Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2004, 12:05 AM

Update on theeeee Isolater

This week 10 of the prototype boards and the parts were shipped out to complete & assemble the prototypes for my Isolater.

Our due date to have some prototypes assembled & completed is by the 3rd week of November, so they can be demoed & used for the 6 year annerversery of Stereo, which is the last weekend of November. These prototypes will be auditioned by Frankie Knuckles and David Morales, who better than that to demo these units then these 2 legends, so they will let me know what there likes and dislikes are so the appropriate changes can be made IF changes need to be made so they are 100% before release.

As we speak we are getting all the world wide marketing, distribution prepared and ready & new dealers set up, so once they are ready for release & all the proper advertising has been done the orders can be put in and we will be able to start delivering.

I am gettin hit with alot of emails about this unit & I will post in the next few weeks where we are at with this unit, and I will do a follow up post aswell on how it performs in Stereo.

In the next few weeks I will post only some of the features of this unit, when the units are ready to get released that is when i will give a rundown of exactly what this piece is really about & what manufacturer is behind this unit with me.

This unit is not just an isolater its a very unique and interesting processor that is very neccessary for djs/producers/sound contracters and sound engineers.

We will also be releasing a full product line of a very wide range of hiend products following the isolater, we have on the table appox 6-8 different products that will be very interesting and very necessary for the DJ/Sound engineer/contracter market, that will be available soon after the isolater hits the streets.
More to come Stay tunned
www.systemsbyshorty.com

Last edited by soundmanshorty : 11-06-2004 at 11:23 AM.
Old 11-06-2004, 01:10 PM

???????????????????

????????????????

Last edited by clubman5 : 11-06-2004 at 01:42 PM.
Old 11-07-2004, 01:07 PM

Should be interesting to see how it stacks up with some of the other good stuff coming out from Dope Real, Vestax, DUO, Allen & Heath. Lots of good choices, hard to decide!

Last edited by analogbass : 11-07-2004 at 01:47 PM.
Old 11-07-2004, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by analogbass
Should be interesting.... Lots of good choices, hard to decide!

I agree completely

dsa_audio or Mistick Krewe or dave
Old 11-07-2004, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Should be interesting to see how it stacks up with some of the other good stuff coming out from Dope Real, Vestax, DUO, Allen & Heath. Lots of good choices, hard to decide!

Yikes, not sure Vestax belongs in the same sentence as the rest of those.
Old 11-08-2004, 01:00 PM

ya!

Quote:
Originally posted by jnkarrik
Yikes, not sure Vestax belongs in the same sentence as the rest of those.
I have to agree, and add to this!

The Vestax is not in the same league as either the Duo, or Shortys unit!

Nor is the Dope Real! The Dope Real found its favor by being better than the Vestax, which is no great feat as this wasnt hard to accomplish at all, but the Dope Reals big flaw is its flimsy power supply! This is why the Dope Real sounds winded and tired after a few hours of running!

The Duo sounds good, very good, for the hour and a half that I listened to it!

Shortys piece? I will get to hear this as soon as he has it, and I know the sound of the gear the company thats making this piece, so it should also be good, very good!

I know for a fact that both of the units, Duo and Shorty, are aimed at giving the DJ a unit that is true high quality audio. Whereas the Vestax is more of an effects unit designed to fit into a certain pricepoint, and ultimate fidelity was never really a design criteria! The Duo and Shorty isolators design criteria was in fact to give the club/DJ an Isolator effects unit with the audio quality of recording grade gear!

So, in my honest opinion, Duo and Shorty are the two " Real " contenders, they both differ in their design approach, but are both well thought of and highly regarded circuits. Which sounds better? Gotta wait and see! Im on line like everyone else.

Old 11-09-2004, 03:46 AM

If they're both good it would be a great improvement over what's out there and long overdue. Then it'll boil down to price IMO.

Last edited by analogbass : 11-09-2004 at 03:51 AM.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:01 PM

more than that!

Quote:
If they're both good it would be a great improvement over what's out there and long overdue. Then it'll boil down to price IMO.
They will both have their own unique sonic signature! I have heard the Duo, its really good!

The company thats making the isolator for Shorty, I am familiar with their sound, too! And its really good, but the two units will not sound identical to each other.

You will have to decide for yourself which you like, its like cars, this guy a likes BMW 745, that guy a likes Mercedes S500!

Last edited by clubman5 : 11-09-2004 at 06:46 PM.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:34 PM

mercedes

i would go for an old mercedes. at least 15 years old. without all that modern electronic stuff in it that freaks out too easyly.
Old 11-09-2004, 06:16 PM

Open your mind bro, these new ones are the sh--.
Old 11-09-2004, 06:55 PM

Re: mercedes

Quote:
Originally posted by grizz
i would go for an old mercedes. at least 15 years old. without all that modern electronic stuff in it that freaks out too easyly.
Neither of the two Isolators being brought to market, have any logic controlled functions, nor any DSP signal processing, so they, either one of them, have no little digital minds to lose, or freak out!

Both units are in the traditional style of analog audio gear, and will not become glitchy!

Its going to come down to what sound you prefer, and the features and flexibility of the Isolators and what your needs dictate.

It,ll be nice having what I consider to be good choices for a change!

