Labels
Distributed Labels
Links

Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 26 votes, 4.92 average. Display Modes
Old 08-21-2004, 12:58 PM

Shorty's pics

I should thank you. I have looked at your pics on your site many times, and the pics on GSA's to get an idea of how to lay out my console. You have some great pictures, and the specs you give as well gave me a great idea of how I wanted to do mine.

Allen
Old 08-23-2004, 06:56 AM

Daniels:

Do you have more information on your Formula Sound System 2000?

It seems very unique, and I haven't found a single article on it.

I have the PM-90 with full 8 modules. However I am thinking of replacing it with a rotary mixer in the near future.

Thanks,

Aleksi
Old 08-23-2004, 07:37 AM

Mattu,

I did in fact build the concole myself. It was actually pretty straight forward. It probably wouldn't work in a real club but it works just nice in my living room. :-) I'm pretty shure I have the plans somewhere. If you a copy of them let me know.

About the sign. It doesn't say "The Gay Park". But I guess you knew that already. :-) It's an old enamel sign for a company that produces wooden floors. Now if you could have seen the name of the company as well, I'm sure it would have made for even more laughs. The company is called "Junkers". :-)
Old 08-23-2004, 01:25 PM
Senior Citizen

Aleksi

The Formula Sound System 2000 was not really a best seller, so they didn't make that many. It all might have had something to do with the fact it was pretty expensive. If memory serves me right it was in production between 1988 and 1999.

Like all high end Formula Sound Mixers it's a modular construction with three types of modules; master, mono and stereo. Input modules have a 100mm fader and three band fixed freq. eq for stereo modules and three band with sweepable mid for mono modules. Available chassis where available for 8,12 and 16 input modules, of which the 8 was 19" inch wide. The layout and functionallity is somewhere inbetween a dj mixer and a broadcast console. I guess Formula Sound was also selling this mixer to post production and radio studios. A rather hefty power supply provided +-18V for audio circuits and 6V for status lights. The last year it retailed for 225 per input module, 875 for an 8 input chassi with master module and 299 for the PSU.

More info can be found at: http://web.archive.org/web/199902021....com/home.html

/Daniel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg formulasound800640.jpg (97.4 KB, 3109 views)
Old 08-23-2004, 02:18 PM

Thanks a lot for the information Daniels!

I have been quite obsessed with the brand for years.

The club where I got to spin twice had a PM-90 during my first gig, and years later they had switched to Rane which I liked also. (I bit more actually) One of the owners claimed that the PM-80/90 are superior in sound compared to Rane.

I am currently working on a console/table of my own.

Aleksi
Old 08-23-2004, 02:56 PM
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally posted by root
Thanks a lot for the information Daniels!

I have been quite obsessed with the brand for years.

You're not the only one That's why I have both a PM90 and a 2000.
After all, they are really great mixers, both when it comes to handling and sound quality.
To make my collection complete I'd like to have a PM80 as well, but that has got to wait 'til I get a bigger place to live.

/D
Old 08-27-2004, 09:54 PM

qustion for allen

Hey man, great looking set-up. I'm in the beginning stages of getting mine together, currently have it suspeded from the ceiling although my set up was born out of necessity since I have the springiest floors in creation, I thinks i'm ready for a change.

Had a question on construction.
How did you mount the motor of the actuator and the power supply to the base? Is it braced? I know it's 2 parts???

BTW, was at Mario's last week and picket up a Bozak from him, so now you know it needs the proper home, and your set up looks like it just might be the inspiration.

g
Old 08-27-2004, 09:57 PM

Allen set up

Great looking deck man.

Got a question...

How did you mount the actuator and the power supply to the frame. Isn't it 2 pieces? Was it braced? Hard to tell from the photo.

Let me know.

Thanks

g
Old 08-28-2004, 06:57 AM

Mounting

I went over the mounting in another post. I used standard hardware that i modified slightly with biger holes for the bolts. I will try to post some better pics later today or tommrow. The power supply and actuator are 2 parts but, the actuator has a spot on the side where the power supply mounts. No additional hardware is required to mount the power supply to the actuator. I did brace the console alot. Bracing is important weather or not the console is motorized or not. It helps to keep it square, and solid.

Allen
Old 08-28-2004, 10:02 PM

mounting

thanks, i obviously have not got to that part yet. i'll keep an eye out on the new pics.

g
Old 08-30-2004, 04:39 PM

mounting

Here are the pics of the mounts. One end is 2 corner brckets that i cut with a hack saw and drilled out the holes for a larger bolt. On the other its just one of those bars that you can use to renforce something with one hole drilled out bigger for the bolt and some washers. I got them at home depot but have also seen them in every hardware store i've been in.

