Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-13-2007, 01:01 PM

SBS home system, My home system redo

I will be building all my new cabinets after i complete the Audiophile sound system for my client.

List:

Thrive Audio amplfiers:

Nyla for Subbass
Maya for MidBass
Reya for Low Mid
Syla for midrange
Class AB fully descrete 30 watt amp for Tweeters

SBS Cabinets:

2 SBH 1.18, Subbass Horns
4 FBH 115B, Front Loaded Bass Horns 2 per Ch
2 FMH 112B, Front Loaded Mid High, 1 per Ch
1 SBS Console, Classic series (3 Ph 1 Reel to Reel) W/ 2 SBS Smoked Plexi CD holders for Technics SL DZ1200
2 SBS smoke Plexi CD holders w/ steel Mounting Hardware

Drivers & Horn of Choice:

2 RLA 18016, 1 per Subbass horn cabinet
4 TAD TL 1601B ,2 per Channel
2 TAD TM 1201H, 1 per Mid High horn cabinet
2 TAD TD 4002, 1 Per Ch
2 TAD ET 703, 1 Per Ch
2 TAD TH 4371 Horns, 1 Per Ch

Thrive Audio & SBS Electronics:

1, Thrive Audio Program EQ
1, Thrive Audio Isolator
1, Thrive Audio Bad Neighbor
1, SBS S3X 3 Way Xover
1, Custom 3 way fullrange x-over
No room/system EQ

Additional Gear:

1 Urei 1620 w/ 1620 x fader
RLA power strip from NYC Palladium
1 Dennon CD burner
1 Marantz CD Burner
2 Technics SL DZ1200 cd players
3 Technics 1200 MK2 in Silver - Rega silver arm Mod
1 Technics RS 1500 reel to reel
3 Audio Technology VU meters

Jus thought id share what i`m Building in my home. I will post pics when its finished. I am getting rid of my altecs, lens horns,
and starting over with new HIFI products and New Cabinet designs that i will be implimenting in the field

www.systemsbyshorty.com

Last edited by soundmanshorty : 12-13-2007 at 06:38 PM.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to edwardcampbell Send a message via MSN to edwardcampbell
Hard To Compete

That's a bit much to compete with, TAD is EXPENSIVE !!!!!!!!!!!, Can't get any better than that.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:21 PM

sounds like the ultimate home playback system

let us know how the tad bullets sound in comparison to the jbl slots

peas
Old 12-13-2007, 03:26 PM

lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Bissnette
sounds like the ultimate home playback system

let us know how the tad bullets sound in comparison to the jbl slots

peas

you cant even compare the 2, the hiend dont stop with the ET 703s, its just effortless, jus goes up up up, there good to 45K and very smooth. Im hearing information i never heard before in these recordings, but they have the sizzle i like aswell, which is important for my dance music when im playin that.

I played some Simply Red and the brushes on the symbols was so soft and delicate, Holdin back the Years was outstanding sounding, David Bowe Lets Dance & Miss You By the Rolling Stones 12 Inch, sounded outrageous on the ET 703s. But the best & only way to describe it, Breathtaking, thats all ill say, and this was hearing it with a JBL 2240 (which im not a Fan of) and a slot on the fullrange. Once i have the cabinets built, and all this TAD product working in the SBS cabinets, it will be mind bogling for sure.

One really nice thing with the construction & design of the TAD TH 4371 Horn is, the Driver is completly isolated from the horn, so there is 0 resonance to color the sound. Its just incredible product and well worth every penny.

Last edited by soundmanshorty : 12-13-2007 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:53 PM

Awwww man I would love to hear all that! Cant wait for pics

I see you have gone for a Marantz (pro model I guess) audio CD burner, they are great units aren't they, I have a very very old one and it sounds soo good for it's age, it's a CDR-630. I need to get a new one though cos it really is on it's last legs but that sound lol.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:18 PM

Soundmanshorty:

Stop ripping people off by selling them wire that does not improve the sound in any way! If you do not agree, challenge me in a blind test!
Old 12-13-2007, 09:26 PM

now now kids....

LoL

Doolittle & Seymour Associates
Old 12-14-2007, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchrishiggs
Soundmanshorty:

Stop ripping people off by selling them wire that does not improve the sound in any way! If you do not agree, challenge me in a blind test!
Hey, stop this bullshit now! He isnt forcing you to purcahse anything, so he isnt ripping anyone off.

