Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-28-2013, 09:40 AM

Looks more decent than my work!
Old 04-02-2013, 03:22 PM

That's very kind of you Bossa Nolyx.

Got the knobs, faceplate should arrive any day now:

Wait, what if the Bozure Isolator was on the same front panel? *gears turning*

Last edited by rs_ : 04-02-2013 at 03:25 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:50 PM

Might end up with extra faceplate. All that empty space is begging to be used...

rs
Old 04-06-2013, 04:10 PM

Ever since I saw Bossa's rework of the Rane MP24, I always put it in the back of my mind to do something like that. The addition of an isolator would be wild.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:17 PM

I wonder if you really will find enough space for an additional isolator...

It's very tight in these mixers.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:07 PM

The solution I'm pursuing is to use the Bozure Isolator board -- I have one on order now:

http://bozure.com/T1.aspx?PID=127

The Bozure ISO-1 runs on 18v, and this version of the Rane quite conveniently has 18v rails and a beefy internal supply. There is plenty of space for all 8 Blue Velvets once the channel faders, crossfader, and CF switch are gone (as they are in mine), but I'll probably have to put the isolator board itself in its own chassis.

My Rane was bought broken with no top and bottom panels, so I'm having to come up with a chassis solution anyway. That turns out to be an advantage for this particular application.

rs
Old 04-08-2013, 04:52 AM

Hm...

I'm a bit confused. What about the channel PCBs? Do you plan to remove them or how do you want to get enough space in this part of the mixer?
Old 04-08-2013, 02:31 PM

I will have a clearance issue with the Low and High knobs...thanks for pointing that out. There is a solution: there is about 25mm of unused PCB on the front of the Ch.1 and Ch.4 vertical boards. This area was originally mechanical support for the channel faders. I can make a straight cut with a hacksaw on each of these boards to make room for those two Isolator knobs.

On the Isolator version (I'm using this faceplate as a testbed to make some tiny refinements, it will never be gigged) I'm going to move the Channel knobs down maybe an inch, which is the amount of spare space I have before hitting the bottom board.

To clarify, the Isolator circuitry will be in a chassis above the MP24. The knobs will be tethered to that Isolator circuitry. That fits my specific needs in this case but might not fit the needs of others.

rs
Old 04-08-2013, 02:39 PM

looking good.... Great Project!

the Mistick Krewe account is temp. disabled,

forgive the ressurection of DSA.audio please...
Old 04-08-2013, 05:06 PM

Wink

Thanks...the old adage "everything takes twice as long as you think it will" certainly applies here.... rs
Old 04-09-2013, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs_
To clarify, the Isolator circuitry will be in a chassis above the MP24. The knobs will be tethered to that Isolator circuitry. That fits my specific needs in this case but might not fit the needs of others.

rs
Ah ok, now I understand.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:27 PM

Final (Hopefully!) iteration of Front Panel on the way. I was realistic enough to expect to throw away one given the amount of mods, but two would be too much.

1) Switched to Anodized finish. The Powder Coating seems a little scuff-prone, not to mention that some of the tighter tolerances are affected by the thickness of the powder coat.

2) The Blue color was a bit controversial, but in real life it looks more like a Pultec than the garish way it shows up on the mockup:

3) Life is too short to put LED meters on gear. I'm using the Hairball Audio VU meter that I've used on a PTP LA-2A and on a kit-based pair of 1176's. Should work with minimal circuitry tweaking.

4) My unit was bought from a scrap heap missing top and bottom chassis panels. My wife is going to make a combination wooden frame/stand for it, with a little extra space on top for the Bozure ISO-1 PCB. Should be an attractive and elegant solution.

rs

Last edited by rs_ : 04-10-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:33 PM

The multiple font colour text is a little distracting, it would be good from an aesthetic point of view to have two at most. Maybe save the 3rd for the name only.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:42 PM

Richi, thanks for the input. I went back-and-forth on this subject, believe me...

I spent a few hours mixing on the prototype to settle on this layout. The black is for "utility items" and the white is for "main items", and this combined with the knob colors works pretty well to differentiate between the main sections and the "utility" sections. Since I'm not using line art on the faceplate, this is effective as a visual guide.

As far as the orange text color, it was not chosen lightly, and it is only used in two places: on the Isolator On (formerly FX Loop) switch and on the Frequency legend for the Isolator. My aim is to provide visual continuity between the Isolator Switch and the Isolator Section, since it is not necessarily intuitive that they are connected because of the distance apart. In a perfect world I could have moved the switch closer but that's beyond the scope of this mod.

Absolute worst case I can repaint some of the text...

rs

Last edited by rs_ : 04-10-2013 at 07:57 PM.