Allen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled.jpg (30.1 KB, 3005 views)
Old 09-01-2004, 08:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to johnpuga1982
Atten: mortenfresh

Where did you get that counsle? I want one.
Old 09-01-2004, 08:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to johnpuga1982
Heres mine. Picture is a bit weak. I took it with my phone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image003.jpg (10.7 KB, 3022 views)
Old 09-01-2004, 08:42 PM

nice pic

Nice pic,cool setup not bad for a phone.
allen
Old 09-02-2004, 03:22 AM

Send a message via MSN to RETRODISKO
me and some pic i have here

Last edited by RETRODISKO : 11-28-2005 at 02:46 AM.
Old 09-04-2004, 04:53 AM

Send a message via MSN to RETRODISKO
by the way MORTEN what did you do with the urei i sold you ? i heavent see you on messenger lately,,, dont get lost!!
Old 09-04-2004, 01:51 PM

Cool Bump YO ass off, Auto Skooter

Here's one of Scotty's speaker stacks. This is the only one that didn't come out all blurry.

btw, how do you get the image to show directly without linking?
Old 09-06-2004, 04:56 AM

Attn: JohnPuga

I built the console myself. It's made from mdf boards and is heavy. Really heavy. I made some simple plans for it using AutoCAD basically just figuring out the size that would make for the easiest build and best fit for my room.

If anyone is interested I will see if I can dig the autocad dwg file out from my harddisk.

Attn: Yaxkin,

The picture of the console was taken before i got the urei from you. And regarding the urei, I actually have a slight problem with it. For some reason if I crank up the volume(not overdriving the mixer) or my console gets a little bump the mixer kind of freaks out on me. Sort of goes into a weird oscillation. If I turn down the faders for the source playing it will disappear again. If you or anyone has a suggestion for a reason to this and perhaps knows what to look for in order to rescue the mixer please let me know. As for messenger, remember that you are 9 hours behind me. I'm usually online most of the (european) day, actually.
Old 09-06-2004, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mortenfresh
And regarding the urei, I actually have a slight problem with it. For some reason if I crank up the volume(not overdriving the mixer) or my console gets a little bump the mixer kind of freaks out on me. Sort of goes into a weird oscillation. If I turn down the faders for the source playing it will disappear again. If you or anyone has a suggestion for a reason to this and perhaps knows what to look for in order to rescue the mixer please let me know.

This could either be an internal grounding problem or ageing power supply capacitors. If memory serves there were some internal grounding issues on early units...someone like Mario could no doubt go into more detail on that.

The capacitors are relatively straightforward for any qualified tech to replace, and I did this recently myself (using better-grade, higher-value parts both for audio coupling and the power supply). The improvement in sound quality (particularly the bass response) was not trivial.

http://www.markandrus.com
Old 09-06-2004, 06:46 AM

Jmark, thanks for the answer. To be honest I really wouldn't feel comfortable doing too much stuff inside the mixer myself but it's nice to know what to look for when I find someone to have a look at it.

Another strange thing i noticed, and I'm not shure if this has something to do with the previous problem.

Let's say I have Phono 1 turned to 4 or 5, and have the Master turned to 8 or 9, the bass response seems much better than if the situation is reversed, ie. Phono 1 to 8 or 9 and Master to 4 or 5.

Does anybody recognize this?
Old 09-09-2004, 12:20 AM

The setup

It's a little awkward but I made do with having to share it with mi brother.

Old 09-09-2004, 02:06 AM

Height

Tanoka,

Are you playing sitting or standing and do you have concreate under those floor boards?
________
uhwh

Last edited by Richi : 02-02-2011 at 05:27 PM.
Old 09-09-2004, 03:03 AM

sitting?

Standing, the tts come all the way up to my chest. The stool is under the table so it can support the bozak when certain connects need changing. Everything is built on milk crates! Yeah we keep it ghetto. We used to use concrete bricks under tts, but no need now really. And yes that is a cd recorder under the left technics! Sounds weak compared to the mixes I've made just at 3 3/4 ips on my handy Marantz 4000! Can't wait for the real reel though.
Old 09-09-2004, 06:08 AM

The floor

Is the actual floor concreate or wooden rafters?
________
buy aromed vaporizer

Last edited by Richi : 02-02-2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old 09-09-2004, 11:22 AM

Thumbs up

I like that DUO stick headphone you got there