Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2014, 09:37 PM

My Buzzy Beck Bozak Restoration!

I'm not as handy as Vinyl Junky, so I couldn't do my own Bozak restoration. Lucky for us on this side of the pond, we have technicians like the Great Buzzy Beck. I got ahold of Buzzy and asked him if he could restore my aging Bozak. It wasn't sounding too good. One phono card didn't work, and the other didn't sound too good. I couldn't turn it up too loud either, or it would cut out, and the power light was busted. He wanted to see some pictures, so I emailed him these.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:50 PM

So Buzzy looked at the pictures and said to go ahead and send it, so I boxed it up and sent it to him. He got it four days later, and he immediately started working on it. I must have caught him at a good time because he wasn't working on anything else at the time, so he started working on mine. By the end of that first day, he had it diagnosed and told me everything that was wrong with it. Here is what it looked like on the scope:

On a properly working Bozak, it's supposed to look like this:

To make a long story short, we decided to do a complete rebuild, which basically meant, he was going to build me a brand new Bozak on my Chassis, using the original circuit boards and transformer. Everything else, was getting replaced. I chose not to have the chassis replatted, because that would have added another month to the build, plus I kind of like the original patina of the original chassis. First thing he did was take the whole thing apart. He then added all new gold RCA's and Mic jacks and XLR jacks. Repainted the transformer, new power cord and re lettered the chassis after cleaning the chassis.

He then stripped the main circuit board.

Here it is with the back of the mixer all put together.

Last edited by Panotaker : 03-13-2014 at 04:22 AM.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:03 PM

Here are a few close ups of the back of the mixer.

He then started working on the face plate. 5 new Black Alps pots and a hand full of blue ones.

Next came the power supply board. Here is the before and after pictures.

Before you know it, he was just about done. Here are some close ups.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:12 PM

In less than a week, he was done, and had finished testing it, and he boxed it up and sent it back to me. Here is what it looked like when I opened up the box yesterday.

Here is what it looks like setup in my man cave along with my two Technics SL-1100A's, and my Sennheiser HD-414 headphones to complete the vintage setup.

Here is everything he did to it.

The mixer looks and sounds fantastic. It's perfect! It should last another 40 years. He gave me a warranty on it for as long as I own the mixer, which will be till the day I die! Thanks Buzzy! You are THE MAN!

Last edited by Panotaker : 03-13-2014 at 04:23 AM.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:24 PM

What a fantastic job, it looks superb and I bet it sounds great too.

That was some mega clipping and what looked like crossover distortion on the oscilloscope, what caused it?
Looks like some one had the mixer apart before judging by the screws on the front panel

Also the face panel cleaned up really well too! Bet you are over the moon with it

Edit.. Ignore that, I just read the face panel was replaced. Was going to say it looks like new!

Last edited by vinyl_junkie : 03-13-2014 at 06:12 PM.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:00 AM

The faceplate is new as well as most of the knobs. I don't know what caused the crossover distortion. It still sounded pretty good before the rebuild at low volume. The phono cards where shot, so I was just using it with the auxiliary pots. I can use the phono inputs now and it sounds fantastic. The new black alp pots are smooth as butter! I almost sold the mixer a couple of times in the past, glad I didn't. It's not going anywhere now.