Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2005, 08:16 PM

Monitor Selection for Home Mixing

Well I have read about Mackie, EON, EV etc etc. As a home DJ I realize that I need some nice monitors. After reading I underdtand that the SMR Mackies can overheat. I understand the SM Mackie Series are much better but for me at home they look much to large. I was leaning towrad Tannoy Actives; the blue ones.

www.avalive.com/products/pdetail.php?pid=66489

You can buy a pair for about $650 dollars what do you guys think.

Thanks James
Old 12-07-2005, 08:40 PM

Or these www.samedaymusic.com/product--TNYREVEAL5A the newer 5A version. Im leaning toward the older ones.

Input ??
Old 12-07-2005, 08:51 PM

On second thought these newer 5A units look HOT

www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Reveal5A

Any input would be much appreciated
Old 12-07-2005, 10:12 PM

With speakers, you just gotta hear em to see what they sound like. Its really the only way!

But, I have heard the big Tannoy studio monitors, the dual concentric, and I liked them alot! Tannoy is a respected brand, I doubt youll go wrong with them, but you still have to go hear em and see for yourself!

Old 12-07-2005, 10:22 PM

Thanks Scott. Of everyone on this site, I value your opinion very much and would not want to make this kind of purchase without your advise. I like the price now I have to try to find somewhere to hear them.

Regards James
Old 12-09-2005, 11:54 AM

I have the Tannoy Reveals...the old ones.....I've been producing withe them for about 4 years now and I love them. But yes, speakers are very personal, it comes down to being what you are used to and what sound you like.....I still take my Tannoys with me whenever I go into big studios that have $20,000 Genelec systems, just to make sure I'm hearing what I think I'm hearing.....

I love my Tannoys.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:09 PM

I don't have them yet, but have a look at mackie's HR624 and HR824
Old 12-09-2005, 08:43 PM

a place here will sell me a used pair of 824's for about 700 but do they overheat. I read somewhere that Mackies overheat and shut down. Definately goind slow on this purchase
Old 12-10-2005, 01:11 AM

I think if it is for home install and will rarely be moved, go more hi-fi or old school studio than active set up...

nothing prettier than a bunch of old school, cosmetically & mechanically beautiful older gear...

I have a tube amp I will run my bullets with on ocassion -- I tell you the sounds and tone comming from 14WPC of an old tube amp is special -- especially when paired with era high sensitivity gear.

If you have a little patience and look around, you ,ay be able to get off significantly cheaper too, depending on your requirements.

look into it at least.

dsa_audio or Mistick Krewe or dave
Old 12-10-2005, 01:14 AM

tons of power and the latest technology may not be what you are looking for. IMHO

Old 12-10-2005, 01:26 AM

Your right on. I have an awsome system in the making buy my floor and sub are just too much. One tune rocked the system and was so stong I needed to adjust it with the cross over. The next track was so weak and limp. That is my problem, I just need something that is inexpensive and conistant.

Love James
Old 12-10-2005, 10:40 AM
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally posted by LuvLatins
a place here will sell me a used pair of 824's for about 700 but do they overheat. I read somewhere that Mackies overheat and shut down. Definately goind slow on this purchase

The Mackie that overheats sometimes are the SRM450 and it's not a nearfield recording monitor. A friend of mine had a pair of 824s and they weren't as neutral as studio monitors usually are, but it wasn't really a disadvantage. As a speaker for a home DJ setup I think they would rock They are a bit larger than the Tannoys you've been looking at, so they do play a little louder and I think they go a little deeper in the low end.

To add further to you confusion , I'd like to suggest checking out the Alesis M1 Active as well. It's a pretty small speaker with a large sound.

As always with speakers, like some have suggested before me in this thread, you need to get your butt out to a store that sells these speakers to judge for yourself. There's a bunch of those active monitors out there and on paper many of them offer the same performance.

/Daniel
Old 12-10-2005, 04:44 PM

Great advise thank you.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:25 AM

Send a message via MSN to RETRODISKO
I will go Tannoy

I Have Mcintosh Xl-3 for the Studio and also works fine to mix and listen music..

celestion? some model perhaps,

A pair of control 10 Also works fine if youre not so def

Last edited by RETRODISKO : 01-27-2006 at 10:09 PM.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:34 AM

Does anyone have any experience of Genelec monitors?

Anyone like them?

Peace

Jay
Old 12-12-2005, 12:12 PM
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally posted by jaysoul
Does anyone have any experience of Genelec monitors?

