Links

Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-26-2003, 06:45 AM

Question Researching article on seminal clubs & their systems - any help?!

Hi guys

My nameís Nick, Iím the editor of the Red Bull Music Academy, which strives to provide a platform for upcoming producers and DJs to share info and attend lectures and workshops given by names within the industry. It takes place over a few weeks annually the site archives as much of what goes on there as possible.

That over with, Iím currently writing an article on clubs that have shaped the music itself, rather than champion it. These obviously include the Garage, Zanzibar, Warehouse/Music Box etc.

Iím trying to get things right, rather than continue pushing the usual mis-conceptions etc. One thing Iím trying to do is have a detailed breakdown of the sound systems in these clubs. The thought behind this is that if folk in their late teens, early twenties missed out on the opportunity to visit these clubs, paired up with the fact that thereís hardly anything today that comes close, then describing just how people like Long enabled DJS like Levan, Hardy etc such control over the sound may help give readers a better idea of just how amazing these places must have been...

Now Iíve got all the details I need for the Loft, Garage and Zanzibar, but Iím having trouble getting detailed specs for the Warehouse and Music Box. I know Williams had a Long three-way at the heart of his system, but Iíd love to know more, particularly about Hardyís input into the sound when the club relocated and renamed itself.

Iím also wondering if the space was acoustically tested and treated to the extent of the Garage. I suspect not, since several of the Boxís locations were falling apart.

Iím also gonna be looking for details of the system at Heaven in the UK, around the time of the Rage nights and the system currently housed at Plastic People.

So apologies for the length of this post! And humble thanks to anyone who can help me get some of this history over to younger dudes!

N

http://www.redbullmusicacademy.com
Old 08-26-2003, 07:31 AM

Hi Nick,
Sounds like a worthy mission.

For info on the Music Box, and the Warehouse,
I suggest you take a short stroll over to the messageboard at deephousepage.com,
where I'm sure someone will have the info you need.

Good luck,
Jeremy
Old 08-26-2003, 08:42 AM

Thanks Jeremy. After coming across that white paper on the Paradise Garage, I figured I could translate that more into English for the not too tech folk, and use it as a basis of a way to imagine more clearly how powerful clubs like that were back in the day... Now I'm trying to do the same breakdown for the other places.

I'm over at deephousepage right now, but it's a little tricky to repeat the request, as you have to register to post, but they're not accepting any new members at the moment. Maybe their server is running to capacity...

Last edited by nick cope : 08-26-2003 at 08:44 AM.
Old 08-26-2003, 05:00 PM

Nick

To get the full deal on the Warehouse, the scene, and its sound system, I would look to get an interveiw with the DJ who played there! This DJ would be Frankie Knuckles! Im sure he would have the info you seek!

BTW, check your PM,s!
Old 08-26-2003, 05:10 PM

nick

Email me at scottyj8@hotmail.com
Old 08-26-2003, 05:19 PM

Incidentally

The systems that shorty does as well as my own system, are Richard Long inspired. We use his crossover, and have cabinets made that are duplicates of the original RLA cabinetry!

We also use very similar power equations and the highest quality speakers and drivers, processing, and amplification!

If you go to Stereo in Montreal you can get a VERY good idea of what being at the legendary Paradise Garage was like!

And, the people who go to Stereo will tell you, Stereo is the best! So, here we have a scene that is going where the patrons hear and experience the best audio with the best DJ,s! And these kids will tell you THEY KNOW the DIFFERENCE!
Old 08-26-2003, 07:17 PM

Robert Williams

Robert Williams was the owner of the Warehouse and the Box. He is still around. Here is a link to an interview. Listen to the audio interview, it has some info about the system.

http://www.deephousepage.com/robertw...sinterview.htm
Old 08-26-2003, 08:38 PM

Thanks for your help guys, I'll mail you first thing in the morning, Scotty.

Yeah, I already checked out the Williams interview, very interesting. Would like to know more about exactly what changes Ron Hardy made when the Music Box relocated, which I gather it did several times - not even the interviewer managed to exactly pinpoint all of them in order...

Thanks again.
Old 08-26-2003, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by nick cope
Thanks for your help guys, I'll mail you first thing in the morning, Scotty.

Yeah, I already checked out the Williams interview, very interesting. Would like to know more about exactly what changes Ron Hardy made when the Music Box relocated, which I gather it did several times - not even the interviewer managed to exactly pinpoint all of them in order...

Thanks again.

One change was the mixer. The Warehouse had a Bozak, the Box a GLI PMX 9000.

edit: that is a 7000, not a 9000.

Last edited by grantb : 09-02-2003 at 03:50 PM.
Old 09-03-2003, 08:25 AM

Thanks Grant. Did you ID the mixer from that picture over at Deephousepage? http://deephousepage.com/cgi-bin/ult...c;f=1;t=035866

Course even that bit of extra info throws up more questions. I'm wondering which Music Box address that was taken at, and if that mixer was installed at Hardy's request...

It's been really difficult to get any solid info on the Music Box, which is quite surprising, considering how historically famous it is. Still, I'll keep trying, thanks to everyone for their input.

Going back to that picture, does anyone know what that unit is, beneath the GLI? I spy three red knobs and I'm wondering if this might be the controls for the subs and tweeter arrays...
Old 09-03-2003, 09:10 AM

that unit is

Quote:
Thanks Grant. Did you ID the mixer from that picture over at Deephousepage? http://deephousepage.com/cgi-bin/ult...c;f=1;t=035866

Course even that bit of extra info throws up more questions. I'm wondering which Music Box address that was taken at, and if that mixer was installed at Hardy's request...

It's been really difficult to get any solid info on the Music Box, which is quite surprising, considering how historically famous it is. Still, I'll keep trying, thanks to everyone for their input.

Going back to that picture, does anyone know what that unit is, beneath the GLI? I spy three red knobs and I'm wondering if this might be the controls for the subs and tweeter arrays...

a RLA 3way x-over to control the system
Old 09-03-2003, 12:06 PM

I was hoping you'd say that!
Old 09-03-2003, 12:30 PM

The RLA X-3000

Quote:
I was hoping you'd say that!
That IS what that IS! The Ubiquitous Richard Long crossover!