Labels
Distributed Labels
Links

Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-27-2003, 02:23 PM

Meters; What should I look for....

...as far as specs and do any of the esteemed experts here have any recommendation??? I would be including it in a home setup.. so nothing too extravagant or expensive. Thank you.
Old 02-28-2003, 02:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to edwardcampbell Send a message via MSN to edwardcampbell
Furman

Furman makes a pretty nice unit and it is reasonably priced. If you can find an old Uni-Sync or Audio Technology they are good just as well.
Old 02-28-2003, 03:06 PM

audio meter

Hi John, I have an audio technology meter for sale email me and make me an offer on it. frank@deejayfrank.com
Old 03-05-2003, 11:36 AM

Confusion

Sorry for the confusion, I want to make myself more clear. I was actually looking for signal level meters. The type that logitek make. The only other company that I know who makes them are American DJ.

I've never heard of Audio Technology or Uni-Sync. Do they make the type of meters I'm asking about? Are they good quality? Are there any other manufacturers I should be looking at?? As far as Furman, I thought they specialized in power conditioners!!???
Old 03-05-2003, 12:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to edwardcampbell Send a message via MSN to edwardcampbell
Signal Level Meters

Some of us have doing audio for 20 years plus and if we give you companys to look for trust us we know what we are talking about, if I were you I would contact the gentlemen with the Audio Technology meters. Furman does make a unit and its very ggod. If you can find one. Its well built and rack mountable just like a Uni Sync.
Old 03-05-2003, 04:09 PM

Thanx

Thanx all. I did a web search for Audio Technologies and Uni-Sync looking for more detailed info on their products but came up blank. But from previous post, I know you guys know your gear. I just wanted to be sure I expressed my question clearly. Again, thanx all for the help.
Old 03-05-2003, 05:25 PM

METERS

If you are serious about metering I recommend DK ANALYSERS. They cost mega-bucks, but there are black and white units that can be found for approx $500US. These have most of the functions of the colour ($3000US) units. You get: Vectorscope (like a 3d oscilloscope), FFT/third-oct spectrum analysis, TRUE RMS PPM/VU etc etc. SSL/NEVE/AMEK fit DK meters to their high-end consoles as standard, enough said! You can find their website if you search for DK AUDIO DENMARK.

Bozak CMA 10-2-DL Full Rebuild

How Mixer Level Controls Work

Important Differences Between Types of Bozak
Old 03-06-2003, 02:20 AM

Furman meters

Here's some info about Furman meters:

http://www.silverflight.com/au/proce...plays.htm#vu40

There must be more brands out there. I find it surprising how few options there are in this category.
________
HOMEMADE MARIJUANA VAPORIZERS

Last edited by tlack : 09-18-2011 at 04:56 AM.
Old 03-06-2003, 06:01 AM

DK Audio Meters

Seeing as you mention that the meter is for your home setup, I would go with the American DJ Meters. They are cheap and does the job. And they only take up 1 rackspace.

As for the DK Audio Meters. I live in Denmark, where DK Audio has is production, and over here the MSR for the Audio Meters start at $1200. Not what I would call a price for the average home setup. They are very good though, but in my opinion complete overkill for a regular DJ setup. They are aimed primarily at Studio and Broadcast use. The are analyzers as well, and have an oscilloscope combined with the meter.
Old 03-10-2003, 12:46 PM

Dorrough Meters

also look into Dorrough meters...
Old 03-14-2003, 06:34 PM

bgw750 model flavors

Since I have a BGW and like it, and a-lot of others out there love them as well. I was hoping we could share our experiences and try to figure out what the sonic and power differences exist between the different 750 models.

