Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-20-2007, 06:26 PM

Sbs - Systems By Shorty & Lotus Sound Bar, Best Sound System Nomination

I wanted to Congratulate my client Paul @ Lotus Sound Bar, Hawaii. He has been nominated for a 2008 Club World Award for,

*Best Sound System (Systems By Shorty) by Club Sytems International magazine

Glad to see your continued success Regards Shorty
Old 11-20-2007, 07:10 PM

Thanks Shorty, it's all you! So far, comments made by some DJs we brought down were,

Steve Porter
"I play all over, but this system feel like silk! so easy to mix on especially mix in the 1st track. reminds me Stereo Canada!"

Johnny Fiasco
"what a nice toy! it reminds me late 80's...your guys are pourist"

Dajae
"the sound system is taking me back to the old days. wow.."

Jask
"I am in heaven...."

Ak1200 (planet of the drum tour 2007)
"the best system in the whole entire tour...thank you!"

Dj Emma (Japan)
"system sounds really good! ...better than clubs in Japan..."

Bryce (see sound lounge)
"very good system. warm yet clean..."

There are many more. I am happy that DJs like it very much. I personally enjoy it very much.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:41 AM

Congrats Shorty, well deserved!
Old 11-21-2007, 06:18 PM

Congrats

Hope more club-owners take notice what a good/proper system can do.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:53 PM

Well done, now all we need is a NYC club with an SBS!
Old 11-21-2007, 09:26 PM

Congrats Paul and Shorty! I remember seeing pictures of that room and seeing the firepower in there and thinking damn that room must pump!

If I'm ever in Hawaii....
Old 11-21-2007, 09:30 PM

LA needs a club soundsytem crafted by SBS badly. I have yet to hear a great system here yet.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:46 PM

San Francisco too...

Watch me spin live Saturdays 3-5PM PST here
http://www.stickam.com/faderwaveradio

Baba Booey!
Old 11-25-2007, 03:58 PM

Thanks

for the compliments,

i am very proud of this nomination and I feel is the best one for me yet because of it being a fresh Design & install in a teritory not usually known for clubbing, that is now a major stopping ground for the guys to play this space from all over the world because of my system. all the hand made Prototype components in this system, from custom Hand made Thrive Audio amps, to Thrive Audio & SBS Modified processing with SBS Custom Cabinetry, and to be acknowledged for this sound system feels special to me because we really went out our way to make this 1 of a kind, Totally unique, and as custom as you can get.

it really makes me proud that Club Systems International magazine and clubbers are taking notice of this space & nominating me now 4 times in 6 years.

The Nomination is For Lotus Sound Bar, in Hawaii by, Club Sytems International magazine, for the 2008 (Club World Award)

They have nominated (Systems By Shorty) & Lotus Sound Bar for the *Best Sound System category

Here is my present & past nominations:

2008 CWA Nomination Best sound system Lotus sound Bar, Honolulu
Hawaii
2006 CWA Nomination Best sound system Stereo MTL
2005 CWA Nomination Night Stalker Award Stereo MTL
2004 CWA Nomination Best sound system Stereo MTL

www.systemsbyshorty.com

Last edited by soundmanshorty : 11-25-2007 at 04:01 PM.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:36 PM

Here are a few system pics of the SBS system nominated

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnkarrik
Congrats Paul and Shorty! I remember seeing pictures of that room and seeing the firepower in there and thinking damn that room must pump!

If I'm ever in Hawaii....

for 2008

www.systemsbyshorty.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lotus finished 7.jpg
Views:	1041
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	1641  Click image for larger version

Name:	booth shot 2.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	1642  Click image for larger version

Name:	booth crowd shot.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	1643  Click image for larger version

Name:	rack thrive amps.jpg
Views:	516
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	1646  
Attached Images
File Type: psd Thrive amps.psd (94.1 KB, 339 views)
Old 12-05-2007, 11:02 AM

Send a message via AIM to charles0322
Beautiful

What a room, looks like a Thorens table! The stack looks sick, congrats. I only hope to hear this room oneday Shout out from your peeps in Montreal!
Old 01-24-2008, 07:42 PM

Here is a recent youtube

video of Lotusoundbar, with Quinten Harris to give you a idea of the vibe of the club/crowd and booth video shots with the SBS CWA Nominated system with rack of Thrive amps Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UjJKgfdAxg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tAKDiqeZSk

www.systemsbyshorty.com

Last edited by soundmanshorty : 01-24-2008 at 08:02 PM.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:55 PM

SICK SICK SIIIIIIIIICK!. With the addition of the 3 CDJ's above the turntables this just became my favorite club booth I've ever seen. I absolutely LOVE that layout. That Is exactly how I want my home booth set up. I have all 6 of the decks, the Urie LE and teh Thrive isolator, but I dont have a way of positioning everything like that. And with that system hooked in to that booth, its absolute perfection IMO.

