Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-17-2014, 07:58 PM

System Wiring

Hello Everyone,

I am finally putting together my home system, which is old school in the spirit of analogue RLA. Where can I get the best wiring for the electronics? Not for the speaker wire, which is already done. I've been told the wires should be custom made and not store bought, because custom will sound much better. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Old 02-18-2014, 07:16 AM

Lots of opinions on cables so I"ll stay out of that discussion. For me the big reason for custom is the ability to get every cable the exact length and routed the way I wanted to.

Al
Old 02-18-2014, 04:50 PM

Just by the sheer size of the cable industry you can see that there's a quite a bunch of people that think cables matter a lot for audio, but then there are scientific studies that prove that there's no audible difference if you're using the right gauge for the right distance.

If you want them custom made, I hope you mean making them yourself? just buy proper Neutrik connectors and some decently thick cable and solder it together.

buying in store is no problem, you don't get the exact length you might need but it is easier. A brand like Klotz offers great cables at decent prices.

Personally I never spend more than 15 euros on 1.5 meter of RCA cable and I think thats already quite expensive. For XLR I buy Tasker cable, they have Neutrik connectors and quality cable and are decently priced. 15 euros for one 3m XLR male-female cable
Old 02-18-2014, 07:55 PM

Hi Allen,

I tried sending you a PM, but your mail is full. Can you clear some mail or send me a PM?

Thanks
Old 02-18-2014, 08:17 PM

Main concern when choosing cabling is the when running longer runs especially if single ended RCA is being used, cable should be low capacitance per foot or metre and shielded.

I agree on the custom front, you can make them to exact length and keep your cabling tidy.

As to sound quality, electrons do not care about where the copper was made they will pass through the conductor just the same regardless of X, Y or Z brand being on the jacket.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISCOGUY
Hi Allen,

I tried sending you a PM, but your mail is full. Can you clear some mail or send me a PM?

Thanks

Fixed it, sorry didn't know I was maxed out.

Allen