Links

Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-17-2010, 03:40 AM

Rane MP2016 - Cue mixing without monitors?

Hello wave!
First I wanted to shout out a big "Thank you" to you all! Really great community and the forum still seems to be a place for us high end wierdos Although it has seen better days, as I was told by some oldschool peoples. Whatever.

My question: I am close to receive a original Rane MP2016. I thought a lot about how to invest my money and the Rane MP/XP combo seems to be a perfect deal as it is a good compromise between price, sound quality and features. Unfortunately you can only listen to one single cue channel oder the master in your headphones. So no beatmatching within the headphone alone will be possible as far as I know. So far I always did it that way but the problem is something else: my neighbors will probably sue me during the first week of rotary madness. I cannot turn up the music on my big monitors all the time to mix.

Is there any way to mix within the headphone alone without booth monitors?

I know the MP2016A and S can do it but they do not sound as good as the original one.

Thanks!

bye
Old 09-17-2010, 06:28 AM

Switch from Cue to Master, not perfect but will do the job.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen5656
I know the MP2016A and S can do it but they do not sound as good as the original one.

just curious as to why you would think this?

Is it due to the different phono amplifier circuit
in the original that you like better?

my understanding is that the original issue was easier to
overdrive than later iterations..... someone had mentioned that the
phono circuit changed between the 2016 and 2016a and IIRC
maybe the output was padded down a little...
the EQs may have had some gain potential trimmed out also IIRC
Old 09-17-2010, 11:36 PM

@Mystick:
You are right.
There is a thread hear on board where all the diff. are mentioned.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:31 PM

Not really anything to do with what ye are on about but I too have a Rane 2016 and was just playing it at home for the last few months.
I've now started a house night but the club has no gear so guess what?
Yea, you guessed it, I had to bring in my own mixer. When the sound guy connected everything up there was almost nothing coming from the booth which made the monitor useless, which was a disaster for us playing because we were relying on the house speakers. We managed to get through the night but we dont want it to happen again. The sound guy says it's something wring with the mixer. He could be right but I just said I would asked up here first to see if any of you guys had the same problem?
Old 09-20-2010, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabas
Not really anything to do with what ye are on about but I too have a Rane 2016 and was just playing it at home for the last few months.
I've now started a house night but the club has no gear so guess what?
Yea, you guessed it, I had to bring in my own mixer. When the sound guy connected everything up there was almost nothing coming from the booth which made the monitor useless, which was a disaster for us playing because we were relying on the house speakers. We managed to get through the night but we dont want it to happen again. The sound guy says it's something wring with the mixer. He could be right but I just said I would asked up here first to see if any of you guys had the same problem?

I’ve never had that problem, I assume you were getting sound but just at a low level.
Maybe ask the sound guy if the monitors are set up to be run off a DJM800 monitor output running flat-out.. If I remember right the Pioneer pieces of crap have very hot outputs and a lot of so called “sound engineers” will just set them at full so the so called “DJ’s” can’t kill there monitors…..
Every mixer will have slightly different output levels, If the house sound guy doesn’t want to adjust the monitor input level ask him if he has a EQ or anything else with a bit of gain boost to plug in and boost your output “I use to know a guy that use to have a extra mixer hooked up to his monitor out”!