Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-24-2012, 12:58 AM

Discotheque N77 Rotary Mixer

Ahoy there fellow wavers!

It's about time this mixer had a thread here me thinks..! I'm really feeling the interesting layout and looks of this cracking little mixer and have received the following info from SuperStereo UK:

"The configuration options available are:

(full model) SIFAM VU meters and 4 lines, Urei knobs, Nanuk plastic case (1176 + VAT) =1471 + shipping by default or (basic model as the pics) full warranted generic VU meters 2 lines 2 Phono, glow fluted Knobs (999 + VAT) = 1199 + shipping

Every unit discothequeN77 have 3 years limited warranty. From the moment of purchasing it takes approximately from 4 to 6 weeks to build and deliver it to your doorstep."

There are no images available yet for the 4 channel mixer but it's going to be tight to get 4 pots on there - am guessing the unit will have to be a touch bigger unless they remove the per channel eq. It might take some getting used to with the centre master volume and triangular placed eq but I love the vu meters and overall layout - very fresh compared to today's linear/pioneer efforts.

Split/cue also a bonus for me for late night headphone sessions and yes the phono/line switch could get knocked in the heat of the mix. As a portable option this definitely challenges the DJR 400 if your happy with 2 channels. Just waiting to see some kind of feedback from guys with hands-on experience...

Old 08-24-2012, 06:26 AM

To ME it looks like one of those hipster products where more has been spent on the looks of the box and marketing than the actual product itself from the hyperbole on their website, as for the price give me a break. Unless there is something seriously high end inside I don't see how any of that can cost that much... Plastic case, nice! Everything is probs on one big cheap circuit board

The layout is nice as are the features though albeit too small and cramped for my liking

Obviously this is all speculation as I've never played one and it would be silly of me to say I hate it before even using one but I paid less for a Bozak and I'm sure the E&S which is so dearly loved by people on this board with it's 4 channels comes in around a similar price bracket... I know what I'd rather have.
Also lets not forget the Bozure DIY mixers

This would of been an interesting mixer if they would of undercut the competition by a considerable amount price wise

Last edited by vinyl_junkie : 08-24-2012 at 06:31 AM.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:23 AM

Bringing a product to market is much more involved than just the price of the components and fabrication of the various parts. Boutique operators are going to be faced with much higher costs as their buying power will not meet minimum order quantity, discount prices, that would allow the end cost to be reduced. Then there would be capital being held back in case of 3 year warranty claims. This would be a liability that would need to be factored into the end cost of the unit. Labour is also going to be big percentage and then we have to think about the cost of of the various regulatory bodies that stifle some products even coming to market. There are so many variables to consider when getting a product ready to sell.

It's good to see some more devices coming out and if it attracts the hipsters, maybe they will get a nice mixer, who knows. I think aesthetics play an important part in the design, though the layout is not to my liking.

Good luck to them.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:53 PM

I'm interested in getting one to compare to my mates DJR 400 and my 1620LE/Iso-X set up! The DJR 400 cost my mate around 2000 euros and the N77 2 channel model comes in around 1400 euros so a fair price I would say. To be honest as a portable mixer the N77 has everything I really need so I'm just hoping for some positive feedback regarding sound quality...

On a side note the test DJ on the SuperStereo Facebook page D.Vyzor has actually used both the DJR400 & N77 and prefers the latter, but who's to say he's not biased and perhaps knows the team behind the N77? Only time will tell but as mentioned in a previous post on here it's good to have a new mixer to talk about
Old 08-26-2012, 02:59 AM

i only know 2 people who have heard it and they say it sounded better than the e&s but this was listening to cd's.....who knows.

it has been designed and made by people who care so i trust them to build something special.....

not sure why there is negativity here as usual....i thought this would be welcomed.....

i'm also looking forward to pern's mixers and maybe some of the new big name mixers coming out.....even the recent pioneers are beginning to get a six out of ten audio rating......soon they will hit a nine surely!!!

it seems reasonably priced to be honest.

still waiting on thermionics design for mr murphy though, soon come justin?
Old 08-26-2012, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylfunk
i only know 2 people who have heard it and they say it sounded better than the e&s but this was listening to cd's.....who knows.?

Cheers Darryl, good to hear some feedback on this! Are the guys you know on here or another forum perhaps? I'd love to find out more if possible.

Quote:
it has been designed and made by people who care so i trust them to build something special.....

not sure why there is negativity here as usual....i thought this would be welcomed.....

This is the most exciting product I've seen in ages and it's certainly welcome to me! It suits my style of mixing and I'm more that happy with just 2 channels for gigs.

Last edited by CJ Branda : 08-26-2012 at 05:26 AM.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:22 PM

i just think the layout is atrocious. makes zero sense to me.
the price seems pretty good, maybe it will lure some people to
consider a nice high-end rotary instead of the usual garbage.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:24 AM

I agree on the layout, the EQ looks like you couldn't fit a finger in between and is too close to the isolator. Whether this is actually a problem I cannot say since I don't think anyone here has used one
Old 08-27-2012, 01:36 AM

Video review N77 with DJ Simon, London UK

Just released on the web:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltd8i-g8MjQ

"Musical, warm, analogue sound"

"Incredible bass, clean crisp mids, tops sweet, non-fatiguing"

Last edited by CJ Branda : 08-27-2012 at 04:21 AM.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:05 AM

I think that the pricing for this is about right if they want to have a nice profit per unit and the option to attract some investors.
Yes, i also first thought that it looked more like a design/marketing exercise. But if the goal is to get some investors, then they are doing it just right.

