Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 07:18 AM

recording setup assistance

Hi Forum,

Sorry, I've been a member for years, never contribute and come around begging for help...

So, I'm a complete novice, I've got a new iMac, and Apogee Duet and a Bozak CMA 10-2-DL. I'd like to record mixes but also listen to records when the computer is turned off.

How do I wire it all up, repeated pissing around whilst not reading the manual is getting me nowhere...

Do I need to use both outputs on the mixer ((xlr/phono?) one to my amp and one to the duet), and if so which to which?

On the breakout cable for the duet, which is "in" and which is "out"?

Before getting the computer I was using the phono outputs on the mixer straight to my amp to listen to records.

As I said, new to mac, new to duet.

Helplessly yours....

PS I appreciate anyone telling me to read the manual ;-)
Old 03-21-2013, 10:18 AM

Send a message via AIM to charles0322
Pretty good gear for a novice

as for recording to or playback from the puter, it will have to be on

you can play records fine without the computer on

as for the output / input routing.. I dont have that much experience with that mixer.. is there a booth output? (cant remember on this model)

what tape outputs do you have on the mixer?

I would connect booth out or tape out to Apogee..

and then house out to AMP
Old 03-21-2013, 10:22 AM

the setup is really straight forward.. once you install and plug the apogee via mac with drivers go into your system preferences in your apple menu top right.. go into sound and choose apogee duet..

test it through the headphone jack to make sure you have playback..

then connect the cables to and from the mixer..

what program where you thinking about using for recording?
Old 03-21-2013, 11:11 AM

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I've got playback from the mac to the duet and into the amp, working fine.

Plugging either outputs from the mixer into any of the duet inputs yields no signal on the duet. The mixer works as I can plug directly into the amp and get signal.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:55 AM

if you plug the apogee stereo out into AUX 1, and then the output on the mixer to the amp everything works fine?

then what program are you using to capture audio from the duet.. again I dont have an apogee duet.. but try from another line source into the duet.. and start by trying to capture sound directly from a cd player using your software.. after that it looks like you have a tape out or a booth out on the mixer.. once you get signal into the apogee using another line source it should be fine with the Bozak..

the extra set of RCA outs above the XLR, not sure if this is a booth out, tape out or just another master out option instead of XLR.. not sure if they both send signal at the same time, but that should be easy to test

Last edited by charles0322 : 03-21-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:01 PM

actually I think your mixer only has the one Stereo out, with two options XLR or RCA..

doesnt look like there is a booth or tape out?? I know this is the reason this Bozak usually sells for less than the other model with those options..

Just not sure if those RCA and XLR send signal simultaneously
Old 03-21-2013, 12:07 PM

worse case scenario to get you out of a jam without modding the mixer you could use a set of RCA splitter cables to go to the amp and apogee at the same time.. not the best solution but not horrible either
Old 03-21-2013, 08:29 PM

is it possible to go bozak loop out, into the duet, out of the duet, bozak loop in?
Old 03-22-2013, 05:08 AM

So, I've not tried the loop, maybe an option...

Using both XLR and RCA seems to half the signal (volume out of the amp), but still using either individually can't get signal on the duet.

Temporary/botched solution, I'm running the mixer to the amp aux in and monitoring with the duet on the the tape out of the amp. I can thus get signal from the tape out on my amp to input 1 on the duet using the inst setting on the duet's input 1. (Why the inst setting and not the line?)

This seems unnecessarily clunky but I'll run with what works. Any other suggestions warmly received!
Old 03-22-2013, 03:07 PM

Definitely should work if you run Loop Out to the Duet, then out from the Duet into the Loop In, then Master Outs from your Bozak to your amp. Done it myself this way, albeit with a different soundcard. Just make sure you've got direct monitoring set up on your Duet preferences so that the signal coming in gets sent straight back out again. Judging from pages 33-38 in the Duet's user guide, you need to do this in the Maestro mixer page. If you're recording in Logic, make sure you untick Software Monitoring in the Logic preferences as they suggest, as you'll be using Maestro to monitor instead.

The other option is to connect the Loop Out to the Duet input, but connect the Duet's output to a spare input channel on the Bozak (if you have one). Then just connect the Master out from the Bozak to the amp. When nothing is connected to the Loop In, the Loop Out acts as a Tape Out. Just make sure direct monitoring is off if you connect it this way, or you'll end up with a feedback loop as you turn up the channel the Duet is playing into.

Last edited by misterharrison : 03-22-2013 at 03:12 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:33 PM

Thanks for the tips, all good. Loop out from the bozak into the duet input 1, signal clear although only monitoring in the "inst" setting. Before shelling out for Logic, I'm testing recording in Audacity and only one (left) channel appears to be monitored? What's wrong now?! Do I need to use input 1 and 2 on the duet as left and right? I'm currently running left and right phono's out the bozak into a stereo jack in input 1...
Old 03-26-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred naked
Thanks for the tips, all good. Loop out from the bozak into the duet input 1, signal clear although only monitoring in the "inst" setting. Before shelling out for Logic, I'm testing recording in Audacity and only one (left) channel appears to be monitored? What's wrong now?! Do I need to use input 1 and 2 on the duet as left and right? I'm currently running left and right phono's out the bozak into a stereo jack in input 1...

Scratch that, I just read the packet for the lead: "mono 1/4" jack to 2 x phono"

doh!