Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-13-2001, 09:39 AM

New Stanton carts

Anyone actually tried / heard the new 890 rm's?

Stu.
Old 11-13-2001, 01:41 PM

New stanton carts

Not yet. i'll ask around and get back on whatever info I can root up.
Old 11-14-2001, 03:38 PM

Stanton 890's

Got this from the usenet, hope it helps:

In article <3756CDB6.223DD7EC@snez.net>,
Griffin <ian@snez.net> wrote:

I personally have never heard any "DJ-type" phono cartridge that sounded better than a Stanton 890. The output level isn't such a big deal as long as you have enough available gain in your mixer to compensate...and as long as you're using the same cartridge on all turntables in your system.

One negative thing I recall about the 890's...they seemed more prone to breakage than the lower-end Stantons. (This is going back to about 1990-91, the last club I worked in that used the 890's...they eventually got so frustrated with the frequent breakage and the high stylus-replacement costs, as well as the relative difficulty of finding the 890 styluses, that they regressed to using 680's). And this was *not* a club with scratch DJ's, either.

-Mark

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't.
Old 03-19-2002, 04:19 PM

stanton carts

guess what! stanton is not stanton anymore they were bought by a company in hollywood fl. and it isnt the same. However do not despair there is a company named Grado who manufacture a wide range of cartridges even a dj model and there stuff sounds supreme I personally use the grado golds and referance platinums. They do have reasonably priced dj models that blow away stanton or ortofon. try em!
Old 03-30-2003, 06:37 PM

Stanton 890's

wow, the stuff you find when rooting around message boards...

The text about the Stanton 890's was written by me years ago on rec.audio.pro, long before the 890's were re-introduced.

Anyway, I've been using the "new" 890's and have been pretty happy with them...even with the spherical stylus, the sound is smooth and clean compared to most "DJ" cartridges.

I'm rather wary of trying the new Grado DJ cartridges because everyone I know that has mentions they break too easily.

http://www.markandrus.com
Old 04-02-2003, 01:29 PM

Grado

I recently bought the much hyped Grado DJ100... It sounds good but it's too frail.... They CONSTANTLY skip... I've adjusted and readusted tonearm height weight anti-skate.. No help.... In my opinion, they're no good for REAL DJ use.
Old 04-03-2003, 04:35 AM

Grado DJ200

I've had my GRADO DJ200 for a couple of months now, and I have never had any problems with them skipping.

I have my needle preasure set at only 2.5g.

Sound wise I find them way better than the Ortofon Concordes I had before. Everything on the record sticks out crystal clear.

I don't mean to be rude or anything but are you sure you have balanced the arm correctly?

/Morten

Old 04-03-2003, 12:40 PM

Cartridge advice

Don't forget to align the cartridge in the headshell correctly. Don't just shove it to the end of the sloted holes. If you do this you will crate tracking errors, as the tonearm tracks the record the needle will be at the wrong angle in relation to the groove. Use the white alignment tool or check out a cartridge protractors used with Hi Fi decks.

Set tone arm height to Technics manual recomendation. This should mean that the arm is approx level when playing.

Don't use the extra rear weight, sounds stupid but I have seen dozens of decks with these still attached.

2.5 to 3.5g at a guess will be enough.

Make sure your decks are level with a spirit level.

Even a 10 Audio Technica cartridge will track well if you are doing all the above. This info can be used to help with scratch mixing it should allow you to scratch with your foot if you wanted! The Grado's probably have less copmpliance in the suspension than a 500al or such like but I doubt if they are that skippy compared to others.
Old 04-03-2003, 12:44 PM

More info

The anti skating will have very little influence on whether a cartridge skips or not.

If you were scratching you should set at zero, so that says it all really.

I can explain what anti skating does but I'm sure somebody on the forum has said before.