Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2003, 08:14 AM

Need gear tips

Hi everyone,

First of all thanks for all the knowledge you have all given me within the last year. Reading all the the exciting discussions on hardware made me wan't to experience really great sound myself, so I have slowly started to update my home system bit by bit. First off I got a Bozak cma-10-2dl, had it updated by mario to a DLA with booth output, and boy did that make a difference from the Vestax I used to have. :-)

The gear I currently have is:

Console:
3 1200mk2
The Bozak Mixer
1 dbx 120x-ds bass enhancer
SECA SE13 13-band stereo EQ
Pioneer EFX-500

Speakers:
Energy C4 Connaisseur

Amp:
Sherwood(Can't remember the model)

My question is:
I'm looking to replace the Pioneer and since I mainly use the isolator and the delay effect, I was hoping that some of you could point me in the right direction.

As I only have a set of fullrange speakers I guess I wont be able to use a crossover as my way of eq'ing. Unfortunately my living room wont fit 2 bass horns, midrange and tweeters. :-) Is there any 3-way eq/isolator out there that you could recommend. Preferably one that can be rack mounted.

And then the delay. What would you recommend. I guess some kind of studio delay would give me the best sound. But then again if it's to complicated to program it's not much use when you dj.

Looking forward to you replies.

All the best from denmark.
Morten
Old 06-10-2003, 10:33 AM

Send a message via ICQ to mattu
isolator

The only one that springs to mind, besides the Vestax that I'm sure you don't want, is the Furman PQ-3. It has a -40dB cut which I reckon is adequate for most situations. However, I have never tried it in a sound system, only on instruments but it sure is wild. Go to www.furmansound.com for info on that one.
Gary Stewart (www.gsany.com) makes a Q5000 equalizer/isolator but I don't know more about that one than the next guy. I'm sure Scott or Shorty knows more than I do. I stand corrected, but I also believe Philasound makes a similar one (www.philasound.com).
Of course, there's also the rumoured monster EQ that Scott and Shorty are making at the moment, but it seems like it's going to cost you more than your Bozak...

If you're somewhat handy with a soldering iron you could always try make one yourself...
Old 06-10-2003, 10:39 AM

vestax isolator

Oh, another thing:

If you're not picky and you could go with a Vestax isolator, I could point you towards a 2nd hand DCR1200 (19" rackmount) here in Sweden for the meagre sum of 875SEK ~ 713DKK ~ 96EUR plus shipping. It's in Lund, close to the Danish border so you could always drive there and pick it up if you want to.
Old 06-10-2003, 10:58 AM

Furman

Mats,

Quite right. I don't want the vestax. :-)

The Furman PQ-3 looks great for studio use. Obviously I can't judge the sound from just seeing it but it looks to crowded for dj use. What I would really like was to have a unit with controls similar to the 3-way crossover(X-3000 or dsx-3000 etc). I like the fact the I have just the 3 knobs, bass, mid and treble. nothing more actually.

Some time ago there was a similar post on eq's and x-overs. Someone suggested to use the x-over that mario sells, the dsx-3000 i think. It made me wonder if that x-over could actually be used as an eq. I guess it would require the unit to have a full range output that was affected by the controls. I'm not shure if that is the case. Anyone?

As for the GSA and Phila sound units. Chances of actually listening to them before choosing a unit, I guess would be slim as I live across the atlantic. I don't think my local dealer would order one so that I could listen to it. :-)

Wouldn't it be great to just have the money to buy a unit, listen to it, and if you don't like it, scrap it and try something else. :-)
Old 06-10-2003, 11:03 AM

Vestax

Well, if no other options are available to me, I might be inclined to use the vestax. I'll get in touch if thats the conclusion.

Thanks.
Old 06-10-2003, 11:29 AM

Furman unit

What you could do with it, if you're handy, is to open up the unit, fix the controls at certain frequencies, set the bandwidth fairly broad, and make a new face plate with only the dB controls visible. Of course, that takes some work but it's possible.
Old 06-10-2003, 12:15 PM

x-over

as for the x-over, you could of course disconnect all the internal crossovers in your speakers and put one amp for each frequency range. I'm guessing your speakers have a woofer, a mid range and a tweeter - so you could have a 3-way crossover and just feed 3 amps going into each pair of speakers. exactly how that works, what the drawbacks are, and as for any possible errors, I wouldn't be able to tell you as I've never tried that type of thing.
Old 06-10-2003, 01:19 PM

Creativety

Actually the energy speakers are only 2-way speakers, capable of bi-amping though. Essentialy it would be ideal to get 3-way speakers, 3 amps and a 3-way crossover but doing all that at once would financially set me back quite alot. I like the way my speakers sound, and I did actually thought of bi-amping them but that still doesn't do much in regards to using a 3-way crossover. :-)

Old 06-10-2003, 05:18 PM

here is an idea

I'm not sure if this would help you out but this is what i do when im in school. For my system in a small room I run my Bozak into mario's 3 way. From the full out i have a Crown D 60 running some small Bose bookshelf speakers. The high runs into an old Marantz reciever wich is hooked up some JBl 2405's. The sub out goes to a 12" powered sub. Not sure if it helps at all but it was a low cost way of incoperating the 3 way. When i'm home and have more room i switch the crown to the highs and run full to a old Hafler DH 500 that goes to a 15 and a JBL 2461 1 inch driver on a horn. I use the same sub for the lows. Soon i'm going to get an old crown VFX crossover on the full to get lows out of it which should help out alot. Again I'm not sure if this is something you would consider doing but it was pretty low cost and sounds good and gives me the control i was looking for. Also on a side note the vestax sounds like crap. I got one the other week for $50 dollars used at Guitar center during some super sale they had so i figured i'd give it a shot. Any way as soon as i put it in my loop i got a hum in my system that i previoulsy didn't have and the sound was degraded. I could only stand it for about an hour. Now its in my closet. I figure i'll hold on to it and see if someone figures out how to mod it or something.

Allen
Old 06-10-2003, 05:19 PM

If you are willing to use the vestax

If you are willing to use the vestax which does'nt sound good, contact GSA and get some specs. You'll have a 3 band for ea. channel and IMHO it sounds and feels good...

My .02 cents
Old 06-10-2003, 08:15 PM

Hhmmm

Well, as I said the vestax is a very very last resort.

Allen, your suggestion doesn't actually seem that expensive. Maybe I should look into replacing my speakers.
If I got a 3-way speaker, would it be possible/reasonable to run the full out from the 3-way x-over into another x-over and have only the mids returned from that. That way I would be able to run a regular 3-way speaker with the 3-way x-over?

Quite alot of "3-way's" there. :-)
Old 06-10-2003, 08:47 PM

Mario's x-over

Can the crossover points on Mario's x-over be adjusted or are they preset?
Old 06-11-2003, 03:09 AM

Marios xover

The xover points are preset internally with resistors. if you want different xover points contact mario, and he can have them changed for you.