Labels
Distributed Labels
Links

Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-09-2008, 11:07 AM

Crazy Custom DJ Mixer

check it.

http://www.prodigy-pro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29732&start=0&postdays=0&postorder =asc&highlight=

too much?
Old 10-09-2008, 11:14 AM

http://www.wavemusic.com/community/s...ead.php?t=8051

overkill imo
Old 10-09-2008, 12:38 PM

good reuse of modules he possibly already had IMO...

probably "sounds" top notch also...
Old 10-12-2008, 10:09 AM

This work of self gratification belongs to Mr. Yaron Trax, from Isreal. His mission is/was/and still is, to have a club with a sound ONLY this room has.

He and his friend have been to the U.S. to check out all the sound systems, even went to Stereo with NO money. Shorty loved him, well...

Anyway, one night, Im getting 1000 bleeps from my computers MSN around 4AM, it's Yaron. Telling me he needs a mixer, 1620LE not nearly good enough, Rane, no way, Bpzaks all beat to shit, what to do? Urei original to hard to find good one in Israel. Originaslly je wanted a real Urei1620, then he met these solund gujys, thbey turned him onto the Pultec EQ sound. HEROIN! Kid was goin thru WITHHHHHDRAWAL.

This companies tech/designer Igor, said he could build a mixer, and Yaron started asking millions of questions. Sontec EQ sections sound similar to Pultec EQ, and Yarfon bought a GSA 3000 from Mario. When he got back to Israel, Igor looked at the GSA, did some mods, poof, INSTANT TIGER.

Igor told Yaron the reason he liked the 3000 unit, because its a similar type of operating principle and solid state mimic of the Pultec sound.

So, Yaron commisions Igor to build the ONLY mixer if its kind, IN THE WORLD!

Price? Don't ask, it hurts just to think about it. A few potholes along the road to NIRVANA, Yaron didn't like phono card sound, I told about them metal film resistors, I told u what to use. Sound designer/designers are brilliant, but difficult to, They finally ended up putting Bozak phono cards in the mixer, THERE IT IS! Like I say here, Carbon composition, it has it's place in sound.

Afer a few minor retunings and such, the young man is ecstatic, says it's warm, full, clear, smooth, ballsy, clean, but not clinical.He's happy. he puty it in his system, thought he had a different system, he is amazed.

He's nutz, like most of us, but, his club is about being a special placed for his clientele! From what I hear, the people are already commenting the sound is unlike any other club they have. Yaron doesnt care what the mixer cost, his room has something special.

You know what? YARON TRAX WILL BE SUCCESFUL IN HIS ENDEAVORS!

Because he is a budding young showman, crafting his signature show, that will become recognized as one of " THE BEST "!

And Israel goes out and PARTIES! THEY DO. And When I go to Isreal, you know where Ill be.

I spent tons of late night time online with Yaron, he has the fire, I'm glad I helped him, kids got balls, bet it all, double or nothing. nand its working.

Yaron, Mah nish mah!

Shalom`

BTW, Igor is an INSANELY BRILLIANT DUDE, ACE TECHNICIAN, SUPERIOR DESIGNER/Bulider!

Last edited by clubman5 : 10-12-2008 at 10:15 AM.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:50 AM

http://s251.photobucket.com/albums/g...current=34.jpg

Looks like they are also using a thrive isolator.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:10 PM

Hello eveyone,

I'm Yaron, the guy who designed the mixer, together with Igor the technician.

I wanted to post pics and tell the whole story on this board, but I wanted to do it when the mixer is finished and it isn't just yet. But I guess you can't really keep a secret in these days of the internet, which is a great thing actually, cause that's also the reason that I was able to design this mixer.

Anyhow, like I said, the mixer is not finished just yet. It is working already and sounds absolutly incredible and we've been using it in the club for about a month now. But there are a few options, modules, that are not operational yet and the main meter display is not there yet. It will take a few more weeks to be finished.

I did a 3 years research before opening the club, building the sound system and the heart of it - the mixer.

I did fly to NYC and met people like David Mancuso, Gary Stewart, Alan Feirstein and more.. All were very helpful and kind and gave me a lot of advice. I did speak to Shorty and did consider hiring him or Gary to do the job. But after a while I came to a conclusion that I will get the best results by doing it myself, with the help and advice of the people I mentioned above. I actually never met Scott in person but I have to say that he was the most helpful from all, and we did speak alot on msn and e-mail and I bother him all the time with questions

Thank you Scott for writing what you wrote here, especially for describing me as a "young man" (I'm actually 38 years old.. but I do behave much below my age ). But what I thank you most is for giving me the confidence to try something risky, "double or nothing" like you wrote.

