About Us
Labels
Distributed Labels
Links

Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads > Sound Installers and Manufacturers

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-13-2010, 12:53 PM

I have done extensive dummy load testing of many many amps while looking for specs and standards for our new OEM line.

I can say this with certainty but don't have time to write out all the numbers.

The Nyla while drawing only a maximum of 21amps from a solid 120v service will outperform a Crown 3600vz and QSC PL340 on output of voltage into a dummy load on various sine waves at 30Hz, 50Hz, 85Hz, 1KHz, 15KHz and heavy modern dance music.

The crown 3600Vz will slightly outperform at 50Hz and 85Hz 6v , but will draw up to 31-44amps from the service and be in hard limit.

The PL340 will slightly outperform at 30Hz and 50Hz by 2v per channel but will draw up to 31amps to do so in hard limit.

The Nyla is conservatively rated 1100 w at 2 ohm.and 800w at 4Ohm

All tests were done at 4 Ohm. in stereo both channels driven.

F
Freelance FOH/Monitor/System Tech/Stage Manager/
Stagehand Lead/Production Coordinator/Sound Enthusiast/Speaker Design

www.facebook.com/nathanshort
Old 04-13-2010, 02:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to atf104
And the Maya, which is very conservatively rated at 1500W x2 @ 2 Ohm (5Hz to over 20kHz) in my experience will walk all over a MA3600, especially in the low end range. The kick is so solid and snappy I could never go to any other amp for low end alone. Then there's the new Luna which will easily do 1500W x2 @ 4 ohm, i'll leave it at that, it's a beast.

All my Thrive amps run comfortably on 120V/30A circuits and have never tripped a breaker in the well over 2 years of use.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:50 AM

It appears the current drawn reflects the amplifier's true wattage. I've learned to appreciate ohms law more and more each day

Best Regards,
Old 04-18-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atf104
And the Maya, which is very conservatively rated at 1500W x2 @ 2 Ohm (5Hz to over 20kHz) in my experience will walk all over a MA3600, especially in the low end range. The kick is so solid and snappy I could never go to any other amp for low end alone. Then there's the new Luna which will easily do 1500W x2 @ 4 ohm, i'll leave it at that, it's a beast.

All my Thrive amps run comfortably on 120V/30A circuits and have never tripped a breaker in the well over 2 years of use.

I run all my thrives on 20A circuits and never tripped a breaker in the past 4 years. On headline dj nights, we are running them at 95% of its capacity. They are great amps, never go down once. Funny thing was my Crown 3600vz went out on us!
Old 06-27-2010, 05:59 PM

Send a message via MSN to RETRODISKO
is there any test lately on Crown IT Series? or its just for similar watt amplifiers? I work with It-8000 at 4 Ohms, never give any problem,. and likes how its sounds, however will love to hear comments about the performance of them.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RETRODISKO
is there any test lately on Crown IT Series? or its just for similar watt amplifiers? I work with It-8000 at 4 Ohms, never give any problem,. and likes how its sounds, however will love to hear comments about the performance of them.

Hi.

The I Tech 8000 was benched but never faired well. However, the amplifier ratings are based on "burst" and the test were sine waves.

If you like how the I Tech performs does it really matter what someone else feels about them?

Best Regards,
Old 06-29-2010, 01:56 AM

Send a message via MSN to RETRODISKO
youre right, howerver, not always one have the chance to have both and do A/B tests.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RETRODISKO
youre right, howerver, not always one have the chance to have both and do A/B tests.

Even A/B test can be questionable if the person sharing their thoughts have minimal experience with powerful amplifiers that are in the same class from a
wattage standpoint.

Best Regards,
Old 06-29-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Thompson
Even A/B test can be questionable if the person sharing their thoughts have minimal experience with powerful amplifiers that are in the same class from a
wattage standpoint.

Best Regards,

Well I A/B'd Thrive vs an equivalent wattage Lab in a controlled environment at a reputable speaker manufacturer's facility and the results we're not just negligible but quite remarkable. Even the guys at the speaker manufacturer double checked to see if the setting on the dsp processor changed as the difference in fidelity was nothing short of amazing. This was with Lab, with Crown there's not even a contest.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Well I A/B'd Thrive vs an equivalent wattage Lab in a controlled environment at a reputable speaker manufacturer's facility and the results we're not just negligible but quite remarkable. Even the guys at the speaker manufacturer double checked to see if the setting on the dsp processor changed as the difference in fidelity was nothing short of amazing. This was with Lab, with Crown there's not even a contest.

