Labels
Distributed Labels
Links

Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 29 votes, 4.93 average. Display Modes
Old 02-02-2010, 09:51 PM

Send a message via MSN to RETRODISKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterharrison
That's why I've ordered some AT440MLa's, but I'm a bit worried about damaging them when back-cueing, especially as they are quite high compliance carts.

440 Are stable, if youre used to, I Dj with those and Thorens, Its more difficult, but i get used to,

I dont think you damage the needle when you back cueing
Old 02-03-2010, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RETRODISKO
440 Are stable, if youre used to, I Dj with those and Thorens, Its more difficult, but i get used to,

I dont think you damage the needle when you back cueing
Thanks for the info.
I've ordered some, so looking forward to trying them out.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidburn
Finally got everything patched in...Urei 1620, Bozak and a McIntosh MC252 amp...sounds lovely.

Do you normally use the EQs in your mixer at the position we can see at the picture?

For me Urei and Bozak have much too much bass with NO equalizing! I can not really understand how you can get a "lovely sound" this way...

Last edited by bossa nolyx : 02-03-2010 at 10:07 AM.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterharrison
Thanks for the info.
I've ordered some, so looking forward to trying them out.

let me know, Sound is amazing , You get used to work with those , its like being with your girlfriend, you need to be gentle,

, just dont by heavy handed on the tt,
Old 02-04-2010, 02:52 AM

Send a message via MSN to NeverObsolete Send a message via Yahoo to NeverObsolete
real

gentle. Like SL1800 gentle(one of my first). However once you develop that touch, your technique will improve. It has too. lol. Nice setup man. Very nice.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:01 AM

here it is retro Dominating the wild horses , Both 440 here it is the worst case scenario, Belt Turntables with Spring Suspenson, Delicate needle with light weight, and Disco music with a not stable bpm, Now you realize how good was Larry, Ritchie, Nicky etc, they do amazing things with this ones on the Garage,, and S54

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMdkombweEQ
Old 02-04-2010, 03:06 AM

Send a message via MSN to NeverObsolete Send a message via Yahoo to NeverObsolete
good

selection. Watch the video. Nice gear. Very Very nice. Classics playing the classics. Nice!
Old 02-04-2010, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossa nolyx
Do you normally use the EQs in your mixer at the position we can see at the picture?

For me Urei and Bozak have much too much bass with NO equalizing! I can not really understand how you can get a "lovely sound" this way...

Different strokes for different folks. Do you have both mixers?

For the Urei I leave the treble at 12. The bass controls are usually at 3.

The Bozak high's are way too sharp for me, so I adjust them to about 10 o'oclock. Bass is at 2-3o'clock. As I mentioned before I already had the mixer worked on by Mario...then again, I do like my high-end a bit softer than most.

This also depends a bit on the source. If I am running computer audio through the bozak, I can usually level off the tone controls. Vinyl needs adjustment.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RETRODISKO
Very nice mate! I've always loved that Don Ray track in the second part.

I'm curious how you're doing that phased delay effect. Sometimes it sounds like you've managed to get only the vocal to delay, while the beats stay dry. How do you do that? Sounds great.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:35 AM

Quote:
The Bozak high's are way too sharp for me, so I adjust them to about 10 o'oclock. Bass is at 2-3o'clock...

This also depends a bit on the source. If I am running computer audio through the bozak, I can usually level off the tone controls. Vinyl needs adjustment.
Interesting - I find I have to do the opposite on my Bozak (refurbed by Isonoe), i.e. turn the bass down a touch and the treble up to match the signal from CD. How are your TT arms set up? Maybe you've got your arms sloping down toward the record? That would accentuate the highs and thin the lows.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:41 AM

I know the sound of the original Urei. I heard it and compared it to others.

For me(!) the Urei has much to much punch in the bass frequencies with the EQs at 0 position. I know some like it. That's a question of what people want to have.

But what no one can doubt is, that the Urei ans the Bozak colors the sound very much. It has nothing to do with what is "better" or not, it's just coloring.
And most coloring is in the very warm bass frequencies.

And the only thing is that I've never seen somebody that needs more punch than the Urei has with no EQing. When you turn up the bass EQ to 3 the sound is so far away from linearity and clearity, that I(!) wont get a "lovely sound" with these settings.

For me also a rane has a bit too punchy bass. But I like it more flat...
Old 02-04-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossa nolyx
But what no one can doubt is, that the Urei ans the Bozak colors the sound very much.