You see, I have tons of respect for mixers like Urei and Bozak etc. And to try and design a mixer myself seemed to me almost like a desecration of something holy. But after years of research and experiments, I came to a conclusion that all DJ equipment that I tried (and I did try almost everything), is actually on either "amature" or maximum "semi-proffesional" standards, when you compare it to mastering quality standards. Most people believe that audio mastering quality equipment does not belong in a night club. I thought different. Only after I tried so many mixers, seperate EQs, pre-amps etc., I realised that the only way to reach the sound that I dream of is to custom build it, becuase all proffesional audio equipment is made for recording and mastering studios and not for DJ use. So it had to be built from scratch, using the parts of the highest quality audio equipment but with an interface that will suit the use of DJs.

After I tried many technicians who could not deliver, I found Igor. From the first phone call, I felt that he was my man. At first he didn't want the job. He only builds stuff for mastering and proffesional recording studios. He builds stuff for mastering engineers all around the world. But eventudally I did manage to convince him.

At first I thought I only want some EQ modules to work with my Urei mixer, but after a few meetings with Igor, we both realised that a whole new mixer would be the best way to reach my goals.

This is when I had a big dillema. The cost was huge. Many times higher than any DJ mixer in production nowadays, and for good reason - the parts used were of the highest quality and much more expansive than the parts used in any other DJ equipment. And I knew that sound is a tricky thing. There are so many parameters and it's not like math. So it was a really big risk to spend all this money and invent something new that will be the heart of the system, which is in itself the heart of the whole club.

It was then that I turned again to Scott and asked him for advice. I said to him that I believe that the Urei is distorting the sound, less than most other DJ mixers, but still much more than mastering grade audio equipment. And to my surprise, Scott completely backed me up on this. He said to me that he thinks I'm on the right direction and that I should trust what my ears are telling me.

So I did. And it worked!!! I'm still amazed that it did. It made the system sound like a completely new system. I know it will sound very pretentious, but I'm only saying what I believe in: This mixer destroys, crashes, eliminates, any other DJ mixer that I heard, also after many A/B testings at home and in the club. And I've tried them all - Urei, Bozak, Allen & Heath, Formula Sound, Rane. No contest. The sound is huge, majestic, lush, amazing definition and resolution and punch and magic. When you look at the parts used, it shouldn't be a surprise actually.

Not only that it worked and the system sounds out of this world, but the crowd actually notices it not only in a sub-concious level. Everybody knows about it, everybody noticed the change in the sound, everybody is talking about it and the DJs are ecstatic to use it.

I would love to explain more about it (I don't believe in secrets about sound, I like to share) but I have to go now. If anybody is interested, I will post more pictures and explain more when it's completely finished.

And BTW, I do not use the Thrive isolator. It is in the pictures because I did buy it and I do have it in the booth, but only for looks. I do appreciate the Thrive for what it does good, but it's not the direction I chose to go with my system.

Also, I should say that this forum, which I've found a little over 3 years ago, was the first place where I started learning important things about club sound and it was also one of the reasons that I chose to open my club.

Yaron
Old 10-25-2008, 09:57 PM

nuff respect
Old 10-26-2008, 06:52 AM

Awesome! Well done! Do you have a recorded mix that we could listen to get an idea of this sound? I know it's nothing close to experiencing it in real life, but it would still interest me.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:03 AM

and what did you use for your system?

amps? cabinets? drivers? processors? all analog?

is it an RLA style system?
Old 10-26-2008, 11:23 AM

Yaron

Since, you're going for mastering grade sound, won't you need external DACs for the CDJs?
Old 10-27-2008, 09:18 PM

Hey,

I wish I had more time to write, but I rarely have a minute to rest from work. I tell you, I never imagined owning a club would be like that - not having a life, not having a minute to breath.

There are a few important things in the mixer that need to be fixed and finished and I can't even find the time to take it up north to Igor the technician.

I don't have any recording yet, but somebody did record one night and I'll ask him if he can give me the recording. I'm interested myself in how it will sound.

At the moment I'm using digital processors - XTAs. However a part of the mixer is the analog 3 way crossover which will go to subs and super tweeters and the full range will go to the XTAs. But the crossover is not operational yet, will be in a couple of weeks. After that I plan to do some A/B testing between analog and digital for full range crossover and decide.

It's a 6 way system - sub (24"), bass, low mid, high mid, high, super tweeters. The subs, bass, tops and Turbosound Floodlight. The super tweeters, hanging above the dancefloor, are the classic JBL arrays that were installed by Richard Long in the Israeli club - Colloseum back in 1981 (yes, he came over here to do the sound). I found most of that old RLA sound system, gathering dust in a forgotten corner of some warehouse near Tel Aviv. Nobody knew that it means anything to anyone so I got it pretty cheap and took it to be repaired using original parts.

