Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-25-2007, 11:18 AM

ebay advertising on this forum

Sorry to rant, but lately I'm starting to see a lot of "look what I saw on ebay" type posts. Thats all fine an good if YOU are the one selling the item, but if its not your item, how about we just don't mention it. Let those of us who regularly search and find the items have the priveledge of bidding against less interested parties.

I spend hours a week searching for rare items, and on occasion find some really obscure things that according to the hit counter not many others have found. That means I may get it CHEAP or even uncontested. When people post on here for everyone to see, it creates competition which equals higher demand and we all know what that does to prices.

So in short, if you see something you like, bid on it. Otherwise shut the fuck up about it.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:22 AM

i hear that
Old 06-25-2007, 11:26 AM

Why not? Planning on selling it on the Wave board for premium price?

It is a free economy. All people probably not have the time to spend all day looking on Ebay. If some people that frequent the board see something other people want, it is a nice gesture for others which may be interested.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:38 AM

If others are that interested, then they should get off their ass and look for themselves.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:55 AM

sorry about that....

if it's considered bad form, I could stop doing that....

I don't post alot of the interesting things i run across on ebay tho'

I view it as a goodwill gesture to the membership of one of the
boards that i consider to have been a great source of knowledge
for me.....

Doolittle & Seymour Associates
Old 06-25-2007, 12:22 PM

Thank you DSA... i've always appreciated it.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:35 PM
Samplaholic

I personally see nothing wrong with it and that's why I do it. I've been the beneficiary of such post in many ways and consider it a courtesy to those who are interested buying or just seeing the gear in question. If i see an item others may need based prior threads I intend to let members know about it. If the thread says E-Bay in the title it's your choice to skip it or read it. Many great items from RLA classics to great gear that is "cheap via bad description ". Members of all levels have made such post and posted within threads.

What you proposed serves you just fine but as a community it's about more than one person. It also doesn't make a difference about who's selling the item. Don't tell so I can get it cheap....how self -serving is that? I personally get tired of reading simple questions replied to with suggestions of buying gear that they no is out of the persons price range or beyond the scope of the request- but that doesn't mean i should be able to dictate what other choose to post.

Another benefit is that many are exposed to gear we have never seen before. Not to mention it's a great resource for pics of gear that's been forgotten.

A hidden sales pitch product pitch is one thing ,but if you don't want to read the thread then skip it - especially if says Ebay in the topic. As you said, "Otherwise shut the fuck up about it."

The last line unnecessary to make my point just as it was not needed to make yours. My response is respectful but is no way an apology or offered excuse for my posts (past, present or future) or that of others that have extended this courtesy to members .
________
big women Webcams

Last edited by nitred : 04-07-2011 at 03:41 AM.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitred
What you proposed serves you just fine but as a community it's about more than one person. It also doesn't make a difference about who's selling the item. Don't tell so I can get it cheap....how self -serving is that?

Its ENTIRELY self serving - I make no quams about that. If I can either get something cheap or pay more because I had to outbid two other people who might have missed the deal, which do you think I prefer?

I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way, just the only one willing to speak up about it. Not too long ago, someone posted a link to some BH882's on the 'bay. Shortly thereafter, someone on here bid on them. Then I outbid that person. Then the post here mysteriously vanished. That should have been a clue.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:14 PM

if the ideea is to keep gear prices low,

why not just place an outright ban of gear talk?

if no one talks about gear they like, the "word" on them doesn't spread....

do you think there is a way to cleanse the web of gear descriptons of the
stuff that i am currently looking for?

I bet i could get it all pretty cheap if that was the case....

Old 06-25-2007, 05:17 PM

by the way, if it is your ad -- i think it is common courtesy to acknowledge that it is your own auction....

Old 06-25-2007, 09:21 PM

Send a message via MSN to NeverObsolete Send a message via Yahoo to NeverObsolete
This is one of those debates that a two sided sword for me. I live on ebay. I buy all my gear on ebay. All of it. And FOR ME I have been very fortunate with the items selected. I am on ebay, in the Pro Audio section every day. I watch at least 60 or more items always. One of my first stops on the forum is the gear for sale. I don't have lots of money, therefore the bargains on ebay are welcomed.

I have watched and bid against many people on the forum. And I must say, they have won the majority of the times. Then, there are times that I have bought something for little money.

I appreciatate it when an item is mentioned here, even if I don't buy it. The pictures of the items give me an opportunity to see what I may have missed in the past.

sometimes it pisses me off when I bid against another member, it's ebay and it's an auction. If the member doesn't win, then someone will. However, there are times that I am determined to take the item home. When this occurs the bidding war is on. And if I got the dollar in hand, I intend to win.

I know the frustration of having a person win an auction for pennies above my bid. But hey, that's what ebay is about.

One thing about ebay. Patience, sometimes years, will bring home the item you are after. Like the Urei 1620 I bought for just 278$. The listing wasn't the best in the world and it was in the wrong section. (Business and industrial) I know that if it was listed correctly, I would not have won it for that amount.

I Know it's frustrating to have an item that members will bid on due to a listed notice here. However, it's a community and the referral is appreciated.

OK let the bashing begin.....lol

Last edited by NeverObsolete : 06-25-2007 at 09:24 PM.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverObsolete
Like the Urei 1620 I bought for just 278$. The listing wasn't the best in the world and it was in the wrong section. (Business and industrial) I know that if it was listed correctly, I would not have won it for that amount.

Wow!!!!!

Let's see that mixer! (post pic)

I love ebay!