Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-23-2005, 01:43 PM

This was Richard Frances Long

This was the man that we all must keep in our memory,the creator of our world!God bless him for the birth of our community! and his incredible contributions made to the nite club world.

www.gsany.com
www.gsany.jp
Photo courtesy of Gary Stewart
Attached Images
File Type: jpg richard frances long -courtesy of gsa.jpg (17.2 KB, 1300 views)

Last edited by garystewart : 09-06-2005 at 11:26 AM.
Old 07-23-2005, 02:48 PM

Yes

Man Im gettin old! Thats him way back when.....

Good picture, thanks for posting it!

Old 07-23-2005, 09:03 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to THE SAGA
RLA PROTOTYPE LOGO's

THE SMALL ONE WAS A PROTOTYPE THAT WAS TO GO ON ALL HIS CROSSOVERS AFTER THE X2000...AND LATER WERE MADE ABIT LARGER AND COLORED BLACK FOR ALL CROSSOVERS,LINE CONDITIONERS,AND EQ's..THE VERY BIG RAISED LOGO WAS PUT ON ONLY 3 UNITS WITH A SMALL RLA LOGO ON THE BACK OF THE UNIT ASWELL,,THE SMALL RAISED LOGO WAS ALSO PUT ON(3)OF THE BOZAKS HE DID...HE ALSO DID (3)1620's THAT WERE MADE FOR THE CONSOLES AS BACK UP UNITS..I SOLD MY RLA 1620 BACK UP TO DAVID AKA (LOUPED GAROU) HOPE ALL IS WELL DAVID..DAVE,I NEED YOUR ADDRESS AGAIN..I'M GOING TO SEND YOU(2)ITEMS OF RLA THAT I FOUND IN MY HOME THAT MAY MAKE YOU CRY.. I GOT THESE FROM HIM JUST BEFORE HI DIED...THESE WERE HAND DONE BY HIM,,I KEPT AFEW FOR MYSELF.. YOU JUST CAN'T SELL THIS STUFF..ALWAYS REMEMBER,ASIDE FROM GOD, MUSIC IS THE ANSWER, AND LOVE IS THE MESSAGE..PEACE

Last edited by THE SAGA : 07-23-2005 at 09:32 PM.
Old 07-24-2005, 10:53 AM

Re: RLA PROTOTYPE LOGO's

Quote:
Originally posted by THE SAGA
HE ALSO DID (3)1620's THAT WERE MADE FOR THE CONSOLES AS BACK UP UNITS..I SOLD MY RLA 1620 BACK UP TO DAVID AKA (LOUPED GAROU) HOPE ALL IS WELL DAVID..DAVE,I NEED YOUR ADDRESS AGAIN..I'M GOING TO SEND YOU(2)ITEMS OF RLA THAT I FOUND IN MY HOME THAT MAY MAKE YOU CRY.. I GOT THESE FROM HIM JUST BEFORE HI DIED...THESE WERE HAND DONE BY HIM,,I KEPT AFEW FOR MYSELF.. YOU JUST CAN'T SELL THIS STUFF..ALWAYS REMEMBER,ASIDE FROM GOD, MUSIC IS THE ANSWER, AND LOVE IS THE MESSAGE..PEACE

I will send you an email.....

the RLA 1620 is playing as I type, sunday morning mass you know.......

A7's and model 19,s for sound reinforcement with a pair of 075s for high end supplements........

None of my RLA gear will make it back into general circulation, maybe the Smithsonian someday though.... nice to have a day job to support my habit!

