Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 11:06 PM

Digital Audio Recorder

Hi guys,

Can anyone recommend a high quality portable audio recorder? One that I can take to a DJ gig and record from the mixers record outs, then later transfer the file to my computer.

Something similar to this; http://www.alesis.com/twotrack but with two RCA inputs rather than a mini jack in.

Interested to see if anyone has any experience with one of these units.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:38 AM

I have two. I have a small one and a bigger one. The small one is an M-Audio Micro Track II. It fits in your pocket. It has 1/4" jack inputs, so you need an adapter to go to RCA jacks. It makes excellent recordings as high as 96/24 wave files. My other one is a Marantz PMD671. It is about as big as a book. The Marantz is the top of the food chain when it comes to digital recorders. I like it because it has a third head. So you can listen at the same time it is recording. You can even rewind it and play back a different portion of what you recorded, while it is still recording. It has RCA inputs and outputs. It has tons of features, but it is not cheap. It is what the court reporters use. I bought mine used, so I saved a bunch. The Micro Track is nice because it is small, due to the fact that it doesn't have built in mics, so it is smaller than most other portable units that have built in mics. I does come with a couple of small mics incase you want to use them.

I think all those small digital recorders pretty much sound the same as long as you use the line input. On the expensive ones, like my Marantz, you are paying for the mic preamps, and the extra features. So if you are going to get one just to record through the line inputs, I don't think it makes much difference which one you get.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:32 PM

I use the Zoom Q3HD cam for audio recordings, it's great.

They also have a smaller unit, maybe about the same size of the Alesis TwoTrack that is great, it's called Zoom H1.

My experience is that these units serves high quality recordings both in live environments using the built in mic, or directly from the line input.

Edit: Sorry, didn't see that you needed to have RCA inputs and not mini jack.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:42 PM

The M-Audio unit is exactly what I am after.

Have read good reviews on the Zoom units however have no use for the high quality mic pre amps.

The consensus in your responses is that they all have high quality recording via the line inputs which was one of my concerns answered.

Top response guys thanks
Old 02-25-2013, 01:08 PM

I have two of the Zoom units, the Zoom H2, and the H4n. They work great!

The "new" version of the H2 is the H2n.

The H4n is much bigger, but has much better mics in it. You can do a quad-track recording if you want with the 4n, 2 channels off the mixer, and 2 channels recording crowd noise. Kind of neat!

I think the M-Audio unit was discontinued.