Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-31-2013, 01:11 PM

Sound System Volume Calibration?

What kind of volume levels are clubs (with quality sound) shooting for, in the dancefloor area? How about in the bar area?

I'm working on a club in an area where noise violations are pretty easy to get, but I think I can engineer my way out of it with careful system calibration.

Thanks for any pointers...
rs
Old 10-31-2013, 05:33 PM

Noise violations usually stems from Bass. You may want to go outside the club to determine if indeed it is the bass escaping in the streets.

Best Regards,
Old 11-01-2013, 02:51 AM

I understand, and agree with, that notion. Bass management is in the forefront of my mind, believe me.

What I am curious about is what some dbA benchmarks are for dancefloor and bar areas. Those quantities will dictate many things about my design.

rs
Old 11-01-2013, 08:52 AM

There are no dBa benchmarks. You merely turn up your tops until the level sounds right based on the room you are providing sound. C-Weighting is how you determine the overall level not A-Weighting.

Best Regards,
Old 11-01-2013, 10:09 AM

Thanks for the input. Any other perspectives? rs

Last edited by rs_ : 11-01-2013 at 10:12 AM.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:17 AM

Contact

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs_
What kind of volume levels are clubs (with quality sound) shooting for, in the dancefloor area? How about in the bar area?

I'm working on a club in an area where noise violations are pretty easy to get, but I think I can engineer my way out of it with careful system calibration.

Thanks for any pointers...
rs

local enforcement they will tell you legal measurements not surpass or acoustical engineers in your area that deal with these issues after clubs need to treat a space because of spl issues, then you will know no more then 90db for example
Old 11-01-2013, 11:33 AM

Thanks for the reply. I do know the local limits and I will abide by them.

But, what I am looking for is a concept of "how loud" the dance area should be, and how much quieter surrounding bar areas should be. Once I know that, I can design the system, speaker placement, and acoustical treatment around those numbers vis-a-vis local regulations.

I used to work for an acoustics consulting firm and I have a concept of how loud a large church or classical concert hall or hospital paging system should be, but I don't know those numbers for a dance club. Surely someone has a specific concept of this and would be kind enough to contribute.

rs
Old 11-01-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs_
Thanks for the reply. I do know the local limits and I will abide by them.

But, what I am looking for is a concept of "how loud" the dance area should be, and how much quieter surrounding bar areas should be. Once I know that, I can design the system, speaker placement, and acoustical treatment around those numbers vis-a-vis local regulations.

I used to work for an acoustics consulting firm and I have a concept of how loud a large church or classical concert hall or hospital paging system should be, but I don't know those numbers for a dance club. Surely someone has a specific concept of this and would be kind enough to contribute.

rs

You cannot follow a principal, you must use your own judgement based on the venue(s) you are providing sound. That is how sound men gauge the levels in the sound reinforcement market.

Conducting a Classical event & Church gathering is completely different than providing dance music in a club. The most I can tell you, is to bring your SPL meter to various clubs to get an idea how the levels differ from venue to venue if you cannot use your ears to determine what is a respectable level in a club you are providing sound based on your surroundings.

Best Regards,
Old 11-02-2013, 09:40 AM

There's a club in the Netherlands, Club Air, that has a Void Airmotion system, it won numerous awards for best sounding club, and they promote themselves as an 'earsafe' club and keep the volume on the dancefloor at 103dB (A or C weighting is nowhere to be found).

Just and indication
Old 11-12-2013, 11:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to atf104
Most won't officially tell you anything, but a solid high-powered hi-fi system these days is hitting in the 140's+ in the middle of the floor.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atf104
Most won't officially tell you anything, but a solid high-powered hi-fi system these days is hitting in the 140's+ in the middle of the floor.

that would be a lot of fun. one system i did in berlin would do 135 in the bass range in the sweetspot, but i have not experienced that kind of pressure in most rooms that i have been in, either as a dancer or tech. dont rem that kind of pressure at cielo or output, for example and the same guy designed all of the subs.

unfortunately, most of the last years of mine have been spent battling budgets and neighbors, or mixing bands
Old 11-14-2013, 01:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to atf104
Yea Output is pretty intense in the middle, when the right stuff is playing lol. Pacha can be pretty damn loud too, I wouldnt be suprised if they're hitting 140.

When I say 140's+ I meant like low to mid 140's.

Anyone know what Space NYC is doing soundwise?