Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 01:57 PM

Denon SC3900 - spinning platter...?

Hi all
I was just wondering if anyone on the board has any experience of the Denon SC3900 CD/controller and its spinning platter? I like the concept, but not sure how it feels in practice. I don't really scratch, but I like the idea of cueing up the next tune using the real piece of vinyl on the platter, as well as dragging your finger along the side to slow down etc.
So how well does it emulate the feel of an SL1200?

Old 02-17-2013, 10:25 PM

even if it does spin, it really needs the torque of the 1200 in order to replicate.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:30 AM

It has more torque in fact. And a triangle on the start/break pots thats supposed to indicate the Techs start stop times.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:54 AM

According to here:
http://bpmmag.co.za/tech-reviews/denon-sc3900/

Quote:
One of the biggest features on the new flagship model [carried over from the SC3700] is a 12 pole electric motor directly driving the platter with an adjustable torque setting in 0.1 increments from 1.0 Kg/nm to 3.0 Kg/nm. The default setting for the platter is set to 1.7 Kg/nm, which coincidentally is the exact same torque figure that the now defunct Technics SL range of turntables produced.

I was just wondering if anyone on this board had ever played on one?
Old 02-18-2013, 07:36 PM

I have a pair of 3700 which are supposed to have the same exact motors. They have plenty of torque. Only problem is that you can not slow them down with your finger by pressing on the platter like you can on the 1200's. I brought this up on the Denon forums and they told me to either use the pitch control or the pitch shift +/- buttons. I ended up buying an NS7 from Numark which also have motorized platters and with those you are able to press on the platter to slow it down just like on 1200's. In fact, I like it better than my 1200's. Only thing is, they don't play CD's, which is not a problem for me.

The adjustable torque setting on my 3700's don't do anything. No matter what setting you put it on,you can't slow the platter down with your finger. So I suggest you try a pair if you can before you buy. Besides that little problem, the 3700's are excellent cd players. Most DJ's get used to riding the pitch control, or using the pitch shift +/- buttons. I couldn't get used to it, mainly because I play mostly old disco music that has a live drummer. I like pressing on the platter and the NS7 works perfectly when pressing on the platter.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:32 AM

The NS7 isn't even a media player, right, just a MIDI/usb controller?

http://www.openfuelstandard.org/2011...pen-wager.html
Old 02-19-2013, 01:59 AM

Yeah, the NS7 is strictly a controller. It runs Serato Itch.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:13 AM

My understanding is that the motor is not exactly the same as the one on the SC3700 (yes, I was aware of the finger dragging issue) and that they have specifically addressed that issue with the SC3900.

So seriously, no one here has touched one then?

This guy seems to be successfully dragging his finger along the side to slow it down, as far as I can see (check 1:46, 2:00, 4:27 etc.)

Sorry about the music, btw...
Old 02-19-2013, 04:08 AM

What type of music are you going to be mixing? Something with a live drummer, or new music with a drum machine. If it is drum machine music, pressing on the platter will work with the 3700, because it will slow down when you press on the platter, it just doesn't slow down smoothly. It kind of jerks. I haven't tried the 3900, but I bet it is not as smooth as the ns7. I'll have to go play with one at my local GC to see. If you need it to ride the pitch like to keep live drummer beats in sync, the pressing on the platter needs to be smooth. I'll have to try one of those 3900's myself, but I seriously doubt they fixed it, because I was the only one on the Denon forum that was bitching about it. Everybody else didn't see it as a problem. I will let you know once I play with one. Go check out the ns7 if you get a chance. That works just as good if not better than a 1200, unless you need to use CD's.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:18 AM

I play lots of "real" disco too, so I understand what you mean about needing a smooth response when you drag your finger on the edge of the platter. So that was you on the Denon forum complaining about it? I saw that the main Denon guy answered you (I think) saying they had fixed it for the 3900, but of course he would say that!

The only way to know for sure is by actually having a go - that's why I was asking on here, as I thought someone here might have tried one. I might pop into town on Saturday and see if I can find one in a shop to try. I think darrylfunk has used them before and likes them, hopefully he can chime in with more detail about the platter.

I know that the ns7/v7 platter is supposed to feel good, but I don't think it integrates with Traktor that well (it's designed for itch) and it doesn't have the facility for CDs or USB sticks either (which I really like about the Denon). I also think the Numark looks a bit like a toy, while the Denon looks like a piece of pro equipment (especially since they removed those silly effects).
Old 02-19-2013, 12:14 PM

geez, whats the point of having a spinning platter if you cant touch it?
Old 02-19-2013, 01:03 PM

That's the big question, isn't it? Perhaps they've got it right with this one?
I'm going to see if I can find one in town on Saturday and then I'll report back.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Dub
geez, whats the point of having a spinning platter if you cant touch it?

What is the point of a moving platter on a cd player full stop....

Go with pioneer (not a fanboy) when you need a good cd-player that is used everywhere. Or look at a good controller (like NS7)

Btw, did I already mentioned the massive write off on denon players...Second hand market is a disaster over here.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drama
What is the point of a moving platter on a cd player full stop....
Gee, I wonder...?

Quote:
Go with pioneer (not a fanboy) when you need a good cd-player that is used everywhere.
No thanks. Too expensive, no spinning platter.

Quote:
Or look at a good controller (like NS7)
No thanks, looks like a toy, platters too small, no CD or USB stick support.

Quote:
Btw, did I already mentioned the massive write off on denon players...Second hand market is a disaster over here.
I'm not planning on selling it, I'm planning to use it.

Thanks for your ideas, anyway.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:04 AM

I own the 3700's and I've played on the 3900's they are both great players and built well. They will do everything the cdj-2000 nexus will do. The only thing I don't like is Denon's software support it sucks. But pioneer has a 6 month back order for cdj parts. Just download rekordbox on a flash drive that way if a club has a cdj your set.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterharrison
That's the big question, isn't it? Perhaps they've got it right with this one?
I'm going to see if I can find one in town on Saturday and then I'll report back.
let us know your findings