Hi.

Hopefully you will understand what I am about to say for it appears you are having difficulty understanding what I mentioned in the previous thread. Your work consists of club installs with treated rooms, proper cooling and (hopefully) stable voltage. I do events in which my gear will to be faced with the rigors of the road. We are two different elements in the world of Professional Audio. A controlled environment is not going to tell me how well the amplifier performs under worst-case scenarios.

I am happy to hear Thrive Amplifiers meets your requirements. However, upon my own research they do not meet mine based on lack of power and, no technical papers (Owners Manual PDF, Service Manual PDF, or Schematics) for all to see. The Thrive Amplifier could possibly be a great amplifier. However it does not meet my requirements.

From a Salesmanís point of view it offers all the qualifications (huge marketing hype, lack of technical specs and, directed to wards the majority who are not technically inclined) as a boutique amplifier. It may be a large amplifier under club standards, however the standard for those who are moving about with large systems today, 10,000+ watts is the common trait.

I believe we have gone through this already in another thread, which I assumed I covered thoroughly from different sides of the spectrum. It is precisely the reason I commented on the Crown I Tech series and, did not mention anything pertaining to Thrive Amplifiers.

I congratulate you for finally finding the amplifier(s) that met your requirements. I will pursue what meets my requirements. That is 10,000+ (or higher) watt amplifiers (which will give me a minimum of +3 dB in terms of headroom from my current Crown 5000vz amplifiers) from a manufacture that market their products for my line of work.

Best Regards,
Old 06-29-2010, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Hi.

Hopefully you will understand what I am about to say for it appears you are having difficulty understanding what I mentioned in the previous thread. Your work consists of club installs with treated rooms, proper cooling and (hopefully) stable voltage. I do events in which my gear will to be faced with the rigors of the road. We are two different elements in the world of Professional Audio. A controlled environment is not going to tell me how well the amplifier performs under worst-case scenarios.

I am happy to hear Thrive Amplifiers meets your requirements. However, upon my own research they do not meet mine based on lack of power and, no technical papers (Owners Manual PDF, Service Manual PDF, or Schematics) for all to see. The Thrive Amplifier could possibly be a great amplifier. However it does not meet my requirements.

From a Salesman’s point of view it offers all the qualifications (huge marketing hype, lack of technical specs and, directed to wards the majority who are not technically inclined) as a boutique amplifier. It may be a large amplifier under club standards, however the standard for those who are moving about with large systems today, 10,000+ watts is the common trait.

I believe we have gone through this already in another thread, which I assumed I covered thoroughly from different sides of the spectrum. It is precisely the reason I commented on the Crown I Tech series and, did not mention anything pertaining to Thrive Amplifiers.

I congratulate you for finally finding the amplifier(s) that met your requirements. I will pursue what meets my requirements. That is 10,000+ (or higher) watt amplifiers (which will give me a minimum of +3 dB in terms of headroom from my current Crown 5000vz amplifiers) from a manufacture that market their products for my line of work.

Best Regards,

Yes you are correct, Thrive is the epitome of audiophile amplification. Built like the amps from yesteryear yet updated to today's specifications. The question above was regarding real world A/B comparison of one of the most reputable amps in the biz, and the Thrive line kills it plain and simple.

The amps are built like brick tanks beyond any brand you have mentioned. The cooling on them is literally of military grade. My Crowns have to be cleaned every 6 months or so or they'll die. You open a Thrive and a year later there's nothing even inside, they're spotless. Built like a tank, the best fidelity available, and manufactured by one of the most reputable companies in pro audio. I guess you're right in one area, they're heavy, but for me, that's not an issue.

The difference here is I've worked with your said brand, you have not worked with my said brand. And quite frankly, there is no comparison.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Yes you are correct, Thrive is the epitome of audiophile amplification. Built like the amps from yesteryear yet updated to today's specifications. The question above was regarding real world A/B comparison of one of the most reputable amps in the biz, and the Thrive line kills it plain and simple.