EDIT*****

everything is fine here in Denver, wife's been out of town for a week or so.... lot of critical listening time.....

dsa_audio or Mistick Krewe or dave

Last edited by louped garou : 07-24-2005 at 12:11 PM.
Old 07-30-2005, 04:26 PM

Wink RLA PROTOTYPE LOGOs

THESE ARE THE ALUMINUM PROTOTYPES..IF THE PICTURES DIDN'T DOWNLOAD,,I'LL TRY AGAIN..ONE DAY...PEACE
Old 08-20-2005, 10:52 AM

Richard Long

Believe
Old 08-23-2005, 02:52 PM

Re: This was Richard Frances Long

Quote:
Originally posted by garystewart
This was the man that we all must keep in our memory,the creator of our world!God bless him for the birth of our community! and his incredible contributions made to the nite club world.
Photo courtesy of Gary Stewart.
www.gsany.com
www.gsany.jp

Was he the first with install the Tweeterarray
with Jbl 2400 Serie?
Old 08-23-2005, 07:56 PM

Re: Re: This was Richard Frances Long

Quote:
Originally posted by Dieterj
Was he the first with install the Tweeterarray
with Jbl 2400 Serie?

from what I have read, I think that may be attributable to A Rosner on commission from D Mancuso.... but I dunno for sure....

taken from CSI 100 moments issue #15 1970....

"sonically, the Loft's defining moment moment was when Mancuso commissioned two tweeter array clusters..... used JBL bullet tweeter arrays"

Old 08-24-2005, 12:53 PM

Re: Re: Re: This was Richard Frances Long

Quote:
Originally posted by louped garou

"sonically, the Loft's defining moment moment was when Mancuso commissioned two tweeter array clusters..... used JBL bullet tweeter arrays"

oh, Mancuso had this System also.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:41 PM

Re: RLA PROTOTYPE LOGO's

Quote:
Originally posted by THE SAGA
THE SMALL ONE WAS A PROTOTYPE THAT WAS TO GO ON ALL HIS CROSSOVERS AFTER THE X2000...AND LATER WERE MADE ABIT LARGER AND COLORED BLACK FOR ALL CROSSOVERS,LINE CONDITIONERS,AND EQ's..THE VERY BIG RAISED LOGO WAS PUT ON ONLY 3 UNITS WITH A SMALL RLA LOGO ON THE BACK OF THE UNIT ASWELL,,THE SMALL RAISED LOGO WAS ALSO PUT ON(3)OF THE BOZAKS HE DID...HE ALSO DID (3)1620's THAT WERE MADE FOR THE CONSOLES AS BACK UP UNITS..I SOLD MY RLA 1620 BACK UP TO DAVID AKA (LOUPED GAROU) HOPE ALL IS WELL DAVID..DAVE,I NEED YOUR ADDRESS AGAIN..I'M GOING TO SEND YOU(2)ITEMS OF RLA THAT I FOUND IN MY HOME THAT MAY MAKE YOU CRY.. I GOT THESE FROM HIM JUST BEFORE HI DIED...THESE WERE HAND DONE BY HIM,,I KEPT AFEW FOR MYSELF.. YOU JUST CAN'T SELL THIS STUFF..ALWAYS REMEMBER,ASIDE FROM GOD, MUSIC IS THE ANSWER, AND LOVE IS THE MESSAGE..PEACE

you were right Steve, I almost cried......

Thanks a bunch....

there are RLA etching/numbering on the back but my pics didn't turn out
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rla plate small.jpg (50.7 KB, 705 views)

Last edited by louped garou : 09-12-2005 at 10:50 PM.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:36 PM

Thumbs up RLA PROTOTYPE LOGO's

HI DAVE, I'M GLAD YOU LIKE THEM...KEEP THEM SAFE..WHO KNOWS,MAYBE ONE DAY THEY'LL BE IN A RICHARD LONG MUSEUM WORTH BIG BUCKS...LOL I'VE GOT ONE THE SIZE OF A BELT BUCKLE,BUT THAT ONE BELONGS ON MY CONSOLE..ALWAYS REMEMBER,ASIDE FROM GOD, MUSIC IS THE ANSWER,,AND LOVE IS THE MESSAGE....PEACE
Old 10-19-2005, 01:08 AM
Banned

Thanks for

sharing these great pictures of Richard. But I was wondering if you have any pictures of yourself with Richard that you can share with us?

Last edited by Torry : 10-19-2005 at 01:10 AM.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:18 AM

Re: Thanks for

Quote:
Originally posted by Torry
sharing these great pictures of Richard. But I was wondering if you have any pictures of yourself with Richard that you can share with us?
Sorry Torry I do not thanks for asking.Do you have any?? of yourself with Richard if so we all would love to see them.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:36 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Thanks for

Quote:
Originally posted by garystewart
Sorry Torry I do not thanks for asking.Do you have any?? of yourself with Richard if so we all would love to see them.

No I do not have any pictures with Richard. But since you have pictures of him and you say you knew him, I thought that you would have some of yourself with him. Thank you

Last edited by Torry : 10-19-2005 at 10:19 PM.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:35 PM

Hello Torry!

How are you? I want to welcome you to Wave, and give you the opportunity to formally introduce yourself to our forum!

Where are you from, what do you do, what kind of sound are you into?

After all, if your going to grill our members about their life history, shouldnt you share are little with us, too?

How about it?
Old 10-20-2005, 05:17 PM

...this forum is extremely informative, but also incredibly weird sometimes...
Old 10-22-2005, 10:54 AM

just watching maestro again last night and noticed this picture....

Old 10-22-2005, 06:52 PM

This time I saw it coming.

Good to call him on it Scott, it was clear that he is not actually interested in pictures he just wants to try to point out that SAGA is possibly making up stories. Everyone likes to get after him for some dumb reason. I actually like him (whether he knew Richard personally or not is so not important) But I do wish he would STOP ALWAYS TYPING IN UPPER CASE

Old 10-22-2005, 06:56 PM

I was not watching close, OMG he was being a smart ass to Gary not SAGA. What an ass. If he did some research on GSA he would not have to even ask such a dumb question.

Hey Gary how is the baby doing ?
Old 10-22-2005, 09:58 PM
Banned

Hello

clubman5 How are you? I want to welcome you to Wave, and give you the opportunity to formally introduce yourself to our forum!

Where are you from, what do you do, what kind of sound are you into?

After all, if your going to grill our members about their life history, shouldnt you share are little with us, too?

How about it?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well I did not know that I had to do Q & A about myself to put posts on this board now. I just like to ask some questions to some people on this board that are supposed to be pros in this industry, so thats why I ask questions is that wrong?. That is why these sites are here, to interact and conversate correct? did I ask something offensive at any time?

Well a little something about myself and I wont get too personal. I am from the NYC area, I have been around for a very long time in this scene, I went to all the clubs in those days, I will not reveal my real age here.

I enjoy good sound. I like to ask questions about audio. Since when did asking 2 or 3 questions become grilling somebody? Gary is on this board quite frequent so I wanted to ask him some questions.

I ask some pros on this board questions, is that not what these boards are for ? so why is it when I ask some questions do some lash back at me, namely Gary, Gary are you angry that the questions that I ask you, why else would you get so defensive ?.

I read the last post that you put up in this thread, but it was late that night and I had to wake up the next morning early for work, so I could not reply to it that night. You were asking to stop the witch hunt and got very nasty twards me but I guess you deleted it.

Since when is asking 2 or 3 questions a witch hunt? If you do not want to answer than you should not answer them, you do not have to get nasty with someone that just wants to see pictures of you with Richard, that would have been cool or wants to ask you some questions.

I have even heard alot of your work and know your work pretty well. I do know a bit about Disco sound systems from hanging and Talking with some engineers in the past, and asking about there past experiences in the buisness and they did not get nasty with me, they just answered me and liked the fact that I wanted to learn a little bit about them and their craft without getting to much into details with them.

I read your reply on another thread on this board and that caught my attention and made me raise a eyebrow about you, and IF you were really there or not and knew who you say you really knew.

Your quote Gary, yes I knew Richard I met him in the booth at 54 this was a turning point in my life from being a musician to loving RLA type systems.OH yes I went to the PG and loved it I think about 15 times but I almost lived at 54 6 out of 7 nights a week 1980 until??.
Last edited by garystewart on 10-11-2005 at 11:48 PM

Gary, Studio was closed in that year, so how is this possible that you met Richard or Dick in that year in a club that was not even open? I never recall in those years 54 being open 6 days a week. I dealt with Mike Stone in those days he ran the promotions at Studio then, so I was very familiar with Studio in the 80s.

