Links

Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-13-2011, 01:17 PM

No vintage Bozak or Urei mixers on eBay for a while now...

Have we passed a rarity milestone or is this just a slow period?

Discuss.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:32 PM

2 mint bozaks sold in the last few weeks
and a very nice 1620
Old 01-13-2011, 01:33 PM

i think johnk had one up about a month ago..recently the ones i have seen have all been "buy it now" rather than auction.dont think they hang around too long!
Old 01-13-2011, 01:37 PM

also saw a djr400 last week
Old 01-13-2011, 01:44 PM

saw two early CMA-10-2Ds recently

with the mono cards, and cue on the left side
Old 01-13-2011, 03:06 PM

there is a bozak on creigslist in nyc for $1000.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:35 PM

I just recently sold a Bozak DLC on 12/23/10
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MESOX:IT

item # 290515224266

and on 12/08/10
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=290510467531

item # 290510467531

These are ended auctions so they will show up on ebay for a limited time and you will have to have an ebay account to view them.

The mixers that I have listed on ebay have sold very quickly, so I think that this is not a slow period or a rarity milestone but a time to buy them before you can no longer get them in this condition any longer.

If you are interested in purchasing a Bozak mixer built by Buzzy Beck, please contact me.

email: djjohnk@sbcglobal.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by matsm
Have we passed a rarity milestone or is this just a slow period?

Discuss.

Last edited by djjonk : 01-13-2011 at 03:45 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:02 PM

I must have missed those recent BIN listings. There is a 1620LE right now sold by HTFR in UK but that isn't what I'm looking to discuss here. (@paul1979: I love the DJR400 but it's not vintage )

I remember not so long ago when there was always at least one live listing for a Bozak or a Urei mixer. Even right now there are less of the various Urei processing units that there used to be pages upon pages of, hence my wondering is this just a slower period for vintage electronics or are these type of units just getting harder to come by. I'm bringing this up because I've always wondered when we would get to a point where it would be virtually impossible to buy the 'real' mixers anymore.

I guess you are right John, those who don't have their vintage mixer yet probably better act sooner than later. I have had my Bozak mixer since 2003 but if I'm ever on the market for a second unit, I'll contact you for a quote.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:54 PM

I bought a Cma-10-2d cheap $480 about a week ago dude bought in 1986 and it was redone by ana logic Que in 1988. they replace the pots with black apls other than that its all orignal. I'm looking for caps so I could do the work myself, I know this site talked about this before and how they don't make black gate no mre but whats the next best thing? maybe I just take to Mr. mario but I would like to do some work myself. where to start? Don't know how to post pics yet sorry.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:55 AM

$480... nice score!

You're asking what kind of caps to use as replacements? Other people will be able to give you more precise answers but for what it's worth, here's a pic of one of my Bozak's cards with the new caps. They were installed by Buzzy (via John Kimura) so I assume they are a good replacement part!

(apologies for the large image, I think it might be necessary though to read the writing on the caps)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainEssentials
I bought a Cma-10-2d cheap $480 about a week ago dude bought in 1986 and it was redone by ana logic Que in 1988. they replace the pots with black apls other than that its all orignal. I'm looking for caps so I could do the work myself, I know this site talked about this before and how they don't make black gate no mre but whats the next best thing? maybe I just take to Mr. mario but I would like to do some work myself. where to start? Don't know how to post pics yet sorry.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:03 AM

Started fooling around with contrast settings in iPhoto to see if I could read the small print and I think I figured it out!

The blues are by Nichicon and the large red/orange says "Ind. Brasileira".

Sherlock Holmes up in here
Old 01-14-2011, 04:34 AM

Quote:
What is the correct value of the pots in your bozak? (Didn't ever had one here...)

Here in germany there's allready a shop where you can order old "black beauties". You can find it on

www.familygate.eu

The actual ALPS RK27 are the best alternative for the price. Think you'll get these everywhere in your country.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:36 AM

Lime Twig...The orange capacitor with the funny printing is a Mallory Brand Capacitor if you look real close at the print under it. I have a couple of these and they also came from Buzzy. The black beauties used appear to all be RK40 numbers and are dual 50K in both original Bozak & Urei mixers. The list from this company shows a possible match but it is a linear taper. All Bozak factory black Alps pots had eyelets for the wires and I do not think they are available very easily. The original Alps RK40 black Urei 1620 style pot that most people use for a replacement has pc board style mountings. If anyone needed the number I am sure I could get the original Bozak Alps number from Buzzy. He once told me that he has a lot of the original company paper work still on file.