BTW, Over there in the UK you dont have Rega making tonearms with special wire they claim improves sound? Rega is ripping people off?

Oh, and what about fancy companies like Chord?

Ill tell ya, I will send you a Wireworld Noise cancelling Power cord, 5ft in length, it goes into any 120v piece of gear with and IEC socket, mI paid $200.00 for it back in 95. I dont know if you will like it, but you will hear a difference.

And I can also send you a Kimber PBJ RCA to RCA, braided unshilded. You WILL hear something!

Or I have a 0.5 metre FM Acoustics Silver Interconnect, again, you WILL hear something, will you like it? I dont know, but I do know you will hear a difference!

How is it todays high end companies can sell power line conditioning, interconnects, connectors, wire, speaker cable, etc, and THEY arent ripping people off, but Shorty is?

Is the older wire better? You would have to decide for yourself, BUT, there is MOST definitely a difference in manufacturing processes today than what was in use years ago.

Years ago, copper was soft annealed, and wire that is soft annealed is considered by many to have a more pleasant sound. Today, we have super conductors, wire with virtually no resistance, no capacitance, and no inductance. Whether or not you can hear it has been the subject of debate for many years now, however IT IS MEASURABLE! That makes the companies claims valid.

I dont always agree with everything everyone says, but, everyone has right to their opinion. But, if your going to begin name calling and slanderous posts, I wont tolerate this, and you will be going BYE BYE!

SO CUT THE SHIT, you want to disagree, fine! But no one is forcing anyone to buy anything, or ripping anyone off!
Old 12-14-2007, 10:49 AM

i aggree that calling ppl out on purpose is not very nice

and whether the wire does anything or not is debatable as many audiophile companys do all sorts of things to the products they sell to so called improve the sound

but there are things you know like you know a bryston sounds better than the reciever you get at best buy but in the end its all subjective

if on the meter the wire does something different then for sure a claim is valid

lets all be a bit nicer eh?

peas
Old 12-14-2007, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchrishiggs
Soundmanshorty:

your pretty fucking annoying
Old 12-14-2007, 12:49 PM

Allright guys, lets just cool it. Whatever, whatever, its over and done with. The point has been made. No need to take it further.

My point is that WE can all agree to disagree, and debate or conversate anything, just no name calling or unwarranted accusations.

There are many things for sale out there, some I think do work, and others I think are hype. But things I think are hype, someone else thinks is great, and the best thing since sliced bread.

I talk about my bumper cars with pride and passion, Shorty talks about his work, his things he thinks are great, you guys talk about your systems, etc! I feel we all have a place and a right to express our opinions, and thats the way I want to keep things.

Respect one another, you like what you like, I like what I like, and the world still turns!
Old 12-14-2007, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubman5

Respect one another, you like what you like, I like what I like, and the world still turns!

Exactly and well said.

''These are role models'' - Alan T
Old 12-14-2007, 09:03 PM

Send a message via AIM to edwardcampbell Send a message via MSN to edwardcampbell
TAD Tweeters

TAD Tweeters, thats around $1200.00 per tweeter, well you the cash to play around with. LOL, I heard them and they sound superb.
Old 12-15-2007, 01:48 AM

Talking On the topic of high end audio companies ripping people off.

Quote:

-- snip snip

How is it todays high end companies can sell power line conditioning, interconnects, connectors, wire, speaker cable, etc, and THEY arent ripping people off - snip.

Is the older wire better? You would have to decide for yourself, BUT, there is MOST definitely a difference in manufacturing processes today than what was in use years ago.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but on the issue of today's high end companies selling power line conditioning, connectors, wire, speaker cable, I would say they are certainly ripping people off. I say this as a former Monster Cable employee. I think power line conditioners in areas where voltage swings are not that significant (read: most of the US) are a complete ripoff as are cable upgrades.

When I was a Monster employee, I purchased mountains of their gear (and tons of high end audio gear via Monster's arrangement with high end manufacturer's of other gear). I received the equipment at cost (roughly 95% off). I performed listening tests and could not tell any difference in the way music sounded when using $20 speaker cable and $2,000 speaker cable. I purchased their high end power conditioners and they did not make a spot of difference for me either.

There may be a different manufacturing process today but my ears tell me the sound remains pretty much the same.

Just my opinion.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:08 AM

I agree with Acidburn's comments.

One time we did not have enough speaker cable so we used the one sold at the 99 cent store next door. The other cable was a ProCo. We did not experience any difference is sound what-so-ever.

