called, Yaxkin on this forum used to mix with them before they became extinct. Made the 680 sound like a pile of old crap and the 680EL was a favorite of mine for years hahah
Scotty on this forum used to be fanatical about the 681SE, he gave me a few too but I prefer the 881 to this day if we are talking old Stanton

Last edited by vinyl_junkie : 10-09-2012 at 04:24 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:37 AM

Smile

All rights

Thanks for all your advices !!! I will think about my budget first , and then i 'll buy good cartridges !!!

What do you think about the Grado DJ 200i ?

I've seen it available on Juno.co.uk. ANd the price for me is correct!!!
Old 10-10-2012, 04:48 AM

I've been using the Audio-Technica ATP Stylus. They reasonably priced, sounds good, and last long time.

http://www.needledoctor.com/Audio-Te...c=2&category=4
Old 10-10-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:

I hear they are pretty good (as long as you don't have a hum). I have not listened to one personally.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
I've seen it available on Juno.co.uk. ANd the price for me is correct!!!
If all you will be using it for is listening - i.e. not scratching or back-cueing - you don't need to restrict yourself to DJ cartridges.

For a little bit more than the Grado you mention, I would highly recommend the Denon DL110.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:23 AM

Guys, stick to the post or start a new one.

My SoundCloud
Old 10-29-2012, 04:49 AM

my new consoleeeee

Old 10-29-2012, 04:51 AM

Old 10-29-2012, 12:52 PM

nice. bought or build?
Old 10-30-2012, 12:57 AM

Modding the Soul Sonic rotary mixer. (I'm pretty sure this voids the warranty.)

New faceplate in what I call a "Peavey Circa 1982" motif, haha ... plus I'm adding an analog wet/dry control to the circuit and simplifying the cueing section. It's really an excellent platform to mod on, incredibly straightforward even with no schematic. Love the almost "PTP" style of parts of the circuit.

Also swapping a few of the non "milspec" components while I'm in there (cue selector becoming a Grayhill switch, headphone jack becoming a vintage Western Electric, stuff like that.) And the Pilot LED on the original is now mounted in the Headphone Jack.

rs

Last edited by rs_ : 10-30-2012 at 01:06 AM.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:38 PM

That is pretty major, rs_, definitely in the "cruise ship" class of consoles!

Old 11-04-2012, 08:34 PM

Thanks Lime Twig.

Here it is in a not-complete, but usable state while I perfect the Wet/Dry section. (I think I'm going to end up with a stepped 4-gang potentiometer in there to get the curve just right.) I'll probably re-use the Booth output circuitry as a driver for the effects unit and re-sum with an Edcor summing transformer.

Upgraded many parts, simplified the cueing section and actually eliminated a channel.

Other plans for upgrades in the very near future include:

* Install vintage UREI 1620 balancing/output transformers (it is currently transformerless). I'm hoping this will give the mixer just a touch of what I call the "American Sound".

* Install vintage milspec Torotel input transformers and eliminate the input DC filter capacitors.

Later plans:

* Linear Power Supply in separate case.

Also pictured: Vintage ADM Inductor EQs and Pioneer EFX-1000 with Arcade Button mod of my own devising.

Last edited by rs_ : 11-04-2012 at 09:15 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:12 PM

Send a message via MSN to RETRODISKO
A real mess in here i have doing the testings of the UREI and the Mac, , and also because im here on my mom's house, i cant do much on designs / Space , but here are some pics of the bunker

Im about to buy a nice apt so wish me luck so it will be installed proper,

Old 11-06-2012, 02:52 PM

Vintage UREI 1620 Output Transformers installed in the mixer, and it sounds best with both the ADM EQ and (modified) Bozak Isolator. The combined effect of the signal processing with the inherently "compressorish" character of the mixer at high outputs means that I can play bigger rooms without subwoofers.

This rig sounds great through my Klipsch Heresy Industrial speakers powered by a homebrew 60WPC tube amp. Kind of like bringing a vintage hi-fi to a bar and playing through it.

I think the rig needs a few more giant silver knobs though...

rs

Last edited by rs_ : 11-06-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:30 PM

can we get nerdy regarding details of your homebrew amp?

I'm playing with a few vintage magnavox console pulls,
some single ended, others push pull, or ppp....

fun stuff..... but as the general warning goes with the high voltage stuff...
be careful, those things can be dangerous
Old 11-08-2012, 12:40 PM

I'm always ready to get nerdy And yes, it's always great advice to warn people about the voltage. Kids need their fathers.

Those Magnavox amps look cool. I also really dig the Stromberg Carlson console amps but they've gotten a bit of "buzz" so they're not super-cheap anymore.

Mine are ugly as sin right now so no pics yet, but they're Bogen Challengers (Push Pull amps based on somewhat rare 7868 power tubes) with basically everything swapped out. New caps, new output transformers from Edcor, new signal path, and I'm working on upgrading the Power Supplies (they use a solid state Voltage Doubler but I'd like to get a Tube Rectifier-based supply in there).

One cool thing about the Bogens (besides that they're cheap and roomy) is that they have a 12AX7-based Tone Control which I think sounds fantastic (again, for that big, tubby, vintage hi-fi sound). I converted that to 6N2P which is a Russian military tube almost exactly like a 12AX7:

I've come to really start appreciating tube amps. Somehow I had the idea that because they weren't 10 Zillion solid state watts, that they wouldn't deliver in a gig or that I would sound like a lead guitarist. How wrong I was.

rs

Last edited by rs_ : 11-08-2012 at 12:48 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:20 AM

One last mod for awhile. I converted a broken old rack-mount Surge Protector into an External Power Supply for my Bozak ISO-X. With my other recent equipment upgrades, its noise floor became more and more apparent. This vastly improves the clarity of the unit besides.

On the back, I reused one of the existing power plugs as the connector. I'm sure reusing an AC cable as a power interconnect breaks a dozen UL regulations, but I'm going to get a short IEC Kettle Cable and cover it in red electrical tape.

rs

Last edited by rs_ : 11-10-2012 at 04:46 AM.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotary Dreams
my new consoleeeee

Looking good, hard to tell from the pic's but if you haven't already those DAS horns will benefit from some sort of baffle behind them. At the very least cap off back side of the lense with some felt backed by wood/metal. You can reference the spec sheet for the JBL version where it recommends the use of a baffle for optimum performance in the crossover region.

When I capped the back of my 36" DAS horns it made a huge difference.

AL