There's a few more stuff in there that I plan to check in the system.

The Turbosound Floodlight - I'm inlove with this system. It gives me amazing resulotion and detailed sound. Then the mixer is taking it to another universe and the custom made Pultec gives the warmth and magic.

Regarding D/A convertors - yes I did want to get the Lynx Aurora, but unfortunately I can't afford it at the moment. Personaly I play mostly vinyl and many of the other DJs that play with me also use vinyls.

Also we worked with an acoustic engineer throughout the project. We built the walls in special angles to eliminate standing waves etc. The proportions of the spaces were decided based on acoustics. Almost every decision about materials and looks were firstly based on acoustics. The dancefloor is acoustically treated inside and also floating on rubber (sprung floor - it's amazing!). The place rings wondefrul.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:34 PM

Go On Yaron, Fly High, Your Going Places!

Old 10-28-2008, 06:02 AM

Awesome stuff! If you get a moment any chance of some pics?
Old 10-29-2008, 01:04 AM

24'' subs eh?

the turbo 24'' subs are the most badass sub ive ever heard the sheer strength of these is incredible they arent as smooth a levan horn but they are my fave sub of all time (especially for d&b) i love to feel bass and get pushed by it and there are few subs that can do this but a pair of these will shake the shit out of a room pound for pound they are the strongest single loaded box ive heard

peas
Old 10-29-2008, 01:06 PM

I have always enjoyed Turbosound over the other equipment I have been exposed to at clubs.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolk151
I have always enjoyed Turbosound over the other equipment I have been exposed to at clubs.
And when THIS one is at its HIGHEST point of design, custom analog xovers, tweaked to the nnnth degree, etc, It becomes Turosound on a SUPERCHARGER with Nitrous to boot!
Old 10-29-2008, 04:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to charles0322
Thumbs up awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braker
I'm Yaron, the guy who designed the mixer, together with Igor the technician.

Yaron, thank you so much for taking the time in your post, your ideas and sharing them with all of us.

I know you are someone who understands the magic of music. How it can trigger the most amazing emotions if delivered in a precise way. You have my ultimate respect as an enthused listener.. I would love to visit one day.

So much of today's sound (and in society in general) is built around convenience. It is most obvious that you have spared no effort in your designs and attitudes towards sound.. in a nightclub it should be the most important thing.

I am pretty good around a dj rotary and in a booth.. your mixer scares me in a good way. So much to learn You are a visionary, keep on pressing on.. and one day I hope to be experiencing that system as a dancer
Old 10-29-2008, 05:24 PM

In conversation, Yaron said to me, I don't understand something?

Whats that, Yaron?

The people do the strangest dance moves, I mean they staert moving in ways, The DJ,s too! I didnt understand when you were telling me tis two years ago, but I see it now. AND, they do these moves, to the some of the same music they hear in other clubs, BUT I don't see them movelike this in any other place.

Thats " THE FUNKY "! The funky lives in ALL of us, most of the time we are not motivated to act out on what we feel, cause there aint nothing to feel, BUT through the right system, with a certain sound, MUSIC makes people let their hair down and act out on their feelings, THEIR INNER FEELINGS! We don't even realize what we are doing, we just do it. THAT is WHAT that is! " THE FUNKY "!

Now, Yaron, always remember this, NO MATTER WHAT, never lose sight of them, your crowd, cause your going to do VERY well. BUT, its BECAUSE of them as well as your sound and creativity that you do well.NEVER LET YOUR HEAD GET BIG ABOUT IT, cuse NO MATTER how good your room sounds, WITHOUT THEM INSIDE IT, your room aint shit!

Another thing, WAIT, it gets better yet still. Your gonna have packed nights, and slam a track in, EVERYONE SCREAMS and THROWS their hands in the air! And thats a great feeling.

But, ANYONE can make a packed house scream, its the night you do something, and people are crying, and getting emotional, THATS THE NIGHT YOU DID SOMETHING!

When you touch their INNERMOST NERVE!

THIS MAN Yaron Trax, HE IS GOING PLACES!

Old 11-14-2008, 05:31 AM

@ Yaron, respect!
i wish one day i pass by your club
Old 11-14-2008, 05:53 AM

Great story - glad to hear things like this still happen in this digital age. Why can't all clubs be like this? Damn I wish I could hear that system - this is the future of clubbing .
Old 04-26-2016, 12:37 AM

This is it, right?

Original link went dead...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1461508690399.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	3275  

Doolittle & Seymour Associates
Old 04-28-2016, 06:54 PM

Yup, that's it.