Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-30-2007, 11:38 AM

Article: Vinyl May Be Final Nail in CD's Coffin

As counterintuitive as it may seem in this age of iPods and digital downloads, vinyl -- the favorite physical format of indie music collectors and audiophiles -- is poised to re-enter the mainstream, or at least become a major tributary.
Don MacInnis, owner of Record Technology in Camarillo, California, predicts production will be up 25 percent over last year by the end of 2007. And he's not talking about small runs of dance music for DJs, but the whole gamut of music: "new albums, reissues, majors and indies ... jazz, blues, classical, pop and a lot of (classic) rock."

Turntables are hot again as well. Insound, an online music retailer that recently began selling USB turntables alongside vinyl, can't keep them in stock, according to the company's director, Patrick McNamara.

And on Oct. 17, Amazon.com launched a vinyl-only section stocked with a growing collection of titles and several models of record players.

http://www.wired.com/entertainment/m...eningpost_1029
Brilliant article. I suggest reading it. The best part is that the major labels still deny the resurgence of vinyl.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:02 PM

nice read, thanks!

Doolittle & Seymour Associates
Old 10-30-2007, 02:30 PM

Oooh yes, I hope this is true!
Old 10-30-2007, 04:41 PM

Hey, don`t post anything positive........only post the doom and gloom articles....people need to have the image that it all was better 10 years ago....

Good read.......
Old 10-31-2007, 12:00 AM

Heh heh, how could CEA be leaving out statistics from one of its members like Numark? Weirdos.

I'm not quite sure I agree with some of the comments made about differences in sound. Sure, an MP3 sounds like garbage compared to a vinyl pressing. But the CD probably doesn't really sound that bad. Most people have really chinsy CD players, though, and they've been told for years by the idiots at Consumer Reports there's no difference between them. I also think it's a bit strange moving over to vinyl from a 24bit recording done on some studio's Apple computer with Pro Tools. All vinyl turns into then is a high-hassle, low-durability, high res format that will wear out. And the average person with vinyl doesn’t even know what rumble is.

While I like SACD and DVD-Audio, I really think they should be sticking to Enhanced DVD-V disks for most everything. They can hold high-bitrate protected MP3’s or wavs right on the same disk without any problem in a data section. Hardly anyone records on analog, DSD, or PCM in 176.4khz/192khz and most surround SACD and DVD-Audio disks sound gimmicky. If you want surround, use DTS. DVD-V releases with LPCM tracks up to 24/96 can be played on like 99.9% of all dvd players out there and 100% of all HD DVD and BluRay players. Bam, you have slide shows playing on screen at the same time. Then there’s the potential for a video section. And at anything over 20/48, DACs do start sounding a lot closer to each other (compared to 16/44.1) and finally begin fulfilling the potential of the Nyquist Theorem. Again, that’s what they’re recording most music to, anyway. While I do blame the recording industry for the impending death of SACD and DVD-A, I understand how it was not helped by the fact that neither standard became part of the main DVD standard and most players in homes still do not support them. Most players, however, do support 24/96 audio tracks and DTS. And any PC with a DVD drive could copy over a data section's wav and MP3 versions.

As someone with turntables who DJ's, I like the idea of lots more records available and digital download coupons bundled with them (especially if this is for 16/48 wavs) but from a practical standpoint I don't think it has much merit for the masses. If people really cared about album art like that, some kind of Laser Disc-size format for CD would have been released. I think the turntable sales are mostly DJs, shaggy-haired clone kids listening to the latest corporate-backed pretend-indie flavor of the month on MTV, and a few nostalgic unmarried 40 year old guys with old record collections who are trying to impress their new younger girlfriends from one of the other two groups by getting a TT again themselves. I don't think it's that widespread. In fact, I bet it's mostly the same people buying these records, then selling them to others over and over...possibly correlating to the rise in debt in this country. Anyone want to guess what percentage of DJs go broke and have to sell all their collections to someone else who will soon go broke? So, while the recording industry are a bunch of boneheads for a variety of other reasons (like their lack of support on HDCD, SACD, DVD-A, or DVD-V), I do think they might be right on this issue.

Last edited by Reticuli : 10-31-2007 at 12:07 AM.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:13 AM

Though maybe an increase in vinyl sales will mean we get better quality pressings instead of all that thin, quick to wear out crap that seems so common right now.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:23 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to djchris73
CDs aren't going anywhere.

Look at the number of DJ CD players for sale compared to all of the MP3 DJ softwares sales combined on ebay. You will see that CD players are here to stay. Especially if these CD players can play MP3 disks.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:25 AM

ALOT of the kids around here seem to be moving to laptop/digital only.....

Doolittle & Seymour Associates
Old 11-02-2007, 07:01 PM

I've been buying alot of reissued soul & jazz on 20 gram virgin vinyl.

I like!
Old 11-09-2007, 09:31 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to djchris73
CDs are NOT going away.

CDs won't go away (at least not for the next 5 years
and I'll put money on that) because the Record Labels
love the size, audio quality and longevity of CDs
(if you take care of them).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSA.audio
ALOT of the kids around here seem to be moving to laptop/digital only.....
You said it bro, KIDS.

If I was just starting out in this crazy thing we call "event dj'ing",
I too wouldn't hesitate to go the Serato Scratch Live path. It
would make sense to go laptop/digital and start the massive
library downloading.

Now if veterans are switching from
Vinyl to Laptop/Digital, directly skipping CDs, that's cool. I
switched over from Vinyl to CDs when it wasn't cool to use
CD players. (still play vinyl at home and at clubs) Nowadays,
it's no big thing for a big DJ to play with CDs.

As far as the resurrgence of Vinyl, I'm happy about that.
Remember kids, if you don't want your vinyl to sound like
crap 10 or 20 years from know, buy the best needles you can afford.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solchild
I've been buying alot of reissued soul & jazz on 20 gram virgin vinyl.

I like!

The fania catalog, omg been getting re-issues that sound great for 10.99 who is distributing this stuff, gotta get a shop goin...
Old 11-11-2007, 06:36 PM

vinyl CD hybrid

http://blog.wired.com/music/things/index.html

http://www.optimal-online.de/News.278.0.html?&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=65&tx_ttnews[backPid]=276&cHash=8360b72760

Last edited by Clydebuilt : 11-11-2007 at 06:38 PM.