Links

Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-19-2007, 04:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to edwardcampbell Send a message via MSN to edwardcampbell
Isolator Craze

Have we gone crazy, Isolators are the new thing, DJ's are placing them in front of there mixers. I thought it was about the musci. Today Isolators are being used as a new tool to energize dancers. We have come to a sad end. Isolators serve a purpose, no question, however, certain DJ's have gone beyond the norm. It's like digital processing, an excuse for being able to do it properly the first time. Guys are using Iso's for 95% of there set, this is crazy. Well I really can't blame them with all the sad music being released. SOMEONE PLEASE WAKE UP !

Last edited by edwardcampbell : 10-19-2007 at 04:46 PM.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:54 PM

Not only isolators, but all effect mixers too. I hate those Dj's that use the standard effect omn their DJM600 / 800 or Xone.

If you use it, use it properly. And not to hide your "skills".
Old 10-19-2007, 04:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to edwardcampbell Send a message via MSN to edwardcampbell
You are a trooper
Old 10-19-2007, 05:03 PM

What do you mean by that? (sorry, I'm dutch )
Old 10-19-2007, 05:04 PM

You Understand
Old 10-19-2007, 05:08 PM

I think I do.

Everybody is going digital nowadays..Beatport is only bringing crappy music and crappy releases. You have to do something to energize your set then... It's to "cold" only cd's and those digital mixers. Pioneer / Korg / ecler.. Midi here, effects there, ableton.. Where's the love for music?

I have used CDJ's / Ableton / Final Scratch, but nothing beats vinyl in my opinion!
Old 10-19-2007, 05:18 PM

I agree with most of the comments on here especially about the Pioneer Fx stuff, look flange look delay oh look flange again. And abelton and that stuff dont get me started, I think the music has been lost in all the technology.
Personally I would like an Isolator but not just for the effect; great it is when used well and not on every track but the fact you can use it to boost/sweeten tracks is a bonus to me when using it on a 1620 cos that means you donít have to fidget with those awkward stereo tone controls on the Urei or Bozak, when mixing with vinyl I think itís nice. You know those pressings that could do with just a small amount of treble boost, basically use the Isolator as an EQ and effect.
I donít know what to buy this x-mas lol Isolator or Allen & Heath Vf-1 hmmm or MPC2000
Old 10-19-2007, 09:30 PM

Ed...I couldnt have said it better! Right on...And to add the cherry on top, DJ's are spending crazy money on them...for home use! I have an E&S Isolator. I love it and it sounds great on my system but if it cost a penny more than it did, i dont think I could have justified buying it...no matter how well it sounded. To spend any more on a tool that I use sparingly doesnt make sense to me.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:39 PM

Keep in mind they serve the purpose, but not for what the DJ's are using them for today. They can act in place of an Xover so you don't burn the Xover pots out. However the need is there, if you cannot get a crossover. It was a great idea, I think the DJ's became dependent on them. No ISOLATOR I will not play. LOL WRONG, GOOD DJ will rarely use it.

Last edited by edwardcampbell : 10-19-2007 at 09:43 PM.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinyl_junkie
I agree with most of the comments on here especially about the Pioneer Fx stuff, look flange look delay oh look flange again.

I agree I get so sick of the Flange, I also see an "isolator" like an easy big knobbed three band EQ, some isolation here and there, regardless of what its original intention was.

Technology use ebbes and flows, changes and evolves, and maybe as some would argue devolves.

I have a friend who used to play in Doc's Big Band on The Late Show with Johnny Carson, as well as with all the 'big names' in Vegas, he's in his late 70's now. If you ask him it was all over when they started using those synth-e-size-rs, and stopped bringing a grand piano to every gig.

I do understand the nature of slippery slopes, "maybe just one more machine," the gym owner says to himself, "we don't really need that squat rack . . ."

That said, when something is lost it leaves the oppurtunity for it to be found again.

Mentor young DJ's, keep your idea of the 'real art and philosophy' alive and strong.

Last edited by BigCat : 10-21-2007 at 11:01 PM.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:34 PM

I didn't grow up around the early club scene, in fact I didn't even know that DJ's used to control their system with three way crossovers! A lot of times it's not a lack of desire to know, it's just the DJ's don't know what they're missing.

Long live the wavemusic board, may the art and knowledge of great DJ's and system builders never be lost.

