Labels
Distributed Labels
Links

Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 01-11-2012, 05:03 AM

Use some Void Airten as monitors and the problem is solved.
Besides I have always this type of discussion when building a booth, could not get it. A DJ booth has only one task: To be the perfect working space for the artist.
And that means perfect monitoring!

The club is really nice but I could not get why they use BR subs. Ok they are using one of the best BR subs out there. But come on classic House music and no horn loaded subs?
Old 01-11-2012, 03:03 PM

Reading about my favourite spot in Munich finally made me register after reading along for quite a while.

The place is very nice and hast the best sound in the city. Bookings are also very nice.

The only thing to add to Zen's very good description (btw: congrats, you've even made it to their facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater ) is that, as far as I've read, they actually designed the club around the sound system instead of just taking the room, adding some fancy furniture and decoration and put in a sound system.

For more pictures check also: http://www.augustcc.com/

@ Laurin: it's not really all oldschool/classic house, even though they had some nice 'classic' acts play there (e.g. last year Kerri Chandler, Robert Owens, Osunlade, Terrence Parker,...).

Generally I would describe the sound as 'contemporary house music' (but only the good stuff ) with artists from labels like Mood Music, Freerange, Compost Records and all its sub-labels etc.

Coming up soon (February 17th) will be Mr. White, who is touring Europe at the moment and apparently still looking for gigs (http://www.comboo.de/agency/?p=1481) so if there are any promoters/clubowners form Germany/Europe around here this might be a chance to book him for at least relatively low travel fees..
Old 01-12-2012, 12:09 AM

I was refering to using the rear of the booth, so the monitors face the dancefloor and Air Tens would look nice if looks are of concern.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:22 AM

Probably wouldn't work either, as there are always people dancing directly behind the DJ booth, so I'm not sure if one would want to position the monitors there.

Plus there is a bench in the back of the booth where the entourage of the DJ usually hangs out, so there would be constantly people standing between the DJ and the monitors.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:07 AM

The way the monitors flown now are ok.
Did this a few times myself.

But putting "good lookers" like the Airten near to the ceiling in front of the booth would be much better.

To the 'contemporary house music':
Ok playing stuff like "Julio Bashmore - Battle For Middle You" BR subs could be an advantage, but ported horns can do the same thing.
I simply dont like BR for EDM and never heard a system I really liked that used BR subs.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:48 PM

This is my current music room, although there's been a few changes Rane Empath rotary, 2 CDJ 850's, an E&S iso and an EFX 1000.

Last edited by Jimbo Carter : 01-25-2012 at 04:59 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:52 PM

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...carter/old.jpg

Old music room set ups…..
Old 01-29-2012, 03:12 PM

My wife and I did some renovations to our living room before the holidays, so my console got a face lift. The cherry veneer that I attempted myself years ago was replaced with a formica laminate, the outside was tiled, and the top bar surface was replaced with granite.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:43 PM

looking good jnkarrik :-)
Old 01-31-2012, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnkarrik
My wife and I did some renovations to our living room before the holidays, so my console got a face lift. The cherry veneer that I attempted myself years ago was replaced with a formica laminate, the outside was tiled, and the top bar surface was replaced with granite.

BEAUTIFUL! Was your wife the one who chose the new look for your console?

More pictures please!!
Old 02-01-2012, 03:48 PM

i love this console, jnkharrik: do your tables float or are they flushed in?
Old 02-01-2012, 05:20 PM

Thank you all for the kind words. My wife is the interior designer, but we agreed on the laminate. I did not realize it when we were choosing, but it is very similar to what Wave member Ryan has on his stunning console. Sorry for biting your style man.

The turntables do not float yet, but I am considering the ashtray/rubberband suspension. One thing I did that significantly improved the sound was to increase the gap around the turntables. In the previous version, the board actually touched the sides of the tables, and it is unbelievable how much feedback the decks would pick up from that piece vibrating, even at only moderrate listening levels.

I will post up some more pictures soon.

Cheers,
Jason
Old 02-01-2012, 06:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to charles0322
Absolutely gorgeous!

Quote:
Thank you all for the kind words. My wife is the interior designer, but we agreed on the laminate. I did not realize it when we were choosing, but it is very similar to what Wave member Ryan has on his stunning console. Sorry for biting your style man.

The turntables do not float yet, but I am considering the ashtray/rubberband suspension. One thing I did that significantly improved the sound was to increase the gap around the turntables. In the previous version, the board actually touched the sides of the tables, and it is unbelievable how much feedback the decks would pick up from that piece vibrating, even at only moderrate listening levels.

Cheers,
Jason
Old 02-02-2012, 07:23 PM

Very nice console jnkarrik
Old 02-02-2012, 09:57 PM

Gorgeous room! I have a similar leather chair. Mines more of a chaise but same black leather and pattern.

I am receiving (tomorrow) similar pendant lights too. Mine are solid glass spheres in clusters that will be placed around my space. Great minds think alike!

And it is the same 'zebrano' laminate as my dualsf.com console. I'm loving how clean yours is though... Mines got a few more wires exposed... I mean I can't complain about mine but yours is super minimal.

Quote:

Cheers,
Jason
Old 02-03-2012, 02:30 AM

jnkarrik... fantastic conception with the screen & layout in the room! Well done.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo Carter

This is my current music room, although there's been a few changes Rane Empath rotary, 2 CDJ 850's, an E&S iso and an EFX 1000.

Hi

I'm looking for similar speaker stands, could you point me in the direction please?

Thanks
Old 02-04-2012, 04:58 PM

Click image for larger version

Name:	console.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	3066

Looking forward to getting my monitors up..
Old 02-04-2012, 05:00 PM

some great looking booths here!
Charles, I see you have the nightclub needles on the PRO elements, I was wondering if the needles actually improve sound with those elements?
Old 02-04-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estacy
some great looking booths here!
Charles, I see you have the nightclub needles on the PRO elements, I was wondering if the needles actually improve sound with those elements?

in all honesty, not great for sound, especially EDM.. but less wear on the records.

I got used to the ortophon sound and its ok for my setup..

I cant hear the difference with the nightclub carts, but when you change out for new ones you can hear it. further more, I hate the headshells and find they get loose and contacts start becoming intermittent.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:48 AM

@Dadda, i made them myself from various top hats and a piece of laminated wood. Cheap and cheerful!
Old 02-06-2012, 07:34 AM

Like it jnkarrik, very nice setup and room.

I wish my girlfriend was so understanding and let me have my gear in our sitting room!

She has tried to oust me to the shed a few times but I'm claiming squatters rights in our spare room and not going anywhere!

Old 02-13-2012, 09:36 PM

My old Bozak is still going strong!

Old 03-12-2012, 12:29 PM

Panotaker: did you ever locate an Erath mixer? I've asked around here in Houston and can't find anybody who's ever heard of one. I go to a lot of surplus/junk shops and I'm always looking though...

rs
Old 03-12-2012, 02:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to atf104
Absolutely beautiful setup!!

Awesome set of gear there.

Quote: