Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 05:41 AM

New Isonoe 3 way isolator

i thought some of you might be interested to know that isonoe have put their isolator into production. i'm lucky enough to have the first one.

i've used a dope real for the last decade, and been very happy with the results. the isonoe is a huge step forward sonically. what i'm looking for in an isolator is total transparency. it's an effect to use, but shouldn't colour the sound of the mixer. doing an a/b with the dope real showed just how much distortion the dope real was adding to the signal path. using the isonoe lifted the sound quality considerably. letting the sound of the mixer come through: bags more detail, separation and more life/musicality.

get in touch with justin for more info:

http://www.isonoe.com/contact.htm

the unit can have a phono stage included in it so that a turntable could be plugged straight in; allowing you to use two of them and have full eq on each tt with a classic rotary, if that's your thing.

http://www.meltingpotglasgow.com
Old 01-02-2013, 09:06 AM

looks cool. pricing?
Old 01-02-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estacy
looks cool. pricing?

not sure yet!

best bet to mail isonoe.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:47 PM

looking good. has it's own power supply?
Old 01-03-2013, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1620_nz
looking good. has it's own power supply?

my unit does, yes. it's the same psu that powers the urei. the other psu there is for my turntables.

of course, the new 3 way can also come with it's own built-in power supply, so that it's a stand alone unit.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:57 PM

For me, an effect unit should affect the sound as less as possible when not tuned. But it's a pity that no affection is not even possible with an isolator circuit. You can only avoid a bad coloration as far as possible.

And so we have a wide range of quality products that all sound different. Everyone likes a different device.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:39 AM

is a true bypass switch being incorporated not a possibility?

seems that would be doable, if a designer wanted it....
Old 01-04-2013, 12:17 PM

The biggest problem with a 100% true bypass function (switch/relay) in a critical part of the signal chain as the FX loop is as i see it is that you have no control over DC clicks/noise from the switch/relay.

But there are ways to get a very high quality signal switching using just a single OP and some FETs that adds nothing extra to the sound.

www.Bozure.com

On Facebook

Last edited by Pern : 01-04-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistick Krewe
is a true bypass switch being incorporated not a possibility?

seems that would be doable, if a designer wanted it....
Oh, no, that is not what I meant. I meant the sound coloration with all pots a 0 position, beeing able to be tuned.

A bypass should not color the sound, of course. But this won't be a useful feature I think.

It's just the thing that it is very very complicated to create an almost flat frequency response with a isolator filter circuit. And to flatten the phase response seems impossible

There are EQ cirquits with really flat frequency and phase response in 0 position (see rodec or hilevel mixers) and these units sound like the measurement/simulation results predict. But these EQs have a range of "only" +/- 12dB or something in this area. It's a totally different curcuit that is not applicable for isolators.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:19 AM

I agree with bossa_nolyx that FX units like ISOs should add no sound coloration when not used. But i do think that in general high quality signal switching (bypass) is the best way to do it since it removes all FX-components from the signal path.

In ISOs frequency/phase response is one thing but you still have the problem with the huge amount of components (resistors, caps, ICs) that the signal goes through. All ISOs have more components in the signal path than a 1620 mixer and that will affect the sound. But sometimes this is what we want, and with a bypass function everyone can choose what they prefer.

www.Bozure.com

On Facebook

Last edited by Pern : 01-05-2013 at 02:13 AM.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:42 AM

Of course, but in a club environment it is not helpful to get a change of sound everytime I switch the bypass on and off.

On the other hand... in a club environment the signal chain (with graphic equalizer, processing etc..) is so long and can compensate much of the sound coloration so that no bypass is needed....
Old 01-05-2013, 09:00 AM

Guess that very fast in/out switching could be a minor problem on some ISOs and that you might hear a little that the sound changes. But i think it's the fast switching that is the problem then
and not really that you change from ISO to bypass. One possible solution for that that i have been thinking about and will test is to add a DRY-WET function to the ISO so that you can do a slow
blend from full ISO to bypass when not using it.

www.Bozure.com

On Facebook
Old 01-05-2013, 09:04 AM

Yes, this would be a good feature. On the other hand the mixer could provide this. Like some do.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:10 AM

Wink

Why bother bypassing it?
When you use an Iso in a real life DJ situation, you don't want to even think about bypassing it, its in the FX loop and you wanna be free to grab it whenever the feeling takes.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:43 AM

If i use a minimalistic, almost audiophile mixer with only a few components in the signal path i personally don't like to have all those filters/components always in the signal path even when i'm not using the ISO. Think this is even more important if you have a minimalistic high-quality discrete mixer like yours :-) If i used a modern mixer with a lot of features like Pioneer etc., then i don't think i would need a bypass function.

But i do understand that some might not want it, guess it depends on if you use a ISO a lot or not also.

www.Bozure.com

On Facebook
Old 01-07-2013, 05:58 AM

Yep sure Pern, I've got a true bypass on the master EQ on my carmen mixer, it does not make a click when switched in or out either
Old 01-07-2013, 06:05 AM

Mehdi, I noticed that on your Facebook page and i think it looks great. If i wanted a Bozak mixer i would buy yours :-)

BTW: Is the sound from your mixer different with/without the EQ ? When i did simulations on the Bozak mixer for that it had more 2nd harmonics in the signal without the EQ.

www.Bozure.com

On Facebook
Old 01-07-2013, 07:19 AM

Thanks, It sounds very clean without the EQ (the EQ sounds nice tho), I've come away from the Original Bozak Design, I've implemented quite a few changes to the circuits and Balanced the outputs on Booth and master.

Any how sorry to Hijack your thread Andrew! The Iso looks great, im sure it will sound amazing!
Old 01-07-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehdi
Any how sorry to Hijack your thread Andrew! The Iso looks great, im sure it will sound amazing!

no worries, always good to have some discussion!

yup, the isonoe has lifted the performance of our system a lot. been meaning to do the bypass dem, but not got round to doing it yet!