Last edited by BigCat : 10-21-2007 at 11:03 PM.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:16 AM

The Isolator when used properly can be a plus in any sound system, trust me on this. The unit should go above the mixer and used when neede, not for every record that is played. In the 70's the three way x-0ver was used sparingly for certain records where effects were required, e.g. Love is the Message where the sax needed to be brought to the front at peak dance time. So when used please use it correctly, I am going to purchase one however, it will be used sparingly. It does serve a purpose, it can save the fatigue on a crossover.

Last edited by edwardcampbell : 10-20-2007 at 02:50 PM.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:58 AM

Some great points in this thread. When used sparingly they are a great tool, but they aren't meant to be tweaked every two seconds. I can't stand when people can't keep their grubby little hands off the isolator.... like Joe Clausell. I seriousley think he needs to be slapped. Louie Vegga seems to be guilty in this area as well. At some point you gotta kick your track in and let the dam thing play.

I think they especially come in handy with a mixer like the Urei or Bozak where the only eq you have is the stereo bass and tebble which aren't exactly very usefull for dj purposes. I like to cut the bass every now and then and then slam it back in as a lot of people do. Can't really do that with a Urei without an outboard isolator. I never would have bought one if I were still using my Rane 2016a since it has per channel EQ's with the XP unit, however I'm glad I did because I've learned I really prefer a master EQ or isolator now to channell EQ's.

Watch me spin live Saturdays 3-5PM PST here
http://www.stickam.com/faderwaveradio

Baba Booey!

Last edited by Kevin James : 10-20-2007 at 12:00 PM.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:50 PM

True

I definitely think alot of djs today do not let the records speak and breathe. I know alot of djs use the bass cut outs to clean up their mix more than anything. Back in the day you just had to be that good to pull it off. It is so easy to mix this crap today. Sorry I had to vent LOL But when using a urei, bozak, or whatever rotary you like to use, there is nothing like being able to bring in that mix that is on perfectly, and use the track to create the smooth blend into the next record or overdubs, phasing, Back in the day it was great, most of 12" came with acapellas
Old 10-20-2007, 02:00 PM

People its 2007/08 if they don't, they will not be playing much longer, and I'm not talking isolators, I'm speaking technology, technology affords us to do thing that where impossible 5 forget 20 years ago....

And i am a purist at heart, believe me, but people are doing amazing things that if you are not doing amazing things and using these new tools at your disposal its difficult to stay ahead of the game...

and with any walk of life, business or entertainment , staying ahead of the game is critical to survival and advancement..

Last edited by moonmoon : 10-20-2007 at 02:04 PM.
Old 10-20-2007, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonmoon
People its 2007/08 if they don't, they will not be playing much longer, and I'm not talking isolators, I'm speaking technology, technology affords us to do thing that where impossible 5 forget 20 years ago....

And i am a purist at heart, believe me, but people are doing amazing things that if you are not doing amazing things and using these new tools at your disposal its difficult to stay ahead of the game...

and with any walk of life, business or entertainment , staying ahead of the game is critical to survival and advancement..

Fair point of view and i'm not disagreeing with you here but it all depends on what does it for the individual........i mean for me personally its the music itself thats the most important and DJ's that look out those special tracks (which again are different from person to person but quality music is fairly universal IMO) are the ones which will stay ahead of the game.

But i do respect what youre saying
Old 10-20-2007, 02:55 PM

Gentlemen, this isolator issue is not meant to discredit anyone, however the talent pool is very thin, every DJ sounds the same. Back in the 70's and 80's you could tell the difference between Larry Levan and Tee Scott and other's, today everyone has the same program. This is sad, I have been playing and listening since 1975 and nothing today really makes an impression on. When I go out I don't pay to get into clubs because of who I know, however patrons spend major dollars these days.
Old 10-20-2007, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeee
Fair point of view and i'm not disagreeing with you here but it all depends on what does it for the individual........i mean for me personally its the music itself thats the most important and DJ's that look out those special tracks (which again are different from person to person but quality music is fairly universal IMO) are the ones which will stay ahead of the game.

But i do respect what youre saying

Technology will not make you a musician, but if you learn to use your tools, just like at some point you learned to beatmix and use a computer, learn to control these new tools at your disposal, it sounds like a an unstoppable situation where your imagination is the limit and no place is unattainable...

