Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-20-2006, 01:27 PM

Effects Processors

Hi,

I'm out to buy a quality effects processor for DJ use. Any recommendations?

Thanks
Sebastian
Old 06-20-2006, 08:14 PM

I have a Pioneer EFX500 and highly recommend it.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastianB
I'm out to buy a quality effects processor for DJ use.

There's nothing I can wholeheartedly recommend, and I've tried most, if not all, of them.

A lot of people seem to like the Pioneer units, and they do have nice easy-to-use interfaces and features. The problem is the sound quality. The EFX-500 to me sounds fairly terrible...the newer EFX-1000 is a noticeable improvement (especially in terms of graceful handling of high input levels) but definitely does not live up to the "24-bit/96k" quality they advertise. I tried three samples of the 1000 and they all had the same "digital noise" at a level that was noticeable either on a good system or in headphones (loved the delays though). If they fixed the noise issue and dropped the price by a few hundred dollars it would be worthwhile just for the delays (everything else sucks).

http://www.markandrus.com
Old 06-21-2006, 01:08 AM

Have you looked at the TC Electronic Fireworx? Not specifically designed for DJ'ing but it's versatile and sounds great. IIRC TC may have been marketing it to DJs for a while.

Its not the kind of thing you could just bring on a gig and mess around with without having spent sometime beforehand setting it up. Very very deep but also a bit complex.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:17 AM

Send a message via MSN to RETRODISKO
well for Dj use in a normal setup i recommend the pioneer 500, have a isolator and delays etc

for more pro use and a better audio quality try Tc or the Yamaha 2000, isolators are some people that likes de E/s other is the Dopereal, others the other by Shorty (if i rememeber well)

One E/s is comming here to Hou to complete the setup i decide that you can get one for some 760 dlls, s/h incluided,

I f is for clubs i still recmend if you have a Pioneer mixer or allen & heat a Pioneer
dont spend somucho of a State of the art processor, if your sonic source is not State also..
Old 06-21-2006, 05:50 AM

Thank you all for your advice. I was thinking more of a 19" pro unit, than some plastic from Pioneer. I've sold my Roland SP 808 EX and are looking for something that carries a litle more soundquality. I believe an EFX 500 would be a step back..

I'm trying to purchase a Yamaha SPX 990, but there aren't many for sale, so therefore I'm seeking similar products. TC Electronic Fireworx looks nice, but pricy though

-Sebastian
Old 06-21-2006, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastianB
Thank you all for your advice. I was thinking more of a 19" pro unit, than some plastic from Pioneer. I've sold my Roland SP 808 EX and are looking for something that carries a litle more soundquality. I believe an EFX 500 would be a step back..

I'm trying to purchase a Yamaha SPX 990, but there aren't many for sale, so therefore I'm seeking similar products. TC Electronic Fireworx looks nice, but pricy though

-Sebastian

A few other ideas:
Alesis Quadraverb 2 or Quadraverb 20. I've never used these but have heard good things about the sound quality of these and they do all the multi-effects stuff. The Q2 can be had for around $100 on ebay.

Lexicon Vortex - not a traditional multi-effects box but capable of weird interesting effects. Around $150. Haven't used this while dj'ing but I have used it while producing. Very cool device. I'll have to try it while mixing records sometime.

Another traditional mfx unit to google is the Lexicon LXP-15.

Sorry I can't be more help.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:57 PM

You are of great help! Thank you!

I defenetly need a unit that you can programe the BPM of the echo. I don't know if that's possible with the above listed units.. I think I'll hang around until there's a SPX for sale. But again, thank you for your advice!
Old 06-21-2006, 07:04 PM

My 5000fx can do that. It's a good analog mixer, has a sampler, Elliot Marx' beatkeeper, and a digital effects section. I got mine for $350 shipped.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:21 PM

Look for a Lexicon Jamman on ebay. Lexicon, not the new digitech one. You can tap in the tempo of the echo, and even divide it into half notes and quarter notes. So if you tap in a four beat loop, you can very easily change to two beats or just one. It also does other cool stuff - do a google search. You can usually get one for around $300. Plus its midi, so other stuff will sync to it once you tap the tempo.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:17 AM
Samplaholic

I can't see how moving from a 4x4 hands-on unit could be replaced by a single space rack unit. As a SP user your not likely to adjust to tweaking parameters on a tiny screen and buttons even with the "tap tempo". Adding something like a TC D-Two in addition to your sampling system makes more sence of you must go that route.

Try looking at the new SP-606 it far less noisey the the 808 and it supports hot-swap 512M CF cards. Also the MC-8000 is super clean . As for effects the the Pioneer EFX-1000 isn't bad. Don't rule out the newer Korg Kaos Pad either.

The other suggestions are primo for studio and preprogrammed MIDI stuff IMO - but if your used to quick-n-killer DJ results on the fly it ain't gonna happen with a rack unit. Better sound quality won't mean much if the unit's interface doesn't suit your purpose.
________
Body science

Last edited by nitred : 04-07-2011 at 03:15 AM.
Old 06-28-2006, 06:21 AM

[quote=nitred]I can't see how moving from a 4x4 hands-on unit could be replaced by a single space rack unit. As a SP user your not likely to adjust to tweaking parameters on a tiny screen and buttons even with the "tap tempo". QUOTE]

I think a single spacerack unit would do me good. Basically, I use echo, delay, large room and other spacy effects from my SP 808. I believe the SPX 990 has a much cleaner echo and and alot more cool soundeffects than the 808. It's also much easier to carry around.