I think coloring is what it comes down to - when I first started getting back into audio as an adult, I read about how the best equipment is transparent and does not color the sound and tried to get speakers, amps, mixers (like the xone 92) that did not mess around with the audio. And for me, that process resulted in very boring sound. It had no personality. It did not match what I remembered hearing growing up in NYC in clubs and record stores. Something was off.

Then a friend introduced me to the Urei 1620 and as soon as I heard it, I knew that it sounded "right" to me. It has some sort of weird compression to it, perhaps as a result of the cheap ICs in the mixer. Bass is tight and music sounds just right to me going through it. The audio resolution is not as transparent as that of the xone 92, but the mixer has personality and I value that far more.

My ideas about what audio should sound like have evolved as a result. I value transparency in things like my ADC, DAC and Phono-pre. But my mixer/pre-amp needs a voice of it's own. I recognize that is sacrilege to some audiophiles, but this is what I believe.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:00 PM

Quote:
I think coloring is what it comes down to - when I first started getting back into audio as an adult, I read about how the best equipment is transparent and does not color the sound and tried to get speakers, amps, mixers (like the xone 92) that did not mess around with the audio. And for me, that process resulted in very boring sound. It had no personality. It did not match what I remembered hearing growing up in NYC in clubs and record stores. Something was off.

Then a friend introduced me to the Urei 1620 and as soon as I heard it, I knew that it sounded "right" to me. It has some sort of weird compression to it, perhaps as a result of the cheap ICs in the mixer. Bass is tight and music sounds just right to me going through it. The audio resolution is not as transparent as that of the xone 92, but the mixer has personality and I value that far more.

My ideas about what audio should sound like have evolved as a result. I value transparency in things like my ADC, DAC and Phono-pre. But my mixer/pre-amp needs a voice of it's own. I recognize that is sacrilege to some audiophiles, but this is what I believe.
Precisely.

Even when they make music, it is deliberately colored, whether they use EQ, compression, or whatever, they produce music to sound a particular way that the artist and producer like, and feel is THEIR sound.

As for very flat speakers, and ruler flat electronics, I think that is for home hi-fi listening! But not only would that kind of sound be boring to me in a club, might be a bit irritating, too! FLAT IS BRIGHT!

The Urei does have alot of bass, but it was made in 1983, and voiced for vinyl. And records didn't have that much bass, some had more than others, but in the BEST NYC clubs, THAT bass you heard from records, wasn't on the record, it was gain tricks in the crossovers. When I put the Rane 2016 in my system, I still had TT,s for a week, and I didn't love how records sounded with it, BUT, when I put Serato in the Rane worked, and this is why. Todays download EDM has TONS OF BASS, and thru the urei, the bass was just too much! The Ranes top end is cleaner and finer sounding, the Urei adds some rasp to the highs, and that was great for vinyl, as the highs in classic music was finer sounding, so the Urei gave records that Tss Tss Tss sound. Digital music not only doesn't need this, it doesn't want it! Downloads and Serato sounded over ripe to me thru my Urei.

Also, because the 2016 has a leaner sounding bottom than the Urei, my downloads have that nice, tight punchy kick and the highs are sweet. The one thing the Urei does have, though, is a warmer sounding midrange.

Seriously, I had the Urei in, the bass was like OMFG! But it was TOO MUCH. But it worked REALLY RIGHT for the music of it's time.

I also tried my 1620LE, didn't like that, either. The Bozak I love for classic disco.

For you guys that have original Urei 1620,s, try driving your system with the booth out instead of the house outs. See what you think.

Last edited by clubman5 : 02-04-2010 at 09:02 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubman5

For you guys that have original Urei 1620,s, try driving your system with the booth out instead of the house outs. See what you think.

i like it better..... single ended output, no transformer...

Old 02-04-2010, 10:40 PM

Umm Hmmm! You got it, but, all the additional parts as well as the transformers are what you hear in the house outs.

And I played this one track, the bass literally beat me up. 20 eighteens and total system power of 20,000 watts and I want to increase yet some more!

