Labels
Distributed Labels
Links

Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 26 votes, 4.92 average. Display Modes
Old 02-11-2008, 04:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to charles0322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin James
Hmm, never seen those Urei monitors used as DJ monitors before. I have only seen them as studio monitors. How are they as dj monitors? The reason that I ask is that my brother has a pair of the smaller version ( only 1 15 with the Blue horn coming out the center) as his main studio monitors.

They aren't terribly good for booth monitors.. The 809 might be a bit better, but you would need subwoofers (2 preferably).. Without a tweeter.. they pump out some frequencies that wouldn't be suitable for monitoring in a club environment. I was told by the long time resident that these did some serious damage to him over the years. They didn't have subwoofers in the booth, so I'd imagine they would crank them up to get the bass they wanted. I'm going to pair them up with two 2226H subs I'm building. Right now I'm using a BGW performance series 3.. They sound amazing on well produced tracks.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:00 PM

First of all, those urei monitors were NOT, I repeat, NOT supposed to be EAR level. Soffit Mounted, and EQ is definitely needed.

But, yes, they do not make good booth monitors.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubman5
First of all, those urei monitors were NOT, I repeat, NOT supposed to be EAR level. Soffit Mounted, and EQ is definitely needed.

Just wondering why are they not supposed to be ear level? And out of interest what is soffit mounting?
Old 02-11-2008, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinyl_junkie
Just wondering why are they not supposed to be ear level? And out of interest what is soffit mounting?

Soffit mounted means in a nutshell:

I have been told on the Lansing Heritage Forums that they can be used with subwoofers without being soffited with much success.. I will have the diffraction horns about 1.5 ft above ear level.. The reason being these babies pump out ear crushing noise at the diffraction horn opening if pushed
Old 02-11-2008, 06:28 PM

Quote:

What suggestions do you have? I will recap the crossovers. I'm looking to build to bass cabs with a pair of 2226H drivers I have. I was going to crossover the bass @ 150hz. I'm not sure what crossover to use.. and how I should wire everything from my Urei 1620LE. The amps I have available are, Crown 3(PS-200) 1(PSA-2) 1(150a series 2) BGW 1( PF3)

Thanks

Last edited by charles0322 : 02-11-2008 at 06:31 PM.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:07 PM

You see, anything can be used ANYWAY one wants to use something.

But, you see what you get when you push them? EAR CRUSHING high freq from those horns.

Those monitors CAN sound great, within the intended parameters of usage, but, they arent what I would want at In MY FACE, or RIGHT BY MY SIDE distances.

If your gonna recap, first find out IF they really need to be recapped. But, even recapping will not change them from what they are.

Yes, they definitely CAN be used without subs, but, again, are you getting LF spl that is ENOUGH for you WITHOUT subs?

Todays digital sources are drastically different in tonality, and freq response, than what was being recorded at the time Urei Time Align monitors were being made and sold.

And THAT, is more your problem, than capacitors, amps, or speaker placement!

Just listen to any recording from 1986, and then to any recording from right now. Then you will be like, 'O, I get it now'.

Now, you CAN get todays stuff to sound good, just forget about trying to make 2008 sound the way 1988 sounded.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Just listen to any recording from 1986, and then to any recording from right now. Then you will be like, 'O, I get it now'.

Now, you CAN get todays stuff to sound good, just forget about trying to make 2008 sound the way 1988 sounded.

Understood.. I played "Lets Start the Dance III" 1983 Francois K re-edit on vinyl.. Beautiful. Or Anything by Tom Moulton.. I don't listen to crap digital music. I buy everything Wav or I don't have it on my computer. I play a lot of vinyl..
Old 02-11-2008, 09:36 PM

Here are a few system pics of

Stereo with my SBS setup, a few of them might not have been posted here before
www.systemsbyshorty.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stereo stacks.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	1750  Click image for larger version

Name:	SBS stack 5&6-work lite.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	1751  Click image for larger version

Name:	console crowd shot stereo.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	1752  Click image for larger version

Name:	racks.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	1753  Click image for larger version

Name:	1-3-5.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	1754  

Last edited by soundmanshorty : 02-11-2008 at 10:22 PM.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:11 AM

The Vestax Isolator belongs to a friend of mine. I was just checking it out.