That being said i enjoy a hybrid style, best of the old best of the new... Just the best combination of tools that works for me... sound and function, and the music is music, if you don't know how to play a record then you shouldn't be a DJ, where going past fundamentals in this conv..
Old 10-20-2007, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardcampbell
Gentlemen, this isolator issue is not meant to discredit anyone, however the talent pool is very thin, every DJ sounds the same. Back in the 70's and 80's you could tell the difference between Larry Levan and Tee Scott and other's, today everyone has the same program. This is sad, I have been playing and listening since 1975 and nothing today really makes an impression on. When I go out I don't pay to get into clubs because of who I know, however patrons spend major dollars these days.

so what are you saying f.k. sucks... jk

Go to a f.k party or a theo parrish or some new up coming live producers playing from abelton, people are amazing these days, blows my mind...

the Underground resistance live shows, isolee live was great, simion mobile, lcd sound system etc etc etc..
Old 10-20-2007, 03:15 PM

Serato= Awesome You can really have the best of both worlds. And it is sounding alot better these days. I understand being fresh with technology. But sometimes you see the same djs doing the same thing with the same song on the same mixer alot of times. I think James Zabiela is probably one of the best skilled djs right now that brings alot of energy to his sets using the 800. Alot of Djs I see are trying to be alot like him. Be yourself. It doesn't matter as long as the music is real. Sometimes it really hurts the vibe!!
Old 10-20-2007, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardcampbell
Gentlemen, this isolator issue is not meant to discredit anyone, however the talent pool is very thin, every DJ sounds the same. Back in the 70's and 80's you could tell the difference between Larry Levan and Tee Scott and other's, today everyone has the same program.

sounds like you need to go to a wider variety of parties, or move to a more interesting city.

there's a lot going on right now in dance music, and dozens of camps are coming together for the first time in a very long time.

in my experience, isolators aren't really used by the new generation much at all - it seems to be more of a tool for older deep house DJs and some tech-house guys, neither of which are really at the forefront of current trends.
serrato is much more ubiquitous than any other hardware right now, IMO.
Old 10-20-2007, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminb

in my experience, isolators aren't really used by the new generation much at all - it seems to be more of a tool for older deep house DJs and some tech-house guys, neither of which are really at the forefront of current trends.
serrato is much more ubiquitous than any other hardware right now, IMO.

You are 100% bang on the money there! There was a video on the Pioneer website with this DJ saying how he used to work the crossover in MOS back in the day using it like an Isolator due to the limmited FX etc... Basically saying that is old hat and how much more you can do with the DJM-800 and CDJ1000's
Isolators are for old fogies like us lot lol
Old 10-20-2007, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinyl_junkie
You are 100% bang on the money there! There was a video on the Pioneer website with this DJ saying how he used to work the crossover in MOS back in the day using it like an Isolator due to the limmited FX etc... Basically saying that is old hat and how much more you can do with the DJM-800 and CDJ1000's
Isolators are for old fogies like us lot lol

if people want to talk about current trends in DJing, forget about the louie vegas and the joe claussells - don't get me wrong, both have blown my mind many times, but very few cool kids under the age of 25 care about that school of club music.
download the diplo pitchfork mix if you want to know what's actually contemporary - no isolator wanking, and about a dozen or so genres crammed into an hour, tons of accappellas mixed seamlessly over dancehall/rock/house/techno/rap/R&B/ect.

i think he's a bit overrated personally, but that mix is pretty hot, and what the kids are aspiring to these days.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:21 PM

I will say it again, I get out alot, I get feedback, I will state with my opinion, I have not been impressed, I have not named any DJ as some others have, I have an opinion and I will stick with until proven otherwise. And one more thing, why aren't any tracks coming that will be considered classics in 20 years. Also, I am talking to the people who were around in the 70's.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:27 PM

HELLO ! I did not name anyone, I said I am not impressed, and that is my opinion, I do not get involved with names just facts. By the when I started guys not only played on systems they built them. With all the technology and equipment today, only a few can get it right. I visited Cielo and for once it was close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonmoon
so what are you saying f.k. sucks... jk

Go to a f.k party or a theo parrish or some new up coming live producers playing from abelton, people are amazing these days, blows my mind...

the Underground resistance live shows, isolee live was great, simion mobile, lcd sound system etc etc etc..