About Us
Labels
Distributed Labels
Links

Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads > Sound Installers and Manufacturers

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-16-2011, 03:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to atf104
New Stack Concept

I've been working on a new dance stack concept for a new venue I've been getting together in Philadelphia.

I'm pretty excited as this stack will have some really interesting components, including:

- Prototype Quad 18" horn-loaded sub cabinet with exponential flare extension.
- Prototype straight-horn, 15" mid-bass cabinets developed by the very talented Bruce Howze over at Community.
- 2 Community SLS960 horn-loaded top cabinets.
- 2 Beyma supertweeters

I've had the pleasure of working with the folks at Community Loudspeakers intimately for the last few years, and they make what I think is one of the best sounding top cabinets out there. Bruce Howze has been designing horn-loaded cabinets since the 70's, so for me, it was really exciting to be working with someone who's a true speaker design engineer on this new mid-bass cabinet design.

We're doing some listening tests in the next few weeks. I'll post the results when it happens. If all goes well with the product, it will possibly be added to their product line in the future for everyone to be able to purchase.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:35 PM

sweet, looks like fun Adam!

happy late birthday!
Old 02-16-2011, 07:12 PM

from the pics the sub looks like 4 horns coupled. is it 1 sub or 4 with an extension?
4x18? must be a heavy beast.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:16 PM

........good stuff!!........been a fan of community for a long time..........the old school RS880's are great sounding boxes.......

.....did you get a chance to listen to the SLS980's??...........

......good luck with the project!!.............
Old 02-17-2011, 02:21 PM

On one of my systems I changed the Beyma CP's with great effort to BMS 4524 on a Limmer 021.
I know we all luv the tsss from the JBL/Beyma tweeter but you should try the BMS. I had a A/B test and the BMS was clearly the winner.
And the price is nice, so give it a try, come on do it.

Klick!
Old 02-17-2011, 03:48 PM

The sub is 4-18's in 1 cabinet, the front view shows the supports from that angle.

I've used the SLS960's (which have the same HF as the SLS920's and 980's) on my last install and thought about having them make me SLS980's for this job with the double 18" mid-bass, but wanted a more straight-forward, separate, mid-bass cabinet. Also, there are a lot of mid-bass cabinet designs out there of various types going back to the altec designs, but this was the opportunity to use something completely new and designed by a speaker manufacturer with full-on engineering and testing resources, so that alone was worth it over just doing SLS980's.

What's funny is the SLS cabinets were designed over 20 years ago, for some reason I find that appealing.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:45 PM

i bet that stack could easily give the new mos stack a run for its money

nice work man i bet it will be a crazy big sounding stack
Old 02-17-2011, 06:46 PM

I'm also going to be in some new territory on the electronics. I'll be using all Thrive amplification as before, but instead of just straight up BSS processing, I'll be using high-end studio DAC's and ADC's on the input/output stages of the BSS London boxes. I had thought about Lake, but I kinda backed away since they got bought by Lab and they're down to a single 2x6 device.

I've been really impressed with the BSS London fidelity and taking that to the next level with the studio DAC's and ADC's should be really interesting, especially running at 96kHz.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:54 PM

Got a chance to demo the new combo I'm using for this upcoming project at the Community loudspeaker manufacturing facility.

We put together the Community SLS960 with my subwoofer and the new proprietary Community mid-bass cabinet. The straight-horn cabinet has 4 light-weight 15's in a straight-horn design. The combo with run of the mill Crest amplification and biamp dsp sounded really nice. The mid-bass cabinet is unlike anything else out there and is truly unique. The combination of drivers and design makes for some unbelievably "snappy" mid-bass response with excellent fidelity and clarity.

I'll have some more updated information soon.

Last edited by atf104 : 02-28-2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:18 PM

kinda reminiscent of the "exemplar" A7 variant, IMO...
but w/ no curves, etc...

too cool....