Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-21-2010, 04:50 AM

New Serato

Serato finally has 4 deck capability, FX, Bridge to Ableton, here's the preview.

www.scratchlive.net/scratchlive/2
Old 01-21-2010, 06:38 AM

Thanks for the post, I really like the look of that!

I know a few Serato users who have been crying out for more decks. Personally I really like the idea of being able to use Ableton as a sort of sampler while spinning on Serato I think thats an absolutley brilliant idea, its seems you can either sync your Ableton tracks with Serato or scratch them…..very cool! I just play house so im not a scratcher but I think being able to have multiple samples and loops ready to go in Abelton would be brilliant. though I guess you could with do the same in most DVS's if you spent some time making samples, cutting up loops saving them as tracks or even just saving cue/loops points within your exisiting DVS?

The new feature in Serato that allows users to record into Ableton and then edit it the mix after in Abelton will be popular, I'm sure we've all had to do a few takes of set before we've got it right! I think Traktor 3 used to have a feature called Native Mix that allowed you to record your mix and edit it afterwards? I think Native Mix was only really any good if you used a midi mixer not an normal DJ mixer as the recorder mapped all the midi info which was then tweakable…I could be wrong??

Theres a bit more info here:

http://www.skratchworx.com/newspage.php4

Old 01-21-2010, 07:23 AM

Choices! We now have choices, and there will be more to come, still.

I like traktor, I already have serato, and now I will have to check this out when it is available, as well.

It does look cool.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:21 AM

this will be the peace of kit to use for serato/ableton

Old 01-21-2010, 01:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to charles0322
I have about half of my friends on Ableton/Serato and the other half using Traktor.. I think we're going to be using a hybrid setup at many of our gigs. I can use my NI X1 to control Serato too btw. APC40 looks cool and so does the NI Mashine.. Technology and reasonable priced toys & tools, I love IT!
Old 01-21-2010, 01:45 PM

Now, what I am wondering is IF we have a mixer with 2 USB ports, and have 4 decks, can we have 1 pair of CD TT's and a laptop running Serato, the other pair of decks and second laptop running Traktor at the same time? Of course, with 2 laptops, 4 decks and two separate interface units, I can do this anyway.

To me, this is a an ultimate setup.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:16 PM

Any of you fellow long-time vinyl cats are going to absolutely LOVE the new browsable cover art features in SL 2.0. Simply gorgeous. THANK YOU SERATO!
Old 01-21-2010, 03:19 PM

Yeah, I was looking at that. Looks similar to iTunes when you browse by cover art.

I have to say, I haven't fired up my system in months, so, during lunch took the laptop in to the ride, plugged it up, ran my Serato , with latest updates. I'm thinking, the Scratchlive 2 LOOKS great, has the features, and if it sounds even better, they have a WINNER!

Had to do it, hear some of my newest downloads. man, I just downloaded Seratos latest updates, and I must say, the Macbook/serato combo has been killer for me.

I want to A/B/C my original Serato with 24bit interface, and Scratchlive 2 and associated hardware, and Traktor Pro in my place on the same day.

I'm lovin it!
Old 01-21-2010, 11:49 PM

I'm running Ableton together with Traktor and a Faderfox DX2. I will be purchasing the APC40 shortly. I could spend a week talking about the pros and cons but I'm on the computer enough as it is. More or less there are 2 decks for Traktor on a UREI 1620 with 1200 MK2's and the third deck is Ableton doing my loops and samples. The problem with DJing with Ableton is you need a lot of time to properly warp your tracks (especially with older music... the straight warping doesn't work as well as the newer tracks these days).
Old 01-22-2010, 08:06 AM

Send a message via MSN to RETRODISKO
Warping can be a nightmare, specially as you said on Ripped vinyls or Disco music for example.

So you have open both programs? i do pretty much the same but i use ableton only as a sound fx processor,
Old 01-22-2010, 12:06 PM

when are they supposed to release 2.0?
Old 01-22-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubman5
I want to A/B/C my original Serato with 24bit interface, and Scratchlive 2 and associated hardware, and Traktor Pro in my place on the same day.

Would be interested in hearing your results. When I upgraded from SL1 to SL3 the A/B comparison was day/night difference. Whenever I'm spinning digital, I primarily use uncompressed WAV/AIF with an occasional 320, and with SL3 the sound is so thick, rich, warm and fat on big systems whereas the SL1 was a little anemic. The SL3 has been a huge help in balancing out the overall sound of my sets because I'm constantly bouncing back/forth between digital and vinyl. Things are nice and even now so to the end user (the dancefloor) there's hardly any difference at all. I say "hardly" because we all know nothing compares to a properly mastered vinyl if the rest of the signal chain on point and there are still a few heads who know the difference when played back.

