About Us
Labels
Distributed Labels
Links

Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads > Sound Installers and Manufacturers

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-25-2009, 01:54 AM

High End System For Home, SBS Teak Wood Console

I`m currently doing a HIFI system for a home and we designed a classic SBS console in TEAK wood.The entire console and legs is constructed with glue only. My client did not want to see any staple, nail or screw holes filled and sanded, he wanted it in a natural state with no punctures with beefy looking legs. At the bottom of the Reel to Reel section is a 2 RU space for a HHB CD Burner

The console will hold 2 turntables, 2 cdj players, Technics RS 1500 reel to reel, with a Thrive Isolator & 1620 mixer @ his request, In the future he is getting the Thrive Audio Bender program EQ to improve the playback of the system with eq capability per song. We are using Lavry Black dacs, and 3 Mark Levinson No. 331 amps. I will be Modifying Marchand xovers for the control over the system

We are trying different speakers before he decides on what he will use permenantly, at the moment he has Original jbl 4520s with 2225 drivers and TAD TH 4001 wood horns with JBL 2240 drivers. He is has not been happy at all with the speakers in the past with a few different amps & He recently purchased the Thrive Isolator and cant believe the improvements it made on the system but is still unhappy with the limitations this system has.

We will be trying Ausberger tops in Mohagany and Ausbergers subs in black he will most likely decide that these will replace the old JBL set up. The Ausbergers are TAD loaded, 2 TL 1603 for subbass 1 per cabinet, 4 TAD TL1603s for main Bass 2 per cabinet, 1 TAD TD 4001 on a TAD TH 4001 wood Horn. I will be building him mirror image Mohagany cabinets for 2 TAD ET 703 tweeters 1 per side, top end amp is most likely Levinson knowing my clients taste.

I will have better pics when this is installed in his home. Here are some ruff photos

www.systemsbyshorty.com

http://www.facebook.com/people/Sbs-Shorty/1851472355

www.myspace.com/soundmanshorty
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	2558  Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	2559  Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	2560  Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	2561  Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	763
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	2562  

Last edited by soundmanshorty : 10-25-2009 at 10:32 AM.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:49 AM
Monkey Mouse

Very nice work - going to look killer once you finish it. I hope whoever is getting it has a very large doorway as it looks to be about 7 feet long and probably 4 feet deep
Old 10-28-2009, 10:58 AM

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Mouse
Very nice work - going to look killer once you finish it. I hope whoever is getting it has a very large doorway as it looks to be about 7 feet long and probably 4 feet deep

Getting it thru a door will not be a problem. Its not as long as it looks, the reel to reel section is bolted on and comes off. When this is complete and loaded up it should look Stellar, esp if he purchases the TAD Loaded Ausberger monitors in Mohogany with Mark Levinson amps & Thrive Audio Processing should be amazing.

A Teak wood console with Mohagany speakers should really be Gorgeous.

Ill post the pics when its completed

Last edited by soundmanshorty : 10-28-2009 at 11:09 AM.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:40 AM

here are some finished

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundmanshorty
I`m currently doing a HIFI system for a home and we designed a classic SBS console in TEAK wood.The entire console and legs is constructed with glue only. My client did not want to see any staple, nail or screw holes filled and sanded, he wanted it in a natural state with no punctures with beefy looking legs. At the bottom of the Reel to Reel section is a 2 RU space for a HHB CD Burner

The console will hold 2 turntables, 2 cdj players, Technics RS 1500 reel to reel, with a Thrive Isolator & 1620 mixer @ his request, In the future he is getting the Thrive Audio Bender program EQ to improve the playback of the system with eq capability per song. We are using Lavry Black dacs, and 3 Mark Levinson No. 331 amps. I will be Modifying Marchand xovers for the control over the system

We are trying different speakers before he decides on what he will use permenantly, at the moment he has Original jbl 4520s with 2225 drivers and TAD TH 4001 wood horns with JBL 2240 drivers. He is has not been happy at all with the speakers in the past with a few different amps & He recently purchased the Thrive Isolator and cant believe the improvements it made on the system but is still unhappy with the limitations this system has.

