Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2006, 01:24 AM

funny stuff: the dead's Wall Of Sound

Just saw this and thought everyone here would find it quite amusing :
http://website.lineone.net/~hintez/wall.html

I'll bet if dance music was split into multitrack like they have set up in a live situation, we'd have crazy rigs like this in clubs!
Old 11-01-2006, 01:28 AM

Bad music is still bad music even on a great sound system.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezz
Just saw this and thought everyone here would find it quite amusing :
http://website.lineone.net/~hintez/wall.html

I'll bet if dance music was split into multitrack like they have set up in a live situation, we'd have crazy rigs like this in clubs!

i bet against you.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:36 AM

you do realize they had such a wall only because speakers and amps of hte day were not capable of the spl needed for such large shows. There are however, some guys that play around with a similar idea with modern technology. The red hot chili peppers foh man, Dave Rat, messes around with mulitple line array hangs to spread instruments around. Having just a few hours ot make a rig sound perfect for 25-80k people is a much different story than an install for up to a mere few thousand.

If dance music was multitracked, say goodbye to vinyl (im hoping vinyl dies anyway, but thats another story)
Old 11-01-2006, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancindave
Bad music is still bad music even on a great sound system.

I said the same thing 'till I got dragged to a show. Not crazy about their records but the Show was Awesome. I wish I had gone to more of them.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmatic
please explain

just the devil talking.....

LoL

Doolittle & Seymour Associates
Old 11-01-2006, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsd540
I said the same thing 'till I got dragged to a show. Not crazy about their records but the Show was Awesome. I wish I had gone to more of them.

alot like Widespread panic IMO.... all about the vibe...
not always the tunes...

Doolittle & Seymour Associates
Old 11-01-2006, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSA.audio
alot like Widespread panic IMO.... all about the vibe...
not always the tunes...

Exacto... But man what a nice vibe... They also did alot of jammin which IMO kicked a** (believe it or not I was sober too)
Old 11-01-2006, 11:49 AM

Never been to a show, but I've heard tons of recording of them thanks to some friends. I can appreciate what they were doing, but I'm stubborn as a mule when it comes to shows/clubs. Music has got to be on point for me to get into it. That's probably why I don't go out much, and only like a handful of DJs.

Vinyl is the only true hard copy of recorded music that exists today. No other medium is as direct since it's acoustic. Musically, it may not be the greatest thing when compared to 2" reels, but it sure spanks 389589Mbit/987422MHz encoding, or whatever new thing it out this year for digital.

LPs can certainly be improved upon using micro-technology and innovations in material engineering. An entirely new medium can be born that allows for higher fidelity in a more compact package, with physical protection, and more durable materials. This is something I would like to see happen in our lifetimes.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancindave

Vinyl is the only true hard copy of recorded music that exists today. No other medium is as direct since it's acoustic. Musically, it may not be the greatest thing when compared to 2" reels, but it sure spanks 389589Mbit/987422MHz encoding, or whatever new thing it out this year for digital.

i know this argument has been done to death, and this isn't really the thread for it, but why would it be important during this era that vinyl is 'direct' and 'acoustic'?

i'd bet that less than 0.01% of the records made today of any genre are actually recorded as analog, so while vinyl can be a better copy of analog, i don't see what advantage you're really going to get from a digital source.
you can only get less audio information, not more, by transferring to vinyl if the source is digital, which at this point in time you can count on it being almost all the time.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmatic
please explain

Now I will dance if what comes out of the speakers is cool, no matter if it comes from vinyl, but the concept of this music to be presented to the public through vinyl stagnates the potential is has to be more dynamic.

To keep this sorta relevant to the thread, consider the difference in having a dj mix dead tracks and seeing the dead live. It has already been offered that one totally got into the live experience after finding the studio recordings to be unfulfilling. Knowing what kind of magic can be made controlling more finite details in the moment, relying on just the premixed-down version to provide the excitement is not so interesting.

The chicago pioneers brought out drum machines to clubs to make the records they brought more individualized for hte moment. What if levan was actually mixing down multiple bands for hte entire night instead of just playing prerecorded stuff? Because one can listen to all of this msuic at home, its cool to hear something at the party that isnt the same, and eqing isnt enough for me.

Records could certainly be made ot sound better and there is a pleasing warmness about them, but nothinga can advance their presentation of the music they contain. The same goes for cds and most any other stereo tracking. MP3s, WAV/AIFF, and any other format for a computer is different because it allows preperation down to finer details.

Its much easier for a vinyl jock to rock a floor than a guy with a laptop and various synths and midi machines, and certainyl for longer sets, but sticking with a vinyl format holds back any alternatives. I've also come to enjoy the pure digital signal, no matter how cold it can be perceived. iIt is accurate, those are the real sounds, unaffected by the character of a physical medium. If that sound is unfulfilling, how about improving the sounds at the recording source. I enjoy sounds both natural and synthetic, so if a sound is supposed to be natural, like a horn or string, it should sound like it does in the flesh, which may not be "warmed" at all.

I dont need to see hte musicians, but I want that live feeling on the dancefloor. The best music ive heard at parties has mostly had that element.