Links

Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2009, 02:34 PM

turntable isolation - what am i doing wrong?

I'm embarassed to even ask.....

Ive tried the rubber band round the ashtray method and continually have rubber bands snap. Ive bought 3 different brands of rubber bands and they still snap.
I dont remember the number but they are kinda wide and wrap twice round the ashtray. I go around with 2 sets of rubber bands.

What the hell am I doing wrong?

I know the turntable feet absord a good amount but my table on a shelf seems to vibrate too much even with some 1"x4" I screwed on underneath.

Thanks,

Efrain

Last edited by 7.8hertz : 05-12-2009 at 02:37 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:21 PM

i have some ashtrays at home, I'll give it a whirl and see what I can come up with...

got a pic of what you are doing?

you know, the whole picture is how many words thing?
Old 05-12-2009, 03:34 PM

Try this:

http://www.cognitivevent.com/sandbox.html

Give cinder blocks a shot if you have the space.......

v
Old 05-12-2009, 03:38 PM

You can also try packing tape instead of ashtrays as a base. Office depot packing tape and office depot rubber bands....1/2".....40 rubber bands on each tape roll did the trick for me.

v
Old 05-12-2009, 03:53 PM

Save yourself the effort and get these..the professional solution and it don't look shite

http://www.isonoe.com/

Old 05-12-2009, 06:22 PM

isonoe

I had to bin these isonoe on some decks to enable a rave main arena to play records some time ago. The deck just sat stretched the bands and sat on the alloy. I'll be using rubber bands fand tape rolls for next gig as my eighteens have pushed the rumble issue into play for my smallish system.

Pics of the ashtray are on here somewhere?
Old 05-12-2009, 06:45 PM

http://www.wavemusic.com/community/a...3&d=1187118023

here's a pic...

originally posted by mr. Paul Bell... i think the venue was CODA
Old 05-12-2009, 08:24 PM

Boy do I feel stupid.... The picture you referenced pointed out my mistake. I was looping the rubber bands through the cutouts. I just pulled them out of my store room and realized those damn cut outs are a bit sharp. Plus I had to twist the band and run it twice so it was tight. Maybe thats my issue. I will try again.

BTW: Anyone know how many sets of rubber bands I should use? Ive been using 2 sets each twisted and wrapped around again. If I run them over the tops instead I may not need to loop them and may need to double my count.

I will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistick Krewe
http://www.wavemusic.com/community/a...3&d=1187118023

here's a pic...

originally posted by mr. Paul Bell... i think the venue was CODA

Last edited by 7.8hertz : 05-12-2009 at 08:28 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveg
I had to bin these isonoe on some decks to enable a rave main arena to play records some time ago. The deck just sat stretched the bands and sat on the alloy. I'll be using rubber bands fand tape rolls for next gig as my eighteens have pushed the rumble issue into play for my smallish system.

Pics of the ashtray are on here somewhere?
We use the ISONOE Isolators on all our turntables & they end up at almost all the Big dance parties in Australia, I have had to instruct everyone we sell them to remove them from the turntables before road casing the turntables for transport as we found that a lot of our cases pushed the feet into the turntable and I felt it could wear on the ISONOE o-rings!
The other thing might be, if I remember right the first run of feet ISONOE did had softer o-ring than the current feet, so you could email them and get some o-rings to upgrade them. We upgraded all 32 sets in hire and we have been upgrading all the old ones we have sold to Production Company’s!

We use to use Gaffa tape roles with rubber bands for years until we found the ISONE feet & given the option I will stick with the feet over the bands any day!
Old 05-13-2009, 12:41 AM

WOWZERS that's an old picture! Coda is long gone but rubber banded ashtrays still live on. Webster Hall and Rebel use them under all turntables.

In extreme bass situations, these work better than sand, springs, wood or cement blocks or water bags.

While I'm sure the Isonoe feet work, I understand they're costly yet they don't perform any better than the banded ashtrays that cost like a buck each.

The trick is to not have a rubber suspended board under the turntables like the ancient RLA design as the board itself starts to vibrate. Have the turntable feet directly on the ashtrays combining the absorbing factors of the ashtrays and the turntables feet.

Also, when suspended, make sure the turntables float freely, not touching a CD player or mixer.

Later this week, I’ll take some better pictures along with the exact rubber bands that work well.

Last edited by pbellsound : 05-13-2009 at 12:46 AM.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:17 AM

Last night I wrapped 12 rubber bands per ash tray. I am using #64 (3 1/2" x 1/4"). I wasnt able to crank the system to test, but hope to in the next day or two. I might try adding another 4 per to stiffen it up a little more.

I look forward to seeing PBELLSOUND's pics and count.

Thanks again everyone.

Efrain
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tt_ashtrays_web.jpg
Views:	1336
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	2304  
Old 05-13-2009, 10:46 AM

YOu know whats funny? About a year ago I wantd to try this and started looking for the ashtrays. I swear man, I could not find those ashtrays ANYWHERE. Not locally, not online, nothing. Then I started looking for the rubber bands, same thing happened. I looked at all the office supply places and nobody had the right ones. Best they could do were packs that had all different sized bands and they only had like 2 or 3 large ones per pack. Would have taken like 30 packs lol.

Anyone know where to order the ashtrays and correct rubberbands online?

Watch me spin live Saturdays 3-5PM PST here
http://www.stickam.com/faderwaveradio

Baba Booey!
Old 05-13-2009, 11:30 AM

I found the ash trays at a party supply chain here called Party City. I found the rubber bands at Office Max but had to buy a 1LB box that happened to be latex free and i guess the orange color signifies that. I didnt purposely look for them to be that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin James
YOu know whats funny? About a year ago I wantd to try this and started looking for the ashtrays. I swear man, I could not find those ashtrays ANYWHERE. Not locally, not online, nothing. Then I started looking for the rubber bands, same thing happened. I looked at all the office supply places and nobody had the right ones. Best they could do were packs that had all different sized bands and they only had like 2 or 3 large ones per pack. Would have taken like 30 packs lol.