We will be trying Ausberger tops in Mohagany and Ausbergers subs in black he will most likely decide that these will replace the old JBL set up. The Ausbergers are TAD loaded, 2 TL 1603 for subbass 1 per cabinet, 4 TAD TL1603s for main Bass 2 per cabinet, 1 TAD TD 4001 on a TAD TH 4001 wood Horn. I will be building him mirror image Mohagany cabinets for 2 TAD ET 703 tweeters 1 per side, top end amp is most likely Levinson knowing my clients taste.

I will have better pics when this is installed in his home. Here are some ruff photos

www.systemsbyshorty.com

pics of the console, the system still has to be wired up, and more gear will be added and installed in the SBS Elegance series console.

Ill have to post pics on 3 replies cause of the amount i took today. Ill add a gear list in the pics as well so people can see what is being used in this SBS Audiophile system. Hope you enjoy them.

pic 1, SBS custom crate
pic 2, top off crate and SBS console shown
pic 3, SBS Elegance Series Teak wood console
pic 4, side shot of console
pic 5, Light speed high end conditioner,
modified Audio technology meter,
Thrive Audio Isolator,
Orig Bozak Mixer

www.systemsbyshorty.com

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	2588  Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	2589  Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	2590  Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	2591  Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	2592  

Last edited by soundmanshorty : 11-12-2009 at 02:55 AM.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:46 AM

some more shots

Quote:
pics of the console, the system still has to be wored up, and more gear added and installed in the SBS Elegance series console.

Ill have to post pics on 3 replies cause of the amount i took today. Ill add a gear list in the pics as well so people can see what is being used in this SBS Audiophile system. Hope you enjoy them.

pic 1, SBS custom crate
Thrive Audio Isolator,
Orig Bozak Mixer

www.systemsbyshorty.com

pic 1, One of 3- Mark Levinson No. 331 Class A amp
pic 2, Technics rs 1700 Reel to Reel
pic 3, Side shot of SBS Elegance Console half loaded up, more gear to load
pic 4, Rear of Console
pic 5, Rear and Corner of SBS Elegance Console
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	2593  Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	2594  Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	2595  Click image for larger version

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	2596  Click image for larger version

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	2597  

Old 11-12-2009, 02:54 AM

Last few for now

Quote:
pics of the console, the system still has to be wored up, and more gear added and installed in the SBS Elegance series console.

pic 1, SBS custom crate
Thrive Audio Isolator,
Orig Bozak Mixer

www.systemsbyshorty.com

Until the system is complete.

I have to build custom Teak SBS racks, change the JBL 2226 woofers, JBL 2441 comp drivers & JBL 2405 tweeters to TAD TL 1603 woofer, TAD TD 4002 comp drivers & TAD ET 703s.

We are upgrading to better product because my client is not happy with the way any of this product sounds at the moment. He is looking for a more resolving hifi sound to work properly and have better synergy with the Levinson amps

Pic 1, Side shot of SBS console, shows,

Light speed high end conditioner,
Modified Audio technology meter,
Thrive Audio Isolator,
Orig Bozak Mixer
Pioneer cdj 1000 mk3
Lavry DA 11 Dac
Technics RS 1700 Reel to Reel. The area at front of the Reel section at the bottom, has a 2 RU opening for a CD Burner to
be mounted.

Pic 2, JBL 2405 Tweeter,
TAD TH 4001 wood Horn,
Orig JBL 4520 2226 Loaded

Pic 3, Side shot of SBS Elegance console in Teak wood, Built to match the custom Teak wood Record Racks.

www.systemsbyshorty.com

some more pics can be seen at, http://www.facebook.com/people/Sbs-Shorty/1851472355 www.myspace.com/soundmanshorty
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	11.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	2598  Click image for larger version

Name:	21.jpg
Views:	711
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	2599  Click image for larger version

Name:	22.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	2600  

Last edited by soundmanshorty : 11-12-2009 at 03:17 AM.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:39 PM
Banned