Last edited by Captainjr : 01-14-2011 at 09:50 AM.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:37 AM

i agree, my understanding is that the Bozak ALPs are rated for 10X the life of the Urei ones.... 1M vs 100K rotations, something along those lines....

I believe the Bozak Alps were a custom configuration....

GREAT SCORE on that early unit...

RE caps... folks seem to dig those nichicons with silk fibers also...
i've even had pretty good luck with inexpensive NTEs in a pinch...

have fun!
Old 01-14-2011, 06:42 PM

http://www.wavemusic.com/community/a...d=129504346 4
Old 01-14-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:

doesn't work...

for me at least
Old 01-14-2011, 07:27 PM

opps, trying to post those picks
Old 01-14-2011, 07:46 PM

Hope this works
Old 01-14-2011, 07:53 PM

Well due to my new house build costing more and more by the week i might be listing a Bozak and a Urei on eBay soon!!

Life sucks but i supose i don't need tones of gear sitting on shelves not being used anyway!!!!!
Old 01-14-2011, 07:57 PM

http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...StreetStudios/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SUC50010x.jpg
Views:	965
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	2818  
Old 01-14-2011, 08:33 PM

I would like to find a face plate but when was the last time you seen a Sliver one with cue on the left side?
it also has a scratchy master pot I was looking for info on how to clean them and came across this site.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/...0-disassembled

I'm going maybe do those same caps buzzy did on that card he's the expert.

I posted this ohter card from Mario to compare, looks like a difference in resistors. carbon composition vs. carbon flim please correct me if I'm wrong.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3217.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	2819  
Old 01-15-2011, 08:10 AM

The green card shown by Lime Twig is and early production part. The brown card you show is of later production. For the face plate you may want to contact John K. of this board because he recently sold an original silver face mixer that had a mint faceplate from old inventory owned by Buzzy Beck. The que was in the later standard right side but I would think if anyone would have it that it might be Buzzy Beck.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:26 AM

I have not posted much hear just want to add

UREI AND BOZAK MIXERS ARE ALWAYS IN STOCK parts and more .....
Just send an email to djmariog@aol.com

Best bet is to see my facebook as many items added daily.

Thanks Happy New Year to ALL
Mario Giannotte

MG Audio
Repairs / Sales / Rental of Audio Equipment
Specializing in UREI & BOZAK Mixers

Ultimate Sounds
Professional Disc Jockey - Video Jockey Entertainers
"Providing the best non stop music for all occasions"

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...91758172102293

http://www.facebook.com/srch.php?nm=MARIO%20GIANNOTTE
Old 01-15-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainjr
...The list from this company shows a possible match but it is a linear taper. ...
Yes, I know, log taper is the coorect way. But a linear taper also works. tried it. Curve is different of course, but you can get used to it.

@Mario
You allready have RK40 50K log stereo?

Or do you use RK27?
Old 01-15-2011, 10:17 PM

Smile

[quote=bossa nolyx] Yes, I know, log taper is the coorect way. But a linear taper also works. tried it. Curve is different of course, but you can get used to it.

Back in 1977 Bozak corporation sent two employees to Japan to meet with Alps engineers to design and developed the RK40 potentiometers. Bozak had a 5 year exclusive lease on the finished product. These were custom tapers with military grade specifications for durability. Very few of these are found anymore. When the lease expired to Bozak the potentiometer was cloned by Urei for their 1620 mixer that originally used the Noble brand potentiometers. Some corners were cut and they were made a little cheaper but they were still superior to anything being manufactured at the time. No doubting you can make a linear taper pot work but this statement is a direct quote from Elliott Sound Products web site under the topic of Beginners guide to potentiometers. This is in reference to using a linear pot and adding resistors to make it become logarithmic. “All this tapering proved a rather expensive exercise, so manufacturers economised ("they" won't notice the difference!), and worked out a method of using two resistance elements of differing resistivity, and joining them to create what I referred to as the "Commercial log" taper. In short, it doesn't work (not properly, anyway), and the discontinuity where the two sections join is almost always audible”. and by the way to MainEssentials...the silver faceplate you need is available from Buzzy Beck. I checked for you and he is suppose to have 1 and only one silver originalface plate with the Cue switch on the left side. The CMA 10-2D is the model number on it. This was the first produced version of the DL series stereo mixers. Very few internal parts are interchangeable with the later model depending on the production date. The D mixer is a true stereo mixer in that it uses individual mono cards to create a stereo signal. These are tough to find in good condition. I hope this helps.

Last edited by Captainjr : 01-15-2011 at 10:38 PM.