Quentin was tearin that shit up too. Looks like he was loving the system.

Congrats again on the nomination Shorty, great work.

Baba Booey!
Old 01-24-2008, 11:54 PM

check out this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnVnVDGOdNU
it's from a customer.

Quentin was rocking it. Simply amazing. He was consistently using all 3 cdjs. The sound system obviously made it happened. Anyone on this forum ever come to Honolulu, please let me know.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shihp001

Quentin was rocking it. Simply amazing. He was consistently using all 3 cdjs. The sound system obviously made it happened.
Yes, this is VERY true.

Paul, I know you have spent countless hours on your SBS system, and now that you have had her long enough to know her spots and have an intuitive and
total feel for the system, Im sure you have found that mixing on your system comes effortlessly. You can hear yourself clearly in the mix, mixes flow seamlessly with no ending or beginning. You dont have to think it just happens on its own, and your mixes blend musically and harmonically.

The system JUST seems to suck you in, and make you want to play music.

Ill even bet you have gotten caught up playing music, and lost track of time. Most of all, proper sounding systems, as with the best vintage club systems that inspired the SBS design philosophy, and sonic goals, these systems, and your system, allow you, or the user an unprecedented and uncanny level of creative ability. You can express your yourself, and the music and the clubs clientele DOES in fact notice these things. This type of system makes you THE DJ, a composer using prerecorded music.

Then of course, THE BASS. When you kick that MUTHAF__KA, it is the ultimate excitement, and commands your crowd. The highs are silky, but lightning fast, and the midrange is GORGEOUS. Vocals sound real, and present, you have the unique sound and attributes of horn loaded hi,s, mids, , low mids, bass, and sub bass. The sound is IMMEDIATE with transients that reach out with the dynamic jump of a real performance, or what seems close to it!

People praise the system and music, and sometimes you talk to audio pros, they will tell you "No thats outdated, and no one does that anymore, You should be digital",etc, or whatever, but your ears say different. And of course, going to another club in Honolulu, with a system that is using current technology, and componentry, you hear it RIGHT AWAY.

It,s NO CONTEST, you will keep what you have, hands down!
Old 01-25-2008, 03:23 AM

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin James
SICK SICK SIIIIIIIIICK!. With the addition of the 3 CDJ's above the turntables this just became my favorite club booth I've ever seen. I absolutely LOVE that layout. That Is exactly how I want my home booth set up. I have all 6 of the decks, the Urie LE and teh Thrive isolator, but I dont have a way of positioning everything like that. And with that system hooked in to that booth, its absolute perfection IMO.

Quentin was tearin that shit up too. Looks like he was loving the system.

Congrats again on the nomination Shorty, great work.

I think the layout is great aswell, you have everything within arms reach, without having to stretch to reach for your source or your processing.

This month comming up we are doing upgrades so this system in lotus, it will greatly improve it to another level.

Thanks for the kind words guys

www.systemsbyshorty.com
Old 01-25-2008, 03:30 AM

ANALOG RULES!

ANALOG FOR THE 21ST CENTURY
Old 01-25-2008, 03:36 AM

Scott,
you are exactly right. Most of my DJs including myself, always end up not realizing the club closing time, its so much fun and don't want to end. Our resident djs are very close to each other. Usually they will tag team the entire night. Say one guy is playing, while he is getting the next records, others will jump to the dj console and start tweeking the isolator, of course in a good operation manner. It just suck you in and never want to stop. Great example, Louie Vega ended up playing until 5:30am, although our closing time is 4am!! We are just like bunch of kids got hook on this expensive toy never want to go home.

Local sound installers and those so-call sound techs are telling me that they can do better with less $, how much digital is better, how much space I can save by having just 2U unit that does all from eq, xover, to limiting the sysytem, etc. Not even one positive thing they have said. There are some local sound guys refuse to even come to listen. Narrow minded fxxkaz!!