Chang Lightspeed

How do you and your client like these? Very nice indeed. No current limiting. These are way better than the standard power conditioners. IMHO the only one slightly better is the ByBee power purifier AC conditioner.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:05 PM
Banned

Nice...

shots of the loaded console...kudos. The tweeter you are using, the TAD ET-703 aren't they discontinued? Besides used JBL tweeters, are there any slot or bullet tweeters that you recommend?
Old 11-12-2009, 08:20 PM

Yea these

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcellus
How do you and your client like these? Very nice indeed. No current limiting. These are way better than the standard power conditioners. IMHO the only one slightly better is the ByBee power purifier AC conditioner.

are IT, the standards that are typically used are in no way in the league of the Lightspeed from Japan, though this is not as good as the Main lightspeed unit we are using for the amps and digital products. We also have the large unit for the main system that is a ref series unit that is just un real when im back in the office ill post a pic of this unit.

Id have to try the Bybee unit and see how much or little better it is or isnt. These Lightspeed power units are just incredible, the large unit is about $1,000.00 ill be picking a few up cause i am redoing all my conditioners with the Lightspeed products in my home ref system. It will open up the imaging and sepration of my system and will run quieter.

I will try the Bybee and see what is better
Old 11-12-2009, 08:25 PM

Not true

Quote:
shots of the loaded console...kudos. The tweeter you are using, the TAD ET-703 aren't they discontinued? Besides used JBL tweeters, are there any slot or bullet tweeters that you recommend?

The ET 703 is not discontinued.

For home hifi sound on this level there is only 1 product to use imho and thats TAD, and why the jbl 2226, 2441 & 2405 product in this system will be sold off, so the system is up to proper standards for hifi audiophile playback and work properly with the 3 Levinson No. 331 amps.

i have ALOT of stock of 2402s and 2405s for the club systems i Design and sell. so that is not a problem for me.

There are a few tweeters i have demoed that sound nice, but they shall remain nameless at this time till i sell all my jbl products out of stock

Last edited by soundmanshorty : 11-13-2009 at 02:18 AM.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:36 PM

Quote:

For home hifi sound on this level there is only 1 product to use imho and thats TAD

so have you tried GOTO and ALE?
Old 11-12-2009, 09:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistick Krewe
so have you tried GOTO and ALE?
Never heard of GOTO, but I drink ALE! Just kidding Mistik, who/what are they/these?
Old 11-12-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Never heard of GOTO, but I drink ALE! Just kidding Mistik, who/what are they/these?

mmmm ale.....

supposedly the absolute best of the best available drivers...

ALE
ns.tachyon.co.jp/~sichoya2/ale/drivers.html

GOTO Unit
www.goto-unit.com
Old 11-12-2009, 09:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
are IT, the standards that are typically used are in no way in the league of the Lightspeed from Japan, though this is not as good as the Main lightspeed unit we are using for the amps and digital products. We also have the large unit for the main system that is a ref series unit that is just un real when im back in the office ill post a pic of this unit.

Id have to try the Bybee unit and see how much or little better it is or isnt. These Lightspeed power units are just incredible, the large unit is about $1,000.00 ill be picking a few up cause i am redoing all my conditioners with the Lightspeed products in my home ref system. It will open up the imaging and sepration of my system and will run quieter.

I will try the Bybee and see what is better

Shorty, the ByBee Master REF unit is right at $10grand and IMHO not worth the extra cabbage for minute differences. Although when they were demoing it out in Colorado, the system with the ByBee unit was producing the deepest bass, but the overall system clarity from highs, mids, and bass(punchy ass fuck...Tight Bass) was with the Lightspeed unit.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistick Krewe
mmmm ale.....

supposedly the absolute best of the best available drivers...

ALE
ns.tachyon.co.jp/~sichoya2/ale/drivers.html

GOTO Unit
www.goto-unit.com
Thanks! I'll check these out. Now off to sip some ALE!
Old 11-12-2009, 09:59 PM
Banned

Quote:

For home hifi sound on this level there is only 1 product to use imho and thats TAD, and why the jbl 2226, 2441 & 2405 product in this system will be sold off, so the system is up to proper standards for hifi audiophile playback and work properly with the 3 Levinson No. 331 amps.

