Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-18-2010, 12:47 AM

Soundcraft Urei Service

I have a Soundcraft Urei 1620 LE. I had it for a year or so and all pots are lose so I emailed them to see how much the service and maintainance cost, no reply from them!

Have anyone done it with them before? Any alternative option other then Soundcraft? Mario?

Please advise! Thanks.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shihp001
I have a Soundcraft Urei 1620 LE. I had it for a year or so and all pots are lose so I emailed them to see how much the service and maintainance cost, no reply from them!

Have anyone done it with them before? Any alternative option other then Soundcraft? Mario?

Please advise! Thanks.

Thatīs why we love Rane
Old 06-18-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:

Please advise! Thanks.

Are the pots scratchy? If you need new pots MarioG has them. If they just need tightening you're supposed to be able to pull either the cap on the knob or the whole knob off and tighten that little screw behind it.

My SoundCloud
Old 06-18-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Martin
Are the pots scratchy? If you need new pots MarioG has them. If they just need tightening you're supposed to be able to pull either the cap on the knob or the whole knob off and tighten that little screw behind it.

Yep exactly. Also the pots used are just ordinary Alps pots you can buy from any good parts supplier.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lektrikboy
Thatīs why we love Rane

Good for you but we are not talking about Rane.
The pots used are the same as the Rane though, regarding support Rane is a small independent compared to one of the worlds biggest audio companies who is some faceless crap hole corporation...of course support is going to suck.
Personally I found it ok, just send the same email to every email you can see not just the tech one lol
Old 06-19-2010, 03:10 AM

The pot mechanism itself is loose, or is the knob "wobbly"? I've extensively modified mine, and I must say that the unit is a joy to work on.

Also, I've called Soundcraft and talked to a 1620 technician with 10 minutes or so.

rs
Old 06-19-2010, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs_
The pot mechanism itself is loose, or is the knob "wobbly"? I've extensively modified mine, and I must say that the unit is a joy to work on.

Also, I've called Soundcraft and talked to a 1620 technician with 10 minutes or so.

rs

Hey RS just wondering what modifications have you done to your LE?
Mine had a wobbly headphone knob about a year ago, tightening it was easy just use a small allen key. The actual pots though still have the same feel as when it was new though.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:07 PM

Thanks for all the feed backs.
The pots are lose due to the normal usage.
I like pots to be tight.

I might just buy the pots and take it to a local technician to change them out.

I just don't like that don't reply my email.
Well, I am not going to buy anything from soundcraft other than the 1620 LE anyway!
Old 06-20-2010, 04:20 AM

It is quite easy to replace the pots in the 1620. The input boards are modular and the PCBs are high quality.

Vinyl_Junkie: besides the "factory" switch mod of making Channel 6 not go through the Booth Output and to disregard the Master Fader, I have removed the channel routers and pan controls on Channels 1-3 and 6, built a "thru" card from a Molex connector, and completely bypassed and removed the Master EQ.

I am currently looking at increasing the Effects Loop gain, making the Tape Output post-Effects Loop, and upgrading the Output Transformers.

In my opinion, this mixer was clearly designed to be modified by the end user.

rs
Old 06-20-2010, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs_
It is quite easy to replace the pots in the 1620. The input boards are modular and the PCBs are high quality.

In my opinion, this mixer was clearly designed to be modified by the end user.

rs
And IF one is going to the trouble of replacing pots, may I recommend TKD audio taper potentiometers. High quality Japanese pots, better than ALPS. IMO!

I agree the old style thru hole boards do lend themselves to end user modification and customization.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:38 AM

Dies the TKD pot sound any different than ALP? If so, what's the differetces? Thanks Scott.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:08 AM

If I had to pick a charachteristic sonic detail, the TKD sounds cleaner than the ALPS! Noticeable in the top end and upper midrange. In units that I have TKD pots in, I feel the top end is cleaner, more open, and has an airy, and sparkly sound, that another identical unit, but with ALPS pots does NOT have.

TKD is a HIGH QUALITY potentiometer, made using GOOD ingredients, and besides sounding clean, they track properly. What "tracking" means, is that the pots react and respond as the manufacturer claims they do, AND if one orders 6 pots, they all track the same, you don't have pots that respond differently from one another. OR have pots that have left and right resistive tapers that aren't closely matched, and end up having a L-R channel to channel imbalance.

www.percyaudio.com, if you want to look and see more on TKD!
Old 06-20-2010, 08:34 AM

Another option I guess is Nobel pots, Tony aka NeverObsolete liked these and told me he preferred them to the Alps pot.
Also if if you want to u can still install Alps Black Beauty pot in your LE which is IMO a really nice pot but you need other modifications as the pot is bigger than the Blue Velvet. The only person who has stocks of Black Beauties I think is Mario, this is the pot the original 1620 had
Old 06-20-2010, 06:58 PM

Send a message via MSN to NeverObsolete Send a message via Yahoo to NeverObsolete
Bourne high end pots are outstanding. I like the Noble. The feel is just my speed. TKD is super outstanding around $55 apiece. However, it would be money well spent.

One last thing about the Noble, they don't get loose. The retain their feel for a long time.

Metal black casing, about the same size as the ALPS. They are nice.

The ASR xover I had had the ALPS replacement. I even put the mod on here a while back. Then replaced them with the Noble.

Just my two cents.

Today we are excavating the burn site. A lot got done in the two days I and my family been at it. Big hole was dug and the scooping and dumping has begun.

Still to see all my vinyl get scooped and dumped made me cry. Oh well.

About two weeks it should be clear enuff to see the floor.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:27 PM

I think I am going to try the TKD pots.
Noble pots sounds good to me, I do like pots retain the tightness for longer time.

Since there are less djs playing vinyl now, I might have the TKD for channel 1-3 for vinyl and 4-6 for CDs/serato.

Tony, by the way, this is Paul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverObsolete
Bourne high end pots are outstanding. I like the Noble. The feel is just my speed. TKD is super outstanding around $55 apiece. However, it would be money well spent.

One last thing about the Noble, they don't get loose. The retain their feel for a long time.

Metal black casing, about the same size as the ALPS. They are nice.

The ASR xover I had had the ALPS replacement. I even put the mod on here a while back. Then replaced them with the Noble.

Just my two cents.

Today we are excavating the burn site. A lot got done in the two days I and my family been at it. Big hole was dug and the scooping and dumping has begun.

Still to see all my vinyl get scooped and dumped made me cry. Oh well.

About two weeks it should be clear enuff to see the floor.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:12 AM

Send a message via MSN to NeverObsolete Send a message via Yahoo to NeverObsolete
Quote:
Noble pots sounds good to me, I do like pots retain the tightness for longer time.

Since there are less djs playing vinyl now, I might have the TKD for channel 1-3 for vinyl and 4-6 for CDs/serato.

Hi, now I know.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:36 PM

Quote:

You won't be disappointed with the TKD potentiometers.

Smooth feel, not overly tight, but not really loose, either. VERY CLEAN SOUNDING, and excellent tracking!
Old 06-23-2010, 05:20 AM

Thanks Scott! I will try try the TKD. And I am going to try it out.
Since there are less djs playing vinyl now, I will have the TKD for channel 1-3 for vinyl and the Noble pots on 4-6 for CDs/serato.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubman5
You won't be disappointed with the TKD potentiometers.

Smooth feel, not overly tight, but not really loose, either. VERY CLEAN SOUNDING, and excellent tracking!