Anyone like them?

Peace

Jay

Genelecs in general are really great, especially the larger models, but even the smaller ones are in a slightly higher price category than what has been previously discussed in this thread.

/Daniel
Old 12-12-2005, 12:34 PM

Hey, thanks for the reply Daniels.

So are the Genelecs worth the money do you think?
Old 12-14-2005, 07:16 PM

...just did an unbelieveable deal on some 2nd hand Genelec 1032's (only 3 months old, from a studio that went bust) to rig up to the A&H and seriously, they are the best monitors I've ever heard, totally clean, deep sound and the 10" bass cones have more crank than I'll ever need... bought them on the basis of having used the 1031's in the studio, they are awesome speakers, but these are better still...

Couldn't contemplate buying them new though as they are insanely expensive... (1400 pounds each here in the UK!)

Old 12-14-2005, 07:34 PM

I agree, I like the Genelecs, but they are pricey!

If you got em for a good price, you did well, youll have em for along time to come!

it will be a Merry Musical Christmas!
Old 12-15-2005, 07:45 AM

...indeed! let's hope my neighbours are feeling festive
Old 12-15-2005, 12:52 PM
Samplaholic

Hey LL, unless you have to have a compact active monitor i would seriously consider some Yamaha NS-1000m. They better sounding and more accurate than anything available up to $2500/pr.They can usually be had for under $700 on ebay. Add a sub and you're spoiled for life. I'll include a pic.

Also just as a side note. Behringer (6 1\2 thru 8) , Genelec(5 1\4 thru 10), and Yamaha (5 1/4 thru 8) all use the exact same VIFA woofer and dome for thier latest monitors.
________
Handjob Vids
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yamaha-ns-1000m sm.jpg (20.0 KB, 401 views)

Last edited by nitred : 04-07-2011 at 02:42 AM.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:13 PM

no no no you NEED a SBS system for your house... but will probably only want two stacks...

spoiled for life... HA

Seriously -- I have heard good things about those Yamahas too, but vintage JBL or Altec is always good for me too...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shorty-white-pres574c7-web.jpg (15.5 KB, 1347 views)

Old 12-15-2005, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by unbroken1
...just did an unbelieveable deal on some 2nd hand Genelec 1032's (only 3 months old, from a studio that went bust) to rig up to the A&H and seriously, they are the best monitors I've ever heard, totally clean, deep sound and the 10" bass cones have more crank than I'll ever need... bought them on the basis of having used the 1031's in the studio, they are awesome speakers, but these are better still...

Couldn't contemplate buying them new though as they are insanely expensive... (1400 pounds each here in the UK!)

Soon I'll also have the same mixer (probably in 2 months' time) I'll send you a pic when I have the right furniture for it (I'll be designing a new console for it, as the one I have now wouldn't fit it so nicely)

Have u already heard Mackie's HR-824s ? I'm thinking about those... but it's never late to think of a pair of genelecs, even if I have to wait a few months more to get 'em...
Old 12-16-2005, 04:44 PM

Talking

I am a big fan of using studio monitors for home mixing. The only problem is that you become spoiled and mixing on the majority of club systems is a annoying compared to the studio.

Personally I find the Genelec monitors a bit bright and harsh. That is good for imaging but bad for prolonged listening. My current favorite is Dynaudio which is similarly priced. I got a great deal on a pair of M1.5 monitors and a Bryston amp and have never regretted it.

http://www.dynaudioacoustics.com/Default.asp?Id=283

If your budget is tight the Behringer monitors are surprisingly good for the money. The Mackies have great bass but are a little less clear. There are others with individual strengths and weaknesses. I would say, listen to them and decide on which ones you like. Most places with good monitor selections will also have UREI mixers so you can hear the combination together.

--Abyssus Abyssum
Old 12-16-2005, 08:56 PM

i experienced some dynaudio M1 monitors, accompanied by a subwoofer, driven by bryston, and i have to say it was a nice setup, but would not have been my choice for a studio. it appeared to me as being too warm and forgiving.

when we had less than average bands in the studio, we could always make them be satisfied by putting the urei compressor in as master compressor and play it all loud on the dynaudio, as this combination hided some of the flaws, but was able to get some warm rocks on the M1s, as they could handle quite a volume in this setup.

urei, bryston and dynaudio could turn shit into rock. that was good for customers satisfatction, but not really good for real audio die-hard satisfaction.

but maybe for dj use it's quite pleasing.

Last edited by grizz : 12-16-2005 at 09:01 PM.