Last edited by clubman5 : 02-04-2010 at 10:45 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:42 AM

I like some color or what every you want to call it in my overall sound. I've tried going down the total accuracy path but in the end did not find it enjoyable. Personally i think its about finding that combination of gear that works and gives you the sound your looking for.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:09 AM

I love the Urei's transformer isolated output, other than eliminating ground loops etc I like the way it colors the sound and imo gives it that Urei bass
Any way doesn't the 1620 share the same output stage as one of their classic compressors? I forgot the model number but I know people love the way it colors sound and it's used in a lot of recording studios

Last edited by vinyl_junkie : 02-05-2010 at 10:18 AM.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:18 AM

when i was 'testing' it out, i liked the booth outputs...
to me it sounded a bit more extended in both directions....

it was mentioned to me, at the time, that transformer balancing is not necessarily a 'fidelity' thing, but if your system is contaminated with excessive noise -- the highest fidelity is your least of your concerns...
Old 02-05-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinyl_junkie
I love the Urei's transformer isolated output, other than eliminating ground loops etc I like the way it colors the sound and imo gives it that Urei bass
Any way doesn't the 1620 share the same output stage as one of their classic compressors? I forgot the model number but I know people love the way it colors sound and it's used in a lot of recording studios
The Urei 1176? That is a famous piece.

There's no right or wrong, to this, as you like what you like, I like what I like.

And when it comes to the transformer balanced outs on the 1620, I like running them unbalanced, pin 3 +, Pins 1 and 2 shorted together as the return side, single ended! cause you can do this with transformer balanced outs, but not with active balanced differential outs.

There's millions of tricks out there to try! I offer food for thought, and the idea of trying different things!
Old 02-05-2010, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubman5
The Urei does have alot of bass, but it was made in 1983, and voiced for vinyl. And records didn't have that much bass, some had more than others, but in the BEST NYC clubs, THAT bass you heard from records, wasn't on the record, it was gain tricks in the crossovers. When I put the Rane 2016 in my system, I still had TT,s for a week, and I didn't love how records sounded with it, BUT, when I put Serato in the Rane worked, and this is why. Todays download EDM has TONS OF BASS, and thru the urei, the bass was just too much! The Ranes top end is cleaner and finer sounding, the Urei adds some rasp to the highs, and that was great for vinyl, as the highs in classic music was finer sounding, so the Urei gave records that Tss Tss Tss sound. Digital music not only doesn't need this, it doesn't want it! Downloads and Serato sounded over ripe to me thru my Urei.
Yes, maybe that could be one reason. The RIAA-curve has more bass, is not linear, of course.
But for me(!) the Urei has more than enough bass with EQs at 0. With line and also with phono signals (but not that much, yes...).
Old 02-05-2010, 11:11 PM

The bump in the HF and LF are deliberately there. I'll give the Urei a whirl again, maybe SL 3 and Scratchlive 2 will be to my liking thru the 1620. Nothing is carved in stone.

I'll tell you another thing, back in the 80,s and into the 90,s, as about 93, I always preferred the urei with the TLO84 IC,s spinning vinyl when vinyl was still made properly.

IF I use the 1620, I already know with the digital stuff, I prefer the sound of the TLO74 IC,s, tighter, bass. 84,s have that softer jazzy sound, was good when records sounded thin, but, everything changes, so everything changes!
Old 02-11-2010, 04:05 AM

Pics of my Console at home, the DJ set-up is up and running but the studio is still a work in progress....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KierensStudio_4596.JPG
Views:	457
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	2636  Click image for larger version

Name:	KierensStudio_4597.JPG
Views:	309
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	2637  Click image for larger version

Name:	KierensStudio_4598.JPG
Views:	291
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	2638  Click image for larger version

Name:	KierensStudio_4600.JPG
Views:	656
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	2639  Click image for larger version

Name:	KierensStudio_4603.JPG
Views:	485
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	2640  

Old 02-11-2010, 04:06 AM

more pics from my house!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KierensStudio_4608.JPG
Views:	295
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	2641  Click image for larger version

Name:	KierensStudio_4610.JPG
Views:	303
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	2642  
Old 02-11-2010, 04:09 AM

Very nice Kieren! How do u like those NS-10's? Oh and what arms did you put on your 1200's?
Old 02-11-2010, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinyl_junkie
Very nice Kieren! How do u like those NS-10's? Oh and what arms did you put on your 1200's?
I love my NS10's though i don't use them much at the moment as the new studio is still under construction and the NS10's have been boxed up for the past 15years.

They are REGA RB301 Tonearms on my SL1200's,,, LOVE THEM......