The amps are built like brick tanks beyond any brand you have mentioned. The cooling on them is literally of military grade. My Crowns have to be cleaned every 6 months or so or they'll die. You open a Thrive and a year later there's nothing even inside, they're spotless. Built like a tank, the best fidelity available, and manufactured by one of the most reputable companies in pro audio. I guess you're right in one area, they're heavy, but for me, that's not an issue.

The difference here is I've worked with your said brand, you have not worked with my said brand. And quite frankly, there is no comparison.

Save me the sales pitch mate!

I have decades of experience selling audio.

Best Regards,
Old 06-29-2010, 11:09 PM

.....Ohms Law Calculator......

..........just thought this would be a useful tool to add to the thread and for future use........

http://www.the12volt.com/ohm/page2.asp

.................................................. .................................................. .......
Old 06-29-2010, 11:10 PM

Guess you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Quote:
Save me the sales pitch mate!

I have decades of experience selling audio.

Best Regards,
Old 06-30-2010, 12:20 AM

Send a message via AIM to charles0322
I think if the product literature was there we would have more faith in the line. Boutique club systems by Shorty have the goods I know first hand, the amps have the balls and the equipment is good.. maybe not the digital balls of an i-tech in terms of raw "power", but I wanna hear the warmth of an amp and I don't give a crap about less than perfect scenarios, it needs to be better than good everytime. I could care less about blowing peoples ears off with "loud" sound that is just crap, i-techs for some things sure, demanding power hungry bass applications, but you know what, if I can get around it.. I'd buy something analogue thank you very much. And as good as D/A gets and even though the source is Digital, there is something to be said about that analogue punch.

just show me the manuals, proper product photography.. marketing. word of mouth is great, the products do speak for themselves as well.. but if you ain't showing us pics and we aint seeing third party tested analysis and reviews. How much does one cost, what is the lead time..

'the trust me its the best approach' is very yawn these days especially when the thread title says aplifier??

Quote:

Old 06-30-2010, 06:21 PM

Charles, I love ya, but the reality is quite frankly I could care less what Elliot, you or anyone that wants to trash me thinks. I don't represent Thrive or Summit Audio yet for some reason everyone keeps making the inference that I do. I'm VERY happy using their products and my clients are very happy with their products as well. The fact that I'm one of the few people using Thrive only gives me an edge against competitors that have too much pride to get over themselves and try something that is simply a superior product.

Raw power? I-Techs are a bunch of nonsense. 8000 watts out of a 20A/120V outlet as they claim? As someone said the other day: "I need to buy some I-Techs for my house so I can triple the power coming out of my outlet, it's like cold fusion lol". Do your ohm's law and tell me how you get 8000 watts out of a 20A/120V outlet.

Marketing hype? Uhh, if this isn't the pot calling the kettle black. Thrive gives real world numbers and Crown comes up with all this creative ratings to give you ridiculous power output. A "lol" is in order for that claim...I'm sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles0322
I think if the product literature was there we would have more faith in the line. Boutique club systems by Shorty have the goods I know first hand, the amps have the balls and the equipment is good.. maybe not the digital balls of an i-tech in terms of raw "power", but I wanna hear the warmth of an amp and I don't give a crap about less than perfect scenarios, it needs to be better than good everytime. I could care less about blowing peoples ears off with "loud" sound that is just crap, i-techs for some things sure, demanding power hungry bass applications, but you know what, if I can get around it.. I'd buy something analogue thank you very much. And as good as D/A gets and even though the source is Digital, there is something to be said about that analogue punch.

just show me the manuals, proper product photography.. marketing. word of mouth is great, the products do speak for themselves as well.. but if you ain't showing us pics and we aint seeing third party tested analysis and reviews. How much does one cost, what is the lead time..

'the trust me its the best approach' is very yawn these days especially when the thread title says aplifier??
Old 06-30-2010, 11:34 PM

Talking

Quote:
Guess you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Especially when they are so caught up in their own sales pitch that they believe what they are saying would hold any significance to a person with technical experience in professional audio.

Best Regards,
Old 07-01-2010, 12:18 AM

Wise words you might want to consider yourself.

Quote:
Especially when they are so caught up in their own sales pitch that they believe what they are saying would hold any significance to a person with technical experience in professional audio.

Best Regards,
Old 07-01-2010, 12:26 AM

Old 07-01-2010, 11:51 AM

Gentlemen, let's keep it on topic.

