Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 03:56 PM

potentiometer on audiophile amp

hi - i want to use my audiophile amp with my dj setup but it doesnt have any pots on it and im trying to regulate the volume. i run an old urei 1620 from the booth out to old dbx 163 compressors and then to the amp. the compressors sound really good when they get lit up just a little but that is way to loud for the amps ins without any sort of attenuation. my question is... i have an old alps 100k pot lying around - can i hook it up in a box with some rca jacks and put it inbetween the comp and the amp for a volume control? thanks - bret
Old 01-06-2013, 10:55 PM

Doesn't the 163 have a control to drop the level to to -10dB?

Impedance can be a real issue when using passive attenuators, especially if using longer cables going to the amp. I would suggest if going that route to use a 10k pot. What is the input impedance of your amp?
Old 01-07-2013, 03:26 PM

hey - you are correct on the switch in the back for pro / home gear. i just always leave it on the +4 because i thought it dealt with the input not the output... i will test it out tonite. as for the impedence of the amp i will have to check it out online. its a company called musical design and they are hand made in st louis. the amp is on a shelf less than a meter away from the dbxs and i use really good cables. ill check if i have a 10k lying around although it wont be an alps(am i a pot snob??? hahaha) and give it a try... im going to build a small signal switcher soon and this pot could easily squeak in there....