Another question you claim you went to PG 15 times, Did you have a membership to the Garage? because regular club goers off the street could not just get in that club and party, it was a private club open to members only, so since you visited that room as you say 15 times you must have been a member correct?

What instrument did you play? and style of music did you play?

Last edited by Torry : 10-23-2005 at 12:02 PM.
Old 10-22-2005, 10:18 PM

Torry let me have the pleasure of responding

First, this board is a very close group of friends. While I myself have been guilty of a cat fight or two, my disagreement was sincere.

Your questions, one or 300 was disingenuous it was designed to embarrass Gary and that was not nice. Gary and GSA is highly respected on this board. He is ALWAYS polite and courteous. I doubt strongly that he would ever say he knew or met Richard at 54 if that were not true.

Concerning Paradise Garage I went about 4 times and I was NEVER a member. You claim to have been to clubs like this. Then shame on you and you should know that is was VERY easy to just hang around out front and ask a member to take you in. It was a friendly crowd and it was easy. In fact, the most exclusive and stuck up club was the SAINT. It would even revoke the membership of anyone caught doing what I just said yet from 1984 to 1986 I did it hundreds of times until finally becoming a member in 1986.

Your attempts to veil your attack of Gary are transparent and not appreciated here. We all love Gary and Scott, (I believe he is now the moderator) got it right when he very nicely responded (sarcastically) that you should kewl it but you decided to continue. You wont state your age but even your knowledge of 54 is incorrect and shows how inexperienced you really are. Although 54 may have been officially closed. (wink) it did operate if you were invited by the right people. Just like Crisco Disco did not even possess a license to server alcohol it was open to the public.

Try being honest and no one here will have a problem. Admit that you donít believe Gary if you like but donít be disingenuous its not appreciated

Just my 2 cents
Old 10-22-2005, 10:30 PM

Well, well, look whos here! Torry, how the hell are you? No its not a sin to ask questions! 2 or 3 is ok, more can be even better! How about questions about audio, instead of Gary and Studio 54?

Pretty much everything you say is correct, Studio was closed in 80, so what? It proves nothing other than you were around then.

I dont mind questions, and no, you havent crossed the magic line of where you are really being offensive and talking things that you shouldnt, but do you have anything else to talk about other than Studio and who knew Richard?

Most people that come here seeking something in audio know how, do tend to talk a bit about what they like, and alittle bit about themselves! But, you, you just want to know about Gary!

If you do reach the point where you say something slanderous, or threatening, Ill have no problem with banning you from Wave!

So, watch your step!

Old 10-22-2005, 10:42 PM

BTW, Crisco had a charter! Thats how afterhours operated back then, the city used to issue charters to private clubs, and it was supposed to be membership only, and in the 70,s you had to buy tickets at the ticket window, and use them to get drinks! This system is called `scrip`, and the big legal deal was everything was cool as long as no cash was being handed across the bar! Crude but effective, you werent actually selling drinks or buying drinks!

Later on, like 80, they started taking cash at the bars!

Those were the days when you could get away with things in NYC!

Today, its a different ballgame!
Old 10-22-2005, 11:07 PM

FINALLY after all these years some one explains. I always thought it was so dumb. You gave money at this little window. Then you went to another window and little tickets used to come out and those were what you gave the bartender for a drink. I rememver saying, "This is so stupid" Finally someone who understands the madness. Loved the huge Crisco can also

Those were the days for sure and at the time we did not even realize it
Old 10-23-2005, 12:09 AM

Speaking of the booth at 54. OK its the older one but still kewl and I love Robbie in this picture he was so Skinny LOL

I remember when I was skinny like this too LOL

Speaking of the old days, I remember waiting until 3:30 am for grace jones to show up at the saint. She arrived at 6:45 am stoned out of her mind and sang La Vien Rose. To think we paid all that money and waited all night for here and she sang it totally hosed

HEHEHEHE still liked it (grin)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg robbie_54.jpg (32.9 KB, 380 views)