Anyway, if you're a SQ guy (as I'm sure you are or why would you even care about comparing this stuff) I think you'll be very pleased with the SL3's sonic performance.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:16 PM

I have and use the SL 3, and it was definitely a big improvement to the SL 1.

Scratchlive2 will operate using the SL 3 interface? If so, that's cool, I already have that part.

I agree, properly mastered vinyl is still something, but, availability of tunes, as opposed to what I am doing now, ya know?

I have not been unhappy with my Macbook/Serato setup.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
I have and use the SL 3, and it was definitely a big improvement to the SL 1.

Scratchlive2 will operate using the SL 3 interface? If so, that's cool, I already have that part.

I agree, properly mastered vinyl is still something, but, availability of tunes, as opposed to what I am doing now, ya know?

I have not been unhappy with my Macbook/Serato setup.

Ahhh, ok then, didn't know you had SL3, well you already know the difference ;-)

Yes, SL3 will function with v2.0 and will provide three deck operation. The SIXTY-EIGHT will provide four deck operation.

Yes, Macbook+SL is currently an unbeatable combo IMO.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:21 PM

I have SL 3 as well, and i have noticed a huge difference in the output of the songs. Having the 24/96 option, gives you big improvements on your converted songs. I had SL 1 also and of course it was developmental and still lacked audio improvement, but most of all it got the job done.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmenianSoul
when are they supposed to release 2.0?

Soon. Beta is being hammered out as I type. I've been using it for about a week now and it is amazing. So on point and professional. The browsable artwork is truly a God-send. I'm flying through crates just like the old vinyl days, picking tracks lightning fast based solely on graphical cues that trigger my memory vs. reading a smattering of text like a phonebook.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:27 PM

very profound black science, i am actually going to make it a weekend project to add artwork to all my tracks, and when i saw the artwork browser feature, !!!!

I couldnt find the beta link, when i launched SSL and clicked updates, there were no beta links. Can you send me the link?
Old 01-22-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Science
Ahhh, ok then, didn't know you had SL3, well you already know the difference ;-)

Yes, SL3 will function with v2.0 and will provide three deck operation. The SIXTY-EIGHT will provide four deck operation.

Yes, Macbook+SL is currently an unbeatable combo IMO.
BUT, what IF I want to continue using my Rane 2016, or a Urei 1620? THEN they have to have an interface unit capable of 4in/4out for the decks, like Traktor does.

Truthfully, I will not give up using my 2016 or 1620 to goto something like the SIXTY-EIGHT! The SIXTY-EIGHT cannot even be rack mounted in my console, and I prefer my rotary mixers to everything else.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmenianSoul
very profound black science, i am actually going to make it a weekend project to add artwork to all my tracks, and when i saw the artwork browser feature, !!!!

I couldnt find the beta link, when i launched SSL and clicked updates, there were no beta links. Can you send me the link?

If you remember things graphically and associate what something sounds by what it looks like like I do, the time/effort invested in getting all your artwork in order will be well worth it. After using this new artwork grid plus having the added power of keyword search, it's hard for me to imagine why anyone would still be using CDs from here on out.

Regarding the beta link, I've been on the beta testing team for a while, but thought the downloads were always available to all. Wasn't aware of it til just now when I checked link for you, but it looks like that policy has recently changed and now beta links are tied and tracked to specific user's email accounts during testing periods then expire. Try hitting up a SL mod on the SL forum to see if they can add you to the beta group and send a new link.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
BUT, what IF I want to continue using my Rane 2016, or a Urei 1620? THEN they have to have an interface unit capable of 4in/4out for the decks, like Traktor does.

Truthfully, I will not give up using my 2016 or 1620 to goto something like the SIXTY-EIGHT! The SIXTY-EIGHT cannot even be rack mounted in my console, and I prefer my rotary mixers to everything else.

I am not feeling the layout of the 68 either, and the removable fader/rotary option doesnt seem appealing to me
Old 01-22-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:

Yep, I imagine Rane will eventually be coming out with another outboard interface that will support the four deck scenario like you described when used with other model mixers. I'm only interested in three decks combined with my rotary Rane Empaths so I'm good to go.

Agreed on rotary preference as well. I hope Rane addresses that segment of the market, but the lower numbers of us who want rotaries tell me we may be waiting a while.

