Links

Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-25-2012, 06:49 PM

and i remember in the 90s if you wanted to play records at an afterhours that plays house/techno etc it was paramount you dont trainwreck it was part of the flow , you didnt go to bars to hear the dj mix you went to hear the top 40 but at the rave you went to hear proper music mixed smooth and there was an art to it and the next consecutive dj mixed their record into the previous the music was a continuous mix all night into the morning it was a warehouse thing.

there are aceptable reasons not to and those djs payed dues in a dif way

but now adays its too easy to dj from the technical aspect.

there are hundreds of new ways to enhance your perfomance and the new technology is great for this provided a dj uses it but most ive seen dont

i remember when the djm 500 came out ppl were bonkers for the effects but id still bet my dozen biscuits most djs wont use the entire efx facilities on that mixer.

i guess i come from a dif place where decks/mixer/speakers/discoball was all that was needed to make it special.

peas man
Old 10-26-2012, 04:47 PM

people asking the dj to play a song off You tube????
dayum, the art of DJing is most likely DEAD. so sad.
maybe it will be revived by some young eager buck
20 or so years from now.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:15 PM

R_Dub: is the problem you have with it that a DJ would "lower themselves" to take a request, or is your problem that the YouTube medium is too low-quality? I'm trying to figure out what your notion of "real DJ" is, because I'm guessing it's pretty close to my definition of "grouchy, inflexible old man".

I don't see the problem with not being able to beatmatch either. Personally I like to beatmatch by hand since I like the blends to lay certain ways, but who cares if somebody syncs it? I suspect the real problem some of you have isn't that people are doing it, it's that people are doing it and getting better reactions than you.

rs

ps - this is coming from someone who builds their own speakers, amps and signal processors, so I care a lot about paying dues/putting in effort/good sound/etc... I just don't get personally upset when someone doesn't care as much about those things.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to charles0322
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs_
R_Dub: notion of "real DJ" is, because I'm guessing it's pretty close to my definition of "grouchy, inflexible old man".

yes I have been called this! lol.. I played with the nexus today but didnt try the sync feature, it basically has three more buttons for three hundred bucks more than a reg. 2000

It is a good player.. about the drift issue???? not sure if that makes any difference to someone that wants to mix on a cdj.. if you have pitch faders use them, no?

Tenaglia is using Traktor now with the CDJ2000 for control
Old 10-27-2012, 07:00 AM

The looping on the nexus wasn't tight at all even with rekordbox being used.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:41 AM

Buy fucking records and play them until they wear out and stop all this computer shit.
Really annoying now, can't even come on the wave forum anymore. Nexus my Arse.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:02 PM

^^^^^^^^^^ what he said
Old 10-27-2012, 02:52 PM

rs, you sound a little grouchy yourself.
when DJing hs been relegated to cueing up songs off you tube
or wirelessly playing songs off audience members iphones then YES
the art is doomed. if my logic is too diffucult to follow you might
consider sticking to soldering.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:27 AM

DJing is still catering to the audience. Whether you use vinyl or CDs or traktor, whatever. the crowd wants to hear certain things, the DJ plays that stuff. Be it Armin van Buren, or the local disc jockey, makes no difference.

Now 'in the old days' youtube didn't even exist. Nowadays, it does and everybody uses it. If some person walked up to you, wanting to hear a track that you don't have, of course they are going to suggest Youtube. They do not know of its low sound quality, it sounds fine on their phones. They do not know that Youtube is not used by DJ's. For all they care you're just starting the next track after the other has finished.

Technology is evolving, so is DJ'ing. I do agree that Youtube is not to be used by DJ's, and vinyl is still very cool (I only really use vinyl) but what is wrong with the sync feature? Virtual DJ had it for ages, and to be honest: on the CDJ 1000, using the beatcounter and the 0.8% rule, beatmatching was close to syncing anyway.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:42 AM

nope, syncing is a whole different beast then matching the bpm read outs on the cdjs. c'mon now. anyone who's spent any amount of time on the CDJs knows that the BPM readout is only good for getting it KINDA close, thats it. - I'm not making an argument for or against sync here. just sick of hearing ppl say that CDJs basically had the same as sync all along - thats BS.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:59 PM

the CDJ 2000 displays the BPM up to 1 decimal. All you have to do is use the pitch to put them on the same number. how is that not syncing.

and you're missing the point. Syncing does not kill the art of DJ'ing. It only scares those who know that the only thing they have over other DJ's is their oh so priced beatmatching ability, which, honestly, even a monkey could learn.

Track selection and timing. those are the 2 things a DJ needs to master to become a great DJ. And by timing I mean more than just matching phrases. Timing the tracks so they fit the audience and mood. Selecting the right track to make them dance their socks off.
When people go home and think: gee, I haven't had such a good night in ages.