As long as I like it, those people can say anything they want, and they are not making even a dime from me.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:52 AM

Quote:

Local sound installers and those so-call sound techs are telling me that they can do better with less $, how much digital is better, how much space I can save by having just 2U unit that does all from eq, xover, to limiting the sysytem, etc. Not even one positive thing they have said. There are some local sound guys refuse to even come to listen. Narrow minded fxxkaz!!

You got the right plan, listen to your ears. I bet those same sound guys are tellin u why other spots they installed don't sound as good as your's also.
Keep up the good work, you have a quality space.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:58 AM

Wow, thats awsome!
Old 01-25-2008, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjonk
The whole set up looks awesome. It's always nice to see a Bozak mixer in A setup. I was just wondering how the set up works? Does the DJ have an option to use either mixer at any given time or does the DJ have to choose which mixer he would like to use?
Thank you in advance, for your answer.
John

I know for sure I've seen a Bozak in that set up before, but in the videos posted it looks like there are two seperate Urei 1620's. I could be trippin, but it looks to me like both mixers are Urei's.

On a side note, one of my girlfriend's best friends is planning a destination wedding in Hawaii this coming September. I am making it my mission to stop in and check this club and system out for myself. Infact I am going to make it a manditory deal breaker... no visit to Lotus... no show up for the wedding lol. Actually truth be told, i couldn't give two shits about the wedding, it just seems like a great excuse to go to Hawaii and check out this club

Baba Booey!
Old 01-25-2008, 05:51 PM

Hey quick question shihp001, those are the 1000 MK3's right? have you had any issues/problems with them? Just curiouse. I was nervouse about buying an MK3 as i have 2 MK2's and i heard there were many problems. i finally bit the bullet and bought an MK3 as my 3rd deck and the only regret I have had is that I didn't do it sooner.

Baba Booey!
Old 01-25-2008, 08:06 PM

Turntables are 1200 m5gs. I have no problem with them at all. If anything, the pitch control is tighter than say mk3. And I can't tell the differences in between regular pitch control vs digital pitch control.

In the current set up, there are 2 1620s, LE and the original 1620 with silver face plate. I am using Bozak as the back up, for some reason the original 1620 breaks down a lot. There is a hip-hop dj booth on the dance floor that's tight in to Urei LE and can be used at all time.

Per dj's style and request, I have a A&H 62 as an option, it's tight into the Urei LE when in use. Everything is running through the Urei 1620LE and never get taken down. There is a "no pioneer mixer" policy at lotus.

I love the bozak but for it's too bass heavy with today's music. I use it whenever there is a classic disco night. I only let DJs who are good at controlling the sound level to use the Bozak, Bozak have too much power!!

With shorty's advise, I bought the Ashly line mixers and use it as the pre amp for the cdjs. Now, the cd output level and sound quality is very close compare to vinyl. Big difference.

Kevin, let me know when you come to Honolulu. I will take care of you and show you around.

Last edited by shihp001 : 01-25-2008 at 08:09 PM.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:35 PM

Quote:
There is a "no pioneer mixer" policy at lotus.

Thats the best rule ever
Old 01-25-2008, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Turntables are 1200 m5gs. I have no problem with them at all. If anything, the pitch control is tighter than say mk3. And I can't tell the differences in between regular pitch control vs digital pitch control.

In the current set up, there are 2 1620s, LE and the original 1620 with silver face plate. I am using Bozak as the back up, for some reason the original 1620 breaks down a lot. There is a hip-hop dj booth on the dance floor that's tight in to Urei LE and can be used at all time.

Per dj's style and request, I have a A&H 62 as an option, it's tight into the Urei LE when in use. Everything is running through the Urei 1620LE and never get taken down. There is a "no pioneer mixer" policy at lotus.

I love the bozak but for it's too bass heavy with today's music. I use it whenever there is a classic disco night. I only let DJs who are good at controlling the sound level to use the Bozak, Bozak have too much power!!

With shorty's advise, I bought the Ashly line mixers and use it as the pre amp for the cdjs. Now, the cd output level and sound quality is very close compare to vinyl. Big difference.

Kevin, let me know when you come to Honolulu. I will take care of you and show you around.

Crazy to hear that the original 1620 breaks down a lot.
How are you finding the sound of the LE? Have you compared it to a&h? And is the LE modified in any way?
That booth and club looks amazing! There is nothing I would change there other then swap the MK5Gs for some Mk2 or standard Mk5s sorry but Im not a fan of the Gs but this is just personal preference.
Have you thought of running the CDJs through external DACs?