Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2005, 12:00 PM

Club documentary DVD release July 26th

http://www.maestro-documentary.com/

Last edited by analogbass : 07-13-2005 at 09:40 AM.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:27 PM

if you all are into watching this kind of documentary...

try to find a copy of: "rise: the story of rave outlaw: disco donnie"

it came out a few years ago -- about one of the big promoters in New Orleans (in the 90,s/early 2000) and the ATF/DEA attempts to shut him down using the crackhouse laws.... I for one am glad the ACLU and Electronic defense fund stepped in and helped him in his efforts to fight the good fight....

gotta say that anything surrounding donnie typically had some drama there too.....

here is a blurb....
http://www.jivemagazine.com/article.php?pid=104

His were the first parties that I got to attend as a kid.... early 90s
before that I just hung out in the bars/clubs
they were put on by the "FreeBASS Society" and later Moon Patrol

dsa_audio or Mistick Krewe or dave

Last edited by louped garou : 07-12-2005 at 05:57 PM.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:30 AM
Senior Citizen

Did anybody see the movie when it was screening at the cinemas? Is it worth buying? I guess it is, but if somebody could make a review of it I would be a happy camper

/Daniel
Old 07-13-2005, 03:50 AM

I saw it

I saw it at the theatres when it was out and I thought it was great. I can't wait until it comes out on dvd so I can get some of the songs that were played in the doc. I have a few of them all ready before I saw the movie but now I want the ones I don't have. I saw it out here in Los Angeles and waited a very long time to see it. It was well worth the wait imo, I have been waiting a long time to get the dvd too. It was said that it was suppose to come out this passed xmas but no dice, then in June so now it's coming out at the end of July. Let's keep our finger's crossed. I hope this helps,
John
ps. I even purchased the poster and some t-shirts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mvc-001s.jpg (55.3 KB, 505 views)
Old 07-13-2005, 04:33 AM

Re: Club documentaries in theatres in July or DVD

Quote:
Originally posted by analogbass
http://www.maestro-documentary.com/

You can watch extra interviews of
David Mancuso
Alex Rosner
Frackie Knouckles
Tee Scott
About Ron Hardy
Loft and Garage Dancers
and Last not Least
Francois Kevokian (Can you hum the DUB?)

But I am not sure about US and other versions including extra dvd

peace
Old 08-04-2005, 05:35 AM

I just got the dvd

I took a look at the disk 2 and I found it very informative. I can't wait to take some time out to view the doc. again. For some reason some of the songs that you hear in the doc. are not on the sound track, fyi.
John
Old 08-04-2005, 11:51 AM

I got the dvd and watched the doc last night... watching that interview with Antonio Ocasio talk about Larry Levan and the Set me free/doves cry 'change' was pretty incredible.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:23 PM

I never had the chance to see this in the cinema as it was never screened here in denmark, so naturally I looked forward to the dvd release.

Got the dvd yeaterday and i must admit that I was pretty disappointed with the documentary. First of all the whole hype about this film had been raised so high mainly be the films website, that I more or less had the impression that this was finally going to be the epic documentary that told the true story, and surpassed everything previously made. Well, it's not. Just about the only new thing in there is the paradise garage footage which by the way is very interesting. The rest of the movie is the usual suspects talking about the same thing they did in all the other documentaries. And yes there are others. Don't get me wrong I have tremendous respect and admiration for Larry Levan and what he and others did at the time to lay the foundation for what we all love today but come on. At least the movie could have had another angle than the usuall almost godlike praise of him. We all know Larry Levan was the greatest. He cannot get any bigger by letting us hear garage patrons and other legends say it yet again. Of course there are other topics in the movie but to be blunt the movie editing is just so poor that you more or less fail to get the big picture. Here's an example. At some point you see Tom Moulton talking about the first 12 inch and how it was concieved. He ends by saying that 10 Percent on Salsoul was the first commercial 12 inch. And then the background music fires of Atmospheric Beats by Kerri Chandler!!??? It makes no sense. And throughout the movie the music just randomly blends in and out with no apparent meaning. And finally the quality of the different interviews is just so changing that it ends up tiring the viewer. I mean one minute you have an excellent interview with Francois K with proper sound and all, only to switch to an interview with 20 old patrons in the street at night time where everyone talks louder than the other to praise themselves and Larry Levan.
In short the movie fails to maintain a red line through it all and thus fails miserably at telling anything else than what everyone just remotely in touch with house music didnt already know.

If you wan't to get this on dvd, get it for the bonus disc which does indeed have some nice interviews and backgounders. Maybe because they're mostly unedited.

I'm sorry to have to lay it down like this but I was just so badly disappointed by Maestro.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:18 PM

I was also disappointed with Maestro, mostly because it seemed to make little effort to be interesting or entertaining to those outside the house scene.

Of couse it's not up to me to define what "mission" was behind the making of a film, but I think it would have served a higher purpose if it was more accessible to a "general" audience.

http://www.markandrus.com
Old 08-10-2005, 09:54 PM

Maestro was uneven, but I did enjoy many of the interviews. Forum regular Joey Madonia makes an appearance, too.