Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2012, 10:40 AM

Rane MP-2016 - What I wish they would make

I love my Rane MP-2016, but there are a couple things I really wish Rane would do to update it.

- Make the face-plate anodized instead of painted. The current paint just wears off too easily.

- Rip out the crossfader. Perhaps make a 1U crossfader unit that connects similarly as the XP-2016.

- In place of the crossfader, put in controls for the effect/send return to be assignable to any channel, or the master, with a wet/dry knob. Maybe even double the controls and put a second effects send/return. If you don't have the XP-2016, make the effects loop on the mixer piece just 100% wet on the master as it is now.

- Perhaps add in a sound card with a select-able input on the matrix with Serato (and even Traktor) certification.

That would make one heck of an install mixer. If they even offered a fader (blech) version, they'd reach more of the market.

As old as the current design is, having 4 switchable line/phono inputs, 5 auxilary matrixed line inputs, and 6 channels to choose from makes the mixer still a great choice in todays digital world.

Someone must know people at Rane
Old 08-09-2012, 04:14 PM

First I must say that the 2016 series is a VERY GOOD product so far. I owned every version of it and it is still a classic design and the look already makes me smile every day. Classy like a well fitting suit. And it has a bit of history (Ministry of Sound booth etc.). I can only recommend it!

Quote:
- Make the face-plate anodized instead of painted. The current paint just wears off too easily.

100% agreement here. In 2012 we have laser writing for this (does not add but takes away from the black anodized surface).

Quote:
- Perhaps add in a sound card with a select-able input on the matrix with Serato (and even Traktor) certification.

Destroys the retro feeling of this unit..

I add to the list:
-make this available outside of USA and Canada for a FAIR PRICE

-make pots replacable as they wear out after a few years, especially the XP2016 EQs (!!!!)

-add the old knobs of the original once again (yes I know they are no longer produced..find a way)

-upgrade the cue button "part" as they do not feel fix

-imrove relationship with the rotary fans. Hello we are buying your stuff...
Old 08-09-2012, 04:23 PM

Well, a soundcard wouldn't even really be visible, other than a "SC" addition to each of the matrix knobs, and a USB connection on the bottom (run an extension, I hate those on the top easy to break USB connectors!).

It would simplify booths, and negate the entire connecting/unconnecting necceisty.

Although these days I really just prefer playing on the 2000's with USB sticks, no laptop...

And YES on the knobs! Those nubs were great!

They really could use non-plastic pots on the EQ's as well. The isolator on the MP2016 itself uses high quality pots, the XP uses plastic ones.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan0751
They really could use non-plastic pots on the EQ's as well. The isolator on the MP2016 itself uses high quality pots, the XP uses plastic ones.

Anyone know why this was done? I don't really use the EQs so I haven't noticed any difference in feel between the two except that the main ISO has a nice satisfying center click where the per channel EQs don't.

My SoundCloud
Old 08-09-2012, 11:54 PM

I find it interesting that when the MP/XP2016 came out, it was universally hated here on Wave.

As far as silk-screened faceplates go, Rane is moving towards laminated plastic "skins" on their consoles.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:10 AM

For some reason my paint have started to fade only above the EFX enable/disable switch. But I agree, this shouldn't happen, so an anodized faceplate would be awesome.

I don't dislike the idea of having a built in soundcard in a mixer like this, but I think it will make the price sky rocketing far beyond what most people would buy a mixer like this for. I mean, just see the Rane 68, that's an pretty expensive unit.

With some tweaking I think you can make your own crossfader as long as you figure out what pin does what. I actually think it's listed in the manual, and I'm pretty sure one guy in here made his own 1U unit? Makes me wonder if you could actually make your own VU/dB meter as well that works the same way as the original does in he XP unit.

I totally agree on the EFX part. I'm not a heavy user of EFX, but I think that per channel send/return is a must when using effects like echo in the mix. This is actually my biggest issue with this mixer, I simply don't see why they haven't made it that way! Again, maybe it's possible to mod a unit for this and put between the ribbon cable that connects the two units? I've seen a mod online by Hassy, so it's definitely possible... However, don't remember if he did an internal mod or made a standalone unit like the Bozak EQ-6 .
Old 08-22-2012, 11:51 AM

Add an expander with high quality per channel independent HP and LP filters with variable resonance and I'm sold!
Old 08-25-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbellsound
I find it interesting that when the MP/XP2016 came out, it was universally hated here on Wave.

Of course they did!

"Ugh, another copy of the Urei." "Doesn't sound as good."

Now that Urei's are scarce (and 90% of DJ's out there probably don't know what one is), the 2016 has been updated 3 times and has proven it's reliability and sound quality again and again, it's not so bad! It's quite good, in fact
Old 09-21-2012, 05:01 AM

it sure doesn't "color" the signal like other rotary mixers do this is an advantage not a disadvantage to me