My SoundCloud
Old 07-01-2010, 12:58 PM

I dont think

there is any reason for this to get personal, Adam loves the product and expresses how he likes the product line, Just like how many of our clients like the product line globally using them in a wide range of applications, from pro apps in clubs under very heavy use without failure with incredible clarity, to Recording studios for monitor systems for mix downs, & we have clients that use these amps on their home Audiophile systems that love the way they sound and have compared them to very well respected audiophile amplifiers, then made the switch to Thrive because they heard the amps and liked the way they sounded better on there speakers then the brand X they had previously powering there speakers.

Adam has used our amps and compared them to other products on a site he did a system for in a real world situation installed 3 yrs ago, and the product has never failed. He also compared the Thrive amps in a AB test against what is considered today as very high quality amplification & technology @ a major speaker manufacturers facility on there speakers, and expresses how he likes the Thrive line over other brand he compared them to at this facility, this comparison AB testing was done with the engineers that designed the speaker line in there listening room under critical listening conditions where they test all there speakers, and the engineers were astounded by the comparison. Soon after this demo the VP of the manufacturer called me to tell me his thoughts on the amp, as he was blown away and said all this time we thought this other amp was very high quality and the Thrive exposed its flaws.

Just as Nathan has expressed his thoughts and opinions on our amps to other products, there is no sales pitch there, it is just there take on what they like & heard and prefer to use over brand x, just as you expressed what you have liked in the past from 1 product to another that I have read and valued your opinion, is that a sales pitch No, but is it your opinion on what you like & need ? Yes.

Jus my 2 cents

Last edited by soundmanshorty : 07-01-2010 at 03:56 PM.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:51 PM

It is unfortunate that it has turn into this.

Let me state for the record that this has nothing to do with the Thrive amplifier, which is why I stated, and I quote:

Quote:

In addition to:

Quote:

The problem arrives from not reading what I stated properly, quoting what I stated and pursue marketing an amplifier, taking pot shots on the Crown I Tech 8000 and paying no mind that the Thrive amplifier does not meet my requirements from a wattage perspective.

Why atf104 would take it upon himself to quote me after I stated the amplifier is not powerful enough for my requirements with more praises on how it is “built like a tank” only he can answer. I can assure you if this was a means of helping a fellow sound man it was not and, those who are familiar with me knows 99% of my post on audio message boards are based on answering technical questions.

It appears a few a becoming at tad upset based on me not finding the Thrive amplifier suitable for my requirements without paying attention to what I stated in regards to the minimum output wattage needed for my requirements.

That is my bottom line, which the Thrive amplifier cannot provide.

Again for those who are content with what the Thrive Amplifier offers in terms of output power, congratulations. As for myself it is not enough power, which anyone can “do the math” using the ohms law calculator that Vman has graciously offered to see how much a difference there is between a 2200 watt amplifier to a 10,000 watt (my minimum requirements) amplifier from an output voltage perspective.

http://www.the12volt.com/ohm/page2.asp

There also seems to be some false assumptions on the Crown I tech 8000 (although I am not looking to purchase that amplifier) in terms of power consumption. Could someone show me where Crown states the I-tech 8000 can/will offer 8000 watts drawing only 20 amperes on a 120-volt line source?

http://www.crownaudio.com/pdf/amps/137435.pdf

I really don’t have time for overly emotional individuals when they assume not pursuing an amplifier they recommended offensive, when they do not take the time to read exactly what the person is looking for. Such behaviour is too childish for this 30-year old.

Any adult can clearly understand that the recommended amplifier will not be up to the task (based on Nathan’s wattage bench test report) from a dB standpoint based on the required watts needed to offer +3 dB (minimum) headroom in terms or output from the Crown 5000vz.

Best Regards,

Last edited by Elliot Thompson : 07-01-2010 at 09:15 PM.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:02 PM

Come on guys, we all know where this conversation ends up. Thread's Locked. Anyone with technical specs to add PM me to open it up again.

My SoundCloud
Old 10-12-2010, 05:07 PM

Thx for unlocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Martin
Thread's Locked. Anyone with technical specs to add PM me to open it up again.

the Thread John

all the info for our line is in our new site for all that wanna check them out http://thrivesound.com/index.html

Last edited by soundmanshorty : 10-13-2010 at 01:00 AM.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:42 PM