Links

Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-21-2003, 08:31 PM

DJing with live percussion, does it have a place?

I originally posted this on the general topics page but thought it might be better suited for the tech page.

Dj's with live percussion, what are you thoughts?
I plan on getting my friends who play hand drums and congas to drum to my DJing for maybe an hour or so at a club but I have never played along side percussion before and I want to make sure it flows and does not upset the mood of the dance floor or overshadow the music. So I plan on sitting the drummers between the speakers and balancing the PA volume to the percussion(with out micing up as the venue is 150 capacity) and also selecting tracks that have room for the drumming over the top.
Anyone got any thoughts? Does it have a place with DJs ?

FK I read that you onced drummed with Walter Gibbons, did it work? and have you tried it since?
Old 06-21-2003, 09:09 PM

Most certainly

You can definitely do this! Just make sure you dont get feedback from your mic, and adjust till it suits you. We used to do this at Warsaw on Miami Bch! If your percussionist is really good it will be a great enhancement!
Old 06-21-2003, 09:15 PM

funny you should ask this question

we are doing exactly this with a live percusion player tonite at Stereo in montreal with djs Alain vinet and Ricky Montanari, but this is wicked when done properly it is amazing but when overdone it is disasterous. But this has been done b4 for many years in clubs from way back, but what is amazing is a great keyboard player with a great dj when they are just vibing off each other i remember David cole at the Better Days with Bruce Forest that was incredable. So including live musicians is interesting.
Old 06-21-2003, 10:12 PM

drums

i did this a few times with fred the animal at sound factory bar and jet lounge. if you live in nyc they do this every thurs at tappist rouge on 1st and 1 ave, this add to a nite if the drummer can play on beat.
Old 06-21-2003, 11:21 PM

Using a mic

The venue I am playing is at most 100-150 people capacity and I was thinking if the drums are loud enough I can put them just in front of the speakers and not have to mic them up but if they need to be mic'ed up it would be best on stage behind the main speakers to avoid a time delay from the speakers in through the mic and back out again.

Keyboards would be easy because you juct go straight into the mixer.
I would have loved to have witnessed David Cole jamming with Bruse Forest that would have rocked!

Im also thinking that it would help for them to be familiar with the record's so they can anticipate the breaks etc
Old 06-22-2003, 08:17 AM

congas

A Shure SM 57 on a tripod angled down mid way between both drums is a starting point. Keep drummers away from speakers to avoid feedback. Eq the mic input also.

If the DJ can have eye contact with the percussionist then you can work out some nice interaction. Have fun!
Old 06-22-2003, 01:06 PM

Bang The Party

They do this at BTP all the time and it's dope, everybody vibes off eachother. For a small venue you can really have them set up anywhere w/o a mic. You'll be surprised how loud live percussion really is...
Old 06-23-2003, 10:23 AM

We did it last night and had no

problems with feedback and he was rt on the floor with those huge stacks kickin ass so there are no problems if yiou do this the rt way.
Old 06-25-2003, 10:37 PM

drums

I had a percusionist play along at both the Loft (200-300ppl) and Van Dome (400-700ppl) on south beach and it was great..This guy was freikin loud too,,no feedback problems...My favorite was just cutting the music out totally in the middle of a break and letting him go wild then mixing the beat back in,drove the crowd insane..Probably same guy Scott is talking about at Warsaw.
Old 06-26-2003, 01:25 PM

percussion

Done that too Frank. Simple stuff like this is great.

The SM 57 is a instrument mic good for stuff like this. I didn't have problems with feedback but lesser mics might give trouble.
Old 06-26-2003, 10:17 PM

Thanks guys

I'm really looking forward to this now(after reading all your posts) and I'll keep you all posted on how it goes, it will probably be in a couple of months as I want to get it tight before going out in public.
I have a couple of SM 57's so I think I'll do it the right way for more impact on the dance floor.