Links

Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-18-2012, 01:10 PM

Need a balanced 2-ch/dual/stereo XLR to mono balanced XLR mixer or passive summing

I don't want to make the Rane website one. But I'd be willing to buy something like that or pay someone to make one. For something so commonly needed with PA and so talked about on the web, I'm amazed no one has actually made one... outside of the unbalanced to balanced DI boxes.

http://www.openfuelstandard.org/2011...pen-wager.html
Old 10-18-2012, 01:14 PM

Wait a minute... would I just need to solder a 20kohm 1% resistor between the + and - on the joined end on something like this? I don't have an iron, but that should be something I could buy from ratshack and try. Is that what the diagram says?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HOSA-YXF-119...10917005230%26

I realize I could simply remove the + on one channel on that Hosa and the - on another channel (on the dual end) just by clipping and some electrical tape to get active summing in the differential amp on the subwoofer's input, but I'd rather not lose the common mode rejection and force the new XLR microphone cables to run as unbalanced. I'm kinda pissed this sub doesn't have stereo inputs on it.

Last edited by Reticuli : 10-18-2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:22 AM

Edcor makes passive summing transformers that have less insertion loss than the resistor route. I think I saw 1/4 dB specified. Plus the output is transformer-balanced to boot.

rs

Last edited by rs_ : 10-19-2012 at 12:25 AM.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:28 AM

I have used a couple of these ie for summing a signal for a single dj monitor.

Klick!
Old 10-19-2012, 02:12 PM

I can definitely do it if I don't mind losing balanced. I think my passive RCA and 3.5mm summing box I'm using at my computer will do it fine. And there's the XLR to rewired Y connector route that can make use of the differential opamp on the sub input.

But keeping the line balanced seems like a nice option.

I woke up this morning with an idea to reroute signals from one monitor to the other monitor and then use the summing amp on a monitor to send this signal to the sub, but unfortunately the monitor outputs are post volume pot.

Any US distributors for the Millenium? It's more just for shipping to the USA than the price of the unit. Does it use resistors or transformers?

Last edited by Reticuli : 10-19-2012 at 07:17 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:37 AM

I can open it up, take a pic and post it.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:32 PM

Holy shmoley it worked. XLR Y stereo pair into XLR single mono with the opposite signals dropped. I'm just very annoyed that the Peavey tops have their frigg'n outputs as post-gain/volume knob. I called them today and they don't think there are any easy jumpers in there to make the outs post-knob or unity by default (so knob has no effect). The sub is still a little too quiet, even though it's a lot louder than using unbalanced from the tops, to a passive TEC sum box I've got (normally used on my computer for headphones), and then into the sub. That technique's got barely any signal at all. Tops are loud as hell even with the knobs way down, but out is so low, then 6dB down from the summing resistors. Darn.

I have no problem with volume obviously going unbalanced separately: master to the tops, booth to the sub, or vice versa. But I can only do short runs with that.

I was thinking using Y-cables from the single XLR from my main interface/controller, but I'm pretty sure that will wreck havoc without that special XLR summing box from England. It won't allow the output opamps to behave with the + dropped on one side and the - dropped on the other on just one each of the Y splits.

So the solutions left are using a dedicated crossover...

or another pair of Ys with either a dedicated mixer, that passive XLR sum box ($80), or a transformer/regenerator/converter box ($50)...

or just live with unbalanced and limit my runs.

What's the cheapest good-sounding external crossover with a pair of XLR ins, mono out to the sub, and the crossed XLR outs to go back up to the tops?

It has to be substantially cheaper than just buying another sub, because with all the cables I've been trying I'm starting to lose my savings with only going with one. I could have saved cash on poles instead of tripods, short XLRs just to go from the tops to the subs, etc... and had stereo bass!

Last edited by Reticuli : 10-29-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:37 AM

Why don't you just follow one of Rane's schematics for your summing, probably cost a few dollars in resistors.

Last edited by Richi : 10-30-2012 at 07:40 AM.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:57 AM

I sort of have a different problem now. The passive summing box I've got works fine for summing unbalanced. And the XLR balanced input works great for actively summing the stereo balanced pair with a modded Y cable... much better than using resistors. Only problem now is my tops' outs are post-gain knob and/or the fact that I only have one set of balanced outs on my interface/controller. I suppose I could go the route of building a passive summing XLR Y cable *and* add a pair of XLR Ys to my main outputs.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:25 PM

Can you draw a picture of what you a trying to do?