Without a doubt more expensive components will sound good (and last longer). The question is, will it justify the cost to sound quality ratio?
Old 12-15-2007, 06:16 PM

I hear you guys! BUT, I said you CAN hear differences with different wires and things, I did NOT say I like todays insanely priced HIGH END interconnects and wires.

Actually, in my system, it went the opposite way. Expensive audio interconnects always sounded too bright for me. Now, all my tweeters and horns are of the highest efficiency compression horn type, and just as they magnify flaws in recordings, noise, and all your systems gear behind them, they allow me to hear wire more than a pair of typical direct radiator, 3 way speakers with all cone drivers for bass, mid, treb.

I hear changes in tonal balance if I change interconnects, but, I have yet to find a high priced, audio specific interconnect that I liked, and left in my system.

I use regular 24Ga West Penn 2 conductor + ground and Switchcraft or Neutrik connectors and this works fine for me.

MG75, years ago, around 1980, my uncle comes in one night, he has a pair of Tascam RCA interconnects. The package says that the Tascam cables are made to have Virtually no capacitance and inductance, so are particularly well suited for audio use. He put them in from the Crown crossovers to the Crown amp powering Altec tweeters we had at that time. We heard a difference. The highs seemed to lose the air, and shimmer. A few hours later, we plugged the regular cable up, the highs just sounded better.

The wire that the Tascam cable was supposed to replace was in fact a Radio Shack wire, with moulded grey and white RCA connectors, the cheapest wire out there and nothing special. We played around with the two cables over a few days, back and forth, and with the Tascam cable we just seemed to lose something, not gain anything. So, we left the cheap cable in.

In 1979, there were already people starting to say that wires made a difference. And that there was a need for higher quaility interconnects than most store bought wire was at that time. Pro-Co would make cables to order, and this was recommended to my uncle, so, he ordered and bought to recable the system. We couldnt hear a difference between the Pro-Co wire, and store bought cables, or cables we made, either.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:11 AM

Quote:
I hear you guys! BUT, I said you CAN hear differences with different wires and things, I did NOT say I like todays insanely priced HIGH END interconnects and wires.

Actually, in my system, it went the opposite way. Expensive audio interconnects always sounded too bright for me. Now, all my tweeters and horns are of the highest efficiency compression horn type, and just as they magnify flaws in recordings, noise, and all your systems gear behind them, they allow me to hear wire more than a pair of typical direct radiator, 3 way speakers with all cone drivers for bass, mid, treb.

I hear changes in tonal balance if I change interconnects, but, I have yet to find a high priced, audio specific interconnect that I liked, and left in my system.

I use regular 24Ga West Penn 2 conductor + ground and Switchcraft or Neutrik connectors and this works fine for me.

MG75, years ago, around 1980, my uncle comes in one night, he has a pair of Tascam RCA interconnects. The package says that the Tascam cables are made to have Virtually no capacitance and inductance, so are particularly well suited for audio use. He put them in from the Crown crossovers to the Crown amp powering Altec tweeters we had at that time. We heard a difference. The highs seemed to lose the air, and shimmer. A few hours later, we plugged the regular cable up, the highs just sounded better.

The wire that the Tascam cable was supposed to replace was in fact a Radio Shack wire, with moulded grey and white RCA connectors, the cheapest wire out there and nothing special. We played around with the two cables over a few days, back and forth, and with the Tascam cable we just seemed to lose something, not gain anything. So, we left the cheap cable in.

In 1979, there were already people starting to say that wires made a difference. And that there was a need for higher quaility interconnects than most store bought wire was at that time. Pro-Co would make cables to order, and this was recommended to my uncle, so, he ordered and bought to recable the system. We couldnt hear a difference between the Pro-Co wire, and store bought cables, or cables we made, either.

