Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-18-2014, 09:43 PM

Pioneer PLX-1000 DJ Turntable

Thought I'd throw this up. We new something was coming...

As expected, its a Technics copy cat and from a business end its a good idea. They'll become a drop in replacement for most venues as many 1200s haven't been maintained but for a street price of around $800 US I can't see people buying them over a used set of Technics decks (even though they've gone up in price). However, with the marketing machine that Pioneer is who knows.
Old 07-19-2014, 05:28 PM

Will they be as bullet-proof as the 1200s?
Old 07-21-2014, 03:10 AM

Sure keeps a few more people interested in playing with the WAX
Old 08-21-2014, 08:03 AM

the marketing of it is ridiculous <<some next generation improvements, including a high-torque direct drive system, multi-pitch control, club-grade build and sound quality, and detachable power and audio cables. >>
wooow detachable cables mmmm... next generation indeed...

i would expect something revolutionary packed with feature like the reloop 8000, or at least have a line output..

But the price of technics is off the roof now, and i would prefer to buy something new so i am thinking of buying one of these..
Old 08-27-2014, 02:43 AM

The wow & flutter doesn't seem any better than the Super OEMs, though it could be a conservative measurement. DSP controlled stuff has come quite a long way in contrast to the older analog systems. Is it even a linear drive motor or a pulse one? A pitch bend joystick would be nice like on the Vestax. I'd also like to know how shielded the power supply and motors are from causing EMI/RFI with certain cartridges. Also, the tone arm mass or appropriate compliance tip to match with it would be useful info. If they're going to charge that much money, Pioneer should be throwing in special vibration-reducing feet, external power supplies, and some new cartridges.

http://www.openfuelstandard.org/2011...pen-wager.html
Old 08-27-2014, 02:45 AM

It is nice to see they included a tracking error spec, though. I never could get Numark to do the test on theirs.

Old 10-08-2014, 03:20 PM

This is (probably) a HanPin rebadge made for 2 types of buyers

1. Pioneer fanboys that buy everything with a pioneer logo

2. club owners / rentals / ... that want to buy new gear once written off

Is this a technics clone ?

No, it's not...no company in the world could copy that table (100%) and get away with a retail price below $1000/1500. People forget that the number of SL12x0's sold is insane (+ 3.000.000 !!)

That market does not exist anymore, so the potential investment had to be much, much lower... That's why they bought a finished product from HanPin, added some farkles for the marketing boys and seller them for a premium.

And for the record, the reloop 8000 fail bigtime !
Adding tap-buttons (midi) on a record player that was already shabby on the damping side...who does come up with ridiculous ideas like these ? It is obvious that real vinyl dj's are not consulted when designing a new turntable.... (because they would say, the SL's is all I need).

Last edited by Johnny Drama : 10-08-2014 at 03:29 PM.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:27 AM

i actually bought them since i couldn't find a desert sl pair. They are actual very good and the pitch fader is very accurate i am very happy with them and i recommend them to anyone looking fro a new pair of tables.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drama

No, it's not...no company in the world could copy that table (100%) and get away with a retail price below $1000/1500. People forget that the number of SL12x0's sold is insane (+ 3.000.000 !!)

That market does not exist anymore, so the potential investment had to be much, much lower... That's why they bought a finished product from HanPin, added some farkles for the marketing boys and seller them for a premium.

Adding tap-buttons (midi) on a record player that was already shabby on the damping side...who does come up with ridiculous ideas like these ? It is obvious that real vinyl dj's are not consulted when designing a new turntable.... (because they would say, the SL's is all I need).

When looking into getting one of the super OEM tables is there any one of them that's better than the rest?

My SoundCloud
Old 10-21-2014, 03:20 PM

I would not say better (same design), but some there are some features that some tables have and others don't... (line-out signal, with/without needles, ...)

This is the list (known to me, there are a few more):
  • Stanton (ST-150 & StR8-150) -> expensive
  • Omnitronic (DD5250) -> no personal experience with this table
  • Citronic (PD45) -> no personal experience with this table
  • Akiama (DJ4000 Accura) -> availability is good & good value
  • American Audio (HTD 4.5) -> owned these, good value and best design (imho)
  • KAM (DDX5000) -> no personal experience with this table
  • Synq (Xtrm 1) -> most sold (dj) super OEM, availability is good & good value
  • Reloop (Rp6000 Mk5) -> availability is good & good value, the only brand that is still updating the TT (6b now) +7K & 8K models

These superOEM's are solid players, you won't regret buying one/set (but ALWAYS check the bearings of the tone arm)
Spare parts are another problem once / if you need them...

Greets Johnny

Last edited by Johnny Drama : 10-21-2014 at 03:36 PM.
Old Yesterday, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drama

DJs don't design or feature-spec this stuff. Said OEM, for instance, makes some amazing things that seem spec'ed and refined by people who have never DJed before. 5 Minutes with a lot of it and I can list half a dozen things if resolved would put them in the big leagues, but it's a pattern -- seems the equivalent of American sitcoms being written by people whose idea of sexuality and romance is what they see on other sitcoms... not uncommon in Hollywood. Round and round.