The Stephens Tru-Sonics I had were amazing. I used to run them off a pair of McIntosh MC30 tube amps. The were SUPER efficient and would cause an earthquake with only 10 watts going to them. They had AlNiCo magnets and a crossover for the HF multi-cell tweeter. The sound was HUGE and warm. They took up a lot of real estate though, and that is why I had to let them go. They were about 4 feet tall X 3 feet wide X 2 feet deep. They were kit speakers and the cabinets (made out of plywood) had these variable ports made out of light wood and a spring instead of having to tune the port. The original owner told me that the best cabinet is a closet with a speaker mounted on the door! I have a single Stephens 15" speaker That I got last year that is waiting for some sort of project. it is not dual concentric though, but it is full range.

Last edited by Mr ZDUR : 02-12-2008 at 12:13 AM.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:23 AM

i rearranged my music room a bit so heres my setup

and all lit up

Old 02-12-2008, 12:33 PM

Redid my setup for when I have some time off bewteen gigs.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin James
my brother has a pair of the smaller version the 809 ( only 1 15 with the Blue horn coming out the center) as his main studio monitors.

I think the 809 is a 12"

Old 02-12-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundmanshorty
Stereo with my SBS setup, a few of them might not have been posted here before
www.systemsbyshorty.com

Miss you in there Shorty.. I thought what you did in overhauling the system was great! Of course it doesn't "Feel" the same with the "Klark Teknik" touch..

We all know the drama that goes along with the club "scene" & I know you and me both wish it was only about the SOUND!

The attention to detail you committed to that room was second to none.. It was in a word; Professional.

I have a question.. With all the refinements on the system in analogue form..
Did you ever consider moving the stacks?
When they did the overhaul b4 you got there, they moved the stacks to resemble the logo..
I thought to myself "Who positions speakers according to a f'ing logo?!
I've heard Mr.Dash say that it would sound good if all the stacks were against one of the larger walls.
Always meant to ask you that.

Best regards, Charles

A much better booth concept, with better EAW drivers, Subs.. are those 2405s on the top?

Last edited by charles0322 : 02-12-2008 at 03:39 PM.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistick Krewe
I think the 809 is a 12"

Tru Dat!

He probably has the 811

Last edited by charles0322 : 02-12-2008 at 03:40 PM.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:58 PM

Urei 809

Hi charles0322

I found the 809 to be an superb speaker. I found the BGW 750a to sound very good in partnership. The bigger Urei's are rated as better, i would prefer the last big Urei with JBL components to to any other speaker ever made. Your Urei's will sound fantastic for dance music but you are at the mercy of many duff recordings, maybe a bit of tlc needed if they are lacking a bit of magic. I found the fairly recent Michael Jackson greatest hits CD to sound very good, I guess they have squashed it a bit but my DBX 503 expander made the percussion sounds scare you with the realism. Quincy Jones productions seam pretty good to my ears.

Another great FK production, Unique with what I got is what you need. The space in that recording is amazing, probably perfect production balance.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveg
Hi charles0322
I found the fairly recent Michael Jackson greatest hits CD to sound very good, I guess they have squashed it a bit but my DBX 503 expander made the percussion sounds scare you with the realism. Quincy Jones productions seam pretty good to my ears.

I got a half speed cut version of Michael Jackson’s "Of The Wall" and it sounds amazing! Makes mince meat of CD and that is on a standard 1210 arm.
I also got “The Dude” by Quincy Jones on vinyl and that sounds great, he’s a fantastic producer.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:04 PM

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles0322
Miss you in there Shorty.. I thought what you did in overhauling the system was great! Of course it doesn't
"Feel" the same with the "Klark Teknik" touch..

We all know the drama that goes along with the club "scene" & I know you and me both wish it was only about the SOUND!

The attention to detail you committed to that room was second to none.. It was in a word; Professional.

I have a question.. With all the refinements on the system in analogue form..
Did you ever consider moving the stacks?
When they did the overhaul b4 you got there, they moved the stacks to resemble the logo..
I thought to myself "Who positions speakers according to a f'ing logo?!
I've heard Mr.Dash say that it would sound good if all the stacks were against one of the larger walls.
Always meant to ask you that.

Best regards, Charles

A much better booth concept, with better EAW drivers, Subs.. are those 2405s on the top?

I miss you guys aswell, I love that city and everyone in mtl, I hope you & everyone are well. I didnt think the placement of the speakers were so bad where they were, but i did infact have to move them around because of the amount of cancelation that was on that floor, so i had to slide them around to eliminate that issue which i did.