But you guys are going to have to listen and make your own decisions as to which one you want, I cant do it for you!

Old 11-16-2004, 06:44 AM

Re: ya!

Quote:
Originally posted by clubman5
I have to agree, and add to this!

The Vestax is not in the same league as either the Duo, or Shortys unit!

Nor is the Dope Real! The Dope Real found its favor by being better than the Vestax, which is no great feat as this wasnt hard to accomplish at all, but the Dope Reals big flaw is its flimsy power supply! This is why the Dope Real sounds winded and tired after a few hours of running!

The Duo sounds good, very good, for the hour and a half that I listened to it!

Shortys piece? I will get to hear this as soon as he has it, and I know the sound of the gear the company thats making this piece, so it should also be good, very good!

I know for a fact that both of the units, Duo and Shorty, are aimed at giving the DJ a unit that is true high quality audio. Whereas the Vestax is more of an effects unit designed to fit into a certain pricepoint, and ultimate fidelity was never really a design criteria! The Duo and Shorty isolators design criteria was in fact to give the club/DJ an Isolator effects unit with the audio quality of recording grade gear!

So, in my honest opinion, Duo and Shorty are the two " Real " contenders, they both differ in their design approach, but are both well thought of and highly regarded circuits. Which sounds better? Gotta wait and see! Im on line like everyone else.

what about mario's latest rla clone? never really heard anyone talk about it.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:37 PM

Re: Re: ya!

Hello All,

Regarding the crossover...

There are about 20-25 units left. You must remember this is a system crossover not isolator. We have gone threw this in a diff. post. What I will say is you must hear this unit for yourself. I will give you a 15 day return policy with a full refund excluding shipping. Any further questions email me at djmariog@aol.com

Thanks
Mario G.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rla croped.jpg (53.9 KB, 527 views)
Old 11-25-2004, 01:13 PM

where can i get some information about this DUO unit?
Old 11-25-2004, 02:31 PM

Please check out: www.duo-audio.com for more information. Production units are rolling right now and will be shipping in the next couple months. Demonstrations can be scheduled before you purchase. This unit has been built to preserve the musical integrity of your recordings and not for a harsh filter effect. This way you keep a more natural sound to the music.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gamma.jpg (44.0 KB, 408 views)

Last edited by dancindave : 11-25-2004 at 03:04 PM.
Old 11-25-2004, 04:50 PM

Duo Audio

I have a question. Would the Duo audio be most likely to be installed in the effect loop of Bozak or Urei on jacks, I would expect this is the correct and best way?

I do not believe the Duo has a phono riaa pre amp inside, didn't the system by shorty design have a phono amp inside?

Anyway the real question is if a RLA or Mario's type DJ crossover is to be used with,instead of or in addition to the filter type of Duo and SBS. I do have the option to run bullet arrays and sub bass under seperate control but is such a option just too much in the signal path and a unwanted ergonomic confusion?

I do feel the need for a good boost of lower frequencys on weaker recordings sometimes but nobody ever seems concerned about subsonic feedback through the decks using such a boost. Perhaps a perfectly suspended deck arrangement is the only option for good results.

Can the people with those big installs answer?

Dave
Old 11-25-2004, 06:46 PM

You would run the DUO 3 way in the effects loop of the mixer. There is no phono preamp inside the unit. An external phono preamp can easily be installed to accommodate multiple units.

I've always felt that the less components in the sound path the better. Having an active crossover is a must for any large scale system. Which kind you use and how you use it is up to you. The RLA style crossovers are excellent to run for direct control over the sub-bass, full range and tweeters. You could also have a set-and-forget style crossover and use the DUO 3 way unit for sound attenuation. Having an RLA style crossover with the DUO unit can also be done. I've heard this before and it works fine.

Last edited by dancindave : 11-26-2004 at 06:42 PM.
Old 11-25-2004, 07:48 PM

Duo Audio

Thanks Dave

Perhaps the usual audio fanatics can describe the effects and tricks on the audio using these tools within the context of club systems. Again I would be interested in the amount of bass gain which can be added before feedback to beef up old disco.

About as far as isolation goes I have only gone as far as using those Rane eq on 2016 etc and they where fairly effective in a novelty sh**e sounding sort of way. The boost aspect of the Rane mixer didn't really add anything to the sound apart from more nasty sounds.

I've Kept my system top end pro quality in a older and heavy style (BSS/Crown/QSC/JBL/Bozak) so fitting the likes of Vestax in the mix just isn't ever going to happen.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:03 PM

Well just by the raw specs, the DUO 3 way gives a solid +12db of gain when you push it with less than 0.20% Total Harmonic Distortion, so you will be able to get the big bass without the doo-doo sound experienced by other units. If you add in the 3 way active crossover and use it to push the subs you will have more of the sub bass. The advantage of having the DUO unit in the effects loop is that it will affect both the sub-bass and the full range speakers, so you will have an overall gain in the bass when you push it whether you have a RLA, or conventional style crossover.
Old 11-26-2004, 10:33 AM

Boost

You can use a cut/boost EQ to push up certain frequencies, and you can push them within reason, you know you have problems if your hearing rumble!

Or if your are clipping your amps too hard, or if you hear your drivers bottoming!