Links

Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2013, 01:51 PM

JBL PRX subs really worth more than twice the EON sub?

Comparing the 18 inch powered ones, is the top PRX 718xlf sub really worth more than twice the EON518s sub? For the price these are going for, you can get twice the number of EONs that are easier to carry and end up having larger box volume in pairs per the PRX. The EONs also have neodymium magnets while the newest JBL PRX has regressed to ferrites. How much better construction could the PRX really be to make it worth it? And between the added box volume of two EONs AND the allowance to run each at a lower, less distorted wattage level, then isn't the PRX pricing unreasonable? If you really think going the PRX route is worth the price & weight increase and halving of box volume per dollar, make a convincing case for it.

http://www.openfuelstandard.org/2011...pen-wager.html
Old 09-12-2013, 08:27 AM

On paper, I would say so, yes.

The PRX is only slightly heavier and slightly larger than the EON, and yet has a peak output close to double that of the EON (5dB).

It also has a significantly lower frequency extension at the bottom end.

So one PRX will be almost as loud as two EON's, will drop lower, weigh a lot less and take up a lot less space in the van. The PRX's are fitted with a superior threaded pole mount socket too.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:51 PM

Hey, thanks for responding.

I don't care about total van space or total weight, though. I do care about sound quality, total SPL, and individual weights. So it looks like it's a trade-off between (possibly) sound quality versus individual lifting-weight.

On another forum someone seemed to think there was a good chance coupled lower-priced/quality (comparatively) sub pairings would sound better (fidelity, extension, and output) than individual higher-end subs per channel. His answer was consistent with my prior understanding of what happens to subwoofer drivers and cabinets as they get driven near their limits. Extension and response also tends to even-out with sub groupings due to the way multiple similarly-sized cabinets give you essentially twice the LxWxH volume if you go 2X the number. There have been tests that show it.

So the information I've been getting so far hasn't been entirely consistent and in universal agreement on the sound quality front. No easy answer. And on the SPL front, it looks like the EONs would be the same or slightly louder in total. The lifting-weight is obviously in favor of the EONs. I don't know. EON supposedly has a more-wimpy & inferior woofer design, but like anything in audio I would expect trade-offs in voice coil size to possibly have benefits elsewhere. Is that wrong?

It'd be an interesting experiment to actually test some time if I had that many of these models to compare, but alas, that's not possible.

Last edited by Reticuli : 09-13-2013 at 01:38 AM.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reticuli
Hey, thanks for responding.
I don't care about total van space or total weight, though. I do care about sound quality, total SPL, and individual weights. So it looks like it's a trade-off between (possibly) sound quality versus individual lifting-weight.

I'm surprised packing space isn't important to you - most people buying active subs like these want to move them around.

If it isn't, then you're right I'd say, for your purposes you have to decide whether per-box lifting weight or sound quality is more important.

You might want to consider something similar to the PRX from another manufacturer that meets your lifting weight requirements better - I'm sure there are other good active 18" subs around that have neo drivers.

Quote:
On another forum someone seemed to think there was a good chance coupled lower-priced/quality (comparatively) sub pairings would sound better (fidelity, extension, and output) than individual higher-end subs per channel. His answer was consistent with my prior understanding of what happens to subwoofer drivers and cabinets as they get driven near their limits. Extension and response also tends to even-out with sub groupings due to the way multiple similarly-sized cabinets give you essentially twice the LxWxH volume if you go 2X the number. There have been tests that show it.

Reflex designs (like the cabinets we're discussing) don't get much if any low frequency extension from coupling, as I understand it. Horn designs on the other hand very much do, as the frequency to which they play is dependent on mouth size. In other words, you will always get more bottom end from the PRX.

My knowledge is limited as to whether the response flattening will happen with coupled reflex cabs - I know this is the case for horns but I'm not sure about reflex.

Quote:
So the information I've been getting so far hasn't been entirely consistent and in universal agreement on the sound quality front. No easy answer. And on the SPL front, it looks like the EONs would be the same or slightly louder in total. The lifting-weight is obviously in favor of the EONs. I don't know. EON supposedly has a more-wimpy & inferior woofer design, but like anything in audio I would expect trade-offs in voice coil size to possibly have benefits elsewhere. Is that wrong?

My gut feeling is that the EON's will be very much engineered down to a price point, and the quality of the drivers in them will reflect that. It may be the case that they have a lighter driver and a slightly better transient response but I wouldn't bet on it.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:39 AM

the PRX are simply more professional. They go lower, louder and are better built, they look less like a spaceship. The EON has a 500 watt amp the PRX 1500 watts.

If you don't care about weight and space, consider some 2nd hand passive subwoofers with an amp rack. Changes are you're going to find a beastly subwoofer setup for less money that goes louder and deeper
Old 09-16-2013, 09:02 PM

I already do know of such cheap used DIY/custom local beasts, Estacy, but we're talking 180-280lbs per box. Ouch. I'd rather spend less, with less per-box weight, AND have great deep loud bass. Looks like I can't have everything I want.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:05 AM

I think some folks will say that reflex subs can benefit from multiple unit coupling...

but it's more of a placement/ spacing optimization...

the Mistick Krewe account is temp. disabled,

forgive the ressurection of DSA.audio please...
Old 09-17-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSA.audio
I think some folks will say that reflex subs can benefit from multiple unit coupling...

but it's more of a placement/ spacing optimization...

maybe if you stack them really tall, but there is not the same coupling as with horns.

for the OP, are neodym magnets are obviously an improvement regarding weight, but are a lateral move acoustically.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by der geile ami
maybe if you stack them really tall, but there is not the same coupling as with horns.

for the OP, are neodym magnets are obviously an improvement regarding weight, but are a lateral move acoustically.

Does the new version with ferrites not weighing more factor in at all?

Old 09-18-2013, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Does the new version with ferrites not weighing more factor in at all?

t-s parameters should matter more
Old 09-20-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by der geile ami
t-s parameters should matter more

Don't know them.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:39 PM

I'd like to get a pair of Lab Subs, but the weight is a worry.

What do you guys think between the B52 Act 18, Peavey EU218, Yorkville ES808, and Carvin trx-2121?

Old 10-02-2013, 01:27 PM

Lets take the York and B52 out for weight and add the 718xlf back to consideration.