How it sounds is important, but in the end i think people will buy it mostly due to the functionality/format as long as it sounds ok. It's nice that more
are doing rotary mixers, hopefully more people will use/want them due to this.

www.Bozure.com

On Facebook
Old 08-27-2012, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pern
How it sounds is important, but in the end i think people will buy it mostly due to the functionality/format as long as it sounds ok. It's nice that more are doing rotary mixers, hopefully more people will use/want them due to this.

Yes exactly Pern - it's great to see a new rotarty out - and portable too! Hope to see more of your fine work on here also
Old 08-27-2012, 04:46 AM

the master in the middle is not a very good idea..
Old 08-29-2012, 01:44 PM

Anybody know what's inside?
Old 08-31-2012, 09:22 AM

i was told it's all good quality parts laid out by an engineer of some standing.

similar or slightly better parts have been chosen as those used by jerome at e&s.

remember folks this is a 'custom' mixer - if you want to seriously find out about it you need to get to london to hear it or find the cash to buy one....a bespoke build mixer is never gonna be a mainstream product.....i really don't see any reason why it wouldn't be a fine piece of kit.

electronics are not magic.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Branda
Split/cue also a bonus for me for late night headphone sessions

Where did you find the information on it being a split cue set-up?
Old 09-09-2012, 08:05 AM

Ordered it in my, first reply was it will available in june.
7 mails later still no new date.

This sucks BIG time!
Old 09-09-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by now
Where did you find the information on it being a split cue set-up?

The website FAQ page..!
Old 09-09-2012, 11:23 AM

See, that’s what I don’t follow. The site says

☞ Cue master blend?

Yes, there is

which is the opposite of split cue, right? They mean that one can adjust how much of the master you hear while cuing, right? Not that there’s a switch for toggling between having one ear hear the cue and one the master, which is what I define split cue as.

Please correct my incorrect assumptions. I’d love having split cue.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by now
See, that’s what I don’t follow. The site says

☞ Cue master blend?

Yes, there is

which is the opposite of split cue, right? They mean that one can adjust how much of the master you hear while cuing, right? Not that there’s a switch for toggling between having one ear hear the cue and one the master, which is what I define split cue as.

Please correct my incorrect assumptions. I’d love having split cue.

Yeah there is no information as to what the 3 pots on the front panel do... I'm hoping the small centre pot pans between master and cue and anywhere in between. But of course I could be wrong as there is no info out there yet and only these video snippets to go by. Here is another one:

http://youtu.be/PNUVZVnZ7qw

Nice track by Moodymann too!

Last edited by CJ Branda : 09-10-2012 at 12:16 AM.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurin
Ordered it in my, first reply was it will available in june.
7 mails later still no new date.

This sucks BIG time!

not cool... I hope it turns up soon. I usually get a response by emailing all their address at the same time (including the buyer address).
Old 09-11-2012, 11:18 AM

darrylfunk: Yes -- electronics are not magic. Thanks for all that condescending hand-waving without actually saying anything. So what's in it?

Anybody know? ICs or discrete, transformers, or what? ALPS pots or something else? Is it a secret because it's run-of-the-mill circuitry in a pretty box?

rs

Last edited by rs_ : 09-11-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:24 PM

The FAQ states that it uses circuit boards.

How much information do you usually get on what’s in the box?

They do, however, seem very intent on selling the whole “military grade” concept.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:32 PM

Interesting unit and glad to see another rotary mixer on the market. However, it seems like the E&S makes better use of the same footprint. Its out of my price range but if I was in a position to be in the market, I would have to know more about the internals. In addition, I would feel better if it offered at least 3 channels for a little more flexibility.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs_
darrylfunk: Yes -- electronics are not magic. Thanks for all that condescending hand-waving without actually saying anything. So what's in it?

Anybody know? ICs or discrete, transformers, or what? ALPS pots or something else? Is it a secret because it's run-of-the-mill circuitry in a pretty box?

rs

stroppy jerk....i told you what juan told me.

it uses similar parts quality and design to the e&s.

it uses boutique pots, pcb and an external psu....are you a deluded but gifted individual who can tell what gear sounds like by a list of it's parts?

i have told everyone to contact juan at n77 direct - don't shoot the messenger.....

remembering why i stayed away from this forum now....
Old 09-14-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
.are you a deluded but gifted individual who can tell what gear sounds like by a list of it's parts?

He probably isn't, but knowing what parts are in a mixer is something I know you want to know. It tells you certain things, maybe not about sound quality, but on other things. An external PSU for example is great, because it keeps a noise source away from the circuitry. It's good to know what pots are in it, because then you know roughly how much useage you can expect on them. If you are familiar with electronics, knowing that certain kind of capacitors (or something) are used is good to know, since it tells you about whether or not they skimped on that to keep cost down for instance.