I see the SIXTY-EIGHT as an attempt to de-throne the so-called "industry standard" Pioneer 500/600/800 as found in most venues. God I hope so.

Last edited by Black Science : 01-22-2010 at 12:55 PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:53 PM

Thanks Science, i will email them. I am getting tired of looking at my itunes as songs, and over time my brain is shrinking and i too am forgetting what the song is, thats why i am going to add artwork to bring back the recognintion of a vinyl sleeve or label.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:02 PM

No sweat. It's an amazing thing isn't it ArmenianSoul - how the brain works. I can go over to my walls of vinyl, randomly pull out any one of the thousands, ones I haven't played, much less looked at in eons and instantly know just by glancing at the cover or label exactly what the tracks are on any plate, what they sound like, where to cue them, where the break is, where to mixout, etc., etc.

Apple obviously understands this phenom and connection people have with music/art which is precisely why they implemented "Cover Flow" to not only their iTunes, but their entire file/OS system as well.

With SL 2.0 the mojo is BACK!
Old 01-22-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Science
Yep, I imagine Rane will eventually be coming out with another outboard interface that will support the four deck scenario like you described when used with other model mixers. I'm only interested in three decks combined with my rotary Rane Empaths so I'm good to go.

Agreed on rotary preference as well. I hope Rane addresses that segment of the market, but the lower numbers of us who want rotaries tell me we may be waiting a while.

I see the SIXTY-EIGHT as an attempt to de-throne the so-called "industry standard" Pioneer 500/600/800 as found in most venues. God I hope so.
And Rane and their marketing department is intelligent in this thinking, BUT it leaves me in the cold for a bit.

I never used the Pioneer DJM mixers in my system, I have seen, and heard, and fiddled with others Pio's. Touching a Pioneer mixer, and then touching the UREI, or a Rane 2016, well, you already know. So, for right now, they still leave me no option but to go over to Traktor. Because Traktors interface CAN handle four decks, and I want to keep the mixers I like using.

I have an opinion of the SIXTY-EIGHT, but not of it's sonic capabilities or build quality. As until I would see, hear, and touch it, how can I? LOL! But, according to the thread about the SIXTY-EIGHT, suggested list price of $3599, most likely selling for $2599, it will not de-throne Pioneer as the mass market leader, either. Even though it may very well be good, that price is pretty much in the UPPER market price segment, and is priced similar to what it would cost to own both the Rane 2016 mixer, and additional FX and control option unit that links to the 2016 via ribbon cable.

And, the word "EVENTUALLY" just doesn't make me smile, matter of fact, I have more than a few expletives on the tip of my tongue.

Last edited by clubman5 : 01-22-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
And Rane and their marketing department is intelligent in this thinking, BUT it leaves me in the cold for a bit.

I never used the Pioneer DJM mixers in my system, I have seen, and heard, and fiddled with others Pio's. Touching a Pioneer mixer, and then touching the UREI, or a Rane 2016, well, you already know. So, for right now, they still leave me no option but to go over to Traktor. Because Traktors interface CAN handle four decks, and I want to keep the mixers I like using.

I have an opinion of the SIXTY-EIGHT, but not of it's sonic capabilities or build quality. As until I would see, hear, and touch it, how can I? LOL! But, according to the thread about the SIXTY-EIGHT, suggested list price of $3599, most likely selling for $2599, it will not de-throne Pioneer as he mass market leader, either. Even though it may very well be good, that price is pretty much in the UPPER market price segment, and is priced similar to what it would cost to own both the Rane 2016 mixer, and additional FX and control option unit that links to the 2016 via ribbon cable.

Unfortunately, due to most people's logic when they go to purchase something, I think you're probably right about the ability to dethrone. It's a steep hill for Rane to climb when most consumers only look at cost when making decesions.

Can't wait to get to test drive one. If it's what I think it is, I'll be lobbying hard at local venues to get one for one simple reason - the dual USB feature. The ability for two DJs to plug in and seamlessly switch off is worth the price alone IMO. From what I hear about the widespread confusion and misery DJs have with the current system about not being able to figure out how to simply go about plugging in a couple of RCAs without making a mess of things is the $2,600 is worth every penny lol. I personally have never understood why the simple task of plugging in a couple of RCAs has been such a big issue for so many DJs, but apparently it has plagued the industry since DVS was first introduced. Makes me wonder how they're even able to get dressed in the morning and tie their shoes much less DJ. Anyway, this dual USB system means no more excuses for cats who can't seem to figure out how to handle that.