Personally, I have a BGW8000 proline II.
It is a great amp, nice solid controlled bass, full mids and pretty good highs. It is very quiet, and seems to make no noise of its own whatsoever. It has a 3-led display for left and right, and 2 pots on the front. The led(s) are green, yellow, and red (clip). I have yet to hear any noticable distotion from it, even with the clip lights blinking slightly at 4 or 8 ohms stereo. I believe the stereo rating for the 8000 is 225 at 8, 325 at 4 & 425 at 2 ohms.
These figures are from Shorty, and sound right from what I remember when contacting BGW years ago about it.

I'm thinking about upgrading to a 750 and am wondering what people's thoughts are on the different versions a,b,f,g? etc Are the newer versions more powerful?

P.S. I've done some playing around with my 15" rear-loaded horn enclosure "scoop", changing the inside around and adding an additional curved section. I'll poste pics when I can find a place to put them.

Mark
Old 06-20-2003, 09:42 PM

BGW 8000 Proline ll

Hey All, I recently obtained a BGW 8000 Proline II Amp, And I was wandering if any of you people had any info on it, your help would be much apprieciated!!
Old 11-01-2009, 09:22 PM

Anyone have any pictures of the Unisync PMS-1 or any other Unisync metres?

I can't find a thing online but there's someone selling one in town here for $40
Old 11-01-2009, 10:58 PM

While we are on the topic of meters, I just purchased a American Audio meter which is perfect for me. Cost me $50 and works a treat. But I read the manual yesterday and it said not to hook up an amp to the output on the meter, only hook it up to another meter. Why would this be? Kinda strange. Has anyone else seen this?
Old 11-02-2009, 01:07 PM

I have the same one i picked up last month for $50, i have it hooked up via tape out from the 1620. I also saw that memo too on the manual.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:42 PM

Probably cause it colors the audio. Most people will use their unbalance output for the meters, while using their balanced output to feed the amp. (In the case of a Bozak)
Old 11-02-2009, 04:23 PM

....either that or use a Y connector to feed both amp and meter off of the mixer..... in most cases
Old 11-03-2009, 02:51 AM

Answering my own question

The guy from Craigslist sent me some pics so I thought I'd share these pics of a truly forgotten piece of gear: the Uni-Sync PMS-1 Metering System

Now, can anyone tell me how I'm supposed to hook this up? The rear connections are speaker terminals!

http://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik...disp=inline&zw
Old 11-03-2009, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmenianSoul
I have the same one i picked up last month for $50, i have it hooked up via tape out from the 1620. I also saw that memo too on the manual.

Yeah I'm running my from tape out too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdbo
Probably cause it colors the audio. Most people will use their unbalance output for the meters, while using their balanced output to feed the amp. (In the case of a Bozak)

Yeah saw this in a club with a Urei. Recorded post VU as well and seemed to sound fine.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:23 AM

i have some analog meters that were designed to be used as in/out...

locallly made custom jobs by/for a now defunct video duplication/supply service...
they are clones of a panasonic design that panasonic had discontinued, but with outboard PSU
in place of a parasitic power supply from the duplicator unit...

http://www.videosystemstrading.com/specprod/sam960.html

Last edited by Mistick Krewe : 11-03-2009 at 11:40 AM.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:58 AM

The T-VU Meter (€260) http://www.thomann.de/fr/the_tmeter_..._peakmeter.htm

Plugged in one of the Tape output.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbc
Yeah I'm running my from tape out too.
Yeah saw this in a club with a Urei. Recorded post VU as well and seemed to sound fine.

But doesn't the tape out bypass the main volume levels?
Old 11-04-2009, 12:14 AM

If your running it off the tape out or split off the master, you would think you would be fine with a cheaper one as it can't effect anything. or can it???
Old 11-04-2009, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lime Twig
But doesn't the tape out bypass the main volume levels?
Yeah i was just thinking that!!!! Most tape/record outputs are Pre-Master..
Old 11-04-2009, 05:33 AM

Yeah it's pre master, but I work the master up and down a lot at home, so it wouldn't be useful for me on the master. I wanted to see the affect my isolator and reverb was having on my levels and this way it works for me.