For commercial in the club systems i have ALOT of stock of 2402s and 2405s for the club systems i Design and sell. so that is not a problem for me.

There are a few tweeters i have demoed that sound nice, but they shall remain nameless at this time till i sell all my jbl products out of stock

Cool! I thought the ET-703 was discontinued, glad to know I was wrong. As for keeping the other tweeters all to yourself.........
Old 11-12-2009, 11:41 PM

Yea i wld

Quote:
Shorty, the ByBee Master REF unit is right at $10grand and IMHO not worth the extra cabbage for minute differences. Although when they were demoing it out in Colorado, the system with the ByBee unit was producing the deepest bass, but the overall system clarity from highs, mids, and bass(punchy ass fuck...Tight Bass) was with the Lightspeed unit.

still want to hear it, if its that good ill offer it to sell and in my system to use. I will offer Lightspeed soon i am talking with them about becoming a dealer.

Nice how they use TAD components in their system.

Thats what i noticed with the lightspeed products when i heard them, very in focus and everything in its own domain, very fast articulate and resolving. The Lightspeed units i demoed were a limited addition signature series with the gold emblem and not avail anymore, which are different from the other units. in the attachment you will see TAD 1601 or 03 drivers used in there hifi systems as well
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 1.png
Views:	398
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	2606  

Last edited by soundmanshorty : 11-13-2009 at 02:19 AM.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:44 PM

lol

Quote:
Cool! I thought the ET-703 was discontinued, glad to know I was wrong. As for keeping the other tweeters all to yourself.........
you will just have to wait and see what i go to next for tweeters
Old 11-13-2009, 12:32 AM
Banned

without a doubt...

I don't think anyone will go wrong with either one of these brands. My ears were just telling me that the Lightspeed unit was the one I thought gave the system that was hooked into it the warmth, depth, clarity, and detail for the price range. Everything IMO was just perfect and the music was lifelike. They played jazz,rock, country, disco, classical (Bach man....come on Bach!!)! WOW!!!
Old 11-13-2009, 12:33 AM

Looks great Shorty I think your client needs to think about cleaning his house though LOL

Watch me spin live Saturdays 3-5PM PST here
http://www.stickam.com/faderwaveradio

Baba Booey!
Old 11-13-2009, 12:39 AM

Yea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin James
Looks great Shorty I think your client needs to think about cleaning his house though LOL

he is getting his basement prepped and in order now that the products are arriving, he owns restaurants and alot of buisinesses so he hasent had the time to, now that the SBS Elegance series console arrived he is getting it in order. I just wanted to take a few pics so everyone could see them.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:48 AM

Yea

Quote:
I don't think anyone will go wrong with either one of these brands. My ears were just telling me that the Lightspeed unit was the one I thought gave the system that was hooked into it the warmth, depth, clarity, and detail for the price range. Everything IMO was just perfect and the music was lifelike. They played jazz,rock, country, disco, classical (Bach man....come on Bach!!)! WOW!!!

i have heard alot of these units and were never blown away by them, i have a richard grey sinewave cleaner and it works good, but not like these at all.

So im gunna buy 2 of the Lightspeed large Conditioners, 1 for the console so i can plug the mixer, turntables, Thrive Audio Isolator, Bad Neighbor, Bender & SBS S3X xover in the Analog AC inputs, and CD players & Lavry DA10s products in the Digital AC input of the power conditioner.

The other Lightspeed for all my Custom Thrive Audio amps and Custom Marchand Xovers in the Analog AC inputs, and my Burners in the digital AC inputs in the amprack.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:23 AM
Banned

That's gonna kick ass!
Old 11-13-2009, 01:38 AM

Yea i wld

Quote:
That's gonna kick ass!

think it will be just what the dr ordered, and really give my system a diff dimension. I heard it rt away what it does, and said i need this lol. Lookin forward to getting these
Old 12-28-2009, 02:09 PM

Updates?

5char