Anyone know where to order the ashtrays and correct rubberbands online?
Old 05-13-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.8hertz
I found the ash trays at a party supply chain here called Party City. I found the rubber bands at Office Max but had to buy a 1LB box that happened to be latex free and i guess the orange color signifies that. I didnt purposely look for them to be that way.

I have a party city here, i'll try that. I had tried Office Max for the rubber bands and they told me they didn't have them. Wierd.

Baba Booey!
Old 05-13-2009, 01:01 PM

walmart has "deepwell ashtrays" also...
about $1.

also online...
http://wholesalebarproducts.com/black-trays-p-340.html
you can also check bar/restaurant supply houses....

sometimes you cna get the rubberbands from your local USPS office
Old 05-13-2009, 01:08 PM

I have used these guys in the past with good results. Cant help on the size, but once you know that, they should have what you want.

http://www.rubberbands.com/
Old 05-13-2009, 02:53 PM

regarding Isonoe

The mark II bands are indeed an upgrade worth making if you still have the older type. Also if for some reason you are still having issues with them stretching out of compliance Isonoe can get you a heavier bandset. I used this set when installing the footers on a heavier TT....

Can't deny Isonoe are a lot more expensive then an ashtray & rubber bands, but would hesitate to say both solutions 'perform the same' without having done any objective testing. Both solutions use the same principle (rigidity meets compliance). I know they spent quite a bit of time at Isonoe getting the footers calibrated to optimize their cancellation potential, and with the SL1200 specifically in mind.

Either way its important something be done; Its so irritating when I see a pair of 1200's sitting on a table w/o being level or isolated in any way.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:48 PM

You bring up an interesting point. The 1200's weight is not evenly distributed. How do you address that to make them level? More rubber bands on certain ash trays?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmdubs
Either way its important something be done; Its so irritating when I see a pair of 1200's sitting on a table w/o being level or isolated in any way.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:52 PM

Kevin,

The ones I got from OfficeMax are the Alliance Latex-Free 3 1/2" x 1/4" mfg #37646, item # 21269672. They happened to be the only ones in that size. They werent cheap either. 380 count was about $8.50. I just didnt feel like driving around at that time in search for rubberbands.

Quote:
I have a party city here, i'll try that. I had tried Office Max for the rubber bands and they told me they didn't have them. Wierd.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Kevin,

The ones I got from OfficeMax are the Alliance Latex-Free 3 1/2" x 1/4" mfg #37646, item # 21269672. They happened to be the only ones in that size. They werent cheap either. 380 count was about $8.50. I just didnt feel like driving around at that time in search for rubberbands.

NIce, exactly what I was looking for. Thank you much

Found the ashtrays on line too:

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/tabl.../4075566B.html

Baba Booey!

Last edited by Kevin James : 05-13-2009 at 05:29 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:36 PM

My pleasure Kevin.

Quote:
NIce, exactly what I was looking for. Thank you much

Found the ashtrays on line too:

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/tabl.../4075566B.html
Old 05-15-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Boy do I feel stupid.... The picture you referenced pointed out my mistake. I was looping the rubber bands through the cutouts. I just pulled them out of my store room and realized those damn cut outs are a bit sharp. Plus I had to twist the band and run it twice so it was tight. Maybe thats my issue. I will try again.

BTW: Anyone know how many sets of rubber bands I should use? Ive been using 2 sets each twisted and wrapped around again. If I run them over the tops instead I may not need to loop them and may need to double my count.

I will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again everyone!

Yeah you should actually sand down the area between the cutouts with very fine sandpaper, it will prevent the rubber bands from getting cut.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originally written by daveg
The deck just sat stretched the bands and sat on the alloy

Hi,

You obviously had a damaged set of feet. If the turntable sat on the alloy housing without the cradle suspending it, you’d have no shock absorption whatsoever. There was an issue with the rings stretching over time on the Mk1 sets (shown in Vinyl Junkie’s post) made in 2004/5, and Mk2 silicone upgrade kits were supplied free-of-charge to anyone who emailed / telephoned us about the problem. This version has been shipping from 2006 to date. The Mk2 also has longer bolts and thicker, ‘high memory’ bushes, increasing clearance between the alloy housing and the turntable base. To illustrate clearance I’ve attached a photo of the Mk2 foot with silicone cradle attached to an SL1210.

Many of the world’s most respected professionals depend on the product. It would not have remained in production, being used in many of the world’s most respected nightclubs, for approaching 5 years, if it didn’t function to the highest standard. The user list speaks for itself: http://www.isonoe.com/users.htm

If anyone does receive a faulty product, please give us a chance to rectify the situation via email / telephone before making a negative post here. We take customer satisfaction extremely seriously.

I would urge anyone with a Mk1 set who reads this to contact me on the email below.

Best regards,
Shaun (Isonoe Support)

ShaunG(at)isonoe.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk2 Feet.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	2305  Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk2 Foot2.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	2306  
Old 05-18-2009, 01:17 PM

Thumbs up

Gentlemen,

I must say I am impressed with the above post. The Isonoe company states they had an issue with a run of production product at a specific time, BUT they can and WILL rectify the problem IF you give them the chance to! This is GREAT customer service, IMO, and I support this, and them 1000%.

Give them the chance to make it right!

Shaun, I applaud your post, it shows proper attention to your product, and your customers satisfaction,

SPOT ON! + 3 and CLIMBING!
Old 05-18-2009, 01:33 PM

agreed...

signs of a top flight company IMHO...

very cool to see