Hi Scott,

Some comments:

i) If you really can hear that one cable sounds brighter than another, why haven’t you claimed James Randi’s 1-million dollar prize? I’m serious; this is exactly the kind of observation he refutes, and you can claim the cash if you can hear the difference blindfolded.

ii) Unless you’re talking about guitar cabling, which is sensitive to cable capacitance, you’d have to have a ridiculous amount of capacitance to create any kind of ‘high end roll-off’. No cable ever documented (outside of guitar applications - where you have a hundred times the impedance of a line-level setup) possesses such capacitance. In a typical club or hi-fi system, cable capacitance is a non-issue. No audio-grade cable has enough capacitance to create a filter below 100Khz. The highly esteemed audio scholar and designer, Dan Lavry, proves this point here (essential reading for all forum members): http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/ind...//0/#msg_45967

iii) Maybe you are suggesting that the ‘modern’ cable is forming a hi-pass filter, accentuating the highs? Again, this is totally beyond the realms of physics (basic physics I should add – it’s not as if the technology didn’t exist decades ago to prove such a thing). For the cable to form a hi-pass filter, it would have to possess massive serial capacitance, as opposed to core / screen parallel capacitance…

iv) Are you suggesting the ‘modern’ cable forms some kind of resonant peak filter, accentuating the highs? Again, not only would this be an undocumented phenomenon, but one that would be extremely difficult to justify via any scientific theory whatsoever…real ‘X-files’ stuff…

You’d have to be incredibly wealthy to turn down the opportunity to win a million dollars… What’s stopping you from claiming the prize?

Justin

Bozak CMA 10-2-DL Full Rebuild

How Mixer Level Controls Work

Important Differences Between Types of Bozak
Old 12-17-2007, 08:15 AM

To clarify the above, I should also add that, by inferring the modern cables sound brighter, one can only conclude that the older cables are filtering the sound in some way, and - as you have stated - you prefer this sound...

So, am I to take it that you deliberately employ older cables for their ability to filter out the high-frequencies? Doesn't anyone find the concept of choosing a cable, instead of say, employing an EQ, to filter off HF content, rather bizarre?

Bozak CMA 10-2-DL Full Rebuild

How Mixer Level Controls Work

Important Differences Between Types of Bozak
Old 12-17-2007, 08:51 AM

Copper pots still available!

Improve your sound today and order now!

Old 12-17-2007, 09:10 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermionic
To clarify the above, I should also add that, by inferring the modern cables sound brighter, one can only conclude that the older cables are filtering the sound in some way, and - as you have stated - you prefer this sound...

So, am I to take it that you deliberately employ older cables for their ability to filter out the high-frequencies? Doesn't anyone find the concept of choosing a cable, instead of say, employing an EQ, to filter off HF content, rather bizarre?
this is a good point u make sir.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhh212
Copper pots still available!

copper pots in the kitchen are an improvement... they conduct heat more consistently around the pot, but most folks i know that have them just polish them, never cook in them...

more a decoration item, unless a candymaker is in the house...

Old 12-17-2007, 12:16 PM

if one uses a cable to filter a sound instead of a component like an eq in my opinion its better and this is why i think this

the less components in the signal chain that process the information the better many audiophiles do not use eqs or tone controls of any sort in their systems

alex rosner described it as having multiple panes of glass and trying to see all thru these panes so each pane is a component

the more panes you have the more you have to polish them

the less you have the better you should still polish them but all the beter

in my opinion less is more

peas

ps this discussion is great as long as we all discuss and not try to throw rocks
Old 12-17-2007, 12:33 PM

just because it is common practice (or even considered 'best practice') amongst 'audiophiles,' does not make it an ideal solution IMHO....

to each their own IMO....

a high quality EQ can provide much benefit, esp to help deal with room anomalies, IMO

Old 12-17-2007, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermionic

I think you guys misunderstood what he was getting at. Thermionic's not telling you to use an EQ. Hes simply playing "devil's advocate" and saying that if the arguement for using older wires because they somehow affect the sound is true (which he argues does not), then why not use an EQ which is designed to do just that.

I dont consider myself a pro tech guy but I've always achieved to get better sound out of any system whether it be at home, in a club, recording studio, etc. Ive tried many different cables and wires in different applications and have yet to hear a difference in sound....just my humble unprofessional opinion.

Last edited by djhh212 : 12-17-2007 at 01:25 PM.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:54 PM

Guys

The only time I've heard any difference with cables is on the amplifier/speaker side when replacing extremely long runs of sub grade lamp cord with a decent sizes twisted cable.

There was a serious amount of cable capacitance with the crap lamp cord.
There are issues that arise on the output side of amplifiers but a reasonable gauge generic cable sound exactly the same to me as a same conductor size Kimber or and other high end cable I've heard.

As for signal cables, as long as there is no inherent resistive qualities, I can't see there being that much of a difference.

Again, this is going on my ears and my experience. If you have forked over thousands of dollars on esoteric cables, you would like to believe and hope there is a difference.

West Penn 291 is as good a signal cable as i need.