That's a successful DJ.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:08 PM

^^^^^^^good point
Old 10-29-2012, 02:48 PM

Y'all going to the wrong places, that sounds like a night out for my parents.
Where I go, if a DJ brought a laptop into the booth he/she would be fucked off the decks and quite rightly so. They're grand in a bar for some douchebag playing top 40 but in an underground setting where the punters are passionate about music, it just won't do.
The same goes for these new CDJ's. The 1000's are great and I still use them but these new toys are just for knobs that will actually never play anywhere but have more money than passion for the craft. They will also be the first to get the CDJ3000's.
Digital DJ'ing my big hairy ARSE!!!
Old 10-29-2012, 06:38 PM

I'd say that around here, about 95% of all working DJ's, from small bars to full blown dance clubs works off a laptop. That remaining 5% has records or music CD's.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:57 PM

i understand the whole vinyl purist thing, but to say that you'd get "fucked off the decks" if you used Serato is a little ridiculous.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:54 AM

...Y'all going to the wrong places. Where I go, if a DJ played VINYL RECORDS on a TURNTABLE he'd get laughed out of the cave. Fine indoors in a nightclub setting, but when the punters are really passionate about a steady rhythm, played on a cowhide-stretched-over-hollowed-treetrunk drum while we get a little crazy on fermented Stegasaurus urine, gnaw on bones and dance naked around fire, they just won't do.

Keep it real y'all
Old 10-30-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Dub
nope, syncing is a whole different beast then matching the bpm read outs on the cdjs. c'mon now. anyone who's spent any amount of time on the CDJs knows that the BPM readout is only good for getting it KINDA close, thats it. - I'm not making an argument for or against sync here. just sick of hearing ppl say that CDJs basically had the same as sync all along - thats BS.

That's not true at all actually. If you are using rekorbox, and you verify that the beat grids are set correctly (about 95% of the time, you don't even need to correct them, the software is that good), the BPM counter on the CDJ-2000 and CDJ-2000 Nexus is 100% accurate.

This is nothing like on the CDJ-1000 where the player analyses the audio from the CD on the fly, and displays what it thinks is the beat counter. The 2000 is a different beast entirely (if you are playing from rekordbox analyzed files).

It's always been easier to mix on CDJ's. You don't need to learn the art of riding the pitch.

As for it only having 3 extra buttons... try playing around with the new loop modes, particularly with slip mode turned on . The roll-type effect is pretty nice actually.

The people with iPhones are so annoying. I play at an afterhours underground venue, and obviously I'm not playing commercial music. People have come up with an iPhone and are completely confused when you tell them you won't play their track. "Why can't you just plug it in?" Technical aspects aside, your Beyonce track isn't really going to work in my set, thanks.

Last edited by Ryan0751 : 10-30-2012 at 10:13 AM.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabas
Y'all going to the wrong places, that sounds like a night out for my parents.
Where I go, if a DJ brought a laptop into the booth he/she would be fucked off the decks and quite rightly so. They're grand in a bar for some douchebag playing top 40 but in an underground setting where the punters are passionate about music, it just won't do.
The same goes for these new CDJ's. The 1000's are great and I still use them but these new toys are just for knobs that will actually never play anywhere but have more money than passion for the craft. They will also be the first to get the CDJ3000's.
Digital DJ'ing my big hairy ARSE!!!

except the 1000 sounds like a bag of nails compared to the 900 and 2000.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs_
R_Dub: is the problem you have with it that a DJ would "lower themselves" to take a request, or is your problem that the YouTube medium is too low-quality? I'm trying to figure out what your notion of "real DJ" is, because I'm guessing it's pretty close to my definition of "grouchy, inflexible old man".

I don't see the problem with not being able to beatmatch either. Personally I like to beatmatch by hand since I like the blends to lay certain ways, but who cares if somebody syncs it? I suspect the real problem some of you have isn't that people are doing it, it's that people are doing it and getting better reactions than you.

rs

ps - this is coming from someone who builds their own speakers, amps and signal processors, so I care a lot about paying dues/putting in effort/good sound/etc... I just don't get personally upset when someone doesn't care as much about those things.

amen brother....the kit and the attitude are secondary to the punter.

look after your customers and your night will go smoove, act like an asshole and it's as bad as playing badly on a piece of shit distorting sound system to loud to escape from....
Old 10-30-2012, 04:18 PM

in the end if your a dj booked to play a club or holding a residency you have to cater to the crowd so you download the crap they want and spin it with a smile on your face

on the other hand if your a dj that has a unique vibe then you get booked on the strength of your "thing" so you do what you do

and in my mind it doesnt matter how you get it done

i use cdj 1000s and 2000s when i get booked mostly

when i do a mobile gig i bring two numark tt 1910s and a numark cdn 33

and the result is the same

the technology will change and only in select areas do the crowds appreciate
the advances in the music presentation via the bells and whistles

ppl like ritchie hawtin are the champions on technology and they use it well
Old 10-30-2012, 04:21 PM

This forum has really gone to the dogs, I'm off fools!!!!
Old 10-30-2012, 05:28 PM

haha at Jabas just leaving the forum because it is no longer a place for vinyl purists even though the forum owner FK has been a Traktor/Controllerist for many years
Old 10-30-2012, 05:44 PM

vinyl is king but our climate is fueled by technology

id love to play only records using a boatload of hi fi gear and 20 pairs of la scalas but we have to deal with whats in demand.

Last edited by Fred Bissnette : 10-30-2012 at 10:49 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabas
This forum has really gone to the dogs, I'm off fools!!!!
...because we're discussing new tech on the Tech Talk Forum? get a grip.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:20 AM

Vinyl vs digital at the Tech Talk for Gearheads board?

pffffffffffffffftttttttttt

BORING!!!