As long as I can set the BPM on the echo and produce weired effects, I think I'm happy. And the better sound, the better result..

Last edited by sebastianB : 06-28-2006 at 06:23 AM.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:19 AM
Samplaholic

I was under the impression that you were also using the sampling\recording features. I see now where your going.

In that case check out the Lexicon MX200 too. You can set the bpm via tap and adjust the unit with a VST plug-in (built -in USB). I don't think sound quality is ever questioned with Lexicon and its only $200.

check this...
http://www.lexiconpro.com/mx200/index.asp
________
Lovely Wendie

Old 06-29-2006, 07:01 AM

Hi,
This unit looks nice and very easy to use live, but as far as I understood it didn't have an echo effect.(??). And that is essential! I also need to set the exact BPM. Can't do that by taping it in, or by using a digital input since my setup is analog.

But thanks alot for your help! Keep on feeding me with theese sugestions. I really appreciate it..

Last edited by sebastianB : 06-29-2006 at 07:03 AM.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:24 AM
Samplaholic

as I understood it didn't have an echo effect.(??).

The terms change a bit when dealing with pro effects processors.

In this case:

Echo = Delay

* Yamaha spx990 - 20bit / 44.1 SR - Lexicon MX200 - 24 bit / 48 Khz SR

I also need to set the exact BPM. Can't do that by taping it in, or by using a digital input since my setup is analog.

Tapping is actually better for your purpose. When you enter an exact BPM it's only valid if the record is being played at the exact pitch used when you took the count. Because your mixing and not just playing records , those numbers go right out the window. Tapping the tempo will allow you to get it right from the pitch you're currently playing at.
________
Public outside

Old 06-30-2006, 06:56 AM

Echo=Delay.. Got it..

I'm gona try out this unit. My only concern now is that you can't adjust the length of the notes. With the SPX this is possible.. It creates a very different echo with shorter notes, but you know that ofcourse..

This is what I need:

-A professional MFX processor that can be programmed with BPM and length of notes.
-Preferably balanced XLR outputs.
-Front panel that's easy use for live performace.

If the unit got this, I'm happy.

Actually, I use a Grey beatcounter to set the BPM, and I've found that this is slightly more acurate than taping. But it's rearly 100%. What I wonder is how FK always got the exact BPM of the tune.. Maby he got midi cables from his laptop?
Old 06-30-2006, 08:46 AM

Tapping the tempo in is not 100% accurate, but you try a few times, get as close as you can, and then adjust the record to match the unit.
Old 06-30-2006, 09:46 AM

Exectrix MO-FX

This has been the most DJ friendly FX unit I've ever used. Its very easy to use, has the tap. Fast simple effects exactly whats on my mind can be done quickly. Each effect has the choice of isolating the low, mid, high in various choices. The Delay does bleed thru when disengaged if you don't put the volume all the way down!. Ken
Old 06-30-2006, 10:02 AM

I've got a yamaha spx 990 and found the tapping function to be a nightmare. While tapping a constant 120bpm beat, the unit would read 99bpms one second and 135 the next !

Got a Cycloops loop sampler which as well as being a very clever product as a very accurate BPM counter. Now I just use this to pick out the BPM's and dial straight into the spx 990.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:08 AM

^^^
Sounds like the algorithym used to calculate the BPM uses the time between two successive taps rather than keeping track of the total time and dividing by the number of taps to get a better average.

You just need to learn to tap better.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:13 AM

believe me, my tapping is pretty good ! ...just not on that machine.

The other unit I'd recommend for DJing is the TC Electronic M300
Its got f*king awsome echoes & delays and has a much more accurate tap function (& can be tweaked to get in perfect sink).

All the effects can be changed and set using dials - so its very hands on & immediate - rather than using complicated menu systems.

They're pretty cheap too but sound quality is spot on.
Old 06-30-2006, 11:30 PM
Samplaholic

My only concern now is that you can't adjust the length of the notes.

Sure you can. These are the key terms to learn when dealing with pro units. Plain English isn't spoken in such realms.

Echo = Delay

Delay Time = determines the length of captured sounds, usually in milliseconds . 2000ms of delay means you can have an echo up to 2 seconds long.

Reflection = this is the echoed sound itself .

Pre-delay = time before echo playback actually starts. Before a sound can echo it has to travel and reflect off of something. Think of this as the sound's flight time before bouncing back.

MultiTap Delay = 2 or more delays/echos with independent pre-delay (start) points and/or delay times.

Pong Delay = echo with Left /Right auto-panning (balance rocking) added per reflection.
________
Yamaha rx 100 history

Old 07-03-2006, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Its got f*king awsome echoes & delays and has a much more accurate tap function (& can be tweaked to get in perfect sink).

Cool.. But you like your SPX better?
Old 01-24-2007, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee_tree
believe me, my tapping is pretty good ! ...just not on that machine.

All the effects can be changed and set using dials - so its very hands on & immediate - rather than using complicated menu systems.

They're pretty cheap too but sound quality is spot on.

I received the (TC Electronic) M350 today (updated version of the M300). And WOW...I've been very happy with this unit so far! Thanks for the recommendation!

I really wanted the (Pioneer) EFX-1000 for the improved sound quality over the EFX-500, but I couldn't justify the co$t. The M350 was more in my price range.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:35 AM

I still love

My Technics 1506 reel to reel, amazing delay from this reel to reel ,i know its not a effects module but nothing sounds like a tape machine for delay & couldnt resist throwing in a analog machine in the mix lol

Last edited by soundmanshorty : 01-24-2007 at 02:44 AM.