About Us
Labels
Distributed Labels
Links

Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads > Sound Installers and Manufacturers

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-24-2010, 08:03 AM

Ultra Music Festival 2010

So, who's coming down here to Miami?
Old 03-24-2010, 11:08 AM

I can't...
are you doing your bassmaxx rig this year? anything new?
Old 03-24-2010, 11:48 AM

I live down here. Where are you going to be at?
Old 03-25-2010, 12:08 AM

I'm doing subs, amps & monitors on two stages, BASSMAXX is providing their new triple 12
tops. I have 12 Z5000 subs now and enough QSC PL9.0's for all of them.

I'll have stage names and a picture or two up tomorrow.

Last edited by pbellsound : 03-28-2010 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbellsound
I'm doing subs, amps & monitors on two stages, BASSMAXX is providing their new triple 12 tops. I have 12 Z5000 subs now and enough QSC PL9.0's for all of them.

I'll have stage names and a picture or two up tomorrow.

If you are still toting those 9.0's I take it tyou do not fancy the PL 380 much.

Best Regards,
Old 03-25-2010, 09:58 PM

Good catch Elliot!

While I do like the PL380 and it gets raves in the pro audio community, I wanted to
keep one type of amp across the board for my subs. I would've had to sell off the
9.0's and buy up to the 380's.

Last edited by pbellsound : 03-28-2010 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:44 AM

PBell Sound provided sound systems for two full stages and monitoring for one more.
While I used my McCauley stuff for monitors, the subs are all Bassmaxx and tops provided
by Bassmaxx which are their new triple twelve three way box. Bassmaxx and other Bassmaxx
gear owners provided a full system for the “UMF Bubble”, main stage subs and side fill subs and tops.

There's lots of video & lighting.

24 X Bassmaxx SP218 DUB-ILL subs

Bassmaxx BZERO-B subs with line arrays

D&B: 16 X J12 and 12 X J-Sub per side

My stage showing the new Bassmaxx triple 12 mid/high

Got power?

Bassmaxx Z5000 subs with smaller bassmaxx line array

Bassmaxx line array, Deuce and SP218 subs

Search on youtube for "sonic forest". Way cool!

Last edited by pbellsound : 03-28-2010 at 11:01 AM.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to dino59
got here last night at 10 pm all the rooms were booked and at two in the morning a had to crash out at a friends rooms he had five people in there all ready good times im in Miami bitch
Old 03-27-2010, 02:00 AM

just got home from Ultra quiet a experience my son loved it and thats what matters Paul hooked us up good once again thank you will post some pics up dont have camera conn
Old 03-27-2010, 09:09 AM

AHH, the club kidz. One of these days, I'm gonna take one (or two) of them home with me...
Old 03-27-2010, 11:36 AM

Paul, those club kidz are hard to keep up with! Ahh Miami, the land of perpetual youth and super stamina.

Looks like you guys had a super duper show. Nice work.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:58 AM

This is such a cool and interesting event. With so many different stages, it’s like eight concerts rolled into one.
I don’t think you’ll find this diversity of sound gear in use at the same time any where else. There were two
stages with DAS, three with full Bassmaxx systems as well as subs on two more, a D&B line array, Function One
rig, L-Acoustics on the main stage as monitors, my McCauley stuff in a few spots and one small powered JBL rig.

I met the owners & engineers from Studio R, a Brazilian amplifier company. This is the stuff to watch boys.

The stage I stationed myself on was a mess of DJ’s coming and going, some with their own needs. It was hectic
but we got it on pretty good. My guy Matt had to dodge the flying paint in the Day Glow tent.

I met up with George from Integral as I was transporting some stuff for him. They had some pretty healthy
parties going on for Winter Music Conference.

Ultra Music Festival was a complete sell out at 50,000 peeps each of the two days. It was announced that next
year it’ll be a three day event.

Despite the hard work and long drive, we had a good time and met some new and interesting people. We’re
looking forward to doing it again. Are you ready Dino?

Last edited by pbellsound : 03-28-2010 at 11:00 AM.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:45 AM

i wasnt ready for the first one let alone another the place was super packed sound from everywhere ,I did manage to just walk in the VIP area and found a empty couch on a hill overlooking the main stage thats was cool.all in all i say the kids were having fun ,my son loved it and he lucked out cause he didnt have a ticket and he got to go anyway
Old 03-29-2010, 11:07 PM

Quote:
I met the owners & engineers from Studio R, a Brazilian amplifier company. This is the stuff to watch boys.

I've been watching Studio R ever since some one in Germany suggested I should explore them in 2006.

What is the status with the company?

How does the X 12 compare to the PL 9.0?

Best Regards,
Old 03-30-2010, 11:45 AM

Send a message via AIM to atf104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Thompson
I've been watching Studio R ever since some one in Germany suggested I should explore them in 2006.

What is the status with the company?

How does the X 12 compare to the PL 9.0?

Best Regards,

I heard someone talk about Studio R last year, it's on par with Lab Gruppen. However after almost 3 years of continuous 5 day a week field testing with Thrive at my first venue in Philly, I've come to the conclusion there really is nothing in the world on par with Thrive. And I've A/B'd it against Lab stuff for fidelity which it left a room full of people amazed how much better it actually sounded then a Lab amp.

