Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2004, 02:09 PM

Build Your Own Bozak Phono Pre

I have moved this thread up as it may be of interest to Bozak users. I bought a Bozak CMA 10DL from Morten. It is the best one with Alps black velvet pots rather than AB used in the earlier ones. Some knob caps from Mario G and a new headphone jack and of course three homemade phono cards and its all good.

I have had built first prototype board today to the original schematics. The components are nothing special although some are more modern so might effect tonal issues. Anyway I have no original cards to compare so I have no A/B and come to think of it if I had bozak cards then I wouldn't be building them. I have problem on one channel at moment but the design does function. Give me a few more weeks and these will be through the lab and we should be able to give some specs and opinions on the sound compared to some good hi fi and thew odd DJ mixer preamps we can find lurking about I haven't heard the project phono stages sold with this so I should try them too. Anyway just to say it CAN be done and watch this space.

Now have a headache from all that thinking!
Old 03-07-2004, 02:23 PM

More on Bozak Pre

OK some more info for anyone needing a third card. I would assume the original cards are rare to unobtainable?

These cards are build on strip/veroboard as it was hardly worth the work in making just three PCB's. Pin headers are the correct sized square profile gold pins soldered onto a strip of wide pitch veroboard which gives the correct pin spacing. These pins were 30 from farnells for a hundred.

Transistors are original type BC107 and BC177. These were in stock in friends lab they are available from RS and Farnell but are expensive quite by todays standard prices for more common parts.

Resistors are a mix of carbon and metal film mostly to a higher tolerance than specified. I can say I can't hear the difference in the card with a higher carbon resistor count!

Tantulum 3.3ufd are basic non fancy about 35 pence each. AVX branded come in at about 2.00 each when I looked!

Disc capacitors basic and a lot smaller package when compared to old ones used in the mixer.

Electrolytics are basic dublier 100ufd and 47ufd with a holy grail Elna Starget 22ufd which looks shinny and costs 43 pence!

Last edited by daveg : 03-07-2004 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-07-2004, 02:29 PM

More component

On the RC tunning loop I have used Wima and Wima type .0068ufd and .018ufd. I have also used a Panasonic shiny black cased .018ufd in one of the cards but can't hear a difference as yet.

Any questions or comments and has anyone built these?

Next project is booth preamp.

Dave
Old 03-07-2004, 03:21 PM

Original Bozak Cards.

I have an original card sitting right in front of me, and Id be down to do a comparison evaluation!

Let me know, Dave.

Old 03-07-2004, 03:55 PM

Hello Scott

Well I can post you a picture of the card first to your hotmail. I warn you though these are ugly looking I am no electronics engineer!

If you still want to hear when you see em then I'll post one off. I might make another as I have been waithing a long time to get in the mix properly again!

let me know.

By the way the Bozak is the REAL deal

Last edited by daveg : 03-07-2004 at 03:58 PM.
Old 03-07-2004, 04:31 PM

Prototypes

Prototypes usually arent cosmetically gorgeous, but who cares? Its all about the sound! Now, If you go into production to sell them, then they have to look good as well as sound good!

Email me the pictures so I can see what youve used to build them, and I want to hear em too!

Old 03-08-2004, 11:30 AM

Re: Build Your Own Bozak Phono Pre

Quote:
Originally posted by daveg
...Anyway I have no original cards to compare so I have no A/B and come to think of it if I had bozak cards then I wouldn't be building them...

nice one dave, good project. have some original bozak cards, not for sale but for comparison, and i live in leeds. let me know.

tom

Last edited by tom smith : 03-08-2004 at 11:33 AM.
Old 03-08-2004, 01:26 PM

Re: Prototypes

Quote:
Originally posted by clubman5
Prototypes usually arent cosmetically gorgeous, but who cares? Its all about the sound! Now, If you go into production to sell them, then they have to look good as well as sound good!

Email me the pictures so I can see what youve used to build them, and I want to hear em too!

Welcome back Scott!

Looking forward to some new entertaining discussions :-)

Regards,
Justin
Old 03-08-2004, 05:55 PM

Pictures

I sent you a picture of the first card Scott. I hope not that bad!

I am pleased with the sound, very detailed and lively.

Are the original cards rare or expensive, I know Urei cards are quite sought after. Anyway these are quite straightfoward to build if anybody wanted to use the schematics.
Old 03-20-2004, 12:19 PM

Bozak PCB

I believe Mario G has plans for manufacture of Bozak PCB Phono on another thread. Not sure if pin headers are on there? Anyway, Hope to see somebody making up these and posting up results and opinions of sound plus components used. I have had some interest via private e-mail. Don't keep it all to yourselves, I know everybody tends to try to turn these things into a cash cow on E-bay or such but that makes for a rather quiet forum!

I shall be listening to my boards on much larger system later today.
Old 03-20-2004, 02:44 PM

Bozak sound.

Yes, On much larger system the bozak still comes up with the goods.

Not easy to be objective when paying stuff like 212 north 12th but what the hell!