I dont agree at all with mr dash with his idea of all the stacks on the wall, IMHO that would not sound correct.

www.systemsbyshorty.com

Last edited by soundmanshorty : 02-12-2008 at 05:13 PM.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:29 PM

Wink

Quote:
I miss you guys aswell, I love that city and everyone in mtl, I hope you & everyone are well. I didnt think the placement of the speakers were so bad where they were, but i did infact have to move them around because of the amount of cancelation that was on that floor, so i had to slide them around to eliminate that issue which i did.

I dont agree at all with mr dash with his idea of all the stacks on the wall, IMHO that would not sound correct.

www.systemsbyshorty.com

Come back to visit.. errrr, in the SUMMER. I am freezing my arse off right about now, eh!

I was thinking it would be weird to have them all lined up??

You still have lots of friends up this way!

I picked up a BGW PS3, I know you sometimes spec. BGW.. is this a good quality amp? I'm using it with the Urei 813 s. I know the 750 series are preferable.. You were running a PS2 for the RCF entrance monitor, if I remember correct.

Peace, Charles

Last edited by charles0322 : 02-12-2008 at 06:11 PM.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:11 PM

I didnt use

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles0322
Come back to visit.. errrr, in the SUMMER. I am freezing my arse off right about now, eh!

I was thinking it would be weird to have them all lined up??

You still have lots of friends up this way!

I picked up a BGW PF3, I know you sometimes spec. BGW.. is this a good quality amp? I'm using it with the Urei 813 s. I know the 750 series are preferable.. You were running a PF2 for the RCF entrance monitor, if I remember correct.

Peace, Charles

The PSA2 that were on the comp drivers for anything upstairs, i put 1 downstairs for the monitors in the bar the 2 others grew legs, i used the BGW for the ent speakers, I dont have any opinion on that series BGW I wasent crazy for it.

Whos doin lights now, Sylvain still?

IF i came up there it would be summertime, maybe ill take a trip I love the drive up there.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:21 PM

well

if the stacks at stereo arent impressive enough lol putting them all on one side would look ridiculous (meaning huge) and would look cool

but

the whole idea of stereo is separation

with all the cabinets on one wall you get a mono sound by default

just my 2cents

(leave them wheres they are hehe

peas
Old 02-12-2008, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Bissnette
well

if the stacks at stereo arent impressive enough lol putting them all on one side would look ridiculous (meaning huge) and would look cool

but

the whole idea of stereo is separation

with all the cabinets on one wall you get a mono sound by default

just my 2cents

(leave them wheres they are hehe

peas

what if you still seperated the stacks a bit?

four stacks pointed at each other isn't exactly correct stereo either, and will always have more cancellation issues than a wall.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:50 PM

Quote:
The PSA2 that were on the comp drivers for anything upstairs, i put 1 downstairs for the monitors in the bar the 2 others grew legs, i used the BGW for the ent speakers, I dont have any opinion on that series BGW I wasent crazy for it.

Whos doin lights now, Sylvain still?

IF i came up there it would be summertime, maybe ill take a trip I love the drive up there.

I love the drive through the Adirondacks too. The BGW isn't that impressive, it is intended to drive two 2226H bass cabs I'm building. I think I'm actually going to use a PSA-2 on the 813..

Sylvain is still doing lights and he's as crazy as ever.. he met some chick in Cuba and he's flying to Italy at the end of the month. She speaks no English or French.. lol.

I actually started playing around with the lights for the past couple of weeks in training for his vacation in case they need a stand in.. Not really sure if I have any clue.. but I use less strobe

Dinner this summer for sure!
Old 02-12-2008, 08:13 PM

yeah i get what you say if they are stacked a bit apart like the logo then yeah it would be ok

cool

i gets it
Old 02-12-2008, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminb
what if you still seperated the stacks a bit?

four stacks pointed at each other isn't exactly correct stereo either, and will always have more cancellation issues than a wall.

The original setup had the six stacks somewhat facing eachother, except the exterior stacks were toed inward.. The three stacks, left/right, were placed along the longest side of the room. On the dj booth side of the room there were two rooms. This helped to keep the bass in.. Now they are positioned as shown in the pics Shorty posted. The rooms are now open to the dance floor..

Last edited by charles0322 : 02-12-2008 at 10:10 PM.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:36 AM

Send a message via AIM to atf104
Hey charles-

Dont think we ever met..would be nice to meet you though. You be at stereo Friday? I'll be there Looking forward to this weekend..

Adam