I'm doing two new larger venues in Philly this Fall with all Thrive. It truly is the best on Earth right now, you guys should give it a look. I mean it's Summit Audio, what else need be said.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:32 PM

I’d think the X8 is a better match for the PL9.0. The X12 has more power and is 220 volt only.
It’s less weight and cost.

Until Ultra, I hadn’t heard or even seen a Studio R amp. Bassmaxx deployed a bunch of X12's
on the SP218 subs on the main stage and in the bubble. They performed as advertised and
sounded pretty good.

From what I understand, Studio R amps are designed to have a longer duration duty cycle,
much like what’s used in Meyer’s self powered speakers.

How they might compare to Thrive is unknown. What I do know is Studio R has full specifications
available and their products are readily available at reasonable cost.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atf104
I heard someone talk about Studio R last year, it's on par with Lab Gruppen. However after almost 3 years of continuous 5 day a week field testing with Thrive at my first venue in Philly, I've come to the conclusion there really is nothing in the world on par with Thrive. And I've A/B'd it against Lab stuff for fidelity which it left a room full of people amazed how much better it actually sounded then a Lab amp.

I'm doing two new larger venues in Philly this Fall with all Thrive. It truly is the best on Earth right now, you guys should give it a look. I mean it's Summit Audio, what else need be said.

Thanks for your input.

I highly doubt Thrive Audio(?) offers amplifiers that are larger than what I am currently using (Crown MA 5000vz/QSC PL 6.0) based on a few photos I've seen posted on wave music.

However, I am willing to give them the benefit of doubt so, if you have a PDF manual on their largest amplifier and/or a website, I will explore their features.

Best Regards,
Old 03-30-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
I’d think the X8 is a better match for the PL9.0. The X12 has more power and is 220 volt only.
It’s less weight and cost.

Until Ultra, I hadn’t heard or even seen a Studio R amp. Bassmaxx deployed a bunch of X12's
on the SP218 subs on the main stage and in the bubble. They performed as advertised and
sounded pretty good.

From what I understand, Studio R amps are designed to have a longer duration duty cycle,
much like what’s used in Meyer’s self powered speakers.

How they might compare to Thrive is unknown. What I do know is Studio R has full specifications
available and their products are readily available at reasonable cost.

Thanks Paul.

I keep my 5000vz's configured to 240 so, I don't mind the 220-volt requirements.

The reason I asked about the X12 instead of the X8 is due to the new measuring standards many companies are using (burst ratings) and, was curious if the X 12 was on par with the PL 9.0 which are measured using continuous average power or followed the new ratings which is common Lab Gruppen FP 13000 & Powersoft K 10.

Best Regards,
Old 03-30-2010, 10:28 PM

Well, I will say this:

Late last summer, David Lee and I did a little sub demo for a client in Brooklyn. All testing
was done on a PL9.0. When we moved to the SP218 DUB-ILL, we switched to a Lab Grupin
13000. While it did go a bit louder than the 9.0, it sounded pretty bad at speed. No control, sloppy, etc.

The SP218 is a pretty high powered box. Dave has tested it with a PL6.0 bridged all out into one cabinet
without any issues. It has the Faital XL18 drivers in it.

I stuffed a pair of them into my truck in Miami so I have some for demo use here in NYC.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:43 AM

were they gifts ?
Old 03-31-2010, 08:06 AM

By now, I think Dave is scratching his head as to how many he brought to UMF vs. how many he
returned to Texas with. Along with a QSC PL6.0 amp. hee-hee-hee....

Last edited by pbellsound : 03-31-2010 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
By now, I think Dave is scratching his head as to how many he brought to UMF vs. how many he
returned to Texas with. Along with a QSC PL6.0 amp. hee-hee-hee....

Where are they based? I know I've seen a couple of places with Bassmaxx subs here in Houston.

My SoundCloud
Old 03-31-2010, 08:43 PM

As Bassmaxx is a manufacturer, they have no store front or retail operation per say. They are based out of
Garland. They’ve done a few installations in Houston and Dallas as well as other areas of Texas.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:39 AM

Send a message via AIM to atf104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Thompson
Thanks for your input.

I highly doubt Thrive Audio(?) offers amplifiers that are larger than what I am currently using (Crown MA 5000vz/QSC PL 6.0) based on a few photos I've seen posted on wave music.

However, I am willing to give them the benefit of doubt so, if you have a PDF manual on their largest amplifier and/or a website, I will explore their features.

Best Regards,

I am not a Thrive dealer, but if you call Eric @ Summit Audio I'm sure he will be glad to help you out. All of their amps are readily available, prices are reasonable and technical specifications are available.

So let me ask you a question, if tomorrow Richard Long came back to life and created a new product, would you ask him to validate his products with in-depth specifications or trust his background and knowledge to create a great product? You guys are trying to question a company that only makes some of the finest equipment in the world. I'm not saying Studio R is a bad amp but why would I want to order an amp from some foreign country by a brand I know only through 3rd person word of mouth when I can order an American made product built by one of the most reputable brands in the biz? That's just me.. what can I say.

Regarding the MA5000 or 3600 for that matter. I can comfortably say the top two amps from Thrive will have no problem keeping up with your MT's or QSC's.

I'm just curious who did the main state at Ultra?
Old 04-01-2010, 09:16 AM

The D&B line array, L-Acoustic monitoring, consoles, etc was done by Beach Sound.

The main subs and audience side fills were by Bassmaxx.